Photo
- - - - -

Using specific songs/music for workings?

music spellwork

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 StarrLily

StarrLily

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:33 PM

I was transferring music from one computer to another, when I had a thought. If music can "set the mood", or alter our state, why couldn't a specific song be used for workings? For example, a song about winning the lottery for bringing money/prosperity? (I'm not sure how many lottery songs are made, but you can see my point.) Actually the original thought was based on cursing/hexwork around my more metal music; where a lot of the lyrics could definitely go hand in hand. Thoughts? Experience?
"The trees tell me their secrets...and yours too. I can keep them...or use them. That choice is up to you." ;)

#2 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:09 PM

I often use songs as one of my main forms of magic.... Usually I do all live songs now-a-days though...

Back in the day I used to use playlists of classical music to set the mood... I was really into correspondences, so if I was doing a lunar working which might correspond to the key E-minor, I would make a playlist of only music in e-minor to have in the background while I did the ceremony... I would usually combine that with colored lights and incense - for the moon, probably purple and lavender.... So there would be sound, light and smells associated with the moon helping put me in the mood for lunar workings.... (you can do this with any planet or Sferot or however you like to do correspondences).

I havent used correspondences like that in years though..... I am much more free-form now.

#3 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:24 PM

I know quite a few practitioners that will only cast with song or chants.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#4 Shinichi

Shinichi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:55 PM

The occult Power of Song is ancient and potent. There are many old poems, songs, mantras, magical formulas, words of power, and similar things that can be Magically Intoned in order to achieve a specific goal - from warfare to healing to enlightenment and beyond. I don't know about using modern songs in order to invoke specific emotions and forces like you seem to be suggesting, but True Song is a whole field of Magick all unto itself.

~:Shin:~

#5 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

Yes, I am that silly, but this really, really w(b)itches me up a lot when I'm in the mood for a working :cool_witch:
La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#6 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:35 PM

Certainly some songs for me are more worthy than others, especially since I know that musicians often put hours/days of intent into songwriting. Music is the voice of the soul.

Perhaps this thread will be helpful:
http://www.tradition...-music-you-use/

Edited by Caps, 22 June 2015 - 09:37 PM.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#7 StarrLily

StarrLily

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:39 PM

I often use songs as one of my main forms of magic.... Usually I do all live songs now-a-days though...

Back in the day I used to use playlists of classical music to set the mood... I was really into correspondences, so if I was doing a lunar working which might correspond to the key E-minor, I would make a playlist of only music in e-minor to have in the background while I did the ceremony... I would usually combine that with colored lights and incense - for the moon, probably purple and lavender.... So there would be sound, light and smells associated with the moon helping put me in the mood for lunar workings.... (you can do this with any planet or Sferot or however you like to do correspondences).

I havent used correspondences like that in years though..... I am much more free-form now.

I'm very interested in using more words and song in my practice, so it really helps to hear about you doing live.
Although I'm unconcerned with specific correspondences.
Thanks for chiming in. :)

"The trees tell me their secrets...and yours too. I can keep them...or use them. That choice is up to you." ;)

#8 StarrLily

StarrLily

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:44 PM

The occult Power of Song is ancient and potent. There are many old poems, songs, mantras, magical formulas, words of power, and similar things that can be Magically Intoned in order to achieve a specific goal - from warfare to healing to enlightenment and beyond. I don't know about using modern songs in order to invoke specific emotions and forces like you seem to be suggesting, but True Song is a whole field of Magick all unto itself.

It may have merit for me, I think. Almost like a reversal of empathy. I could hypothetically channel my emotions with discipline into the lyrics, and "shoot" somebody with it... based on what certain songs make me feel.
Ah, well, at least I'm thinking outside the box, lol.

#9 StarrLily

StarrLily

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:48 PM

Yes, I am that silly, but this really, really w(b)itches me up a lot when I'm in the mood for a working :cool_witch:

Not silly!! Lol
It's what it makes you feel. :D

#10 StarrLily

StarrLily

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:55 PM

Certainly some songs for me are more worthy than others, especially since I know that musicians often put hours/days of intent into songwriting. Music is the voice of the soul.Perhaps this thread will be helpful:http://www.tradition...-music-you-use/

Thanks for the link, there were a couple things in there I needed to read. ;)

#11 Shinichi

Shinichi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:52 AM

It may have merit for me, I think. Almost like a reversal of empathy. I could hypothetically channel my emotions with discipline into the lyrics, and "shoot" somebody with it... based on what certain songs make me feel.
Ah, well, at least I'm thinking outside the box, lol.

