Photo
- - - - -

Divination: Powerful tool or waste of time?

divination tarot astrology witchcraft

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:39 PM

+1

for this "So my advice is if you are having successes with divination then keep up your practice. If you are not then maybe your stronger suits lie elsewhere in the art of magick."

#22 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:28 AM

Well, I can't remember the last time I posted here.. I meant to come by yesterday for the solstice but got sidetracked.
Anyway, interesting thread. I can understand where they're coming from in this article.
I still do a full tarot spread every New Year's Eve, for the new year, and one again around July while on vacation (everyone gathers in the cabin for a reading, even the devout Catholics that are my in-laws! Some of those have been truly scary on-target. As in, sudden death in the family scary.)

But as to something like a daily reading, using runes or cards or what have you in the morning, I've think I'm better off anymore if I just don't. More peace of mind that way.
If I get a negative looking reading, I'd be like, "Oh that's great, it's gonna be a shit day.. lovely" and my day would be kinda ruined. (I don't believe in sugarcoating unpleasant readings and trying to turn them into unicorn kisses, especially for myself). But sometimes, the day wasn't actually all that bad and I got myself bothered for no good reason. Other days, I had what seemed a good or neutral reading but had a truly horrible day. But mostly, on any given day you never know exactly what's going to get thrown at you exactly when or how (at least on a small time scale), so I've decided to just roll with it, insofar as a daily basis goes, and leave my divination for special occasions. After all, there's only so much you can do with limited warning; you always have more control over how you handle a situation (i.e., yourself) than you have over the situation itself, or at least, that's my experience. (Though sometimes, I must admit I seem to have no control over either! )

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#23 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:03 PM

I was doing some reading on fate and how concrete it really is. (I can't remember if it was this site or another tbh) But someone raised a very good point that (assuming you believe fate is not a 100% sealed deal) divination becomes a useful tool because you can influence unfavorable readings and change the outcome. I suppose the same would be true of the reverse. So if you did a reading and it was unlucky, say a financial crisis upcoming. A spell could be cast to for prosperity. Even warning the person of the upcoming financial hardship might cause them to not make a bad investment or spend money frivolously. This makes perfect sense to me. While I believe there are some things that are just meant to be (or not) I believe most things are up for chance and our choices or influence absolutely will change the outcome.

#24 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:10 PM

That depends on how set in stone the reading is. If 4 or 5 major arcana pop up - there ain't much hope in changing the outcome. But, otherwise, yeah.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#25 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:28 PM

That depends on how set in stone the reading is. If 4 or 5 major arcana pop up - there ain't much hope in changing the outcome. But, otherwise, yeah.

Good point.

#26 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:05 PM

I think divination can be a powerful tool AND a waste of time.

I acutely remember when I had a cold, but for some reason I was convinced that someone was hexing the dingleberries out of me. Instead of cozying up with some tea and nyquil I was on my floor reading spread after spread that confirmed my worst fears about this terrible woman who had hexed me (she is not, nor I believe ever has been, a magical user, although I admit the possibility of the evil eye exists).

I think divination is good to gather information, but stops becoming useful when it turns you into an 'armchair witch'. Or, when you get caught up in absurd realities like I did.

Otherwise I enjoy divination as a tool, although I read much less now than when I used to.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#27 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:28 AM

I like to use divination just to try to see more clearly what is happening now. Occasionally- if I feel anxious I will do a future reading and sometimes I'' even double check the result with another oracle.
It's more fun to read for others; then it's up to them whether it's a waste of time :crystal-gazing:
I think it's something one, (at least I), have to continually do; in order to stay in practice.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#28 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 05:11 PM

I try to do a weekly reading (tarot), which I'm not consecutive about, and when I'm having an issue with something and need a different perspective. All of mine have been spot on. Everyone's different. As for doing a daily read, for me, I can't see the point. That's just a little too much and can lead to dependency.

#29 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:13 PM

Yes, but it is also good practice, and depending on what question is asked in a daily read, one might be able to avoid an unpleasantness and/or danger.

#30 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

I haven't read much lately at all.

I don't want to know.

I probably should but I really don't. Want to know, that is. Sometimes, knowing what is to come is the worst thing you can do to yourself. Check. Lesson learned.

#31 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:43 PM

Sounds like you already know, without having to do a reading.

#32 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:00 PM

I don't know if things have changed in the year and a half since this began.

I've been trying something new and not turning to divination for everything. I think it's time to find a middle ground.

#33 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:04 AM

Divination is extremely useful for activities such as:

Crop placement
Game movement
Finding a water source or well
Locating a crossroads

In my observations it seems that too many people have an extremely narrow viewpoint of divination and what it is used for...or the methods even. Cartomancy? Sure, but what about osteomancy, scapulimancy, geomancy, pyromancy, hydromancy, etc.? It's not just about locating stolen property, asking the cards information about a potential lover, or doing a reading in the morning to see how a job interview will go. Some cunning folks have it intricately interwoven into their daily lives where everything they do can almost be seen as one step ahead of the mundane and is rarely noticed by others around them. A big waste of time for most people.

Edited by Caps, 29 December 2015 - 05:05 AM.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#34 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

One ought to choose the divination method according to what is being divined for. Cards won't work well for finding water, etc. but a pendulum or rod will. But for intricate answers to life issues,Tarot cards are great, whereas the rod or pendulum are not. But these are only a means or tool to use, because the real Diviner is the person, who after some time, may not need the external tool any more.

#35 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:10 PM

Case in point: did my regular New Years's tarot reading. Final card (Celtic Cross spread) was the Five of Pentacles. That's not a card you want to see for "likely final outcome". Ruined my night. :(
http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#36 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:21 PM

No, it's really not.

#37 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:19 PM

Divination is extremely useful for activities such as:

Crop placement
Game movement
Finding a water source or well
Locating a crossroads

In my observations it seems that too many people have an extremely narrow viewpoint of divination and what it is used for...or the methods even. Cartomancy? Sure, but what about osteomancy, scapulimancy, geomancy, pyromancy, hydromancy, etc.? It's not just about locating stolen property, asking the cards information about a potential lover, or doing a reading in the morning to see how a job interview will go. Some cunning folks have it intricately interwoven into their daily lives where everything they do can almost be seen as one step ahead of the mundane and is rarely noticed by others around them. A big waste of time for most people.

I personally like phallomancy

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#38 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:58 PM

I personally like phallomancy

Groan. ;)

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#39 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:04 PM

How exactly would one practice phallomancy?

#40 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:06 PM

As often as possible?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: divination, tarot, astrology, witchcraft