Photo
- - - - -

Using specific songs/music for workings?

music spellwork

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:18 AM

Shin, I could go to town on your post :P but it's really off topic. It would make a good discussion for another thread.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#22 StarrLily

StarrLily

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:23 AM

Channeling the emotions of a song isn't that complicated, and empathy is a two way street to begin with (as is telepathy). If you can feel an emotion or receive a thought, you can send them as well. It's not that far outside the box. In fact, most people would be frightened by how easy it is to influence someone by sending thoughts and emotions to them, gently planting suggestions that they then believe to be their own ideas. But, the more traditional forms of this Magick are a bit more than that. The Power of Song doesn't lie in the ability to merely channel the energy of someone else's song, or even to achieve various forms of Trance with the rhythm of a Song, but rather to channel your own energy and power into your own Song. That's why this is traditionally the Poet's Craft, the Magick of the Skald or Bard.Anyone with a heart can feel the power of a True Song, but not everyone has the talent to write a Song or Poem that others can feel. This applies to Incantation as much as it does basic Literature and Music. ~:Shin:~

I need to practice, then. :)

"The trees tell me their secrets...and yours too. I can keep them...or use them. That choice is up to you." ;)

#23 StarrLily

StarrLily

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

I use magic with workings, all the time. I find music that is evocative of the emotion or condition that I need, and cast to that.

Some musicians really have a Gift, and utilizing their work as an aide to your work is highly effective! At least for myself. But I am an audiophile. I've talked to a variety of practitioners about utilizing music in magic and it doesn't help everyone to an equal extent. Some prefer to cast in silence, or muttering under their breath, etc....

Ever look into Seidr? You may find that traditions use of songs and music to be valuable techniques!

Ive actually been trying to, I have some Norse "ideals".
Atm, I just learned some information regarding my Cherokee ancestry, so I'm a bit distracted. Any links you know of? Or books to buy? It would be greatly appreciated. Most of what I've read have been from a certain gentleman named Raven, I think.

"The trees tell me their secrets...and yours too. I can keep them...or use them. That choice is up to you." ;)

#24 Crow59

Crow59

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:35 AM

I almost always incorporate music in my magic workings. The genre depends on my intent, but i seem to do best with something a little edgy played slightly too loud. It really helps me raise energy.

Here's an interesting thing about the magic of music. Once a few years ago I was just strumming my guitar while staring into a candle flame and found myself repeating a simple little riff over and over. Before I knew it an hour had almost passed. I don't know if I went into a trance or hypnotized myself or what, but when I became cognizant again I was still playing that same little riff. A couple days later I tried an experiment and recorded myself while doing the same thing. It took a little while to get going - I guess the spontaneity of the first time made it easier - but I did eventually find a groove and again I just kind of zoned out. It lasted about 40 minutes and when I played back the tape I found that not only had I repeated the riff over and over, but I had added little fills and chord changes here and there and I even began humming a melody at one point. It was weird because I didn't recall any of it. It was like my conscious mind turned off and my emotions took over. I still do this every now and then. I just wish I could remember what I'm feeling while doing it.

"There are truths on this side of the Pyrenees which are falsehoods on the other" - Blaise Pascal
"But sometimes the intent is to harm." - Me

#25 Cameo

Cameo

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:33 PM

I was going to start a thread asking about the use of some lyrics in spell work. This thread seems to fit my question nicely.

My question is about just taking the lyrics without the music. Spoken or chanted not sung. I often find songs that contain lyrics that say exactly what I would want to say during a working, only far more eloquently than I could come up with. The lyrics move me and I'll think to myself that would be a very powerful line to add to a spell. Even if the message of the song is something different, one isolated line can easily fit with the intentions of the working. I think what matters most is the emotions invoked by the specific song lyrics. I wanted to get other peoples opinions first, especially in the cause where the lyrics originated for a song that might not jive with the working, even if that specific line does.

#26 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:20 AM

I was going to start a thread asking about the use of some lyrics in spell work. This thread seems to fit my question nicely.

My question is about just taking the lyrics without the music. Spoken or chanted not sung. I often find songs that contain lyrics that say exactly what I would want to say during a working, only far more eloquently than I could come up with. The lyrics move me and I'll think to myself that would be a very powerful line to add to a spell. Even if the message of the song is something different, one isolated line can easily fit with the intentions of the working. I think what matters most is the emotions invoked by the specific song lyrics. I wanted to get other peoples opinions first, especially in the cause where the lyrics originated for a song that might not jive with the working, even if that specific line does.

In the case of a song whose meaning is totally different, you could alter the other lines around in a verse to make it fit better, or write something of your own and incorporate the one line into it. I actually did that for my wedding vows--incorporating one line from a song into my own poetic vow.

I struggle with words during workings myself. Funny, because writing used to be my favorite hobby.  Perhaps I'll give this a shot, next time I devise something that would do best with a spoken component.

#27 Holdasown

Holdasown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

I keep a book of printed out song lyrics organized by the type of spell they would work for. I love using music for spells. 

#28 OldWorldWytch

OldWorldWytch

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

Many so called primitive paths utilize song as a major part of their magical workings.  Seiðr spells rely heavily on galdr - which means "to sing".  The Sami of Northern Shamanism utilize "joik" which I myself have utilized many times in my journeying.  It would be worth looking into for those interested. 

#29 kiki

kiki

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:30 AM

If you have a song you really feel you can use it during spells and such.

Also, this is not exactly but kind of related... I use weird singing and noises constantly when I'm working, just kind of babbling in sound. It works great and can be used for everything (even diagnosis). I'm really really audio oriented though, but if you are maybe try it. Super effective.

#30 kiki

kiki

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:52 AM

The "singing" forms in a mix of gutteral humming and hoarse shouting, not any spoken language.

I'm not familiar with Seidr I do everything intuitively but that sounds a lot like what I do. That's shocking to me just because its so personal. Some of mine's a bit more melodic but still...

Channeling the emotions of a song isn't that complicated, and empathy is a two way street to begin with (as is telepathy). If you can feel an emotion or receive a thought, you can send them as well. It's not that far outside the box. In fact, most people would be frightened by how easy it is to influence someone by sending thoughts and emotions to them, gently planting suggestions that they then believe to be their own ideas.

But, the more traditional forms of this Magick are a bit more than that. The Power of Song doesn't lie in the ability to merely channel the energy of someone else's song, or even to achieve various forms of Trance with the rhythm of a Song, but rather to channel your own energy and power into your own Song. That's why this is traditionally the Poet's Craft, the Magick of the Skald or Bard.

Anyone with a heart can feel the power of a True Song, but not everyone has the talent to write a Song or Poem that others can feel. This applies to Incantation as much as it does basic Literature and Music.

I totally get what you're saying about beaming things at people to influence them. It's really easy.

I also discovered that the words don't matter, I can channel my intent directly through the sound, which is very effective.

That thing about the Magick of the Bard... I've always been able to just sing forever, coming up with new music and lyrics as I need them. It's really easy usually.

I just googled and came up empty, can you recommend a source on True Song or related topics?

Sorry to be so OMG but its weird...

Edited by kiki, 04 October 2017 - 05:14 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: music, spellwork