• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 AngelValentin

AngelValentin

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

Something that has always scared me when I was a child were urban legends about what lies in the darkness. I have read only few stories about the figures known as "Shadow People" and they're doesn't seem to be much info on them as I've tried to find. The only thing I know about them is that they are entities that are purely shadow. They have form but no mass and only seem to be seen by people in the corners of their eyes or in dim light and far away.They typically look like hooded figures and sometimes one of the forms is called "The Hat Man". The few things I know also say that when they're around they don't move just constantly staying still as if they are watching. What exactly are Shadow People? Do they have something to do with magic? Are they a type of demon or spirit? Ghost? Whatever they may be they have been known in different folklore and legends all around the world from America, Europe, Asia and Africa but one thing that all of them have in common is that they just seem to watch you. Watching and waiting, as if nothing else around them gets they're attention. Do any of you have stories or information about these beings? Or experiences?

Attached Files

#2 Tamara

Tamara

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:08 AM

The shadow folks I encounter always seem to move. I'm not sure what they are but they come in many forms. I have a humanoid one that likes to stand on the the top of the stairs and peek around the corner. He's been there for years and seems harmless. I've seen some slither on the floor in the kitchen while I'm cooking or under my bed while reading a book. One time I was woken up by a shadow that look like a cape floating above me and it kept coming closer until I told it to leave firmly. Most of the time they seem harmless.

If I notice an increase in activity with the shadows I cleanse with sage. I think the ones that look like a blob could feed off your aura or energy body so I do that as a precaution.

Edited by Tamara, 22 July 2015 - 04:12 AM.

#3 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:42 AM

Here are some threads you might like sifting through:

http://www.tradition...-your-thoughts/

http://www.tradition...similar-things/

I have had some experiences with shadow entities, sometimes regularly. I feel like there are different types/classifications of them so perhaps a little more research might help narrow what you're looking for :)

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#4 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:28 AM

My son's dad and I both had recurring nightmares about a particular shadow man named Marliss, what you may call "The Hat Mat," faceless, in shadow, and deadly. He and I both dreamed of this man for years, along with another girl from our hometown. This is the first reference I have heard to the Hat Man outside of the three of us, so when I read the OP I almost spit coffee all over my laptop in shock. I was all :jawdrop: because I have never even discussed this with anyone.

Tbh I always though Shadow People were what meth heads saw when they had been up too long and looked outside. I've been in law enforcement so long I'm getting jaded.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#5 AngelValentin

AngelValentin

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

Here are some threads you might like sifting through:

http://www.tradition...-your-thoughts/

http://www.tradition...similar-things/

I have had some experiences with shadow entities, sometimes regularly. I feel like there are different types/classifications of them so perhaps a little more research might help narrow what you're looking for :smile:

Thanks caps!!!

#6 AngelValentin

AngelValentin

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

I'm kind of seeing a pattern here that i didn't think about before. Mostly shadows and the figure called the "Hat man" always seem to take place when people are asleep or near awakening. It makes me wonder if shadows are able to manifest themselves from people's dream worlds? Possibility?

#7 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:25 PM

I'm kind of seeing a pattern here that i didn't think about before. Mostly shadows and the figure called the "Hat man" always seem to take place when people are asleep or near awakening. It makes me wonder if shadows are able to manifest themselves from people's dream worlds? Possibility?

---
Perhaps the real question is: what if they're always there, and we just don't see them unless we're in the transition phase between sleep and wakefulness? ;)

#8 AngelValentin

AngelValentin

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:35 PM

---
Perhaps the real question is: what if they're always there, and we just don't see them unless we're in the transition phase between sleep and wakefulness? :wink:

Yes That's kind of what I'm thinking

#9 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:27 PM

They're always there. We're not always in a state of mind to sense them.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#10 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

They're always there. We're not always in a state of mind to sense them.

I have talked about that with several meth users before, and they told me that hallucinating from meth induces the same sensory awareness as other hallucinogens, allowing the user to sense the unseen and thinning the Veil somewhat. I have found through talking (but not using, I have never used meth, I find the stuff abhorrent), but have done so with other substances such as LSD, psilocybin (sp?) mushrooms (A lil Super Troopers, I know, lol), flying ointments, mescaline etc etc and have found that the Shadow People are more visible in such a state...almost tactile in some instances, as if they were dense enough to touch, or real enough to leave a scent trail, if that makes sense. It sounds to me like meth induces that state a little too easily for the user, because all the people I know that have really gotten OUT THERE on dope have told me long, drawn-out tales about their encounters with Shadow people, including games of hide-and-seek, great crowds of Shadows in the yard....I could go on ad nauseum.

Meth is a bit of an epidemic where I live, and so I have talked about the Shadow People with a lot of people, anyone from neighbors and co-workers to inmates at the jail at work and random people in the check-out line at Walmart. I never mentioned my dreams about the "Hat Man," or Marliss as he showed himself to me, before...until now.

I think they are more common to to Muggles than most witches realize, now that I think about it. They may be one of the few glimpses to the other side that the Muggle is allowed, or maybe feathery fringes of the Otherworld making their presence known, not just to Witches (who I would assume are the most common contact for non-human entities with humanity), but to the human presence that is near. This is just me ramble-thinking though, so I may be way off base here.

