Starting a line of communication to the unseen

spirit deity demon fae

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:59 PM

I think for many spirit type entities you have to start out connecting to the super species of the group and then use that to connect to the sub-grouping or individual. In some ways the super species is the illusion that one must first come to terms with so they can both accept the reality but also understand the reality of it. It's not an archetype as it reflects something different but it is a mental projection of them that is made before you really come to know the group or individual.

Consider the attached image if you will of the deer. The physical deer is easily spotted and recognized yet behind it in the tree's is the super species of the deer that eludes to the illusion of all the Cervidae family of creatures. We easily connect to the physical but it's a bit harder to identify the super species yet the super species is the more general and psychological image we often tend to have of a group. So when you start out to connect often the super species is easier to connect with though like the attached photo it is almost almost an illusion at the same time so more forgiving towards us. Well in my opinion anyway.

#22 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:22 PM

Also good to keep in mind, not all spirits communicate with language. Sometimes they prefer to communicate with action, by being present or absent, or by more primal feelings. Keeping your mind open to the different ways in which something communicates is always a good idea - hell, I've been surprised multiple times. The spirits I work with *rarely* use words, and of the times words were the medium, they were in a different language than English (my native tongue) 3 times.

RSKHFMY

#23 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:08 AM

So many great replies. I'm waiting until I have time/energy to read everything through thoroughly. I didn't expect so many in depth responses. You guys are amazing.

#24 Kaye

Kaye

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:12 PM

All of the comments made by other members are brilliant. My computer mouse is getting worn out with all of the +1 clicks. :biggrin:

The only thing that I feel I can add is the discipline of establishing a baseline. ....Snip.....

"Witch, know thyself" isn't an adage that applies only to Seekers: it's a wise commitment to self-awareness that is critical for safety when dealing with the occult.

I really think that finding a baseline is important. I have had a lot of difficulty, both in mundane and otherworldly situations, with figuring out what is and is not me. I find that keeping a close personal shield helps me figure that out, it's containing energies from me, and letting me know what's coming from outside. That said, getting caught up trying to discern what's me and what isn't, and questioning "Is this real?!?!?!" all the time doesn't really help me any as it will stop me doing anything.
I've found the best ways to start making contact is regular small activities. For me it's keeping up with my ancestor shrine, and talking to and caring for my plants as I work with them. Slowly building a relationship and learning to listen and all that :P

Knowing thyself, it's a great place to start :)

#25 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:57 AM

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I know there are a lot of carefully guarded secrets of the trade and I am beyond thankful for everything that you guys have shared.

Ravenshaw - necromancy sounds like a pretty heavy subject to start out with. You are much braver than I! Have you posted any about your attack when hedge working? I that would definitely be something we could all learn from.

I could see respecting nature spirits much more than human spirits for sure. Do you think they can have a mutual respect for us humans? I imagine we make it hard for them to.

I'm really stoked about finding what my strengths are with this area. I don't suppose you have advice on knowing what your strengths are? Right now I'm not sure I have any.

Also, how do you respectfully back out? I feel like that could get ugly on its own.

I would love to hear more about storm entities! Is that an elemental spirit of some kind. Storms make me feel ecstatic. I don't know of anything else that makes me feel like that.

Monsnoleedra-

Thanks for the detailed description on experiencing nature spirits. It seems like when I ask some people about it they beat around the bush.... No pun intended. For some reason nature spirits frighten me significantly less than human spirits do.

I was also wondering what you mean by this "One reason I personally think so many people have tales of picking up some hitchhiker from a graveyard, battlefield or certain types of hospitals such as mental wards"

What did you mean by mental wards?

Leonardo- that's so cool you have a little spirit family that you can trust. I wonder, do they know about each other or interact?

Rosered- Speaking of opening doors.. Some bizarre stuff was happening to my car on the way home today. I wonder if I've already opened a door just by having it on my mind so much. Is that even possible?

Christine- techniques for taking a break should be an excellent follow up post for this. I definitely would like to know more.

Gyre leaf- I already have no idea what to expect! So I'm keeping my mind open. I've already learned to not make promises. I tried working with Bast and promised something I didn't have the energy to keep and now it seems she's given me the cold shoulder unfortunately.

Travsha- what is journey work? Is it like astral travel? I have some herbal tinctures and flying ointments I've been slowly dipping my toes in.

