• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

I have been planning this experiment for a month or two, and last week finally got around to it - creating a Amanita Muscaria based "Holy Grail". I got the recipe from this free pdf: http://www.ambrosias...mmortality2.pdf
The tech is on page 60. Basically you get dried amanita pieces to grow a new fungus on the inside of a terracotta clay bowl by feeding it grape juice, and the juice will become infused with the fungus and becomes your "ambrosia" or psychedelic drink. Feeding the amanita pieces this juice causes them to grow a new fungus on the inside of the clay bowl and this new fungus is your Holy Grail which should give you an endless supply of ambrosia (you can extract every week once the grail is finished). I started my grail a week ago, so the fungus is still maturing - I need to wait another 2 weeks about for it to be ready for more grape juice.... But creating the grail did provide my first batch of ambrosia to test out!

Yesterday was my first experience drinking the "ambrosia" (infused grape juice) from what will be my grail. So basically juice infused for 8-9 hours with amanita and then watered down (2 parts water to one part juice). Tastes good actually - like grape juice with a hint of amanita (and amanita taste pretty decent). I drank about a third of what my first batch produced - it was about 2 wine glasses worth. I drank the second wine glass about 90min after the first one, because I was testing out dosage strength.

The come-on of the effects are a little slow and gentle which I liked.... Felt like a light alcohol buzz at first, but then when I closed my eyes I would see lots of colors, geometries and visuals. I never had any nausea throughout the entire experience. About 90 min in it seemed like it had peeked and I wanted a little deeper experience so I drank the second glass which took another hour or so to fully peak.

This amount of amanita was certainly enough for me to know I had consumed amanita and I got a decent feel for the mushroom, but normally I would like a slightly more powerful experience - next time I will probably drink what I have left of the ambrosia in one go to see what a stronger experience is like (I have about 60-70% of the infused juice left). Amanita seems really nice by itself, but I could also see it working well with psilocybin mushrooms added if the moment felt right....

Main experience consisted of very thoughtful meditations and reflections on life, interesting visuals, and at a couple points I also felt like my body was drifting away... I think a higher dose might have caused out of body experience....

I also had a very strange synchronicity when I decided mid-journey to go for a short walk at the park next door:
I saw to boys playing together, and they looked like brothers about 2 and 4 years old. The younger one sat on the grass and looked at me and I thought "Wow, he looks just like my brother at that age!" Then the older one called back my brothers name to the little child! At that point I realized the two boys were a look alike match for my brother and I.... And the younger boy called my name to the older brother! Was pretty trippy! lol.... These synchronicity type patterns seem to be a hallmark of the amanita to me, and I am curious to see how they progress with more experience....

Overall I would say this was a nice gentle introduction to Amanita and a very enjoyable experience with some insight and a good deal of relaxation. I think larger doses will be more insightful, and maybe also a little more challenging which I look forward to. I would certainly recommend the grail method so far - seems to produce a light and gentle psychedelic that is tasty and easy to make at home. If you made your own clay bowls and foraged your own mushrooms it could also be potentially free to make and can last you a lifetime (if you bought both the bowl and the mushroom online it would be close to $40-50 which still is cheap for an endless supply of amanita).

Arc of effects went something like: 30 min till first effects felt, 90 min till full effects felt, then experience lasted 8-9 hours before I went to bed still feeling the effects. I woke up this morning with some minor residual after-effects which are pleasant - no hangover of any kind. No nausea during any part of the experiment. Before bed I did smoke a little cannabis which was nice and complimented the experience - had a really deep experience listening to icaros in bed as I fell asleep....

Now, this was just the first batch of ambrosia that came from my first infusion which is how you start the grail.... I havent gotten to test out yet how the new fungus will infuse my juice. It still needs another 2 weeks I would guess to get to the right spot that I can feed it more grape juice.

Here is a pic:
http://soulremedy.fr...ment/download/4

You can see why the Holy Grail is not for the faint of heart! Looks pretty gnarly! Smells good though, and the notes I am following say it is supposed to look scary but smell nice, and the colors of the fungus so far match what the notes describe (amanita pieces have turned black and hard and there is a white/grey hairlike fungus growing all over the bowl). The white fungus will be my new grail if everything keeps working out.... I hope it does, as I really want to go deeper with this medicine and so far the grail was really nice to work with....

I will keep posting updates as the grail progresses and especially after I get to try my next infusion with the new fungus from my grail!

#2 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:11 AM

Any chance you'd share your finished Holy Grail w/a fellow witch or two for a fee? :wink:
I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#3 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:05 PM

You can actually make more Holy Grails from the first one - all you have to do is drink the ambrosia from another terracotta bowl and then let it air dry without cleaning so it can grow the fungus itself! I plan on making a few if they keep going well.... Not sure how they would ship though lol.....

I feel like I have a special connection with amanita and expect things to progress well with it - so even though it is a newer "teacher" for me, I expect I will at some point offer ceremonies for others with this similar to other ceremonies I currently offer with other "teachers." I like to have lots of experience with things before I offer them to others though, so not sure when it will happen yet...

#4 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:48 AM

Where can I find a "starter kit" if you will for them from a reputable company?
I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#5 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:07 PM

I dont know what a starter kit is.... Amanitas are legal in USA and most countries and also grow on every continent besides antartica, so they are easy to find. I forage mine, but a friend got theirs here and had good results with a tea they made: https://eternityinab...ton-state-caps/

#6 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:09 PM

Travsha.....

I'm glad that you had an enjoyable experience, however......

