Sign in to follow this  
hareandsixpence

Four Thieves Vinegar

I've just made a giant batch of this. I use Apple Cider Vinegar rather than red wine vinegar, because I can't tolerate it, sadly. It's currently festering in a cupboard and looks like a swamp in a bottle...I use rosemary, thyme, mint, mashed garlic, coriander seed and yellow mustard seeds. In another 6 weeks it'll probably be able to kill superbugs, as well as being a handy magical brew ;)

Anyone here have their own variation they'd like to add?

The "traditional" (cough, cough) recipe is one herb for each of the thieves plus garlic (which is a foodstuff, not an herb - old-style). I use Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary and Thyme, which are all antibacterial & somewhat antiviral, in red wine vinegar. I allow that to macerate for a week or so, strain, then add the garlic & allow that to macerate for a week or so before final strain & use. ACV is just as good as RWV - better in some cases because (if you're using organic) it has more beneficial health qualities.

Yes, I usually use Lavender too (the four herbs + garlic way)...My bushes aren't out yet though so I will have to add it to the next batch. I haven't used coriander as a substitute before, but thought I'd give it a go considering its many health benefits...This lot is particularly for helping me out after a series of infections (I'm immuno-compromised). I always use organic Apple Cider with 'The Mother' because it works wonders for my immune system!

Edited by hareandsixpence

I love four thieves! My recipe:

Apple Cider Vinegar

Garlic

Ginger

Oregano

Thyme

Rosemary

Those herbs being steeped in the vinegar from new moon to new moon

• Upvote 1

I think master tonic would be more useful for your particular usage than four thieves.

*shrug*

My 2pp!

I am fatally allergic to hot peppers to the point of carrying adrenaline pens, which is why I rely on altering 4 thieves rather than anything that includes Cayenne. etc - (it's a real bummer as I used to love chilli, I developed a type 1 allergy spontaneously some years ago thanks to my immune woo) - Although I do frequently drink onion tea - thanks for the horseradish tip though, haven't tried that yet :smile:

I know, right? It's nowhere near as harsh as a nut allergy or similar, as nuts are in practically EVERYTHING, but it can still put a crimp in the day when you're carted off to A&E.

I know, right? It's nowhere near as harsh as a nut allergy or similar, as nuts are in practically EVERYTHING, but it can still put a crimp in the day when you're carted off to A&E.

I feel ya! I've always had pretty terrible respiratory and skin allergies, but never food allergies until after I had my daughter. All of a sudden I'm allergic to Tuna- ugh!! I have several Epi-Pens just in case.

I'm making some right now with Apple Cider Vinegar (with the Mother) and garlic, and rosemary, coriander, black peppercorns, and hawaiian chili peppers...

I've actually developed an intolerance to hot peppers as well, but for my purpose I'm not making this for internal use (though my boyfriend does like hot peppers, so he can definitely utilize it for its internal benefits as well).

How are you going to use it IB? I had only seen the name before and it was linked to spell work rather than for health the way people are mentioning it here.

I'm going to use it in a banishing spell...  :cauldron:

("traditionally," I've read that it evolved as a health tonic because of the plague - that's the lore anyway: there were four thieves during plague years in Europe who were robbing people's homes all over the place due to the widespread sickness and incapacitation - yet not catching the plague themselves - so there's one herb for each of the four thieves in the recipe (plus garlic))

I was talking with someone on line about banishing spells and they gave their mother's for banishing that could not be consumed. She didn't like using garlic. I have a batch going now. 

1 tablespoon of [dried] Cloves instead of garlic

1 - 2 large tablespoons of [dried] Thyme
1 - 2 large tablespoons of [dried] Rosemary 
2 large tablespoons of [dried] Lavender 
1 - 2 large tablespoons of Sage [dried]
1 - 2 large tablespoons of [dried] Mint (Do not exceed 2 tablespoons of Mint)

16 - 32-ounce bottle of white vinegar

I love this stuff :) At the moment, I have two bottles: one with the intention of eating, and one that I don't intend to eat. I know technically people do eat lavender, but I personally prefer not to. So, my bottle that won't be eaten has lavender as one of the herbs. I love to use the one made for eating in my bone broth, or anywhere I'd usually add acv to food. It makes a bloody good salad dressing when mixed with olive oil, too.

• Upvote 1

I love this stuff :) At the moment, I have two bottles: one with the intention of eating, and one that I don't intend to eat. I know technically people do eat lavender, but I personally prefer not to. So, my bottle that won't be eaten has lavender as one of the herbs. I love to use the one made for eating in my bone broth, or anywhere I'd usually add acv to food. It makes a bloody good salad dressing when mixed with olive oil, too.

Ngh, I grew up near a town that had a yearly lavender festival, and there was lavender EVERYTHING. Lavender cookies, lavender ice cream, lavender coffee….never again.

Ngh, I grew up near a town that had a yearly lavender festival, and there was lavender EVERYTHING. Lavender cookies, lavender ice cream, lavender coffee….never again.

Oh, i don't know - lavender icecream is not bad - made naturally it is a cool green colour. Admittedly mum's lavender fudge didn't do it for me though, so perhaps there is a perfect amount of lavender into which each person's life should fall :D

Oooh I love lavender! I used to hate it but when we moved to our new house it was growing in the garden and I started working with it. It feels like a real ally :) Never tried it in ice cream to be fair! *boke*

I'd like to add a little update about how I had a different version of four thieves vinegar for cleaning: I don't like using it for cleaning the kitchen, anymore, it makes the whole room smell like salami :huh: :P :D

Sign in to follow this