Photo
- - - - -

Nature Magic and Nature Relationships

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

I am gonna make it to Peru with you someday.

Hummingbirds are amazing creatures. I saw one the other day that flew up to me. It was very sweet.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#22 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:25 PM

I am gonna make it to Peru with you someday.

Hummingbirds are amazing creatures. I saw one the other day that flew up to me. It was very sweet.

Got a decent size group for this years retreat so it looks like it is something I can repeat yearly.... That is my goal right now. Actually, a long time friend from another magic forum is coming on the trip and it will be my first time meeting her, so that is exciting! I think you would like it there a lot :smile:

Hummingbirds are my favorite! Something special about those little guys...

#23 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:09 PM

One of the major parts of my path are forging and maintaining relationships with local spirits of all kinds. The physical and spiritual are intertwined each having expressions in the other so it makes sense to me to have a working relationship with those that can more easily manipulate the spiritual side of things. But as a human we can work the physical in ways that say a tree spirit cannot so through craftwork we can use their spiritual workings to give power to what we do physically. The Spirits of physical phenomenon can also work in physical ways we cannot and they can take our spiritual workings and work with them.

To give an example, I work a lot with trees and plants with thorns. There is a Hawthorn tree I am "friends" with in the forest and it will work with me for all manner of protective workings. But it lives in the forest and its spirit cannot just come to my house to work with me when I choose or go off to work in aspects of mine and others lives. So if I need its help I go to it and ask. If it will work with me I can take thorns and bark and fruit and through working with those by making powders, oils and tinctures or using the thorns for poking, the hawthorn can lend its spiritual power to those workings.

The tree also has ways of its own and I can give workings to it and it will do what ever it does to get the jobs done. That particular tree has spiritual roots in the "realm of the fae" so I leave workings there that I want the little ones to work with.

Sometimes I might speak or sing a working into the winds or into a storm or rain so that its spirits can carry it to where it needs to go. Other times I call upon the spirit of rain for help and collect the rain to use in my workings.

So for me there is no distinction between my spiritual work and my craftwork, they are intertwined, just as the spiritual and physical are intertwined within us as with the rest of nature.

I hope that makes sense.

#24 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:52 PM

It does. You don't practice magic. You live it.

That is one of the most beautiful descriptions I've ever seen on working with Nature Spirits.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#25 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:17 PM

Thank you :)

#26 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:44 AM

I have begun using relationships as a stronger foundation for my craft. It seems that I have a strong rapport with certain earth-bound things, and can utilize the land I am on for many things.

I think relationships are of huge importance...for the people who are made to be that way. And for those in relationships of some sort with the world around them, I think the benefit is multifold.... some things need fed everyday, some don't mind listening, some just like being noticed, some need their back scratched in order to scratch yours. I've noticed plants, in general, tend to be quite forgiving (definitely not all of them) and leaving a little water or fertiziler is a good gift for them. Rocks and dirt need charged a lot, and enjoy things like energy from you, lighting, etc. Animals need much more care, and through feeding them or forming a bond with them, you can send things with them, get info from them, ask favors, etc.

The river by where I grew seems to merely honor the longevity of our preexisting, non-material relationship (I was a "river rat" since I was a baby), so when I vented to the river and said, "I don't know what to do now," it cheered me up and helped me bring with the more material problems I was having. I didn't feel the need for an exchange, but I did make the river a promise, which I have done my best to honor and will continue to do so. I think the river is one of my few true nature spirit friends.

Relationships have a lot more power than mere manipulation, to some. I don't think it applies to everyone though, I know some people who do very well keeping everything at arm's distance and sending commands only. But, that surely is not me.

Also, I think throwing food out every night is just a good habit, magically speaking. It gives anything the chance to come through.... it is like feeding a spirit and more spirits show up - when the natural world sees you honoring it in some way, even small, and knows you are a reliable source of energy in some way, your "reputation" goes up in general. One thing I have learnt from hearing the dirt is that the natural world definitely communicates with itself, in all sorts of ways. Word gets around.

Edited by Ravenshaw, 11 June 2015 - 02:47 AM.

RSKHFMY

#27 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:45 PM

The only thing i'd add is that throwing food out every night can also lead to local creatures and spirits becoming corrupted and by default weakened. Natural boundaries and such get broken down and a creature's ability to survive in its natural habitat gets really screwed up. We think we're doing a service and such to them but in the end we remove their natural ability to adapt and their reluctance regarding the human presence. we cause them to starve and die as their populations grow larger than the land can support and deformities appear in the resultant populations.

Most ecologist will tell you never to feed the wildlife where it be mammal, avian, insect, etc. So it becomes a thin line that is easily crossed in the name of doing good, yet more often than not does more harm than good in the long run.

#28 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:41 PM

True, throwing food out can disrupt the natural processes. However, it is indeed one way to built a relationship with things coming through. Dependency, while not the best situation, is certainly a relationship.

RSKHFMY

#29 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:38 AM

True, throwing food out can disrupt the natural processes. However, it is indeed one way to built a relationship with things coming through. Dependency, while not the best situation, is certainly a relationship.

Sadly isn't that very close to the relationship a slave and his / her master also had? He / she who has and he / she who has not and is dependent upon the mercy and benefit of another with the justification that they have a relationship in the eyes of the one with the higher influence. Then ensuring said dependency which more often than not only serves the interest of the one in control and capable of bestowing "rewards" upon those who accept their lessor position in the equation.

In some ways not dissimilar in my mind to the people who move to the country side and love everything except for all the animals that disrupt their gardens, lawns, etc by their presence. That or the possums, raccoon's, rats, mice, feral domesticated pets, etc that come to rely upon the handouts or endanger the balance of the area.

Not pointing fingers at you Ravenshaw just speaking in general and what i've seen it do far to many times.

#30 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:40 AM

Hopefully this doesn't result in another double post. getting really annoying when you post but it doesn't show up then shows up as a double post

#31 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:20 AM

Sadly isn't that very close to the relationship a slave and his / her master also had? He / she who has and he / she who has not and is dependent upon the mercy and benefit of another with the justification that they have a relationship in the eyes of the one with the higher influence. Then ensuring said dependency which more often than not only serves the interest of the one in control and capable of bestowing "rewards" upon those who accept their lessor position in the equation....

For me it is more like a big circle.... I depend on the earth because without it obviously, lol ,none of us would exist. And I depend on the plants and animals for food, and the weather cycles for water, etc. So I leave out bread every night. I seriously doubt that a single opossum has given up all his instincts or forraging due to my one slice of bread. I also don't even know who eats it... from the opossum to the stray cat to a mound of ants to the birds that also eat my elder berries....

M

#32 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:49 PM

I think if the trees are already chopped down to make cities and the grass is already paved over with roads - the balance is already disrupted. If anything, animals finding some bread here and there might improve the balance in that situation. Or maybe there is a new type of balance at that point based on what resources are available.

I live in a city and there is lots of scraps for animals to scavenge for around here - so far I havent come across any problems. I bet the animals are happier then if they had to starve on the streets anyways - not as many plants for them to get food from, so good thing we humans are so messy we leave scraps everywhere!

#33 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:51 PM

I think if the trees are already chopped down to make cities and the grass is already paved over with roads - the balance is already disrupted.

This point is excellent, I think

RSKHFMY

#34 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:09 AM

Bump

RSKHFMY