#41 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:11 PM

Great posts, WhiteRaven! +1

What do you think about black diamonds set in white gold to shut down communications? I received a pair of such as a gift(earrings, specifically) and I don't wear them often. Is this typical, perhaps, or just random to myself? I don't know enough about stones to evaluate that effect vs other stones.

On the other hand, I have a really nice blue flash moonstone ring that seems to help a little bit!

RR....I'd be interested in reading such a thread!

Eidolon, remember this, please: If you do an open call to your ancestors(or any kind of spirit, really) to summon them, do NOT 'dismiss' them from your presence without first getting a name from them! Not all ancestors are beneficial, and doing such is one of the ways that people gain nasty spirit attachments. It can be HELL trying to get rid of the problem. I learned this the hard way, and required help from an older, wiser witch to get rid of the damn thing!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#42 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:38 AM

Aurelian I made a small shrine for my grandfather and put a glass of water on it and saw him in my mind/felt his presence. I didn't think to ask his name since it felt genuine. He has been known to visit in the past. Even with my other siblings. I suppose some spirits could be smart enough to trick me though. I will be more mindful next time we interact. I may decide to take a break though however. My partner and I have both been abnormally moody towards each other and I have felt depressed. I don't think its safe to open myself up to spirits in this state.

I think since I have expressed an interest in spirits I have been hyper aware and they maybe more aware of me now, so I haven't been sleeping so good. Last night I smudged my bedroom with palo santo and it seemed to help a little.

Hope I haven't already gained a nasty spirit attachment.

#43 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

I doubt it. Sounds more like a case of nerves and a not fully closed portal.

The energies bleeding through the door that wasn't quite latched make you feel like somethings wrong, you're on guard, waiting for something, because you know something is 'off'.

I have no doubt you have the ability to interact with spirits. I would hold off on that until you get better with opening and closing portals. It takes a little more 'push' than you gave it to latch the doorways.

Is it a mugwart wash that works on mirrors? And what it is about the plant that's used that makes it effective?

Salt, a black cloth, something living like a plant on whatever surface you used. We can manually use physical items to do these things as we learn and practice with them.

Don't be afraid. That's what will draw bad things. You've got this.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#44 WhiteRaven

WhiteRaven

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:38 PM

Spirits will trick you. Spirits will lie. Just like people do. We don't live in fear of talking to people on the street because if it.

Don't give them special permissions, don't move too fast with any given one. They have more reason to fear you than you do them. That's why they lie and trick, even the nice ones. It takes time to build trust and get to know someone. How many people in your life would you hand over your house keys and car keys to? A spirit opening up to you 100% truthfully is the equivalent. You can't expect that type of trust immediately. They have more reason to worry about talking to you.

The only way spirits up to no good can trick you into gaining access to your home or body is if you let them. Don't ask them to influence you directly (ie: "help me stay strong during these hard times") Don't give them permission to meddle in your life. Don't let them heal you...healing and harming health is a double edged blade. And don't invite them into your bedroom. And you'll be fine. You don't need spirits to do these things for you. Their greatest gift is their knowledge and guidance. A real guide/friend will teach you how to do it yourself. And just like a physical friend, you have the choice to take their advice or not.

A spirit that is willing to give you their keys (in time) is a spirit that you can start trusting.

Spirits are all around you regardless of what you do. This is why I focus on sensing them as they are and not call them to me. I prefer to evoke outdoors or in a room that house guests are welcome (like my kitchen). I've never had to open a portal, although I've closed a few. Spirits will make their own portals.

Mirrors really shouldn't be in the bedroom, but if you can't help it, tape an amulet to it facing into it. It won't prevent it from being a window (you'll still see them in there), but it will prevent them from entering the room.

And about black diamonds, I'm sorry but I'm not sure. I have two pieces of jewelry with black diamonds and frankly don't like the way they make me feel so I have never done work with them. Maybe they do cut off forcefully and that's where the discomfort lies. I'll have to meditate with them. I rely on my senses regarding spirits just as I do my regular sight, hearing, etc. so cutting them off is like putting a blindfold and earplugs on me. It's disconcerting at best.

#45 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:22 AM

That makes a lot of sense rose red. Excellent advice white raven. It's funny I read the thing about mirrors not supposed to be in the bedroom multiple times. Each time dismissing it because I thought it didn't apply to me. I had completely forgotten that I actually have a big old mirror in my room. I just took it down and put it in the living room. So hopefully that does the trick. Thank you guys for the help.

