#1 CrowSnakeHareToad

CrowSnakeHareToad

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:47 PM

Hey everyone,

SO firstly if anyone wanted to try my usual way of making holy water would be to use spring water, place a hag stone and something of silver (for its correspondence to the moon) into the water and chant my own blessings upon it. This way of making Holy water I think comes from scotland.

But I was thinking seeing as psalms are quite commonly used in traditional craft I was wondering if anyone uses any for blessing Holy water? if so which ones? Would this of been a method used by the old cunning men and women? I am quite surprised I have never come across this.

Thank you

#2 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

Hey everyone,

SO firstly if anyone wanted to try my usual way of making holy water would be to use spring water, place a hag stone and something of silver (for its correspondence to the moon) into the water and chant my own blessings upon it. This way of making Holy water I think comes from scotland.

But I was thinking seeing as psalms are quite commonly used in traditional craft I was wondering if anyone uses any for blessing Holy water? if so which ones? Would this of been a method used by the old cunning men and women? I am quite surprised I have never come across this.

Thank you

Great topic.
In the catholic ritual, the way I've seen it at least, there are three parts, and holy water is made pretty much the same way this is done in the Salomon Key. Notice that in the catholic ritual, holy water also contains salt.
Therefore first goes the classic exorcism of the salt (I'm going by heart here, I don't have my breviary with me) ' I exorcise thee creature of salt...' . Then you'd go on the water 'I bless thee creature of water...' .
The proportions are normally one part of (rock) salt, three parts of water.
After that, normally a blessing prayer or psalm is said on the water and salt.
The priest I used to know when I was a kid would use everything from the Bible that would talk about either baptism, or the washing of sins my water. Psalm 103 is normally a good choice, as are John 5,1-6 (He came with water and blood...), and my favorite, psalm 51.
Personally, this is the way I normally go (with some small modifications).

When performed by a priest this would normally end with a pater noster, or other appropriate prayers. When done by witches, this normally ends with the final blessing of salt and water.
You will find the rituals in pretty much every catholic breviary or exorcism breviary, which are readily available in catholic shops. In many churches, the water is blessed on the Saturday evening, either before the vesper mass (the Saturday evening mass), or before it. It is not a secret ritual, so it is quite easy to watch how it is performed 'live'.

Aria

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#3 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for that info Aria +1.

CrowSnakeHareToad, In a lot of trad craft your more likely to come across talk of stealing holy water than making it yourself.

#4 CrowSnakeHareToad

CrowSnakeHareToad

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:42 PM

Great topic.
In the catholic ritual, the way I've seen it at least, there are three parts, and holy water is made pretty much the same way this is done in the Salomon Key. Notice that in the catholic ritual, holy water also contains salt.
Therefore first goes the classic exorcism of the salt (I'm going by heart here, I don't have my breviary with me) ' I exorcise thee creature of salt...' . Then you'd go on the water 'I bless thee creature of water...' .
The proportions are normally one part of (rock) salt, three parts of water.
After that, normally a blessing prayer or psalm is said on the water and salt.
The priest I used to know when I was a kid would use everything from the Bible that would talk about either baptism, or the washing of sins my water. Psalm 103 is normally a good choice, as are John 5,1-6 (He came with water and blood...), and my favorite, psalm 51.
Personally, this is the way I normally go (with some small modifications).

When performed by a priest this would normally end with a pater noster, or other appropriate prayers. When done by witches, this normally ends with the final blessing of salt and water.
You will find the rituals in pretty much every catholic breviary or exorcism breviary, which are readily available in catholic shops. In many churches, the water is blessed on the Saturday evening, either before the vesper mass (the Saturday evening mass), or before it. It is not a secret ritual, so it is quite easy to watch how it is performed 'live'.

Aria

Thank you. I have used the solomon Key version for blessing water too.
I will try it with them psalms after too.

#5 CrowSnakeHareToad

CrowSnakeHareToad

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for that info Aria +1.

CrowSnakeHareToad, In a lot of trad craft your more likely to come across talk of stealing holy water than making it yourself.

Yes I have heard this too.

#6 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:01 PM

I think Aria covered everything....+1 from me!
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#7 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:02 AM

This is often the case in Italian witchcraft. Palm Sunday is traditionally the day one would stock holy water, as it is given out to churgh-goers for the blessing of the family and the house.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#8 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:49 AM

Good job Aria! +1
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Holy water, psalms, bible