Starting a line of communication to the unseen

ShamoonSigil

Ravenshaw - necromancy sounds like a pretty heavy subject to start out with. You are much braver than I! Have you posted any about your attack when hedge working? I that would definitely be something we could all learn from.

I could see respecting nature spirits much more than human spirits for sure. Do you think they can have a mutual respect for us humans? I imagine we make it hard for them to.

I'm really stoked about finding what my strengths are with this area. I don't suppose you have advice on knowing what your strengths are? Right now I'm not sure I have any.

Also, how do you respectfully back out? I feel like that could get ugly on its own.

I would love to hear more about storm entities! Is that an elemental spirit of some kind. Storms make me feel ecstatic. I don't know of anything else that makes me feel like that.

Not braver, just blind at times. I have not posted anything because it was quite personal. Plus, it has been said on this board many times before - every time you jump in, it's like turning on a light beacon. Things will come to it, absolutely.

I definitely do not think nature spirits, in general, have respect for us. We have ruined their regions, poisoned their water, killed the species they oversee, rampaged their forests and deserts and plains, the sea will never be rid of plastic and the once wild planet we lived on is now covered in pavement. They hate us, in general, and want us dead. Some natural spirits do respect us, and some do not seem to care - what is happening IS what is "natural", and we are part of nature. Some nature spirits will never see us, we are simply not even a blip on their gigantic radar.

The only advice I can give, and keep in mind this is probably not the best advice but the only thing I can offer as truth - if you dabble, they will come. Good and bad, they will come. And, by working with them, you *may* find your strengths - and you will definitely find your weaknesses. If you already have a talent, like seeing the dead or hearing plants, try putting fuel on that fire, where you are already stronger. Meditate in different places, see what you feel. Feel them watching? Listening? Near you? Try reaching out.

How to back out..... stop doing whatever you're doing, ASAP. Then, put on your big girl panties and get ready - you might need to muscle "it" or "them" out. The "how" of this depends on what you're dealing with. Humans tend to be sneaky, but easier to push out. What affects humans will not affects smaller astral leeches or some larger things. It's hard to say.... I have gotten rid of things by pushing them out with banishing powders, cleansing the grounds, pushing it out by sheer will, using piss, salt, coffee, candle spells, cord spells - hell, I've even ripped them apart and eaten them, if they were small enough. But, each time something happens, it is a different set of hurtles, and I learn something new each time. And usually have a mess to clean up after, some how, some way.

The storm entity I dealt with was odd. Not sure if it was the storm or something riding under the guise of the storm, but the storm was her home. No idea how the relationship will affect me, but it did give me a sense of individuality with each storm - they are all different, and perhaps should be treated as such. Just like how there are species spirits versus individual being spirits....there are "storm" entities, and entities within a storm.

Edited by Ravenshaw
  • Upvote 1

Aurelian- I can induce trance states pretty easily I think. I have done scrying quite a bit. However I never really seem to have much of a goal in mind. Abramelin oil.. I've heard of that. Abramelin as in the Egyptian Mage? Do you have any online recommendations for that? As far as my protective juju goes I'm still learning that as well. Perhaps I should focus on that first? Right now I'm trying to read psychic self defense.

And for establishing relationships with my ancestors should I just put out a general signal to them and see who is interested or focus on one in particular? The only dead family member I was close to was my grandfather. People tell me I'm a lot like my grandmother but she died before I was born.

Finding a familiar is really exciting to me. I want to find one! Any tips on that? Physical or astral? I am an also super curious about a guardian daemon. Demons and the goetia are new interests of mine.

Hmmm, okies well the person I was thinking of stopped making that particular oil, but this will work just as well...it's tailored to the purpose! This ladies stuff is the shit, tbh:

About: http://www.quadrivium-supplies.com/blog/new-oils-kc-conjure-vision-oil/

Available at: https://squareup.com/market/kc-conjure-shop/quadrivium-vision-oil

These are people I know, btw, the creator and the shop owner, so I'll vouch for them.

Ok, so not all ancestors are created equal. Don't do a general call, do a specific one, to draw in the specific spirits in your lineage who have similar morals/values as you. Those whom you would offend can actually put an ancestral curse on you. Just letting you know. But don't worry about that right now. Try working with your grandfather! Leave out offerings, as described by RS and myself. Don't expect the lot of them to come...over your lifetime, you'll probably work with only a few of them.

