• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:23 AM

Prolific author Robin Artisson is making a tarot deck based on RWS system.
The deck is in the making, although few cards are already out. I find the images just... beautiful.
He started a gofund campaign to raise money for the production of the deck, and this is also were the card images have been published http://www.gofundme.com/elfhametarot

I love the idea and the style of it, but I think that the contribution he's asking for (250 usd for securing a deck+book+a large print) is way too much for most people. I'd be happy to pay less and just get the deck.

What do the tarot users among you think?

Aria

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#2 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

I altered a deck digitally, printed and laminated it for a lot less than that, and now I like every card in the deck.

#3 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:22 PM

Given his 'name', he'll probably get it. $250 seems over the top to me. A friend of mine tried to Kickstart her Tarot deck. I don't do Tarot but I pledged some money. Not anywhere near $250 but she's a friend, after all. Didn't get it funded but she actually got it accepted by a publishing company so it's all good. (If anyone's interested, google the Minoan Tarot.)

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#4 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:44 PM

I like the quality of the images, so far-very nice art! However, I am not personally a fan of Robin Artisson or his work-so there is that. Also, if I were going to put $250 into a tarot deck/book...it wouldn't be that one. I'd invest $250 into an antique deck, perhaps, or a deck better suited to my path/tastes (perhaps even using it to buy the supplies needed to paint my own deck).

However, I am sure his fans will love it. 30k sounds like a lofty goal to me, but who knows, maybe he'll get it.

MW looked at the link and like her art as well! Again, not my cup of tea, but I think the Minoan deck is pretty unique looking.

Right now I am busy drooling over the images in Tarot by Seven's "Deck of the Bastard" & "Deck of the Dead".

(link for anyone who's interested in viewing images: http://www.tarotbyseven.com/)

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#5 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:28 PM

I agree. I actually made the remark about the huge amount of money to pre-book a deck, and he said this is a fund-raiser and not a pre-sale. I personally hope if the deck is produced, it goes on sale with a much lower price tag.

Anara, the 'Bastard Tarot' looks identical to the Book of Thoth Tarot by Etteilla (which I use regularly and is one of my absolute favourite. It is also known as 'L'Oracle des Dames').
I'm curious to see what the differences are, I can't really spot any -at least in the major Arcana. Here's a link, if you like the style you may want to give it a look http://www.aeclectic...thoth-etteilla/ .

Aria

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#6 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:51 AM

I agree. I actually made the remark about the huge amount of money to pre-book a deck, and he said this is a fund-raiser and not a pre-sale. I personally hope if the deck is produced, it goes on sale with a much lower price tag.

Anara, the 'Bastard Tarot' looks identical to the Book of Thoth Tarot by Etteilla (which I use regularly and is one of my absolute favourite. It is also known as 'L'Oracle des Dames').
I'm curious to see what the differences are, I can't really spot any -at least in the major Arcana. Here's a link, if you like the style you may want to give it a look http://www.aeclectic...thoth-etteilla/ .

Aria

Interesting! I do love the style. Thank you for the link-these cards are gorgeous! This reproduction deck you posted is a lot easier on the wallet than the Deck of the Bastard as well, which is always a plus.

On the deck itself and the images; Yes, looking at those images from the link you provided, looks like she took heavily from one particular deck. Honestly, I can't see any differences either, so far. Here is what she says on her etsy page about the creation of the deck;

"I always wanted a vintage deck. But they were so expensive. I saw them on eBay (over $500) and even then, the old decks did not have the same cards we use today (no Hanged Man, & with odd cards like "Birds & Animals" & such). As an artist, over the years I tried to design a vintage - looking deck...but, I could never make anything I was happy with.

In frustration, I finally bastardized several vintage decks, including the Egyptiens Fortune Telling Cards by Delarue France in the 1890's, the Dames deck and the Rider Waite deck for most of the pips. I added vintage edges in the borders and photo-shopped antiquing onto each individual card (NOT dropped into a single TEMPLATE! ), and unified them with similar colorings. For the back, I used an antique book cover that I edited."

link; https://www.etsy.com...ef=sr_gallery_6

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#7 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:56 PM

I've read tarot for close to 20 years. But I am suddenly finding it less than appealing to read. No one knows who created tarot and the current cards are all rider Waite forms of cards so just a little over 100 years old. And those aren't my images. They don't really tell me anything about myself. They aren't my symbols. I am finding myself creating my own divination tool.
So I am not interested in robin artisson 'a cards. I don't even like the artwork.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#8 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:14 PM

Maybe time to try a different oracle? I find that over time I tend to alternate; runes, tarot, even those dice that one of our members ( the hoodedman) cooked up. Sometimes its fun to use one to check the other.
Re the Artisson deck: it isn't speaking to me; but tarot decks are soooo personal. The artwork is sort of primitive- whimsical; nice colors though.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#9 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:16 PM

Sort of an offshoot- a bit off topic but... do many (any) of you use tarot for spell work?
"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.