#46 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

I second the thought of perhaps doing things outside if you're specifically calling for contact. Simply because we go to such lengths to protect our homes from intruding maliciousness that to then invite something we don't know inside kind of breaks through the protections. That said, I have often done things inside due to neighbors and the simple lack of a place to do an obvious outside working... but it is worth thinking about.

M

#47 2spiritwitch

2spiritwitch

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

I just found this post, and I couldn't stop reading it. I don't have much to add that wasn't already said, so I will just give a resource that you can look into further if you're interested. I have an active ancestral veneration practice, which I have been doing for the past 4 years. I recently had a terrible experience with it, and I determined to take a break, regroup, and start over, but that's another story. In order to better educate myself (beyond the material I have been given), I found a wonderful book called "Communing with the Spirits" by Martin Coleman. He defines the difference between a medium and a necromancer. He also gives a basic and tested pathway towards developing your skills in necromancy. I highly recommend the book to anyone considering starting a practice like this. It has been incredibly useful to me in my own journey.

#48 2spiritwitch

2spiritwitch

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

I accidentally published the post twice. Sorry about that, but I can't seem to delete it.

Edited by 2spiritwitch, 25 July 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#49 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:50 PM

No worries, that happens a lot here.

Thanx for the recommendation.

#50 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:29 AM

It is really good. If you follow the instructions, it will work.
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#51 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:23 PM

I just found this post, and I couldn't stop reading it. I don't have much to add that wasn't already said, so I will just give a resource that you can look into further if you're interested. I have an active ancestral veneration practice, which I have been doing for the past 4 years. I recently had a terrible experience with it, and I determined to take a break, regroup, and start over, but that's another story. In order to better educate myself (beyond the material I have been given), I found a wonderful book called "Communing with the Spirits" by Martin Coleman. He defines the difference between a medium and a necromancer. He also gives a basic and tested pathway towards developing your skills in necromancy. I highly recommend the book to anyone considering starting a practice like this. It has been incredibly useful to me in my own journey.

___

I'd like to hear about your not so great experience, if your'e willing to share? Also, How does Coleman define between a medium and a necromancer...perhaps you could quote him?

Edited by Autumn Moon, 27 July 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#52 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:44 AM

I read that book. The public library here used to have it. Typically, it's gone missing, now that I wanted to reread it.😬
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#53 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:02 AM

AM....

"In trance mediumship, the medium enters a semi-hypnotic state and allows a spirit to speak through them. This is usually the kind of mediumship which is practiced in the Spiritualist Churches. THis is not a form of necromancy because the true spiritualist medium has no control over what is happening to them. The medium is only the passive vehicle which the spirit uses to give voice to its own words. Being a medium is a good life experience for certain people, and for other people it is good for them at certain times. However, mediumship is not uniformly beneficial for everyone. It is never a practice which the average person should attempt from curiosity alone. In some cases passing a spirit as a medium can be physically as well as psychically damaging to the person attempting to do so."

This is not necromancy, as they are not getting specific information from known spirits.

Necromancers tend to be dominating people, mediums are very passive. Big difference.

That's the quote from the book, page 23.

Edited by Aurelian, 28 July 2015 - 04:04 AM.

#54 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:30 AM

True too! Mediums cannot control who is working within them, whereas necromancers maintain strict control over who is and is not allowed in their space.

RSKHFMY

#55 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

With practice they can.

#56 Leonardo

Leonardo

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:40 PM

Good call 2spiritwitch! Coleman’s book is exceptional. I always point people to it who have a warped understanding of necromancy as some sort of LHP dark fantasy. Most get turned off by the amount of hard work and dedication it takes.

This book has practical techniques that can be applied to any form of spirit work, not just the dead. The basics are all laid out very clear from first developing a relationship with the ancestors to always being properly protected once you start inviting spirits into your life.

I also highly recommend this book.

---------------- γνῶθι σεαυτόν ----------------

#57 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:14 PM

AM....

"In trance mediumship, the medium enters a semi-hypnotic state and allows a spirit to speak through them. This is usually the kind of mediumship which is practiced in the Spiritualist Churches. THis is not a form of necromancy because the true spiritualist medium has no control over what is happening to them. The medium is only the passive vehicle which the spirit uses to give voice to its own words. Being a medium is a good life experience for certain people, and for other people it is good for them at certain times. However, mediumship is not uniformly beneficial for everyone. It is never a practice which the average person should attempt from curiosity alone. In some cases passing a spirit as a medium can be physically as well as psychically damaging to the person attempting to do so."

