Photo
- - - - -

Meditation

Meditation technique

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#21 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:03 AM

I just let the thoughts come and go. My biggest hurdle over meditating was thinking that my mind had to be "quiet" all the time in order for it to work. Then I was told that hardly ever works and it's best to just let the thoughts come in and let them go. To not be hard on yourself when you do have thoughts (crap I forgot to do this, or that lady was so nice today, whatever)..any thoughts. The key is to not be hard on yourself for having them and letting them go the moment you do. Don't dwell on the thought or dwell on the fact that your brain isn't being completely quiet, etc.

Also, breath work helped me IMMENSELY!! Specifically counting. It gives my brain something to do and the thoughts don't intrude quite as easily.
'
+++++++++++++++++++++
^^This. Counting helps me too. It helps me to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. As long as I'm sitting upright (if I lie down I fall asleep), I'm good to go. Sometimes I practice my clairaudience this way. More commonly, I start by walking down a stone staircase to the bottom of a dry well. From there, I can choose one of several doors--all of them go to different places, like the forest, the seashore, or even deeper, to the underground lake. For me, the feeling is like being on a boat rocking from side to side very fast.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#22 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

Izzie,

I just let the thoughts come and go. My biggest hurdle over meditating was thinking that my mind had to be "quiet" all the time in order for it to work. Then I was told that hardly ever works and it's best to just let the thoughts come in and let them go. To not be hard on yourself when you do have thoughts (crap I forgot to do this, or that lady was so nice today, whatever)..any thoughts. The key is to not be hard on yourself for having them and letting them go the moment you do. Don't dwell on the thought or dwell on the fact that your brain isn't being completely quiet, etc.

Also, breath work helped me IMMENSELY!! Specifically counting. It gives my brain something to do and the thoughts don't intrude quite as easily. I started by breathing in for four counts, holding that breath (at the "top", if that makes sense) for four counts, slowly letting it all out in four counts, and "holding" it (your breath, or lack thereof technically) there for four counts, then repeat. The first time I did that I was able to meditate for 30 min easily, then an hour, then one time even went into the elusive "trance" I keep chasing, lol.

I also increased the counts after a couple of days- So breathe in deep for 6 counts, hold for six, let out for six, hold for six, etc., until I finally got it to eight counts (which is what I currently do unless I've been naughty and haven't meditated in a week or so). I also think this is the same concept behind a mantra. It keeps your mind focused on one thing- and the "Ohm" thing is such a powerful sound it vibrates your entire body and you lose all that crap in your head.

I'm not saying that crap won't still be there later, LOL- but you can successfully meditate w/o it constantly going off in your head w/just a little bit of practice. Trust me, I never thought in a MILLION years I'd be able to mediate...and neither did my hubby or my mentor!!

The Buddhists call it the Monkey Mind, it runs all over the place if you let it. The key is to tether it with a one pointed focus of awareness, such as breathing, a candle flame (which can end up in scrying), closing the eyes and listening to what you hear without getting attached to it, and other methods.

To get to 'no thought or an empty mind' there is a method of 'following the train of thought to it's origin, and then before that to see where the thought came from....often one finds there is no origin, and then (at least for a time) one can experience "no thought, an empty mind".

#23 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:11 AM

HA!! Autumn Moon literally took everything I was about to say. Monkey Mind is completely normal,and can be tamed down a bit, but some days, it won't cooperate, and that's totally fine. I find focusing on an object or candle flame is the best method for calming my mind. Just staring intensely, letting my eyes relax and unfocus. I AM thinking something, but it's just a picture thought of whatever object I'm concentrating on. Sometimes I hold mala beads and rub them/count them. And sometimes, I'm just in the zone and need no aids. It all depends on the day.

*Edited because, apparently, I couldn't type worth shit when I first posted this...

Edited by Evergreen47, 20 September 2015 - 05:55 AM.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#24 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:15 AM

Ookay, this is weird because I don't do mind-stilling meditations, lol, and then the other night after this was posted, I came across one and I really liked it, lol.

M

#25 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

HA!! Autumn Moon literally took everything I was about to say. Monkey Mind is completely normal, but can be tamed down a bit, but some days, it won't cooperate, and that totally fine. I find focusing on an object or candle flame is the best method for calming my mind. Just staring intensely, letting my eyes relax and unfocus. I AM thinking something, but it's just a picture thought of whatever object I'm concentrating on. Sometimes I mala beads and rub them/count them. And sometimes, I'm just in the zone and need know aids. It all depends on the day.

____

:laugh: