1 reply to this topic

#1 WhiteRaven

WhiteRaven

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:28 AM

My kids and husband love this stuff so much, I can make 2 lbs and they eat it all in a matter of hours on bread, tortillas, or just a bowl! I call it sloppy hamburger and serve it on buns with the usual condiments to pick from like bbq sauce, ketchup, mustard, sliced tomatoes, sliced onions, etc. You can also use it for Americanized tacos.

1-2 lbs raw ground beef
2 cups of chicken broth (or one small can) say no to reduced sodium
4 whole cloves (the spice not garlic)
2-3 cloves of garlic minced (optional)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (1 tsp if you aren't adding fresh minced garlic too)
2 tsp dry parsley

Add it all to your skillet or pot. REFRAIN from adding salt. I know you want to....don't do it. The broth gives it enough.

Cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes, checking on it, stirring, and breaking it up as it gathers all the flavor of the liquid. Covering keeps the liquid from cooking down too fast. If it's less than an inch, it's time to finish up pronto. Ideally, you should retain at least 2 inches of liquid at the end. Never let it dry up.

Add 1 tbs sherry cooking wine 5 minutes before you're ready to serve it, 2 tbs if you're cooking closer to 2 lbs of beef. Stir to evenly distribute, cover and cook on low to cook out the alcohol.

Shut off heat, drain 90% of the liquid (the little bit keeps it moist) and (optional) sprinkle with cheese to melt.

Note: the liquid makes a fantastic gravy base for another meal so don't toss it! Just add it to your bechmel or stir in a cornstarch slurry.

#2 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:18 AM

It's loosemeat, right? Like they do in the Midwest, instead of burgers? I haven't spent time in that part of the continent, just read about it on Roadfood... so, like a sloppy joe with no tomato or peppers cooked in. I like the cloves.
Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#3 WhiteRaven

WhiteRaven

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:06 PM

Yes, loose meat. I serve it just like a sloppy joe without the sauce. On homemade buns it tastes amazing. But it's a great basic recipe to use anytime a recipe requires ground beef.

I started making them this way because my toddler likes eating anything small that he can pick up with his fingers and he hates hamburgers even when I cut them up. It's really difficult to get him to eat meat, so I have to be creative and flavorful. But surprisingly, my daughter and husband loved it so much, they started requesting it.

And I'm from Chicago, so reference to the midwest makes perfect sense. Does it show that much? :P