Good beginning references would be, "Communing with the Spirits," and since you have an interest in working with demons, get the "Blood Sorcery Bible, Volume One," by Cagliastro, she presents a way to summon your ancestors with demonic help! The authors of both books are people I have associations with, and I will vouch for their work!

Familiars are ALWAYS spirits who can manifest in both animal and human form. There is a method presented in the Goetia that works really well, and it's safe as long as you follow the instructions! You'll end up with an imp most like, and that IS a very traditional familiar. As for guardian demons, get a copy of "Daemonic Magick," by Seleneicthon.

Let me know if I missed anything, or if you need more info!

Edited by Aurelian
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

It is good stuff...I'm going to send you both a PM, I'm trying to not give everything away but I'm not so wonderful at the subtle hint thing!

• Upvote 1

So I've decided to start out with working with ancestors first. This seems to be the safest /most comfortable thing to do as of right now. And it sounds like they might even be able to provide me with some protection. I think I may start building an alter for them today. My grandfather is who I'm going to try first.

I've been thinking of what things to give as offerings. I associate him pretty heavily with tobacco. He smoked a lot in his lifetime. However I'm not sure if it would be negative or not since smoking is basically the reason he passed. (As I said that just now I've been getting faint whiffs of tobacco!) so what do you guys think. Should I not give him tabacco since that is what caused his death? I get the feeling he would still like it anyway.

Also I'm wondering if I should place a talisman of some kind on the alter for him to inhabit while we are visiting? Do people do that with ancestors?

Tobacco is a very good offering for spirits, so that is not at all inappropriate.

One of my good, local friends has a pack of Camels sitting on her mothers 'shrine,' which is just an ancestral altar although she is catholic, and there have been no problems with the interactions.

A talisman is appropriate, although it won't be a talisman anymore...it will become a fetish!

• Like 1

Ah very good. I haven't heard the term fetish used in that way before.

I'm learning so much here MYHEADISGOINGTOEXPLODEILOVEIT :vhappywitch:

• Like 1

The only offerings you have to worry about is something that caused a strong addiction in life, like alcohol for an alcoholic or heroin/pills for a drug addict. A libation can be a lovely offering, but if they had a problem with it, they will still get *too much* energy from it, in a bad way. Also, avoid salt - it sucks energy away from the spirit.

I have given offerings of tobacco and more...ahem...green things, to the spirits who liked it. Both worked quite well.

• Upvote 1

When my Godfather needs a boost of energy - he gets a big ass glass of whiskey. "Pretty smelling smoke and water is for the women" LMAO.

But, mostly, everyone on my family shrine really thrives on coffee.

• Like 1

I've been meaning to sit down and reply to this. I have only glanced at the replies and I agree that ancestor work should always be first.

Was it something you sought out or was it something that sought you out?

I couldn't help it. Since I can remember spirits were both a positive and negative influence in my life. Growing up, some were my best friends/allies, others enjoyed torturing me every chance they had. I was a natural medium and thought that my toys were talking to me (not spirits). The nice ones that looked after me either appeared like animals or hid behind the guise of a well loved plush toy. And they made sure my family knew I wasn't crazy, by telling me to tell them things I would have never known. Sometimes I would talk along with them fully and scare my sitters that wondered how a toddler suddenly sounded like a mature adult. It was sink or swim for me. I received the crash course.

Are you experienced with all of the above or just one or two?

All of them.

What is your usual method of communication?

I see them and hear them everyday of my life. There was only a small period between the age of 9 and 14 that I went through a very stressful times with a parent custody battle that I stopped hearing them. But it came back once that was over. During the time I was deaf to them, I used a pendulum to communicate to my guardian/guide. I believe the anxiety connected with communication in general at the time caused it to shut down.

Do they have names?[\b]

Of course, but they almost always lie about their real ones at first, giving a nickname instead or what I like to call a calling card which is either a barbarous sounding name or a sigil/symbol. Some have taken many years before revealing their "true name" to me. Names hold power over the individual.

