• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ogga

Ogga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:17 PM

During my research to connect to my ancestors (I put them in three categories ancestors of the blood,
ancestors of the land and ancestors of the craft) i felt that it was important to take a closer look on the
Swedish and Danish witch trails. Reading about these horrible and bizarre proceedings I felt that this was
important in a way i couldn't put my finger on. I was looking for my fore goers in the craft...i suspected
that most of the victims weren't witches but it became even more clear when you really try to study it.

Since I couldn't get figure it out on my own I discussed it with a friend (ceremonial magician). When I
brought it up he looked at me and said "1314" and then went to get more coffee to let me mull it over.
When he came back he explained that when he tried to contact the dead (he didn't use the name ancestors
but that was how he ment it) he always first contacted/worked through Jacques de Molay, the Grand Master
of the Knights Templar, that innocently was burned at the stake 1314. According to my friends tradition
de Molay was an magician and necromancer, and by becoming a victim burned at the stake for something
he didn't do he became an important representant (in my friends path) for all people executed for witchcraft
innocent and practitioners alike.

This conversation stuck to me...I couldn't let it go. And the idea of de Molay as a kind of saint (can't find a
better word for it) for all the witches, occultists and those innocently accused for such crafts...also stuck.
And the thing i couldn't put my finger on solved itself. The persons that was accused, executed, died or
survived in witch trails deserves and needs to be remembered by others that could end up in their situation
if they lived during similar circumstances. They need to be remembered by us.

So I thought I create this topic, where we can post the names of those witches, practitioners and innocent that
suffered in witch trails.

(Try to post Name, Year, Contry/location, Destiny. Example: Jacques de Molay (c. 1243-1314), Paris, France.
burned at the stake March 18th).

Edited by Ogga, 21 June 2015 - 11:21 PM.

#2 Ogga

Ogga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:24 PM

Here is some names from Sweden, Norway and Denmark

Ingegärd Andersdotter (”Tyskabillan") (-1594) Habo, Sweden. Confessed and pointed out Kerstin i Maden under torture. Fait unknown, probably executed

Kerstin i Maden (-1594) Habo, Sweden. Arrested but fait unknown, probably executed.

Johanne Pedersdatter (-1622) Sandviken, Norway. The great great grandmother of Carl von Linné. Burned at the stake at September 29th.

Lars Nilsson (-1693) Arjeplog, Sweden. A Sami/Sapmi schaman convicted for witchcraft and following the old sami religion. Executed (beheaded) and then burned at the stake.

Dorte Jensdatter (1672-1722), Øster Grønning, Denmark. Lynched, her neighbors tied her to a chair and torched her house. This is counted as the last burning of a witch in the Nordic countries.

Edited by Ogga, 21 June 2015 - 11:25 PM.

#3 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:25 AM

This is a beautiful memorial thread, Ogga.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#4 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:10 AM

There is an old witch grave yard close to my home (no kidding) called Witches' Tabernacle in Linden, TX. This thread makes me want to go read and photograph the headstones and post the names. Local legends say that the first occupants of the graves were killed by locals on a rampage to kill witches, but afterwards, local witches came to the graves to honor them and practice there, and the site now has open air pews and a closed-in little cabin for people to use, it's just open for anyone. I have no idea who owns it, the county, state of Texas, a private citizen...no clue.

This thread makes me want to learn more about those who came before. +1, Ogga.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#5 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:54 AM

Alse Young (May 26, 1647) -- Connecticut, USA, first person executed for witchcraft in the Colonies. Her crime was reportedly nothing more serious than preparing herbal remedies for neighbors. I couldn't find much about her trial. Executed by hanging.
https://rockyhillhis...ed-may-26-1647/

Margaret Jones (June 15, 1648) -- Connecticut, USA. midwife and herbalist. Protested her innocence, never confessed. Executed by hanging. The same day and hour she was executed, there was a very great tempest at Connecticut, which blew down many trees.

ETA before the thread gets locked... "According to Winthrop’s journal, Jones was accused in 1648 by some of her patients who stated that she told them they would never heal if they refused to take her medicine."
Source: http://historyofmass...-massachusetts/

Great idea, Ogga. +1.

Edited by westofthemoon, 24 June 2015 - 03:37 AM.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#6 Ogga

Ogga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:25 AM

Thank you RoseRed I have thought about it for some time :)

----

Thank you RachelleLiz. What an interesting place! I would love to visit there.
The victims of the great and famous witch trails tend to be remembered through
books, TV and Hollywood. But in the solitaire cases where the burnt the lokal
wise woman or the teenage maid that the neighboring girls didn't like the risk
for it to be forgotten are bigger, so whoever keeps the cabin open does a great
thing.