Imamsua- this is the first time I've heard of the baseline method. Very interesting.

Aurelian- I can induce trance states pretty easily I think. I have done scrying quite a bit. However I never really seem to have much of a goal in mind. Abramelin oil.. I've heard of that. Abramelin as in the Egyptian Mage? Do you have any online recommendations for that? As far as my protective juju goes I'm still learning that as well. Perhaps I should focus on that first? Right now I'm trying to read psychic self defense.

And for establishing relationships with my ancestors should I just put out a general signal to them and see who is interested or focus on one in particular? The only dead family member I was close to was my grandfather. People tell me I'm a lot like my grandmother but she died before I was born.

Finding a familiar is really exciting to me. I want to find one! Any tips on that? Physical or astral? I am an also super curious about a guardian daemon. Demons and the goetia are new interests of mine.

#26 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:16 AM

Ravenshaw - necromancy sounds like a pretty heavy subject to start out with. You are much braver than I! Have you posted any about your attack when hedge working? I that would definitely be something we could all learn from.

I could see respecting nature spirits much more than human spirits for sure. Do you think they can have a mutual respect for us humans? I imagine we make it hard for them to.

I'm really stoked about finding what my strengths are with this area. I don't suppose you have advice on knowing what your strengths are? Right now I'm not sure I have any.

Also, how do you respectfully back out? I feel like that could get ugly on its own.

I would love to hear more about storm entities! Is that an elemental spirit of some kind. Storms make me feel ecstatic. I don't know of anything else that makes me feel like that.

Not braver, just blind at times. I have not posted anything because it was quite personal. Plus, it has been said on this board many times before - every time you jump in, it's like turning on a light beacon. Things will come to it, absolutely.

I definitely do not think nature spirits, in general, have respect for us. We have ruined their regions, poisoned their water, killed the species they oversee, rampaged their forests and deserts and plains, the sea will never be rid of plastic and the once wild planet we lived on is now covered in pavement. They hate us, in general, and want us dead. Some natural spirits do respect us, and some do not seem to care - what is happening IS what is "natural", and we are part of nature. Some nature spirits will never see us, we are simply not even a blip on their gigantic radar.

The only advice I can give, and keep in mind this is probably not the best advice but the only thing I can offer as truth - if you dabble, they will come. Good and bad, they will come. And, by working with them, you *may* find your strengths - and you will definitely find your weaknesses. If you already have a talent, like seeing the dead or hearing plants, try putting fuel on that fire, where you are already stronger. Meditate in different places, see what you feel. Feel them watching? Listening? Near you? Try reaching out.

How to back out..... stop doing whatever you're doing, ASAP. Then, put on your big girl panties and get ready - you might need to muscle "it" or "them" out. The "how" of this depends on what you're dealing with. Humans tend to be sneaky, but easier to push out. What affects humans will not affects smaller astral leeches or some larger things. It's hard to say.... I have gotten rid of things by pushing them out with banishing powders, cleansing the grounds, pushing it out by sheer will, using piss, salt, coffee, candle spells, cord spells - hell, I've even ripped them apart and eaten them, if they were small enough. But, each time something happens, it is a different set of hurtles, and I learn something new each time. And usually have a mess to clean up after, some how, some way.

The storm entity I dealt with was odd. Not sure if it was the storm or something riding under the guise of the storm, but the storm was her home. No idea how the relationship will affect me, but it did give me a sense of individuality with each storm - they are all different, and perhaps should be treated as such. Just like how there are species spirits versus individual being spirits....there are "storm" entities, and entities within a storm.

Edited by Ravenshaw, 30 June 2015 - 07:12 AM.

RSKHFMY

#27 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:54 PM

Aurelian- I can induce trance states pretty easily I think. I have done scrying quite a bit. However I never really seem to have much of a goal in mind. Abramelin oil.. I've heard of that. Abramelin as in the Egyptian Mage? Do you have any online recommendations for that? As far as my protective juju goes I'm still learning that as well. Perhaps I should focus on that first? Right now I'm trying to read psychic self defense.

And for establishing relationships with my ancestors should I just put out a general signal to them and see who is interested or focus on one in particular? The only dead family member I was close to was my grandfather. People tell me I'm a lot like my grandmother but she died before I was born.

Finding a familiar is really exciting to me. I want to find one! Any tips on that? Physical or astral? I am an also super curious about a guardian daemon. Demons and the goetia are new interests of mine.