Anything else you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

Work with one spirit primarily. A leading ancestor is a great choice if they are willing. Learn to hear them. It's always easy to open up with one spirit at first. For a while they may be the only one you can hear well. If things aren't working out with that spirit, try it with another one. There are three reasons you can be "deaf" to a spirit.

(1) protections against harm or spells for truth if the spirit isn't good for your well-being or likes to lie.

(2) they could just suck at projecting a voice. Just like we all have different strengths and weaknesses, some spirits are better at auditory communication, others are better at visual communication, and still others cause you to "just know" without word or sound.

(3) Fear or distrust. This is why it's best to work with one and why it takes time. The more comfortable you feel, the clearer you will hear them. And once you open that door wide enough, you'll hear any spirit.

And the absolute most important thing concerning spirit work is to be able to recognize and defend against attack. It can be very subtle.

Some amulets and protections are too strong and can shut your senses down. These are good only if you get into trouble. I suggest the combination of black tourmaline and hematite as one example.

You want to find a comfortable middle that keeps you safe without creating an impenetrable barrier. I use silver, brass, diamond and ruby to cover all bases. I discovered the effectiveness of ruby on accident when it saved my ass against a black elf I ran into while helping an Asatru friend of mine. Not friendly beings! They're what is referred to as night hags.

Diamond needs serious upkeep though. It likes to harbor any energy that it touches and amplifies it. I smudge mine often and take it off when I am sick, sorrowful, or moody. It's a pain to maintain but worth it.

• Upvote 1

Diamonds, being the hardest known natural material on Earth, has its strength in being tough. It's clarity demonstrates its purity. Colored diamonds are tainted diamonds. And taint lowers its hardness. When it's pure it also lets the entire spectrum of light through it. They're very old, being compressed tightly in high heat to be created. They've been through a lot. The only thing that can cut diamond is diamond...lasers are cheating :P This all explains its personality as it is known in magick.

It's a material of strength and strengthens anything that shines through it as well as strengthens the wearer and in this way of likened to the Helm of Awe as an amulet.

"The Helm of Awe

I wore before the sons of men

In defense of my treasure;

Amongst all, I alone was strong,

I thought to myself,

For I found no power a match for my own."

--Fafnismal

The only thing that can truly alter it is another diamond. The superstition goes that you should never wear the diamond of a deceased person or that was set in a wedding ring if the marriage didn't last. The idea is that the diamond holds onto what it has "experienced". Diamond really does have an amazing memory, but it isn't impossible to cut away something that has darkened its presence. I've done it before, but it takes another diamond that has preferably never been worn.

Most of the time, the "memories" balance out and the diamond won't give you any troubles. But that doesn't prevent it from reflecting the energy that has most recently passed through it. This is why I try to limit their exposure to things I do not want around me much less strengthened. Besides smudging, I also like to store any diamond I own with sage and citrine.

Edited by WhiteRaven
  • Upvote 1

That actually explains quite a bit.

I always wear my engagement ring and when sick, stressed, moody, etc - I clean way more often. It seems to have it's own internal shine and when that dims - I clean it.

I'm thinking that it would be a shame to lose this to time in a communication thread. What do you guys think about threads that discuss care of stones and such? I think it'd be great.

Great posts, WhiteRaven! +1

What do you think about black diamonds set in white gold to shut down communications? I received a pair of such as a gift(earrings, specifically) and I don't wear them often. Is this typical, perhaps, or just random to myself? I don't know enough about stones to evaluate that effect vs other stones.

On the other hand, I have a really nice blue flash moonstone ring that seems to help a little bit!

RR....I'd be interested in reading such a thread!

Eidolon, remember this, please: If you do an open call to your ancestors(or any kind of spirit, really) to summon them, do NOT 'dismiss' them from your presence without first getting a name from them! Not all ancestors are beneficial, and doing such is one of the ways that people gain nasty spirit attachments. It can be HELL trying to get rid of the problem. I learned this the hard way, and required help from an older, wiser witch to get rid of the damn thing!

• Upvote 1

Aurelian I made a small shrine for my grandfather and put a glass of water on it and saw him in my mind/felt his presence. I didn't think to ask his name since it felt genuine. He has been known to visit in the past. Even with my other siblings. I suppose some spirits could be smart enough to trick me though. I will be more mindful next time we interact. I may decide to take a break though however. My partner and I have both been abnormally moody towards each other and I have felt depressed. I don't think its safe to open myself up to spirits in this state.