This is not necromancy, as they are not getting specific information from known spirits.

Necromancers tend to be dominating people, mediums are very passive. Big difference.

That's the quote from the book, page 23.

____
Thanks. My experience differs from what the book says. I was at a open circle at a Spiritualist Church about a month ago, and no one went into deep unconscious trance. I think the majority of mediums today go into a light trance, as it is too draining and dangerous to go into deep trance. The mediums I know are in full control, and they can reject any unwanted Spirit, but I think there is more difficulty in calling and making appear, a specific Spirit, if the Spirit does not want to...in fact the medium would not want to make appear, any spirit that does not want to.

#58 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

That could be. The author wrote this book 17 years ago, his opinion may have changed. I agree though that it is too dangerous to go into deep trance unless you have others there to take care of you. There are a few here who can do it, I know that. But uncontrolled mediumship...any spirit in the area can jump into you, and THAT is incredibly dangerous.

#59 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:44 AM

Thank you for the book recomendation 2 spirit. I will have to give that a read.

So here is an update on everything since making this post:

First off I decided to start with an ancestor of mine. My grandfather. We were very close when I was a kid. He has actually been known to be around in spirit form from time to time. . My brother when he was young saw him. And a psychic told me I had a relative that was watching over me. etc etc. I've even smelled his tobacco scent and felt his presence.

So I made a small alter/shirne for him where I give small offerings of water, tobacco, and pecans. The first time I did it I had a mental image of him putting his hands on my shoulders in a loving/approving way. It gave me chills. But in a good way.

So far I have only been giving offerings once a week. I try to communicate with him via meditation and dreaming but it hasn't come so easily.

However when I was building his alter I was putting random stuff that I sort of relate back to him. Feeling silly I was like " I guess this will work ?? hahaha" and I got a vision of him laughing too. It felt just like we were laughing together.

I picked up this book http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0061350249

It is pretty broad but it got me thinking a lot and it answered a bunch of questions I haven't even really thought to ask. I highly recommend it for beginners if you want basic information about spirits.

Since doing research on working with spirits I had a week or so that I was sleeping super piss poor. I just felt like something was watching me and fucking with me. I was hearing multiple faint voices while trying to fall asleep. My car was locking and unlocking by itself for a while and my bathroom light would flicker etc etc.
I found out later that it isn't recommended sleeping with a mirror in your room. I took it out and smudged the shit out of my house, laid down some ground rules and slept better ever since.

I've found that I'm now more aware of whats around me. Everything is so subtle and on the periphery of my vision.

I've done some work recently trying to find an astral familiar. I've had a few animal forms present themselves to me via meditation/dreams. A polar bear and a falcon the first time. They were actually hanging out together it seemed like when they came to me. And the second time a black Ibis. I feel most drawn to the polar bear for some reason. But I haven't settled on any of them yet. I would like to have more interactions before I agree to anything. I still don't know much about astral familiars so I am trying to be cautious.

So far I've already learned a ton. I'm still excited about pursuing this route. However, I am still open to any suggestions , advice, explanations, or personal experiences. You guys have helped out a ton already. Forever grateful.

#60 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:08 AM

Since doing research on working with spirits I had a week or so that I was sleeping super piss poor. I just felt like something was watching me and fucking with me. I was hearing multiple faint voices while trying to fall asleep. My car was locking and unlocking by itself for a while and my bathroom light would flicker etc etc.

So far I've already learned a ton. I'm still excited about pursuing this route. However, I am still open to any suggestions , advice, explanations, or personal experiences. You guys have helped out a ton already. Forever grateful.

Oooooo-eeeee girly, I haven't read that book, but if this is the results that you've been having I'd be a little weary of following that author's advice. She's written a bunch of general books, and I'm thinking they're maybe a little too general.

It sounds like you're having great progress insofar as the ancestor work.

I'm not thinking that you really need an astral familiar...I'm not familiar with this practice really....why astral though?

I'm thinking you may want to draw a guardian spirit to you, rather than pursuing other work at the moment.

I don't know if anyone else would agree with me, but those are my thoughts.

Edited by Aurelian, 30 July 2015 - 10:11 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spirit, deity, demon, fae