Channeling the emotions of a song isn't that complicated, and empathy is a two way street to begin with (as is telepathy). If you can feel an emotion or receive a thought, you can send them as well. It's not that far outside the box. In fact, most people would be frightened by how easy it is to influence someone by sending thoughts and emotions to them, gently planting suggestions that they then believe to be their own ideas.

But, the more traditional forms of this Magick are a bit more than that. The Power of Song doesn't lie in the ability to merely channel the energy of someone else's song, or even to achieve various forms of Trance with the rhythm of a Song, but rather to channel your own energy and power into your own Song. That's why this is traditionally the Poet's Craft, the Magick of the Skald or Bard.

Anyone with a heart can feel the power of a True Song, but not everyone has the talent to write a Song or Poem that others can feel. This applies to Incantation as much as it does basic Literature and Music.

#12 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:29 AM

I use magic with workings, all the time. I find music that is evocative of the emotion or condition that I need, and cast to that.

Some musicians really have a Gift, and utilizing their work as an aide to your work is highly effective! At least for myself. But I am an audiophile. I've talked to a variety of practitioners about utilizing music in magic and it doesn't help everyone to an equal extent. Some prefer to cast in silence, or muttering under their breath, etc....

Ever look into Seidr? You may find that traditions use of songs and music to be valuable techniques!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#13 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:32 AM

I listen music when I'm going into trance, usually digeridoo or the drums.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#14 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:44 PM

I also use music for journey work sometimes.... If I just do a quick journey I often do it without music, but when I want a longer free-form type journey where I let it take me wherever the journey wants to go (instead of controlling it) I use icaros. This is an example of an icaro from a lady I stayed with in the Amazon for a few weeks last summer: https://soundcloud.c...ayme-02-big-hal
(it is a song about transforming like a butterfly)

I'll smoke a little mapacho (amazonian tobacco), lie down in the dark and let a playlist of icaros take me on a journey... Sometimes it can go pretty deep.

#15 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:22 PM

My family says that my new age relaxation music is 'depressing'. They really don't get it. LOL
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#16 Shinichi

Shinichi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:26 PM

Ever look into Seidr? You may find that traditions use of songs and music to be valuable techniques!

The Songs that Seidr uses these days aren't traditional Norse as much as it is new age Shamanism, via influences like Michael Harner with his The Way of The Shaman. Not that this doesn't work, but frankly speaking, the tradition of Seidr is lost to the sands of time. Not enough remains in any history books or folklore to fully reconstruct the original Seidr Craft, and so many modern practitioners draw on Shamanism for influence in developing their own personal methods. I'm not saying that's wrong, but I can say that my own Seidr study has gained much more from the study of Traditional Witchcraft than New Age Shamanism.

As for the nature of traditional Song, specifically, some of that can be found via Galdr. In Norse Tradition, Seidr is the Natural Magick (traditional witchcraft) of the Norse people, ruled by the goddess we now call Freya. The Lady. When she met Odin, the Master of Galdr (the Runes, Incantation, Song), they exchanged information: Odin learned Seidr, and Freya learned Galdr. So, traditionally, the Songs of Seidr are (as far as anyone can say, based on what little we know) largely rooted in Galdr, which is Rune Magick; The Magick of Incantation. Some modern Seidr practitioners I've come across take this into account, but many of those I've encountered use a more (modern) Shamanistic idea of Song. That is, it's mainly used merely as a way to enter Trance, instead of being utilized as a powerful Craft in and of itself.

And there's truly nothing wrong with that, I've just found it to be...well, different. Galdr is something of a forte for me, and it's so much more than a gateway to Ecstasy.

#17 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:19 PM

Shinichi I agree with the sum of your post, I'd just like to add that Seiðr users are alive and well on Vestmannaeyjar, and other places. The idea that it just upped and died and was replaced by reconstructionists is similar to saying forms of traditional witchcraft died and were replaced by Wicca. The "singing" forms in a mix of gutteral humming and hoarse shouting, not any spoken language.