----

westofthemoon, thank you. I...on the other side of the pond...would probably never
hear of Alse Young or Margaret without your post. The more people that knows the
names the lesser risk is it for them to be forgotten.

----

#7 Crow59

Crow59

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:20 AM

Most of us in the U.S. know of the Salem witch trials, but not many are aware of the all the victims of witch hunts that have gone on around the world. It is important to remember people such as these. I'm a big believer in "those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it". Thank you for starting this thread, Ogga.

Unfortunately, there are similar atrocities are still being committed in some parts of the world today. I just saw this story this morning about a young mother in Papua New Guinea:

http://www.dailymail...l#axzz2KKp5dSxD

Be it fear, ignorance or religious fanaticism, there are people in this world for whom the word "witch" triggers despicably awful behavior.

Edited by Crow59, 22 June 2015 - 09:22 AM.

"There are truths on this side of the Pyrenees which are falsehoods on the other" - Blaise Pascal
"But sometimes the intent is to harm." - Me

#8 Ogga

Ogga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

Thats also one of the reasons I started this thread. The witch trails are not over.

So...

Kepari Leniata (1993-2013), Paiala, Papua New Guinea. Lynched, confessed after torture with white-hot iron rods by her neighbors, then burned alive at the local garbage dump. The local Lutheran church and the prime minister condemned the act.

Edited by Ogga, 22 June 2015 - 10:00 PM.

#9 Hariasa

Hariasa

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:34 PM

That's really intersting RachelLiz, have you been to the graveyard yourself?

There is an old witch grave yard close to my home (no kidding) called Witches' Tabernacle in Linden, TX. This thread makes me want to go read and photograph the headstones and post the names. Local legends say that the first occupants of the graves were killed by locals on a rampage to kill witches, but afterwards, local witches came to the graves to honor them and practice there, and the site now has open air pews and a closed-in little cabin for people to use, it's just open for anyone. I have no idea who owns it, the county, state of Texas, a private citizen...no clue.

This thread makes me want to learn more about those who came before. +1, Ogga.

#10 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:23 AM

I think it's a nice thing to do, Ogga, and I also believe that there is merit in remembering the dead.

M

#11 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

Saudi woman beheaded for witchcraft: Amina bint Abdulhalim Nassar. (2011)

Officials found a book of witchcraft at her residence and several vials of unknown liquid. Nassar claimed to be a healer. She was the first to be executed for witchcraft in Saudi during 2011.

This reminds me of how lucky we really are to be able to practice without the fear of death and torture.

+1 Ogga, beautiful memorial post.

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#12 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:38 PM

+1 Ogga
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#13 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:05 PM

Giles Corey-- Salem, Massachussetts September 19, 1692. Innocent: Pressed to death and refused to confess to witchcraft. An American hero, one of the foundation stones of religious freedom in my country.

Posted Image

Edited by Caps, 23 June 2015 - 04:09 PM.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#14 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:28 PM

:applause:
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#15 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:50 PM

If anyone is interested, the podcast New World Witchery has a special episode called Learning Witchcraft, and in the beginning there is a reading of Tituba's trial .

www.newworldwitchery.com

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#16 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:18 PM

If anyone is interested, the podcast New World Witchery has a special episode called Learning Witchcraft, and in the beginning there is a reading of Tituba's trial .

www.newworldwitchery.com

I also have several links to many of the archived documents regarding the Salem Witch trials (which included more than Salem Village), including many of judges' and preachers' personal diaries (like Mather and Sewall) as well as their historical documentation of the trials if anyone is interested.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#17 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:51 PM

Note: this thread has been severely edited to bring it back on topic.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#18 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:08 AM

I was going to write- I wonder if we might ever return to those times? But then I read Izzie's note and was reminded that in some places we're still "there".
"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#19 Guest_SorcererSupreme_*

Guest_SorcererSupreme_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:40 PM

This reminds me of how lucky we really are to be able to practice without the fear of death and torture.

+1 Ogga, beautiful memorial post.

Lucky? The fear of death and torture may be over, but society still has ways of ostracizing witches by using deviant methods to make our lives harder.

I read in another post about a witch who was kicked out of an apartment because of what maintenance men found in her apartment, and she had hell trying to find another place to live.

Witch Hunting is not over.
I've always believed that with correct understanding we can alleviate many problems associated with the Craft.

I like to take the Witch Hunter's religion, mainly Christianity and show how much a Witch that Jesus was. Then maybe they will stop their attacks. I'm really good at this.