Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aria

DeSavyok Elfhame Tarot by Robin Artisson

Prolific author Robin Artisson is making a tarot deck based on RWS system.

The deck is in the making, although few cards are already out. I find the images just... beautiful.

He started a gofund campaign to raise money for the production of the deck, and this is also were the card images have been published http://www.gofundme.com/elfhametarot

I love the idea and the style of it, but I think that the contribution he's asking for (250 usd for securing a deck+book+a large print) is way too much for most people. I'd be happy to pay less and just get the deck.

What do the tarot users among you think?

Aria

I altered a deck digitally, printed and laminated it for a lot less than that, and now I like every card in the deck.

Given his 'name', he'll probably get it. $250 seems over the top to me. A friend of mine tried to Kickstart her Tarot deck. I don't do Tarot but I pledged some money. Not anywhere near $250 but she's a friend, after all. Didn't get it funded but she actually got it accepted by a publishing company so it's all good. (If anyone's interested, google the Minoan Tarot.)

I like the quality of the images, so far-very nice art! However, I am not personally a fan of Robin Artisson or his work-so there is that. Also, if I were going to put $250 into a tarot deck/book...it wouldn't be that one. I'd invest $250 into an antique deck, perhaps, or a deck better suited to my path/tastes (perhaps even using it to buy the supplies needed to paint my own deck).

However, I am sure his fans will love it. 30k sounds like a lofty goal to me, but who knows, maybe he'll get it.

MW looked at the link and like her art as well! Again, not my cup of tea, but I think the Minoan deck is pretty unique looking.

Right now I am busy drooling over the images in Tarot by Seven's "Deck of the Bastard" & "Deck of the Dead".

(link for anyone who's interested in viewing images: http://www.tarotbyseven.com/)

I agree. I actually made the remark about the huge amount of money to pre-book a deck, and he said this is a fund-raiser and not a pre-sale. I personally hope if the deck is produced, it goes on sale with a much lower price tag.

Anara, the 'Bastard Tarot' looks identical to the Book of Thoth Tarot by Etteilla (which I use regularly and is one of my absolute favourite. It is also known as 'L'Oracle des Dames').

I'm curious to see what the differences are, I can't really spot any -at least in the major Arcana. Here's a link, if you like the style you may want to give it a look http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/book-of-thoth-etteilla/ .

Aria

I agree. I actually made the remark about the huge amount of money to pre-book a deck, and he said this is a fund-raiser and not a pre-sale. I personally hope if the deck is produced, it goes on sale with a much lower price tag.

Anara, the 'Bastard Tarot' looks identical to the Book of Thoth Tarot by Etteilla (which I use regularly and is one of my absolute favourite. It is also known as 'L'Oracle des Dames').

I'm curious to see what the differences are, I can't really spot any -at least in the major Arcana. Here's a link, if you like the style you may want to give it a look http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/book-of-thoth-etteilla/ .

Aria

Interesting! I do love the style. Thank you for the link-these cards are gorgeous! This reproduction deck you posted is a lot easier on the wallet than the Deck of the Bastard as well, which is always a plus.

On the deck itself and the images; Yes, looking at those images from the link you provided, looks like she took heavily from one particular deck. Honestly, I can't see any differences either, so far. Here is what she says on her etsy page about the creation of the deck;

"I always wanted a vintage deck. But they were so expensive. I saw them on eBay (over $500) and even then, the old decks did not have the same cards we use today (no Hanged Man, & with odd cards like "Birds & Animals" & such). As an artist, over the years I tried to design a vintage - looking deck...but, I could never make anything I was happy with.

In frustration, I finally bastardized several vintage decks, including the Egyptiens Fortune Telling Cards by Delarue France in the 1890's, the Dames deck and the Rider Waite deck for most of the pips. I added vintage edges in the borders and photo-shopped antiquing onto each individual card (NOT dropped into a single TEMPLATE! ), and unified them with similar colorings. For the back, I used an antique book cover that I edited."

link; https://www.etsy.com/listing/121041618/the-deck-of-the-bastard-the-most-unique?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=deck%20of%20the%20bastard&ref=sr_gallery_6

I've read tarot for close to 20 years. But I am suddenly finding it less than appealing to read. No one knows who created tarot and the current cards are all rider Waite forms of cards so just a little over 100 years old. And those aren't my images. They don't really tell me anything about myself. They aren't my symbols. I am finding myself creating my own divination tool.

So I am not interested in robin artisson 'a cards. I don't even like the artwork.

Maybe time to try a different oracle? I find that over time I tend to alternate; runes, tarot, even those dice that one of our members ( the hoodedman) cooked up. Sometimes its fun to use one to check the other.

Re the Artisson deck: it isn't speaking to me; but tarot decks are soooo personal. The artwork is sort of primitive- whimsical; nice colors though.