• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hareandsixpence

hareandsixpence

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

I've just made a giant batch of this. I use Apple Cider Vinegar rather than red wine vinegar, because I can't tolerate it, sadly. It's currently festering in a cupboard and looks like a swamp in a bottle...I use rosemary, thyme, mint, mashed garlic, coriander seed and yellow mustard seeds. In another 6 weeks it'll probably be able to kill superbugs, as well as being a handy magical brew ;)

Anyone here have their own variation they'd like to add?

#2 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

The "traditional" (cough, cough) recipe is one herb for each of the thieves plus garlic (which is a foodstuff, not an herb - old-style). I use Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary and Thyme, which are all antibacterial & somewhat antiviral, in red wine vinegar. I allow that to macerate for a week or so, strain, then add the garlic & allow that to macerate for a week or so before final strain & use. ACV is just as good as RWV - better in some cases because (if you're using organic) it has more beneficial health qualities.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#3 hareandsixpence

hareandsixpence

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:46 PM

Yes, I usually use Lavender too (the four herbs + garlic way)...My bushes aren't out yet though so I will have to add it to the next batch. I haven't used coriander as a substitute before, but thought I'd give it a go considering its many health benefits...This lot is particularly for helping me out after a series of infections (I'm immuno-compromised). I always use organic Apple Cider with 'The Mother' because it works wonders for my immune system!

Edited by hareandsixpence, 27 May 2015 - 06:47 PM.

#4 Barsa

Barsa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:20 PM

I love four thieves! My recipe:

Apple Cider Vinegar
Garlic
Ginger
Oregano
Thyme
Rosemary

Those herbs being steeped in the vinegar from new moon to new moon

"Sweet are the uses of adversity, which, like the toad, ugly and venomous, wears yet a precious jewel in his head;
And this our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in every thing."

#5 hareandsixpence

hareandsixpence

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:28 PM

Oooh, I haven't thought about Ginger in it before, bet it festers well though!

#6 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:11 PM

I think master tonic would be more useful for your particular usage than four thieves.

*shrug*

My 2pp!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#7 hareandsixpence

hareandsixpence

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:38 PM

I am fatally allergic to hot peppers to the point of carrying adrenaline pens, which is why I rely on altering 4 thieves rather than anything that includes Cayenne. etc - (it's a real bummer as I used to love chilli, I developed a type 1 allergy spontaneously some years ago thanks to my immune woo) - Although I do frequently drink onion tea - thanks for the horseradish tip though, haven't tried that yet :smile:

Edited by hareandsixpence, 28 May 2015 - 08:40 PM.

#8 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

Ohh, that stinks!

Glad to try to help!

*tips hat*

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#9 hareandsixpence

hareandsixpence

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:47 PM

I know, right? It's nowhere near as harsh as a nut allergy or similar, as nuts are in practically EVERYTHING, but it can still put a crimp in the day when you're carted off to A&E.

Edited by hareandsixpence, 28 May 2015 - 08:49 PM.

#10 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:21 AM

I know, right? It's nowhere near as harsh as a nut allergy or similar, as nuts are in practically EVERYTHING, but it can still put a crimp in the day when you're carted off to A&E.

I feel ya! I've always had pretty terrible respiratory and skin allergies, but never food allergies until after I had my daughter. All of a sudden I'm allergic to Tuna- ugh!! I have several Epi-Pens just in case.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#11 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:14 AM

I'm making some right now with Apple Cider Vinegar (with the Mother) and garlic, and rosemary, coriander, black peppercorns, and hawaiian chili peppers...

I've actually developed an intolerance to hot peppers as well, but for my purpose I'm not making this for internal use (though my boyfriend does like hot peppers, so he can definitely utilize it for its internal benefits as well).

#12 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

How are you going to use it IB? I had only seen the name before and it was linked to spell work rather than for health the way people are mentioning it here.

#13 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

How are you going to use it IB? I had only seen the name before and it was linked to spell work rather than for health the way people are mentioning it here.

I'm going to use it in a banishing spell...  :cauldron:

("traditionally," I've read that it evolved as a health tonic because of the plague - that's the lore anyway: there were four thieves during plague years in Europe who were robbing people's homes all over the place due to the widespread sickness and incapacitation - yet not catching the plague themselves - so there's one herb for each of the four thieves in the recipe (plus garlic))