Jersey Devil

Dark Phoenix

Greetings all,

Now, most of you are not from the state I am living in (New Jersey) but you may have heard of the famous Leeds Devil. For those who do not know I will tell you the story. Sit back, and relax!! LOL! Okay. In the 18th Century Deborah Smith, an immagrant from England, came to the Pine Barrens of New Jersey and married Mr. Leeds. Mr. Leed was a rather vain man and wanted to continue his family name through several heirs. After bearing her 12th healthy child, Deborah was dismayed to find she was pregnant with a 13th child. She was so angry, she cursed the unborn child and wished it to be a devil. Well, her wish came true and she found her newly born baby to have hooved, horns, and a tail (Nice huh? LOL!) Anyway, the 13th child ate the other children and the parents and proceeded to climb out the chimney.

I have been through what is said to be the devils hometown. It is on a road called Leeds road or something and the area I have been in is called Smithville (its a historic like town made up of shops..really cool for any history buff like me lol) I still have yet to go to the remains of the Leeds house. However, as an avid reader and fan of Wierd New Jersey, I have seen a video on youtube of the two WNJ guys interviewing a man who claims to be a distant relative of Lady Leeds. He even shows the guys to the house. I will try to post it here!!

Does anyone besides me believe in the Leeds Devil or the Jersey Devil??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUWKN-JM4nw

Enjoy!!!

Joe :twisted:

Thats a really interesting legend DP! Enjoyed the video too. Is it the original creature 'born' to Mrs Leeds (very long lived) or do people think it is a descendant? :evil:

Ya know that is something I have always wondered. Perhaps the original creature found a mate? I really dont know but I sure would love to know.

I'm open to possibilities, but can't believe in something I have no first-hand knowledge of...

That said, Tom Brown has some interesting stories about the Jersey Devil, several of which included his own actions being credited to old JD.

Guest 53rdspirit

Hey Dark Phoenix.

I lived in South Jersey for 18 years and visited the Pine Barrens often and went to Smithville probably 50 or more times to go to the antique shops, ride that hokey little train with my kids, and eat at the restaurants.

NO I don't believe in the Jersey Devil. :rofl:

LOL,

53:evil:

LOL! Dont ya just love Smithville!!?? I love it. Especially the Irish shop they have there...and once again like I said in the Bigfoot thread..not everyone is a believer!! LOL!

Historic Smithville is great! We lived down the way from there last summer and spent a day wandering the stores, stocking up for holiday gifts.

Never saw the Devil... not for lack of trying.

Guest 53rdspirit

My male friend at the time would not stay in the Leeds area after dark (well, it is VERY dark in the Pine Barrens at night). I always wanted to stay --I wanted to see the (Jersey) Devil for myself even with the warnings that it would tear me apart! :eek: I have a "Jersey Devil" teeshirt that I purchased a long time ago (my husband wears it now). It has a depiction of the little guy on it.

Perhaps I should have gone to a crossroads and played a guitar?

"You can run, you can run, tell my friend Willie Brown

That I got the crossroad blues this mornin',

Lord, baby I'm sinkin' down"

---Crossroad Blues by Robert Johnson

lol..thats cool..My dad has a hat that from the cranberry festival down there with a depiction of the Jersey Devil on it...its cool..and now that my Grandparents live down near that area again, I get to go down even more often than I did..lol

Guest 53rdspirit

That's neat. I don't believe in the Jersey Devil, but just the legend makes the place (Leeds) kind of eerie.

I think folklore and legends start with a true person or event and just evolve over time, oftentimes being changed quite drastically. I believe that way-back-when there may have actually been a deformed child born in Leeds and people thought it was a devil, etc., etc., but I don't believe that to this day there is this half/devil half/human creature roaming the Barrens/Leeds.

--but, its fun to imagine there is "something" in those woods....:rabbit2:...eeeeek!

• 7 months later...

I grew up on stories of the Jersey Devil. But everyone I know who claims to have seen him gives a description that sounds like Bigfoot, rather than the cloven-foot description in the legends. I kinda wonder if the story of a deformed child, fears of the devil, and sitings of a Bigfoot-like creature have over time evolved into the stories we hear today in the south part of New Jersey.

I have camped alot in the Pine Barrens as a teen, but I was always more scared of the wild packs of dogs rooming the Pine Barrens then the Jersey Devil. Then there was the summer that a tiger got loose from a small zoo.... But hey that never stopped us from going camping and drinking out there. LOL!

I grew up on stories of the Jersey Devil. But everyone I know who claims to have seen him gives a description that sounds like Bigfoot, rather than the cloven-foot description in the legends. I kinda wonder if the story of a deformed child, fears of the devil, and sitings of a Bigfoot-like creature have over time evolved into the stories we hear today in the south part of New Jersey.

I have camped alot in the Pine Barrens as a teen, but I was always more scared of the wild packs of dogs rooming the Pine Barrens then the Jersey Devil. Then there was the summer that a tiger got loose from a small zoo.... But hey that never stopped us from going camping and drinking out there. LOL!

lol nice...have you ever made your way down to Smithville when you lived in Jersey? I think I mentioned it in here before.

Yes. I traveled around quite a bit in that neck of the woods.

lol nice...have you ever made your way down to Smithville when you lived in Jersey? I think I mentioned it in here before.

• 1 month later...

I've been in NJ all my life. When I was 10 or so, I remember being in summer camp, and during a short hike we all came across a pile of .. um.. you know, but it was a weird, deep orange color. One of the kids started freaking out and claiming it was the from the Jersey Devil, I think that's the first I ever heard of him/it.

I've been down to Batsto and area, and, IIRC, saw a cabin ruins that some claimed was the Leeds cabin (not sure about that though).

Personally, I don't know. There might be something out there.

I'll probably have a better chance to find out in a few years, when my son is older, I hope to take him with me down to the pine barrens and use my telescope there to get some good views of the night sky. (It's too light polluted where I live)

Whether or not the jersey devil really exists, can't say for sure. However I have a funny little story about it. My family has always summered down the Jersey Shore, and when I was about 5 years old (I remember this like it was yesterday) it was my brother's 10th birthday and he was having a party. Well, all the kids started teasing him that the jersey devil was going to come and get him. They chanted "j-e-r-s-e-y d-e-v-i-l" over and over till my brother freaked out, ran into his room screaming and crying like a little sissy. Took some time to calm him down to get him to come out of the room. I remember laughing along with all the other kids and didn't understand why he was taking it so seriously?we were only playing a game. I will never forget that. Still tickles me now, when I think about it.

I'm moving to New Jersy soon, so I will have to pay a visit to Smithville. Of course I won't be telling my children why we're going!

Check out Batsto too.

I'm moving to New Jersy soon, so I will have to pay a visit to Smithville. Of course I won't be telling my children why we're going!

Archived