Hmmm, okies well the person I was thinking of stopped making that particular oil, but this will work just as well...it's tailored to the purpose! This ladies stuff is the shit, tbh:

About: http://www.quadriviu...ure-vision-oil/
Available at: https://squareup.com...vium-vision-oil

These are people I know, btw, the creator and the shop owner, so I'll vouch for them.

Ok, so not all ancestors are created equal. Don't do a general call, do a specific one, to draw in the specific spirits in your lineage who have similar morals/values as you. Those whom you would offend can actually put an ancestral curse on you. Just letting you know. But don't worry about that right now. Try working with your grandfather! Leave out offerings, as described by RS and myself. Don't expect the lot of them to come...over your lifetime, you'll probably work with only a few of them.

Good beginning references would be, "Communing with the Spirits," and since you have an interest in working with demons, get the "Blood Sorcery Bible, Volume One," by Cagliastro, she presents a way to summon your ancestors with demonic help! The authors of both books are people I have associations with, and I will vouch for their work!

Familiars are ALWAYS spirits who can manifest in both animal and human form. There is a method presented in the Goetia that works really well, and it's safe as long as you follow the instructions! You'll end up with an imp most like, and that IS a very traditional familiar. As for guardian demons, get a copy of "Daemonic Magick," by Seleneicthon.

Let me know if I missed anything, or if you need more info!

Edited by Aurelian, 30 June 2015 - 12:57 PM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#28 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:59 PM

I've never actually used Abramelin oil but have heard very good things. Perhaps you just swayed me, Aurelian.

RSKHFMY

#29 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:59 PM

It is good stuff...I'm going to send you both a PM, I'm trying to not give everything away but I'm not so wonderful at the subtle hint thing!
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#30 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:15 AM

Ty!

RSKHFMY

#31 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

So I've decided to start out with working with ancestors first. This seems to be the safest /most comfortable thing to do as of right now. And it sounds like they might even be able to provide me with some protection. I think I may start building an alter for them today. My grandfather is who I'm going to try first.

I've been thinking of what things to give as offerings. I associate him pretty heavily with tobacco. He smoked a lot in his lifetime. However I'm not sure if it would be negative or not since smoking is basically the reason he passed. (As I said that just now I've been getting faint whiffs of tobacco!) so what do you guys think. Should I not give him tabacco since that is what caused his death? I get the feeling he would still like it anyway.

Also I'm wondering if I should place a talisman of some kind on the alter for him to inhabit while we are visiting? Do people do that with ancestors?

#32 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:07 PM

Tobacco is a very good offering for spirits, so that is not at all inappropriate.

One of my good, local friends has a pack of Camels sitting on her mothers 'shrine,' which is just an ancestral altar although she is catholic, and there have been no problems with the interactions.

A talisman is appropriate, although it won't be a talisman anymore...it will become a fetish!

#33 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

Ah very good. I haven't heard the term fetish used in that way before.

I'm learning so much here MYHEADISGOINGTOEXPLODEILOVEIT :vhappywitch:

#34 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:40 PM

The only offerings you have to worry about is something that caused a strong addiction in life, like alcohol for an alcoholic or heroin/pills for a drug addict. A libation can be a lovely offering, but if they had a problem with it, they will still get *too much* energy from it, in a bad way. Also, avoid salt - it sucks energy away from the spirit.

I have given offerings of tobacco and more...ahem...green things, to the spirits who liked it. Both worked quite well.

RSKHFMY

#35 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:50 PM

Great thank you. A glass of cool water will have to suffice until I can get my hands on some tobacco.

#36 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

When my Godfather needs a boost of energy - he gets a big ass glass of whiskey. "Pretty smelling smoke and water is for the women" LMAO.

But, mostly, everyone on my family shrine really thrives on coffee.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#37 WhiteRaven

WhiteRaven

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:17 PM

I've been meaning to sit down and reply to this. I have only glanced at the replies and I agree that ancestor work should always be first.

Was it something you sought out or was it something that sought you out?