I think the problem is that in Iceland today there is a strong reconstructivist community and they are usually the easiest ones to find for ethnologists, so instead of going to rural places and finding elderly people in farmsteads, they will instead interview the reconstructionists because they're easier to find. Also, Iceland today, particularly the rural parts, is still quite Christian compared to the other Nordic regions. People may practice Seiðr but they would be more inclined to do so privately.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#18 Shinichi

Shinichi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:44 PM

The idea isn't that it "up and died," as it were. Christianity declared open war on all such practices, but the worship of Freya and the practice of Seidr bore some of the more intense aspects of the attack. The people in control of Christianity at the time didn't want any of Freya's Wisdom to be left alive, and they nearly succeeded. I don't know anything about Vestmannaeyjar, but I do know the the effects of a religious war that only very recently, "kinda sorta" ended.

The "singing" forms in a mix of gutteral humming and hoarse shouting, not any spoken language.

Which is essentially what Galdr is, though it doesn't have to be particularly rough. Sometimes the Runes need to hit those harsh vibrations, being the wild forces that they are. Sometimes I can utilize much more...consonance, instead of that dissonance. Most times, I can just whisper or even "speak" them silently, which is admittedly a bit more challenging. Things like ALU, though, and other things like ARA-HARI and TUWATUWA, aren't a spoken language like English (despite the common argument that ALU is "Ale"). They are Runes weaved together into a single force. A Verbal Bindrune, essentially. That's part of what makes this form of Song so powerful, weaving together raw powers like the Runes.

Though, that doesn't dismiss the power of conventional Song and Poetry. That's an important part of the broader subject of Incantation as well, and essentially just a more expanded version of the same basic things: Rhythm and Power.

#19 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:57 PM

The idea isn't that it "up and died," as it were. Christianity declared open war on all such practices, but the worship of Freya and the practice of Seidr bore some of the more intense aspects of the attack. The people in control of Christianity at the time didn't want any of Freya's Wisdom to be left alive, and they nearly succeeded. I don't know anything about Vestmannaeyjar, but I do know the the effects of a religious war that only very recently, "kinda sorta" ended.

I've not heard of the association of Seiðr with Norse mythology before- do you know the origin? For me, I find it similar to saying all traditional witches must honour Hecate. If anything Runic magic should be Odinic in nature, and even then the runes most likely predate the Norse deities in their original form.

Not meaning to derail the subject! I also use song in my workings. I find, as I sing, that I am able to build up the energy and release it when I finish. It's something I've always done, and it's pretty spontaneous.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#20 Shinichi

Shinichi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:02 AM

I've not heard of the association of Seiðr with Norse mythology before- do you know the origin?

The Eddas, which are the core and heart of surviving Norse Mythology. Seidr is mentioned specifically, by name, in several of the old stories, both in relation to Freya and in relation to the neighboring Finns where several of the few mentioned Seidkona are said to have learned their Craft. Seidkonna are essentially portrayed as powerful traditional witches, with the Lore telling of such feats as divination by talking to the local spirits, journeying and riding the consciousness of animals (and consequently dying when that animal was killed), murder by rune magick and hag riding, turning someone invisible while people searched the house for him, and other neat witchy things. There's also a few male Seidr practitioners mentioned. Some brothers sat next to the sea and summoned a storm that destroyed the ship of an enemy, as I recall, and a whole temple of male practitioners were once slaughtered because...well, typical witch hunt reasons, I suppose, on top of male practitioners having a sharp stigma in old Norse society.

For me, I find it similar to saying all traditional witches must honour Hecate.

Seidr practitioners don't have to honor Freya any more than Traditional Witches have to honor Hecate. But, as much as Odin went to a lot of effort to learn and master the Runes, Freya is likewise the deity who has the most knowledge of Seidr. She has much to share with those she deems worthy.

If anything Runic magic should be Odinic in nature, and even then the runes most likely predate the Norse deities in their original form.

Except Odin doesn't separate Magick like that, and that's why he went out of his way to exchange wisdom with Freya in the first place. Seidr is simply the Craft of Natural Magick - it's the Wisdom of the Vanir, of the Earth. The Runes are simply something a bit more...celestial, and that's why it's generally considered the Wisdom of the Aesir. Seidr is something that let's us understand and change (and much more) that which is within Wyrd, but the Runes are what Wyrd is made of and what the Norns themselves use to change Wyrd directly (remember that Well that Odin hung himself over?). That's why they're far better together, and why Odin became the most powerful Aesir after he learned both. They make a good team, these two Crafts.

It's fine and dandy to acknowledge distinctions between Aesir and Vanir and other such things, but it's important to remember that we are none of them. We are human (microcosm!), and thus we are connected to all of them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: music, spellwork