Photo
- - - - -

Meditation

Meditation technique

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

I'm working on following my breath in meditation and it seems to be working fairly well, but my mind is not exactly quiet.

When you meditate, are you focusing on quieting the mind shutting out thoughts completely, or are you letting thoughts pass through without being attached to them? There's always a ton of chatter in my mind, but that's normal for me so I'm letting the thoughts just pass through. Just curious about your techniques on meditation. Are you able to quiet the mind into silence? I'd like to reach that point some day.

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#2 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

Izzie, there are different types of meditation for different applications, and I think it's good. I meditate, but I'm not after satori. I get the results that I want without that. Is it really something you need or just an achievement you're chasing? I had to ask myself that a while back. I don't stress myself over meditation goals anymore.
Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#3 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:55 PM

It's a personal goal. I think my overall success would be better if I could just quiet down the mind. I'm specifically looking to improve my clairaudience and clairsentience as well as spell deployment. Someone I know described it like "meditating as if your head is on fire".
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#4 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Poking not recommended

• Moderators
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

I imagine I am a tree by a river and all my thoughts float past me in the water, affecting me as minimally as possible. I try to be an inhuman as possible, even if it is just for a few seconds.Makes it easier to let it go: "That would piss me off but I am a tree."

I also do string of thought meditations, where I fuel the thoughts - try to think of many things as possible, preferably unrelated thoughts you string together obscurely and as quickly as possible. It'll wear your mind down a bit and sort of gives results like meditation.

Active meditation helps me too. I can rarely sit/lie and meditate. So, yoga, tai chai, walking, exercising THEN sitting and meditating, stretching, etc all work better for me. Even cleaning the house makes it easier to meditate

Edited by Ravenshaw, 15 July 2015 - 05:06 PM.

RSKHFMY

#5 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:34 PM

Izzie - when you are meditating and you have an itch do you itch it? I found part of getting to that level of mind control where you can focus on one thing to the exclusion of all others, you have to learn how to control those sensations and urges first.... It's not easy at all, and takes a lot of practice.... But eventually the sensations and itches or pains can also teach you things about yourself - an itch can turn into a deep emotional release if you stay strong and dont scratch it....

I used to meditate an hour a day.... Then I stopped for a few years.... I am just starting again - about a weak ago actually.... Starting with 15min, then adding 5min every week till I get to wherever feels like a good stopping point. Been a long time since I was into sitting meditation - I always preferred the more active ones like walking meditations, or doing visionary meditations.... Since it has been so long I thought it was worth doing a experiment to see if it is still something I want to leave behind or if I should try to stick with it again... It's supposed to be good for physical and mental health, so worth trying again!

#6 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

That's cool. I remembered that there is a meditation guide at wildernessawareness.org called Owl Eyes that reminds me of stuff I have been doing for a long time. It works really well with the high shallow breathing you might be using.

I also like moving around, Travsha, but I can't walk too much or I just fall over.

Ravenshaw, this is the second time today you made me laugh like Eddie Murphy.

edit, posted before I was done

Edited by Christine, 15 July 2015 - 03:46 PM.

#7 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:03 PM

I imagine I am a tree by a river and all my thoughts float past me in the water, affecting me as minimally as possible. I try to be an inhuman as possible, even if it is just for a few seconds.Makes it easier to let it go: "That would piss me off but I am a tree."

I also do string of thought meditations, where I fuel the thoughts - try to think of many things as possible, preferably unrelated thoughts you string together obscurely and as quickly as possible. It'll where your mind down a bit and sort of gives results like meditation.

Active meditation helps me too. I can rarely sit/lie and meditate. So, yoga, tai chai, walking, exercising THEN sitting and meditating, stretching, etc all work better for me. Even cleaning the house makes it easier to meditate

----
Very nice! I'd like to try the tree meditation. I've never tried active meditation but it sounds promising :)

#8 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

Izzie - when you are meditating and you have an itch do you itch it? I found part of getting to that level of mind control where you can focus on one thing to the exclusion of all others, you have to learn how to control those sensations and urges first.... It's not easy at all, and takes a lot of practice.... But eventually the sensations and itches or pains can also teach you things about yourself - an itch can turn into a deep emotional release if you stay strong and dont scratch it....

I used to meditate an hour a day.... Then I stopped for a few years.... I am just starting again - about a weak ago actually.... Starting with 15min, then adding 5min every week till I get to wherever feels like a good stopping point. Been a long time since I was into sitting meditation - I always preferred the more active ones like walking meditations, or doing visionary meditations.... Since it has been so long I thought it was worth doing a experiment to see if it is still something I want to leave behind or if I should try to stick with it again... It's supposed to be good for physical and mental health, so worth trying again!