Edited by RachelLiz, 23 July 2015 - 02:52 PM.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#11 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:49 PM

The problem with that is that Muggles see most things as shadows when they see it. Trying to figure out what they're seeing is pretty much based on the behavior it exhibits.

Shadow People, as I know and speak of them, are made of shadow. The range from near mist to solid enough to shake hands (if you wanted to ;). For whatever reason, they're found en masse in big old cemetaries (and they film most of the documentaries about them there). They elicit feelings of cold and fear, usually in the belly area. They are not tied to the area they reside in and are known for following people home. They seem to like to fuck with the inexperienced and/or weak. (just like most other assholes out there).

Are we talking about the same class of entity?

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#12 Nabu

Nabu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:07 PM

I have no direct experience with most of the shadow people , other than the little things out of the corners of my vision which move rather quickly. my experience comes mostly from what my daughter and grandson have told about what he has seen when he stayed at certain places with his dad ( custody thing ) at night or just before dawn . He has described the " hat man " as the guy from Mad comics as the Spy VS Spy guy , hat and sometimes with red glowing eyes, also others around at the same time. He has also described events with the hat man where the man was behind him with his hands on his shoulders squeezing him and hurting to a point I can't recall exactly but I would say that he ( grandson ) may have mentioned about there being sharp fingernails on his hands , really can't be positive about the nails , been a while since he spoke of the Shadow people since he doesn't stay there anymore and was like when he was about 4 or 5 years old , he's now 10 and hasn't spoke of them for some time now. Everybody perceives some things differently , but the Hat Man seems to be omnipresent to a lot.

Nabu

Strong of Heart wins the Day , let not yourself be dismayed !

#13 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:03 AM

I have seen, what I would think are "shadow people" a couple of times and what I saw was like absolutely nothing else.  The things I saw were shaped like a silhouette of a person a blackness that no other shadow can match. Im hoping that this makes some kind of sense-  But, the color is so deeply black I believe if you were in a room with all the lights off this entity would still be visible because it would still stand out as a shade of black that is more black than the darkest normally occurring darkness.  Confused yet? Sorry, not sure how else to explain it.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#14 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:10 AM

Fuligin is what I call it, thanks to Gene Wolf's adoption of the term: the black that lies beyond black, an utterly nonreflective surface, the absence of all visible radiation.

On the tour of Luray Caverns, they used to turn out the lights for a little while at the end. There are shadow things down there, and it's well worth the trip to see them if the guides still do that. They are an unforgettable fuligin.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#15 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:43 AM

Who knew there was a term for it:). Interesting.

You know looking over this thread it seems like there are some very different entities that are getting lumped together under this term... Of course I could be mistaken. I'm very early in learning to differentiate spirits as a witch. I can tell good, neutral, and "get the fuck away from it" pretty accurately:), though.
Ill put it this way, there are "shadowy people" literally that used to hang out in my daughter's room when she was little or so she told me, that I feel were different things entirely than these blacker than black entities. These seemed to be people that I think liked to hang out with in the dark while she slept just cause they knew she was still young enough to see them. They didn't scare her once she got used to them, she'd say " oh I had a dream and woke up, then I was just talking to the people in my room for a while"- all very casual and matter of fact.
There was a hatted man we also had around a very long time ago- he would screw with the same kid when she was still in her crib and scared the shit out of her and consequentially me. I know kids have nightmares and mine have had plenty- which were completely different than these experiences so hopefully I'm not getting a nutters certificate for this post. But when a baby who can barely talk would start screaming "the man the man" in full on terror and pointing at an empty part of the room and everytime this happened, I'd get a mental image of the same dude- it was a bit unnerving.
Now strictly based off memories of impressions I got from these things- I'd say three different things. Also, I'm not sure the other two, but I feel fairly strongly the "fuligin" things (if I can use that term) are pretty damn far from ever having been human. The second time I saw one it was the shape of a 10-15 year old boy and was hanging out in a coal mine in the general vicinity the tour director was telling us they used to employ boys that age for a certain task. So you would THINK it was some kind of uber black ghost. BUT, I got the feeling it was very damn far from being the ghost of a little boy and was just masquerading as close to something innocent as it could muster.

Edited by Oroboros, 09 March 2016 - 10:08 AM.

#16 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:11 AM

Humph, ironic the term for lampblack and I saw that one in a coal mine...

#17 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:17 AM

The fuligin things don't seem to be sequestered in dark areas only either. My mother tells a story of being little and sitting in the living room and playing paper dolls when "very very black man shaped shadow" walked through the room and seemed to slip out the window. My favorite part of this story was the fact that apparently all the adults (they had been in the kitchen, one room away) believed her and were so terrified they did EVERYTHING together the rest of the evening including going to the bathroom :).

#18 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

Shadow folk can be quite startling, and I am sorry your little one was bothered, but it could be worse. My line gets visions of skeletons coming after us from infancy onwards, which I have at length learned is nothing but the handsome bones of our dead wanting to tuck us in at night, but damn if I know how to explain that to a baby. Witch or no, cuddles are the only answer.

#19 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

Isn't that the truth:).

#20 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:35 AM

Oh and I meant to say, that good/ bad/ gtfo is not at all beginner level differentiation, so give yourself more credit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: demons, entities, shadows, beings