8 replies to this topic

#1 Hariasa

Hariasa

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:30 AM

I thought I would post an update about a metaphysical shop located in Boone NC. The Dancing Moon bookstore has been a fixture of downtown Boone for decades, however it has recently undergone some radical changes in the products.

In the past the store stocked a wide variety of pagan books and supplies, however when I recently paid a visit the shop had been completely remodeled and looked like a consignment shop. Plenty of used books, but nothing else (minus a small amount of incense and random packs of herbs).

I don't know if the shop changed hands or the original owners sold the shop, but its sad that the shop has changed. Shops like the Dancing Moon are few in number and its always disappointing to see them change or go out of business.

So if you are planning on traveling to Boone NC, don't expect to find the original Dancing Moon. Does anyone else know of a local shop that has changed or evolved from a pagan shop to something else?

#2 Emberness

Emberness

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:40 AM

Hariasa, I have had the same situation in Minnesota. We had a great metaphysical shop close to my town. From Buddhism, pagan, Native American and Wiccan. An entire variety of books, incense, statues, candles, tarot, jewelry ect...

I had not visited for about 8 or so months. The next time I went to shop, it turned into a heavily Christian themed metaphysical store. Angels, bibles, candles, and essential oils. There were no items containing pagan or even Wiccan material. I had been going to the original store since I was a child. I had asked the shop keeper what had happened and you know what she said? "We don't deal with the dark arts anymore, only love and light."

I am not sure what happened to change the owner's mind and move in this direction. I will say I won't go back.

~ Ember

#3 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

It seems that since the show Charmed :rolleyes: went off the air, there is much less interest in Witchcraft and things metaphysical. A look at Witchvox shows that where I live there are only 14 registered, whereas before there were about 250. It's just dwindled since the end of the series. There might be other reasons too, but that is one observation I made.

#4 Hariasa

Hariasa

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:16 PM

"We don't deal with the dark arts anymore, only love and light."

I am not sure what happened to change the owner's mind and move in this direction. I will say I won't go back.

Wow that's really disappointing. I love the quote. :ohmy: I know you can make a lot of purchases through the Internet now-a-days, but there is a certain sense of community with a local shop. I will also probably never return to the Dancing Moon. I also can't believe that the number of shops dropped that fast Autumn Moon. I wonder if pop culture movements really do impact the "pagan economy".

#5 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:28 PM

Ember, if you make it down to the Cities, there are a couple of good shops. One over on Lake Street, one in Dinkytown.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#6 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:51 AM

There was a shop in Texarkana where I live called Modern Primitives that had great books and supplies, but mostly sells drug paraphernalia and has evolved into a head shop and piercing parlor.

There was also a little bookstore in Hot Springs, AR that I would stop at every time I was there. I go about once a month, it's ridiculously beautiful. However, the bookstore stopped selling occult books and supplies because, according to the owners, it "frightened the local and tourist shoppers and scared away potential customers," which in turn, scared me. I beat a hasty retreat before he broke out his bible and proceeded to thump the shit out of it.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#7 Emberness

Emberness

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:25 PM

MW thank you!
~ Ember

#8 melshuster

melshuster

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:35 PM

The closest thing to a metaphysical shop that exists anywhere near me (that I know of) is the Earthbound Trading Company about 35 miles from me.  :-(  I wish there was something closer.

#9 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

There's a wonderful little shop, about 3 miles from me called simply Magick!  They recently had a re-furb and I was worried that it would all go downhill, but thankfully not.  As Hariasa pointed out, it's great to have that sense of community in a place.  The last time I was there, the owner was in full discussion with two youngsters, about what 'utensils' to use for practising on the beach, to avoid rusting LOL

Be nice or go away!