Comprehension and other Bruises

Scott

Greetings All out there!

I figured that if perhaps someone other than our hosts started a thread up it may encourage a bit more movement. With that in mind I have decided to start one on a subject that is not only dear to my heart but also I believe, apt given the situation of a new forum starting up.

One thing I am always amazed at is how little people seem inclined to read what is said by people. This happens in all the books but even more so on lists and forums. Oh sure people give a wee glance over what is said but generally not much more than this. More often than not I find that many people thereafter set about merrily typing away and wind up submitting a screed that has no relevance whatsoever to the post they are supposed to be responding to.

We have I feel all seen this in action ? the response is generally not actually about the original material, winds up on a tangent due to missing out a bit, misunderstanding it or the popular favourite ? the emotional reaction.

I feel that it is important to always remind myself to read CAREFULLY what people say and respond to THAT which is STATED. Not what I may EXTRAPOLATE from what they said, what I FEEL in response to what they said or what I THINK they MIGHT mean. Sometimes that means that I find myself deleting some stuff that I thought was ?cracking good? but well there it is. Sometimes it means I wind up feeling a bit behind the ?8 Ball? when I have to ask: ?Sorry ? don?t follow what is all that about?? or perhaps a bit frustrated at not really finding a way to express what I felt or warn where I think something might lead. When that happens, I remind myself that there is nothing wrong with doing all those and more as long as I state as much and be ready to explain or back up anything I might say to the audience.

I find that doing so is a good first step. After which, I type what I do after consideration, review what I have said to be sure it is what I want to say and RELEVANT and then I post it ? I find this procedure restricts the number of snarling matches I get into with people and the amount of egg I have to pick out of my beard! :o

What do people think have been some of the biggest off roads made due to misreading or being a tad sloppy on either end? For me one of the best ones I did on a public list was suggesting that homosexuality was a part of the Catholic Faith!! No I wasn't trying to be facetious - just forgot to put that ?not? in there! :lol:

Fraternally

Scott

• 2 months later...
Guest Elder RavenFire

I hear you. I once got in trouble for saying Sivler RavenWolf was the Best auther to read, but failed to put in "for me" and wow! I was in knee deep in that chat room. I get keyboard stupidy, and forget words, and how spell them, so I know where are comming from. Blessed be Elder Ravenfire.

Raven, we all write stupid stuff sometimes but it helps to meditate more and connect with yourself. Then plan what you are going to write beforehand (draft it in notepad and read it objectively before posting!)

The author you speak of is mainly geared towards teenage readers and is generally labelled as a "Sabrina The Teenage Witch" style of writing.

I can see why you were shot down in flames on another forum when you recommended her books for all to read (next time make sure you put the "for me personally" in there lol). I bought one of her books but I have to admit it didn't quite connect with me on a serious level.

If you personally find her words inspirational then thats great :)

Guest wortmistress

If you personally find her words inspirational then thats great :)

Hey, I have a few "select" Wiccan books that I have found to be inspirational- some of Marion Green's work are truly amazing. Yet I have also read some "Trad. Craft" books which I couldn't connect to at all...It's all very personal and just because we follow one tradition does not mean we can't live and learn from another. I enjoy the works of Gandhi,of Ram Das etc. Doesn't mean that I 'm being eclectic or about to convert to Hinduism/Jainism-just means I'm broadening my horizons. As i said before elsewhere on this site, there are Trad. groups who are moaning about Wiccans and I'm sure they would moan about me if they had the chance. But even Trad.Crafters can't agree on everything. I know some who honour deities and some who don't- some who cast a circle(compass) and some who don't. Basically my advice is, take what you can, honour it and integrate. If it doesn't fit into what a certain group is saying, maybe it's time to reassess...

Greetings wortmistress,

I think we all can learn from reading and meditating on different thoughts and approaches, as you mention if you find it strikes a chord then you integrate it into yourself.

Any path that's worth a damn is about broadening yourself and raising your own conssciousness, there are elements in most paths that are either the same or strike a chord, to ignore them is to ignore something that will help you.

If it works for you, use it.

absol-fcuking-lutely! :lol: There is SO much information out there - read it, absorb it and use what is relevant to yourself.

Who cares if its written by Morrison, Kate West, Rae Beth or The Farrars - if parts of what they write "speak" to you then use it.