I couldn't help it. Since I can remember spirits were both a positive and negative influence in my life. Growing up, some were my best friends/allies, others enjoyed torturing me every chance they had. I was a natural medium and thought that my toys were talking to me (not spirits). The nice ones that looked after me either appeared like animals or hid behind the guise of a well loved plush toy. And they made sure my family knew I wasn't crazy, by telling me to tell them things I would have never known. Sometimes I would talk along with them fully and scare my sitters that wondered how a toddler suddenly sounded like a mature adult. It was sink or swim for me. I received the crash course.

Are you experienced with all of the above or just one or two?

All of them.

What is your usual method of communication?

I see them and hear them everyday of my life. There was only a small period between the age of 9 and 14 that I went through a very stressful times with a parent custody battle that I stopped hearing them. But it came back once that was over. During the time I was deaf to them, I used a pendulum to communicate to my guardian/guide. I believe the anxiety connected with communication in general at the time caused it to shut down.

Do they have names?[\b]

Of course, but they almost always lie about their real ones at first, giving a nickname instead or what I like to call a calling card which is either a barbarous sounding name or a sigil/symbol. Some have taken many years before revealing their "true name" to me. Names hold power over the individual.

[B]Anything else you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

Work with one spirit primarily. A leading ancestor is a great choice if they are willing. Learn to hear them. It's always easy to open up with one spirit at first. For a while they may be the only one you can hear well. If things aren't working out with that spirit, try it with another one. There are three reasons you can be "deaf" to a spirit.

(1) protections against harm or spells for truth if the spirit isn't good for your well-being or likes to lie.
(2) they could just suck at projecting a voice. Just like we all have different strengths and weaknesses, some spirits are better at auditory communication, others are better at visual communication, and still others cause you to "just know" without word or sound.
(3) Fear or distrust. This is why it's best to work with one and why it takes time. The more comfortable you feel, the clearer you will hear them. And once you open that door wide enough, you'll hear any spirit.

And the absolute most important thing concerning spirit work is to be able to recognize and defend against attack. It can be very subtle.

Some amulets and protections are too strong and can shut your senses down. These are good only if you get into trouble. I suggest the combination of black tourmaline and hematite as one example.

You want to find a comfortable middle that keeps you safe without creating an impenetrable barrier. I use silver, brass, diamond and ruby to cover all bases. I discovered the effectiveness of ruby on accident when it saved my ass against a black elf I ran into while helping an Asatru friend of mine. Not friendly beings! They're what is referred to as night hags.

Diamond needs serious upkeep though. It likes to harbor any energy that it touches and amplifies it. I smudge mine often and take it off when I am sick, sorrowful, or moody. It's a pain to maintain but worth it.

#38 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:55 PM

Any other advice with diamonds?

#39 WhiteRaven

WhiteRaven

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:27 AM

Diamonds, being the hardest known natural material on Earth, has its strength in being tough. It's clarity demonstrates its purity. Colored diamonds are tainted diamonds. And taint lowers its hardness. When it's pure it also lets the entire spectrum of light through it. They're very old, being compressed tightly in high heat to be created. They've been through a lot. The only thing that can cut diamond is diamond...lasers are cheating :P This all explains its personality as it is known in magick.

It's a material of strength and strengthens anything that shines through it as well as strengthens the wearer and in this way of likened to the Helm of Awe as an amulet.

"The Helm of Awe
I wore before the sons of men
In defense of my treasure;
Amongst all, I alone was strong,
I thought to myself,
For I found no power a match for my own."
--Fafnismal

The only thing that can truly alter it is another diamond. The superstition goes that you should never wear the diamond of a deceased person or that was set in a wedding ring if the marriage didn't last. The idea is that the diamond holds onto what it has "experienced". Diamond really does have an amazing memory, but it isn't impossible to cut away something that has darkened its presence. I've done it before, but it takes another diamond that has preferably never been worn.

Most of the time, the "memories" balance out and the diamond won't give you any troubles. But that doesn't prevent it from reflecting the energy that has most recently passed through it. This is why I try to limit their exposure to things I do not want around me much less strengthened. Besides smudging, I also like to store any diamond I own with sage and citrine.

Edited by WhiteRaven, 03 July 2015 - 05:02 AM.

#40 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

That actually explains quite a bit.

I always wear my engagement ring and when sick, stressed, moody, etc - I clean way more often. It seems to have it's own internal shine and when that dims - I clean it.

I'm thinking that it would be a shame to lose this to time in a communication thread. What do you guys think about threads that discuss care of stones and such? I think it'd be great.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spirit, deity, demon, fae