I think since I have expressed an interest in spirits I have been hyper aware and they maybe more aware of me now, so I haven't been sleeping so good. Last night I smudged my bedroom with palo santo and it seemed to help a little.

Hope I haven't already gained a nasty spirit attachment.

I doubt it. Sounds more like a case of nerves and a not fully closed portal.

The energies bleeding through the door that wasn't quite latched make you feel like somethings wrong, you're on guard, waiting for something, because you know something is 'off'.

I have no doubt you have the ability to interact with spirits. I would hold off on that until you get better with opening and closing portals. It takes a little more 'push' than you gave it to latch the doorways.

Is it a mugwart wash that works on mirrors? And what it is about the plant that's used that makes it effective?

Salt, a black cloth, something living like a plant on whatever surface you used. We can manually use physical items to do these things as we learn and practice with them.

Don't be afraid. That's what will draw bad things. You've got this.

Spirits will trick you. Spirits will lie. Just like people do. We don't live in fear of talking to people on the street because if it.

Don't give them special permissions, don't move too fast with any given one. They have more reason to fear you than you do them. That's why they lie and trick, even the nice ones. It takes time to build trust and get to know someone. How many people in your life would you hand over your house keys and car keys to? A spirit opening up to you 100% truthfully is the equivalent. You can't expect that type of trust immediately. They have more reason to worry about talking to you.

The only way spirits up to no good can trick you into gaining access to your home or body is if you let them. Don't ask them to influence you directly (ie: "help me stay strong during these hard times") Don't give them permission to meddle in your life. Don't let them heal you...healing and harming health is a double edged blade. And don't invite them into your bedroom. And you'll be fine. You don't need spirits to do these things for you. Their greatest gift is their knowledge and guidance. A real guide/friend will teach you how to do it yourself. And just like a physical friend, you have the choice to take their advice or not.

A spirit that is willing to give you their keys (in time) is a spirit that you can start trusting.

Spirits are all around you regardless of what you do. This is why I focus on sensing them as they are and not call them to me. I prefer to evoke outdoors or in a room that house guests are welcome (like my kitchen). I've never had to open a portal, although I've closed a few. Spirits will make their own portals.

Mirrors really shouldn't be in the bedroom, but if you can't help it, tape an amulet to it facing into it. It won't prevent it from being a window (you'll still see them in there), but it will prevent them from entering the room.

And about black diamonds, I'm sorry but I'm not sure. I have two pieces of jewelry with black diamonds and frankly don't like the way they make me feel so I have never done work with them. Maybe they do cut off forcefully and that's where the discomfort lies. I'll have to meditate with them. I rely on my senses regarding spirits just as I do my regular sight, hearing, etc. so cutting them off is like putting a blindfold and earplugs on me. It's disconcerting at best.

That makes a lot of sense rose red. Excellent advice white raven. It's funny I read the thing about mirrors not supposed to be in the bedroom multiple times. Each time dismissing it because I thought it didn't apply to me. I had completely forgotten that I actually have a big old mirror in my room. I just took it down and put it in the living room. So hopefully that does the trick. Thank you guys for the help.

I second the thought of perhaps doing things outside if you're specifically calling for contact. Simply because we go to such lengths to protect our homes from intruding maliciousness that to then invite something we don't know inside kind of breaks through the protections. That said, I have often done things inside due to neighbors and the simple lack of a place to do an obvious outside working... but it is worth thinking about.

M

• 3 weeks later...

I just found this post, and I couldn't stop reading it. I don't have much to add that wasn't already said, so I will just give a resource that you can look into further if you're interested. I have an active ancestral veneration practice, which I have been doing for the past 4 years. I recently had a terrible experience with it, and I determined to take a break, regroup, and start over, but that's another story. In order to better educate myself (beyond the material I have been given), I found a wonderful book called "Communing with the Spirits" by Martin Coleman. He defines the difference between a medium and a necromancer. He also gives a basic and tested pathway towards developing your skills in necromancy. I highly recommend the book to anyone considering starting a practice like this. It has been incredibly useful to me in my own journey.

I accidentally published the post twice. Sorry about that, but I can't seem to delete it.

Edited by 2spiritwitch