Guest Elder RavenFire

I think out of all the site I've been to, and I've been on a lot, this is the one I like the most. Blessings RavenFire

Greetings All

If it works for you' date=' use it.[/quote']

Hehhehehe reminds me of years ago when I was still teaching.One student asked if I had anything that could break him out of a present funk he was in. I said most certainly and gave him a copy of a mix of Cunningham and Medici to "make friends" with the moon in a decidedly wiccan vein.

As he fancied himself something of the "hard warlock" so to speak, he was mortified. I just laughed and said that I often did it .. and for precisely the same reasons ... as I said "One eats Sorbet to clear the palate. This is innoffensive, simple, requires no effort and brings peace - who cares who wrote it?! At the end of the day you use the tool required and to hand - irrelevant of what you'd PREFER to be doing. This is not a spectator sport it's what you personally need to get you where you need to be."

He did it and it worked but frankly I don't think he ever "got it" *Shrugs* ahh well thems the breaks! *BG*

Fraternally

Scott

Guest Elder RavenFire

I like that. I should use that with my students. I hav some who think that way to. I never thought of it that way. Blessings RavenFire

Greetings All

As i said before elsewhere on this site, there are Trad. groups who are moaning about Wiccans and I'm sure they would moan about me if they had the chance. But even Trad.Crafters can't agree on everything. I know some who honour deities and some who don't- some who cast a circle(compass) and some who don't. Basically my advice is, take what you can, honour it and integrate. If it doesn't fit into what a certain group is saying, maybe it's time to reassess...

Oh hell yes ... *G* I always get nervous when people are nice for too long or smile at me too much! Hell even all of my own line dissagree vehemently on some aspects OF our own line! hahahah Gotta love that!

I find the Trad vs Wiccan deal interesamusing ... and occasionally useful HOWEVER .. I also believe that most people don't approach it in as practical way as they might. Some Trads don't use what they could really get good mileage out opf new ways for snobbishness sake and some newer lines don't understand that touting new banners is all but FATED to get oldies snarling and heckling. *Shrugs* I like to always remember that the witch that is going to last would NEVER simply do something a certain way cause it is old or cause it is new ... you do what you gotta to get your way with as little effort as possible - and that ain't ancient witchcraft - just common sense! (Or as I always said with a smirk: "Old Ninja secret that one ..." :roll: )

Consider the modern Wiccan deal as an example ... well as I have said elsewhere a lot of it is totally modern invention, it's sources being at best a teensy bit of what one of the new age once overheard a witch whispering somewhere. Now we all know that witch whisperings are as bad as the chinese whispers game .. and hell I have been guilty of spinning any old crap from time to time when I know I am being eavesdropped on .. just for the lark! :lol:

But hey, from my line we have long held views on the fact that the modern craft is indeed, while perhaps unpleasant to some of us ... not only an inevitability BUT a neccassary thing. (Suppose that is a side effect of having such an old rogue for a line progenitor!)

Hell many cures can be as revolting as the sickness .. but at the end of the day ... do they do the job that is needed (and there obviously I am being specific).

While personally I find a lot of modern craft to be somewht insideous as it tends to instill falsity as fact, I can still say with total sincerety that some of that I feel is totally neccessary for futures that I would see come to fruition. Besides of which, it always makes me chuckle to encounter people who will hear me say how much certain elements of modern craft get on my nerves and then point to a post whereby I exhort giving credit to Gardner ... hehheheheh after all ... just because I can't stand much of modern art doesn't mean I can't recognise genius in Picasso! :lol:

As with so much else - a complex topic where we must try at all times I feel to remain somewhat detached so that we can deal with the complexity in a useful way. So long as we all remember that our way is our way and GET ON with it ... I find little time to foist it at others like an ill fitting sports jacket. If everyone does THEIR thing then all the wee gogs make the wheel turn, it's only when we try to rearrange them all or make one like the other that suddenly we realise a fave of mine:

"It's like trying to fix a pocket watch with a hammer and chisel .. one false move and you'll never know the time of day again!" :D

Fraternally

Scott

Guest Elder RavenFire

your funny, I like you man! I get the biggest kick outta your posts, I really do. I argee with a lot of it though. You make sense, and that scares me, it really does. :applause: HA HA Blessings RavenFire

Greetings E.R.F

your funny, I like you man! I get the biggest kick outta your posts, I really do. I argee with a lot of it though. You make sense, and that scares me, it really does.

Well momma allaways said "You got to choice ... you either gotta laugh or cry" and I all my best seriousness, spooky whingey work nigh on 15 years ago now .... came to the conclusion that's a young man's game and I get tired too damn easily for it these days! :lol:

Fraternally

Scott

• 1 month later...

Archived