You did not provide information on how to detoxify these mushrooms(they're hepatoxtoxic!) so that they are safe for consumption. You did not weigh them, or mention whether they were fresh or dried. You did not provide information pertaining to what would 'normally' be considered a 'safe' dosage range. You did not provide information about side-effects and potential medication interactions. You did not mention doing an allergy text. You did not mention anything about having a trip-sitter to promote safer consumption, never mind that you are presenting information about a deliriant. You did not mention the differences in strength between the different varieties.

And so on and so on and so forth. Ad nauseum. Can you see where I'm going with this?

You DID provide information concerning their legality and cost, effectively making them available to all and sundry irrespective of safety concerns.

You DID mention mixing the amanitas with another psychoactive substance.

Despite all of that, I did find the content well written and very interesting! Again, I am sorry for being so harsh with my opinion!

-Aurelian

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#7 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:14 PM

Aurelian - All the info you say I didnt post is in the pdf I posted. He goes over it way more thoroughly in that 134 page book then I could here, and that is why I did not list the entire instructions for making the grail. What I posted above is not enough info to make the grail without the pdf, and I meant it that way. The pdf is included for a reason.

I wasnt posting directions or a how-to - I am only sharing my experience here. For the instructions you gotta read the pdf which also has the safety info.

The pdf linked above has all the practical and safety info you need to make the grail and work with it safely. Also - if you use the right Amanitas they are not toxic! You dont need to detoxify them in any way - though if you properly cure them they will give you less nausea and more of a visionary effect. I also did not use a sitter and never have used one in my 10+ years practicing this type of work (I consider them optional, and have never been in danger myself or in need of a sitter).

Edited by travsha, 03 July 2015 - 09:18 PM.

#8 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:01 PM

I find this method to be quite interesting, perhaps useful. I may try it some time, thanks for sharing it!

I have many of the same concerns as Aurelian, but mine are mostly attributed to the proper identification of A. muscaria and its subspecies. While there are very few look alikes to a warted, bright red fly agaric cap, some areas of the world have orange toned or yellow toned (even a white one!) subspecies and variants and can be very dangerous when someone is rather unfamiliar with fungus (or plant identification even). Many many other Amanita species are severely toxic, including Death Caps and Destroying Angels and some can easily be misidentified by novices, especially the yellow or brown toned variants of them (they do exist and can easily be mistaken for an orange A. muscaria without proper analysis!). Stipe analysis, flesh color, cap color, skirt patterns, many things to consider if wild collecting mushrooms. I know people who can hardly identifiy the difference between a red oak and a white oak, yet get them excited about finding mushrooms and they're putting themselves in a potentially lethal situation because they're ignorant about what they're doing. A lot of people want to try things like this but don't properly educate themselves about the dangers and risks.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#9 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

Anyone considering wild gathering had better damn well get hold of a reputable field guide or three, most libraries have those available. I don't think that Travsha comes off as advocating that people run out to the woods and start picking pretty toadstools off the bat. This is clearly an advanced application suitable for an accomplished mycophile. I want to give it a shot for certain, but first I need to bone up on my mycology and finish reviewing the source material.
Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#10 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:15 PM

I do not tell anyone how to identify mushrooms here, and I wouldnt attempt to. By me there are no dangerous look-alikes luckily. We do have the destroying angels here - but those look nothing alike the ones you want (pretty hard to mistake an all white mushroom for a red mushroom with white spots).

In this post I dont give any information on how to pick your own mushrooms or how to make your grail - I only share my personal experience with it. I do include a pdf that has plenty of good info to get you started and it is presented in a very safe way.

If anyone tried to make this without researching things first or tries to pick wild mushrooms without looking up how to identify - they are an idiot and deserve what they get (natural selection). That being said - I do not include enough info for someone to even attempt this unless they at the very least read the above pdf (which lists a couple resources for buying amanitas BTW, and also lists a book to help others identify and forage their own).

I dont see how anyone could attempt to make a grail from only what I wrote though - they would have to imagine and make up most of the steps from thin air. That's why I included the pdf which had more then enough instructions for me to work with this fungus very safely without needing any further research (the pdf has everything you need really).

It seems a bit weird to expect me to include all the safety and identification information needed to work with Amanitas just because I mentioned them. This is not a guide at all, and I dont really see how it would appear as one to someone who read the entire post. It just does not have enough info for someone to copy what I did unless they read the pdf. (this fungus is totally safe BTW, and totally legal where I live). Pleased try researching this mushroom more - it might not be so scary to you if you actually understand it. Driving a car is more dangerous then working with this mushroom.

Edited by travsha, 05 July 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#11 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:58 PM

I' didn't mean to seem like I was implying any of that, and I really do appreciate you posting this here... I know fly agaric is safe (unpleasant to some) but in my area they are light orange to almost yellow (var. persicina) and can actually be dangerous when not properly identified.

I've never had an issue personally with a large dose of it but I know people who "weren't quite right" afterwards.

Edited by Caps, 05 July 2015 - 12:03 AM.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#12 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:13 AM

Aurelian - All the info you say I didnt post is in the pdf I posted. He goes over it way more thoroughly in that 134 page book then I could here, and that is why I did not list the entire instructions for making the grail. What I posted above is not enough info to make the grail without the pdf, and I meant it that way. The pdf is included for a reason.

Ahh, damn, I didn't read the pdf! Sorry for bitching you out like that, my bad, sorry!

Edited by Aurelian, 05 July 2015 - 09:13 AM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy