Sign in to follow this  
Tuuli

Divination: Powerful tool or waste of time?

I think divination can be a powerful tool AND a waste of time.

I acutely remember when I had a cold, but for some reason I was convinced that someone was hexing the dingleberries out of me. Instead of cozying up with some tea and nyquil I was on my floor reading spread after spread that confirmed my worst fears about this terrible woman who had hexed me (she is not, nor I believe ever has been, a magical user, although I admit the possibility of the evil eye exists).

I think divination is good to gather information, but stops becoming useful when it turns you into an 'armchair witch'. Or, when you get caught up in absurd realities like I did.

Otherwise I enjoy divination as a tool, although I read much less now than when I used to.

I like to use divination just to try to see more clearly what is happening now. Occasionally- if I feel anxious I will do a future reading and sometimes I'' even double check the result with another oracle.

It's more fun to read for others; then it's up to them whether it's a waste of time :crystal-gazing:

I think it's something one, (at least I), have to continually do; in order to stay in practice.

I try to do a weekly reading (tarot), which I'm not consecutive about, and when I'm having an issue with something and need a different perspective. All of mine have been spot on. Everyone's different. As for doing a daily read, for me, I can't see the point. That's just a little too much and can lead to dependency.

Yes, but it is also good practice, and depending on what question is asked in a daily read, one might be able to avoid an unpleasantness and/or danger.

I haven't read much lately at all.

I don't want to know.

I probably should but I really don't. Want to know, that is. Sometimes, knowing what is to come is the worst thing you can do to yourself. Check. Lesson learned.

Sounds like you already know, without having to do a reading.

I don't know if things have changed in the year and a half since this began.

I've been trying something new and not turning to divination for everything. I think it's time to find a middle ground.

Divination is extremely useful for activities such as:

Crop placement

Game movement

Finding a water source or well

Locating a crossroads

In my observations it seems that too many people have an extremely narrow viewpoint of divination and what it is used for...or the methods even. Cartomancy? Sure, but what about osteomancy, scapulimancy, geomancy, pyromancy, hydromancy, etc.? It's not just about locating stolen property, asking the cards information about a potential lover, or doing a reading in the morning to see how a job interview will go. Some cunning folks have it intricately interwoven into their daily lives where everything they do can almost be seen as one step ahead of the mundane and is rarely noticed by others around them. A big waste of time for most people.

Edited by Caps
  • Upvote 1

One ought to choose the divination method according to what is being divined for. Cards won't work well for finding water, etc. but a pendulum or rod will. But for intricate answers to life issues,Tarot cards are great, whereas the rod or pendulum are not. But these are only a means or tool to use, because the real Diviner is the person, who after some time, may not need the external tool any more.

• Upvote 3

Case in point: did my regular New Years's tarot reading. Final card (Celtic Cross spread) was the Five of Pentacles. That's not a card you want to see for "likely final outcome". Ruined my night. :(

Divination is extremely useful for activities such as:

Crop placement

Game movement

Finding a water source or well

Locating a crossroads

In my observations it seems that too many people have an extremely narrow viewpoint of divination and what it is used for...or the methods even. Cartomancy? Sure, but what about osteomancy, scapulimancy, geomancy, pyromancy, hydromancy, etc.? It's not just about locating stolen property, asking the cards information about a potential lover, or doing a reading in the morning to see how a job interview will go. Some cunning folks have it intricately interwoven into their daily lives where everything they do can almost be seen as one step ahead of the mundane and is rarely noticed by others around them. A big waste of time for most people.

I personally like phallomancy

I personally like phallomancy

I'd get no benefit from that.

Phallomancy is a real thing, ya'll! You don't read your own, but other people's phallus(es?) what is the plural of phallus?

I figured - that's why I asked. Instead, I googled.

In ancient times it was the reading of a bull's penis. It's since become reading of a man's penis.

Phallomancy sounds like a legit reason for a guy to rename his manhood "Nostradamus" or "my magic wand". :whistling:

Haha! That gave me a much needed giggle this morning!

As for divination, I haven't read much for myself lately, just been doing readings for others. Probably because I always get the same reply no matter what I ask for myself.

Edited by westofthemoon

I've been taught that one should start with divination before anything else.

I also always do divination before rituals. It helps clear things.

Divination is just another way of interacting with the world to get and process information. Its not inherently good or bad, it is up to the individual how and what they do with that information.

tuuli do you see that that magazine was printed and bound in volumes? it would be awesome to have the full collection.

Like any tool it depends on how you use it. If you are constantly questioning what is coming up, not really paying attention to readings you don't like or reading what you want for others not what is there it is a waste of time. I have found it useful on situations. Received guidance. I use some methods to contact my dead so I trust what they are giving me. Like any tool you should not rely on it completely. It should enhance what you are utilizing it for. 

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this