----
I gotta admit that if I itch I scratch & try to move on. That's lack of discipline on my part lol!!! I just need to keep working on it and try the active meditations.

#9 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Poking not recommended

• Moderators
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

Ahem.

RSKHFMY

#10 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:32 PM

Imma hafta get a red leather tuxedo, if you keep it up.

#11 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Poking not recommended

• Moderators
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:43 PM

Hahaha

RSKHFMY

#12 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:30 PM

I say I meditate, but in craft-related "meditations" I don't do it in the "Yoga" style of clearing the mind, so it might not actually be meditating. (If I want relaxation ,then I do a more Yoga thing but I concentrate on my breathing and slow it down to 2 breaths per minute which gives my mind something to count so that takes care of keeping out intruding thoughts, lol.) For craft-related meditations perhaps it would be more accurate if I called it "extended periods of purposeful extreme focus" lol but it's just easier to write "meditate." So in meditation - craft type or Yoga-relaxation type - I don't actually clear my mind. Especially in craft-related "meditation" because my goal in those is usually info or contact or knowledge, so I need to be open to head-communications, not blocking them.

M

#13 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:54 PM

Ahem.

----

I LOVE it! Ha ha ha!!!! Seriously I'm gonna do this meditation.

#14 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:24 PM

I've been meditating for years, I love it to relax, focus and look within for answers

I would advise you to just briefly acknowledge the thought and then don't fight to push it out, just simply watch it float away and keep redirecting to your breathing

I like to visualise a shimmering white or golden light streaming down from the sky and feel it spreading through my body. Each part of me it fills, it gives a warm and tingly sensation. I talk my autistic son through this at bedtime and it really helps him to relax

I have a cottage I visit where I sit on a threadbare couch covered in knitted shawls in front of a roaring open fire. There is a creaky wooden staircase behind me and that's where my visitor comes from to join me ( usually my Aunty Lily's)

The other one is my very first one I ever used. Walking down a path, reach a gate, go through into a garden. Find a bench and look around. After a short while you may get joined by spirit. In this one I make a point of observing the flowers, what I'm wearing, the river washing over rocks, the ornate carving on the gate etc. you become so engrossed, you won't even notice you have an itch!

Sorry I've completely rambled, oops

Star x

#15 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

Sounds like a lovely cottage to spend time in Star :)

#16 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:56 AM

Yeah it's my special place to get answers and comfort mostly. It's like an old cunning wise woman's place. Herbs drying in bunches and charms dotted about. Outside it is rolling hills of heather. I'm almost certain it's Scotland. Although I've only ever been to Edinburgh I wonder if I have an ancestor who lived there

It's the kind of place I'd love to live actually lol

Have you got a "special place" you get taken to?

Star x

#17 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:30 PM

Well you never know Star.. Maybe in a past life you lived there.. and who knows..Maybe you will :)

#18 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:07 PM

You never know :-)
Star x

#19 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:42 AM

depending on your mind-set and your belief system, you could try chanting while your meditate?????

M

#20 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:32 AM

Izzie,

I just let the thoughts come and go. My biggest hurdle over meditating was thinking that my mind had to be "quiet" all the time in order for it to work. Then I was told that hardly ever works and it's best to just let the thoughts come in and let them go. To not be hard on yourself when you do have thoughts (crap I forgot to do this, or that lady was so nice today, whatever)..any thoughts. The key is to not be hard on yourself for having them and letting them go the moment you do. Don't dwell on the thought or dwell on the fact that your brain isn't being completely quiet, etc.

Also, breath work helped me IMMENSELY!! Specifically counting. It gives my brain something to do and the thoughts don't intrude quite as easily. I started by breathing in for four counts, holding that breath (at the "top", if that makes sense) for four counts, slowly letting it all out in four counts, and "holding" it (your breath, or lack thereof technically) there for four counts, then repeat. The first time I did that I was able to meditate for 30 min easily, then an hour, then one time even went into the elusive "trance" I keep chasing, lol.

I also increased the counts after a couple of days- So breathe in deep for 6 counts, hold for six, let out for six, hold for six, etc., until I finally got it to eight counts (which is what I currently do unless I've been naughty and haven't meditated in a week or so). I also think this is the same concept behind a mantra. It keeps your mind focused on one thing- and the "Ohm" thing is such a powerful sound it vibrates your entire body and you lose all that crap in your head.

I'm not saying that crap won't still be there later, LOL- but you can successfully meditate w/o it constantly going off in your head w/just a little bit of practice. Trust me, I never thought in a MILLION years I'd be able to mediate...and neither did my hubby or my mentor!!

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo