Starting a line of communication to the unseen

ShamoonSigil

@ Namedforthemoon-

Crossroads:

You may be familiar with the term liminal space? If not, this is an important concept that can't be fully described in a post- you may want to research. But very basically:

A liminal space is a threshold. The beach is a liminal space, dividing the sea and land. Midnight is a liminal "space", dividing days. A doorway is a liminal space, dividing what is on one side of the door from the other. TRANCE is a liminal space between consciousness and unconsciousness. Liminal spaces are a good way to bridge between the magical and the mundane, this world and the spirit world. In some ways it is a form of representational magic. I hope that makes sense.

A crossroads is a crossroads- literally. Where two roads intersect. For certain special instances a "Y" type/3 way crossroads is used but usually it is simply where two roads form a cross type intersection. These are very common- but finding one good for working at is a little harder. Some areas have desolate crossroads that are not frequented and are conducive to magical workings. There is much lore associated with crossroads in particular that you can read about.

But in short crossroads are a special liminal place/space that is utilized by some traditions for magical workings.

I see! Thank you for the explanation. I will do more research into that, liminal space, especially how it pertains to trancing and divination.

Lots of good comments. I generally use light trance so I can participate in a two way conversation with Spirit. If I'm too far gone it defeats the purpose of contact.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of good comments. I generally use light trance so I can participate in a two way conversation with Spirit. If I'm too far gone it defeats the purpose of contact.

This is so true! If I am asking for answers to something it's pointless to be completely consumed because I won't remember the answers.

I am often working with spirit animals, and one is rather elusive but considering what it is I'm not too surprised. The other one is often...and just as I am about to say silent he decides to plop himself next to me. The most vocal one I have taken a liking to we seem to have this silent admiration for each other, and I ask this spirit simple questions to which I get simple answers. I try to avoid full trances though as mentioned above.

Edited by NightshadeMoon
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

So this post come up under a search for masks, lol. I read through the whole thing as I am starting some work on a poppet soon. I just wanted to add in case some new members take an interest it the topic that after my ancestors the next spirits I had contact with were the wights or land spirits in my home. I started leaving offerings of honey in milk. Warmed just bit to mix well. I have three now. One from the old house, one from the new and one that just showed up. I can feel them very strongly when grounding and making offerings. They are great to work with for anything around the house from protection, to gardening, to energy. They will also move with you if you offer, like the one from the old house. I used a bird house for it to attach to. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I randomly heard and saw spirits as a kid before I'd even started attending school, like the night the neighbor lady's see-through self visited me to say good bye & my parents told me the next day that she'd died during the night. I just took it for granted & the ability sort of followed me until I paid attention in my late teens and worked with a professional medium to develop it.

As a 4-year old I'd sit alone in the wooded area behind our house and listen. I loved the wind in the trees and heard a lot that way. I'd just stay quietly in a half-dozing state and yet focussed and paying attention. I'd make little houses in natural alcoves and under cascades of raspberry canes. I wasn't just playing "dolls" which I thought was boring. The first time I was given a doll I'd floored mom by asking what it was for. My Teddy bear & I already understood each other, so what's the doll for?? Today as I reflect back, I figure my spirit guide probably resided in that old panda bear. I wonder how many kids have a bed-buddy toy like that & don't realize who it is? I dragged that bear everywhere! The time mom ran him thru the washer I stayed right there and waited through the 2nd rinse cycle, and when he was hung by one ear on the clothes line, I'd sat on the grass all day under him...waiting with him. It took him a couple days to line-dry & I decided he was sleeping & gave myself an excuse to leave him to just get on with it.

I know these are valid memories and think that analyzing them could be helpful to someone wanting to start a relationship of their own & maybe discover they already have one in their own childhood or later in forming an attachment to a special place where they sensed something. That half-dozing yet focussed and alert state is probably familiar to anyone who meditates, as would Listening to Nature & making a spirit-house. I didn't know back then that was what I was doing, of course. It's only by looking back at how I got here to this Trad-WC website that it's coming together.

Edited by Zombee

• 3 years later...
On 6/30/2015 at 5:54 AM, Aurelian said:

Hmmm, okies well the person I was thinking of stopped making that particular oil, but this will work just as well...it's tailored to the purpose! This ladies stuff is the shit, tbh:

About: http://www.quadrivium-supplies.com/blog/new-oils-kc-conjure-vision-oil/

Available at: https://squareup.com/market/kc-conjure-shop/quadrivium-vision-oil

These are people I know, btw, the creator and the shop owner, so I'll vouch for them.

Ok, so not all ancestors are created equal. Don't do a general call, do a specific one, to draw in the specific spirits in your lineage who have similar morals/values as you. Those whom you would offend can actually put an ancestral curse on you. Just letting you know. But don't worry about that right now. Try working with your grandfather! Leave out offerings, as described by RS and myself. Don't expect the lot of them to come...over your lifetime, you'll probably work with only a few of them.

Good beginning references would be, "Communing with the Spirits," and since you have an interest in working with demons, get the "Blood Sorcery Bible, Volume One," by Cagliastro, she presents a way to summon your ancestors with demonic help! The authors of both books are people I have associations with, and I will vouch for their work!

Familiars are ALWAYS spirits who can manifest in both animal and human form. There is a method presented in the Goetia that works really well, and it's safe as long as you follow the instructions! You'll end up with an imp most like, and that IS a very traditional familiar. As for guardian demons, get a copy of "Daemonic Magick," by Seleneicthon.

Let me know if I missed anything, or if you need more info!

Resurrecting an old thread that I stumbled on somehow - not even sure what I was searching for now - but wow what an amazing amount of information here.  Just want to thank all of you for your sharing your wisdom, I've learned so much from reading through this. 

Aurelian:  You've sent me down a rabbit hole LOL - picked up Cagliastro's book as you recommended and its been so mind-opening it's insane.  At first I read it through out of curiosity, and at times I wasn't sure this path was for me (still not 100% sure it is) especially when she speaks about Sorcerers being people of the dark.  I am a witch of the light if you will; a morning person, sun loving, give me the beach any day and a garden full of beautiful plants to talk to.  But the more I read, the more I wondered if this path requires a witch to be a person of the night.  I am a novice with this path obviously so could be totally misunderstanding, but does one have to necessarily be of the dark to be a necromancer? She mentions that the discarnate she works with prefer the dark and she obviously knows what she's talking about, so that's why I'm wondering if this path really is for me.  That said, I do work with blood all the time in my spell work, I commune with the dead/spirits and am not put off by what she talks about at ALL.  Anyways, just musing here so thought I would ask for anybody's thoughts who know more than me - would love more of a discussion on this subject because it has fascinated me. 🙂

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your wisdom - these conversations are why I'm on this forum in the first place.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how old I was when I realized that not everyone sees and hears spirits. I had to learn to see and hear selectively to avoid being overwhelmed. I tend to get messages from people's deceased cats these days. I pass them along, and usually find out that they're accurate. I can't reliably turn off those communications. Cats are champions of ignoring, but not of being ignored. 

10 hours ago, StanLily said:

Cats are champions of ignoring, but not of being ignored. 

They are also masters of intention, they do absolutely nothing that they don't want to do...

6 hours ago, Sagefire said:

They are also masters of intention, they do absolutely nothing that they don't want to do...

Pretty sure Spirit barfing on my coffee cup this morning was intentional. That cup is going for a looooong ride in the dishwasher.

Edited by StanLily

Oh that's just nasty.  even worse than finding the surprise barf on the bathroom floor in the middle of the night with your bare feet...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember when I thought one of the neighborhood cats was in the garage. I took a closer look, said hello, and quietly went back in the house. The adolescent skunk didn't  spray me.

Yes!  You are very lucky!  I had a cat called Bob, he was a Manx with a stubby tail.  He got sprayed right in the middle of his chest, what a stink!  All I had to wash him with, at twelve o'clock at night, was baby shampoo.  It took a while, three changes of bath water and a lot of cat crying.  I got him clean.