7 replies to this topic

#1 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:46 PM

So okay, I give up on this one. Often enough I can research the things I feel driven to make, the words I feel compelled to utter, the practices I need to follow, and discover that someone out there also makes or does something similar, or like enough that there's no reason not to call it the same. This one though, it's a toughie.

Natural wood, holly from the center of a small tree. Not a terminal bud, as the tree has those pruned out regularly. A little longer than your average wand, about the length of my entire arm. One end is a point, for directing energy in the way of a wand, but the other end is also a business end. It has three prongs that spiral out and then closed, and is the gathering end. It isn't a wand, or a spindle, or a stang (goodness it threw a hissy when I suggested it might get shod), or a distaff (the wool would get stuck in the spiral). It is for controlling storms of all sorts. More than anything it looks like a stretched-out dorje, which is a magical implement used in the Himalayas, sometimes said to be thunderstones. It's asked for ornaments of skin, feather, and red stone.

Has anyone else ever used, or even heard of, this tool?

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#2 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:32 AM

It may just be it's own, and be yours as well. Maybe you are supposed to name it.

Ask and see, the worst it can say is "No."

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#3 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:39 PM

It sounds a bit like what I have known to be called a storm rake. A three pronged instrument. It brakes up weather patterns like dragging a rake across the sky but can also hook onto and drag in particular weather. Has it indicated any agricultural and fertility abilities?

#4 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:21 PM

I've heard of it...3 pronged stang, used for various ritual.

Interesting about the weather rake. Last week, we had this wicked storm move in. Started pounding us with baseball size hard ice hail...a lot of it. I got up, faced the direction the storm was coming from (stayed in the house of course), use my arms and hands above my head in a separating motion, while telling it to disperse and go away. Did this for the other three directions. By the time I reached the last direction, the hail stopped, and the storm moved on...30 seconds in total from when the hail started. The storm move to another area and pounded the hell out of it...sorry folks, but I wanted my area safe.

#5 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:22 AM

Two spronged blackthorn can be use for hexing, closest thing I've heard this, but I a mo weather witch?

Have pic of a really kickass version of the tool? Curious, melerly

I understand if you don't want to share images of your working implements.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#6 Levinthross

Levinthross

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:26 AM

Sounds beautiful but maybe it's more of a thorn or hook the way it would snag onto clouds n storms or a rod like in the fishing rod sense because you'd be using it to wind up energy as well as cast it out

#7 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:09 PM

I'm weird about photos of myself and things... childhood reasons. So no pictures, not because I'm stingy, they simply don't exist. I am so happy that someone else knows about these, and delighted to have a name for research purposes. The agricultural angle is intriguing, but unfortunately no I haven't felt that from this tool. This rake, that is to say, how lovely to have a proper term! Mostly I feel as though this is for turning and calling storms, and mainly for protecting this home from big dangerous ones. Given that it is holly, and from the dooryard garden, that would make sense. I'm still gathering its proper ornaments, for instance grey leather has been hard to get hold of. I have black pieces, but no apparently that won't do.
Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#8 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:33 PM

What a beautiful find, Christine. I'm sooooo happy for you!
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.