Photo
- - - - -

Cushion recommendations for meditation?

meditation equipment body support product recommendations help with meditation ritual

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

Ok so here's my dilemma; Usually I meditate daily while laying down prior to bedtime or other times I sit on my couch, both of which are comfortable and pose no issues w/regards to comfort and/or pain. However, I have all hardwood floors and sometimes it becomes a serious pain in the ass (literally) when I'm actually practicing witchcraft and sitting on the floor for long bouts of time during ritual for things like visualization, pathworkings, and spell work. If I sit on the floor longer than 20 min at a time, it produces quite a bit of back pain (which can make it harder to concentrate if I'm working sitting down) during the ritual and def for a day or two afterwards.

I do Yoga from time to time (on a mat) and while I don't suffer the same type of repercussions, I'm not constantly sitting and/or standing in one place for longer than a min or two. I've tried using towels and even bed pillows to no avail.

I've seen a lot of different cushions for sale for mediation purposes, ranging in price from affordable to surprisingly expensive in addition to a wide range of reviews for them. It's not just the hardwood floor that's the problem, it's also my posture. I slouch (I have "sway back" kind of like a gymnast despite being fit) and there's no back support if I'm sitting on the floor as opposed to sitting on the couch and/or laying down in my bed or the couch. I don't mind investing in something that works, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money for a cushion touted to be comfortable for meditation, that might serve no better purpose than a cheaper, regular cushion.

Has anyone ever had this problem and have you managed to find a decent solution to it and/or do you know if the cushions designed for meditation help reduce pain/correct postural problems associated w/not sitting on an actual chair of some sort?

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#2 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:25 PM

Have you thought about one of those video gaming chairs they sell for sitting on the floor in front of the TV?

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#3 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

There are some very handsome meditation chairs out there, and if they're too expensive you could always buy a second hand chair and simply remove the legs.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#4 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:32 PM

Do you have to sit on the floor? I slouch horrible, lol, so do most inside things sitting at my kitchen table. When I'm outside I sit on the back steps and lean my back against the back door.Or can you sit on the floor and lean against a wall??

M

#5 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:51 PM

Afraid I really can't give an input on this one. Being shamanic in that I connect to the spirit realm and outside, meditation does not include chairs, mats, etc as I want to touch and interact with my environment. Sometimes the physical discomfort and pain is needed as both a sensory deprivation or sensory overload but also as a grounding to hold the spirit to the body.

#6 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:00 PM

I would think any small cushion would do it if a yoga mat helps. Why not stick to a yoga mat? You could do it up a certain way to make it a "special" one for crafting or meditating if it seems too mundane or is distracting for your work as is. I usually just do it wherever I am. I have meditated on dirt, in trees, in water mostly submerged. At my house its hard unless I just lay in bed because of pets and other people puttering around. The pain is something to work through or even channel. For me its on the same level as the little itches you disconnect yourself from, albeit more uncomfortable, but a good exersize. Sitting in a tree isnt always comfortable for a long time (poking branches, sore bum, etc), but then its just a point of connection that begins to feel like I'm plugged in to it, it fades away as I do and then brings me back when its time for the next thing. Then again I dont know your pain level and it just might not be workable.

If its your posture then that is something to work on, then you can sit for longer and might find it helps your energies flow more easily. I'm not good at posture either, I dont do yoga (which I thnk would be helpful to me, actually), but I do a lot of recreational stretching haha, it feels good and it seems to release blockages. The only other suggestion would be those donut cushions which are supposed to be good for all kinds of things, or those cushions you tie onto wooden chairs. You could make your own and stuff it with whatever makes sense (for example, natural materials from a favorite place, something to ground you no matter where you are).

#7 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:47 PM

Ok so here's my dilemma; Usually I meditate daily while laying down prior to bedtime or other times I sit on my couch, both of which are comfortable and pose no issues w/regards to comfort and/or pain. However, I have all hardwood floors and sometimes it becomes a serious pain in the ass (literally) when I'm actually practicing witchcraft and sitting on the floor for long bouts of time during ritual for things like visualization, pathworkings, and spell work. If I sit on the floor longer than 20 min at a time, it produces quite a bit of back pain (which can make it harder to concentrate if I'm working sitting down) during the ritual and def for a day or two afterwards.

I do Yoga from time to time (on a mat) and while I don't suffer the same type of repercussions, I'm not constantly sitting and/or standing in one place for longer than a min or two. I've tried using towels and even bed pillows to no avail.

I've seen a lot of different cushions for sale for mediation purposes, ranging in price from affordable to surprisingly expensive in addition to a wide range of reviews for them. It's not just the hardwood floor that's the problem, it's also my posture. I slouch (I have "sway back" kind of like a gymnast despite being fit) and there's no back support if I'm sitting on the floor as opposed to sitting on the couch and/or laying down in my bed or the couch. I don't mind investing in something that works, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money for a cushion touted to be comfortable for meditation, that might serve no better purpose than a cheaper, regular cushion.

Has anyone ever had this problem and have you managed to find a decent solution to it and/or do you know if the cushions designed for meditation help reduce pain/correct postural problems associated w/not sitting on an actual chair of some sort?

_____
If you are sitting in a cross leg posture, you need a thick firm to med support mat (a carpet with underlay would do), and you have to elevate your hips on a mat (I use a thick canvas bag filled with small white or mung beans) or you can buy a meditation cushion, which will straighten your spine. There is an excellent book called the Posture of Meditation...link http://www.shambhala...meditation.html

#8 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

I was going to suggest video game chair, also. All those directions are for people without chronic back problems.

Eventually and with a lot of practice you can work your way up to meditating through the physical discomfort. (It's helpful when you get into a daily practice.)

Is there a reason that it needs to be a special meditation cushion? It is a traditional kinda thing.

I vote for comfort.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#9 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

I can't help on the cushion front but I used to suffer from back pain similar to what you describe. I have a couple of tricks for getting rid of it or at least reducing it so it no longer distracts.

The first one is a mental trick and is easy to do during meditation and also works on itches and other distracting stimuli as well. First you have to understand that the pain or itch is not a constant thing, it pulses "on off on off" that's why its so annoying. So you train your mind on the pain or itch and imagine it pulsing on and off and then you focus only on "off" and immediately you should get relief from it. With practice you should be able to this without disrupting your meditation. It might take a few tries to figure it out but it kinda feels like you flip a switch and it goes away.

The second one is much harder to stay in meditation with but can be useful and that is to visualise the pain as a large thorn or spike sticking into the body. Then you grab the end of it with your hand and pull it out. (What you then do with the thorn/spike of pain is up to you)

I can't say for sure if this will work for you but I have taught this to a few non witch people and its worked for all of them. It will be interesting to see if it works for other people here.

#10 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:59 PM

I was going to suggest video game chair, also. All those directions are for people without chronic back problems.

Eventually and with a lot of practice you can work your way up to meditating through the physical discomfort. (It's helpful when you get into a daily practice.)

Is there a reason that it needs to be a special meditation cushion? It is a traditional kinda thing.

I vote for comfort.

___
The cushion straightens your spine by elevating your hips a little higher than your knees. This allows even weight distribution down the spine and through the hips into the floor = comfort.

#11 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:44 PM

Wow thanks y'all! I hadn't thought of the gaming cushions! We have wireless controllers (he he)...
It doesn't have to be traditional, but I thought there might be something to what AM said and was curious if anyone's used those cushions in that manner and had it work. Do you use one @AM and does it help do what it's supposed to? Is there a particular one you or anyone would recommend?

Ironically working outside never seems to pose any problems bc I'm either standing up or literally have my back against a tree and I guess nature can just be nicer to you sometimes, lol. Seriously I can mediate w/my back against a tree w/o any problems. I just can't always work outside (which is what I'd prefer to be honest), which sucks bc it always seems like it's raining or the weather is crappy when I want to do ritual outside.

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#12 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:06 PM

Wow thanks y'all! I hadn't thought of the gaming cushions! We have wireless controllers (he he)...
It doesn't have to be traditional, but I thought there might be something to what AM said and was curious if anyone's used those cushions in that manner and had it work. Do you use one @AM and does it help do what it's supposed to? Is there a particular one you or anyone would recommend?

Ironically working outside never seems to pose any problems bc I'm either standing up or literally have my back against a tree and I guess nature can just be nicer to you sometimes, lol. Seriously I can mediate w/my back against a tree w/o any problems. I just can't always work outside (which is what I'd prefer to be honest), which sucks bc it always seems like it's raining or the weather is crappy when I want to do ritual outside.

_______
I use one I made... heavy canvas, 16 x 16 inches, filled with white beans till it is about 3 inches thick. Nice thing about this, is you can wiggle into it, conforming it to a comfortable shape that fits you. Can't get it wet though, or you will have bean sprouts, lol.

#13 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:14 PM

_______
I use one I made... heavy canvas, 16 x 16 inches, filled with white beans till it is about 3 inches thick. Nice thing about this, is you can wiggle into it, conforming it to a comfortable shape that fits you. Can't get it wet though, or you will have bean sprouts, lol.

So is it square?

#14 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:30 PM

Thanx for the explanation, AM.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#15 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:41 AM

Screw the meditation mats, get a memory foam pillow! Your ass will be in heaven, and it should improve your posture, too.
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#16 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:23 AM

So is it square?

_________
It can be, or oblong. Make it to fit you, with enough to spare. When using it, put most of the beans to the back. Sit on the back and wiggle in, so that some of the beans come towards the front to form a slant with the lower end to the front. Your left and right hips should be at the same level (one not dipped down).

#17 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:23 AM

Thanx for the explanation, AM.

-----
You're welcome RR.

#18 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:24 AM

Screw the meditation mats, get a memory foam pillow! Your ass will be in heaven, and it should improve your posture, too.

----
LOL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: meditation, equipment, body support, product recommendations, help with meditation, ritual