33 replies to this topic

#21 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

Oh - and also check what you can send to other countries.... like or some strange reason you can't mail betel nuts to some countries. But it is worth listing your wares world-wide since it does up your sales quite a bit. Also, if your shop name is obviously witchy, and you're not using Etsy to buy your mailing labels then you might want to assure people the package will be unmarked and not say witchcraft supplies on it. And invest in a scale for mailing weight purposes. And have shop policies or most people won't buy. And it's good to add on the end that b y clicking on "buy" they are agreeing to your policies... make it legal and binding. and also put something in the item description to be sure to read your shop policies. And make your pics stunning and professional... if people can't relate to the pic they won't click on it. There are teams you can join on Etsy that can really help with that kind of stuff.

#22 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

edited

Edited by RoseRed, 12 July 2016 - 07:41 PM.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#23 Ogga

Ogga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

This is def something doable for me. I have things like dozens of iron railroad spikes, genuine horseshoes, tons of Sweet Gum Balls (aka "witch burs") Posted Image etc.

Yes. Stuff like that. :) Witch burs might be easy to get hold of for you...but for me its quite hard.
BTW what do you use it for? Protection and maybe curses feels right...but since its exotic for me
i have no knowledge...just gut feeling.

#24 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:55 PM

Yes. Stuff like that. :smile: Witch burs might be easy to get hold of for you...but for me its quite hard.
BTW what do you use it for? Protection and maybe curses feels right...but since its exotic for me
i have no knowledge...just gut feeling.

Your gut is right! Always listen/trust your gut! Yes, they're used in spells for protection, in witch bottles, curses, all kinds of things in those respective areas. And yes, I have two trees that spit them out on a regular basis, lol. I have a lot of trees in my yard for living in such a small space/area. 5 different kinds!

Edited by bewitchingredhead, 16 May 2015 - 10:55 PM.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#25 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:02 PM

Etsy search doesn't recognize punctuation but won't add a space... so you cant just put "spell,herb,witch,love,pink,candle" as it will come out all one long string of garbled nothingness. Also you have to have your search tags in both "tags" and in the title or it doesn't pull you up. That's one reason why so many titles on etsy make no sense... they're actually search words not item titles, lol.

Oh - and also check what you can send to other countries.... like or some strange reason you can't mail betel nuts to some countries. But it is worth listing your wares world-wide since it does up your sales quite a bit. Also, if your shop name is obviously witchy, and you're not using Etsy to buy your mailing labels then you might want to assure people the package will be unmarked and not say witchcraft supplies on it. And invest in a scale for mailing weight purposes. And have shop policies or most people won't buy. And it's good to add on the end that b y clicking on "buy" they are agreeing to your policies... make it legal and binding. and also put something in the item description to be sure to read your shop policies. And make your pics stunning and professional... if people can't relate to the pic they won't click on it. There are teams you can join on Etsy that can really help with that kind of stuff.

Ahhh, I see what you're saying. I planned on using their mailing labels bc it seems very convenient and not any more expensive. I've owned two scales for quite some time since I work w/a lot of herbs. Sometimes measuring cups don't cut it for certain things. Def ahead of the game w/the pictures! No crappy iPhone pics for my site, lol. Pictures can really make or break a deal. Thank you so much for all your helpful advice.

ETA- I know what you mean about other countries. I've ordered several things from other countries and there's no way I can know every single thing that won't clear customs for every country, but I do know many of the major countries w/whom I've done business from time to time (like the UK, Germany, Canada and few others) rules regarding the items I plan to sell.

Edited by bewitchingredhead, 16 May 2015 - 11:12 PM.

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#26 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:08 PM

Etsy doesn't require it. They don't care if you fuck up your taxes as long as they get their cut.

I had a small crochet design business. I had to go to the county to register working out of my house. I was zoned for agriculture. I still had to pay for the license to run a business out of my house. Florida didn't collect sales tax on digital items. They were looking to change that. I have no idea what it is in the state you live in. I did a Sole Proprietorship. I didn't need a whole lot of liability insurance (none because no customers came to the house) and it was filed with my personal taxes.

The first couple years I had AWESOME tax write off for using the house as a home based business, i made enough money to keep myself in nice yarn and it was a way to focus my energy while recuperating from the car accident and back surgery. Then the tax laws changed on a fed level that you cannot claim more than your gross income. (Then I moved away and got divorced).

We're about to start my Beloved's business so I have to do all of this, too. Our states have VERY different structures. I already talked to a local accountant about it so I can't offer any advice there. But seriously, call you accountant and ask about these things.

The government is coming down REALLY hard on home grown herbal medicine suppliers - they don't care how small. There's a lot of people getting out of the business. If FL I would've had to show proof of renting a commercial kitchen to prepare it in and it had to be labeled 'not for human consumption'. The only thing they allowed you to make outside of a kitchen was varius salsas and jelly's.

There's a lot to look into. It's a dangerous time to do this. Some people don't care and have no idea of how severe the consequences can be. I know that you do. The last think you want is a state or fed charge of practicing medicine without a license. Way the pros and cons and educate yourself thoroughly before you decide to make a few bucks on Etsy. You may decide to take it in a different direction or you may decide that the hoops are worth jumping through - the important part is knowing what those hoops are.

Thank you for all of this RR! It's a lot to consider but all very helpful and necessary. I'll check w/my mentor tomorrow at her shop and ask her about the tinctures, teas, soaps, etc. that she sells that are home made. She makes the teas and she purchases the tinctures and soaps from a local (well state locally anyway, as I think she's in the mountains) vendor, so hopefully she'd know. She's been in business here for 15 yrs I think. Side note- I wish I would have found her 15yrs ago, *sigh*.
​I plan on using Etsy as a platform for an online store

#27 Ogga

Ogga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:16 PM

Your gut is right! Always listen/trust your gut! Yes, they're used in spells for protection, in witch bottles, curses, all kinds of things in those respective areas. And yes, I have two trees that spit them out on a regular basis, lol. I have a lot of trees in my yard for living in such a small space/area. 5 different kinds!

Nice! Thanx for the information :)

#28 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:29 PM

Go you.

Can I get some specifics about the sweet gun balls. Used for protection is rather vague. How? what the hell do you actually do with it and why?

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#29 Marrena

Marrena

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:31 PM

Here's an example of language:

http://www.jcrowsmar...esshipping.aspx

Saying something is a "talisman" both has a nice magical ring to it and is safe for FDA purposes.

By the way, I don't take Lugol's internally, only topically--much safer that way.

#30 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:40 AM

So I FINALLY "opened" you guys! Right now I'm on IG and FB!!  :happydance: 

https://www.instagram.com/bewitchingenchantments/

https://www.facebook.com/bewitchingenchantments/

I haven't decided which medium/platform to use for a store yet. I think I'm going to list a few things on Etsy, maybe try Shopify or even Square's platform (since I have/use square for payments) until I get my full website done. I own the domain name and am probably going to have a friend's husband work on the website for me. 

Mostly I have candles, soaps, jewelry, salves/ointments, herbal smoking blend, and tinctures at the moment posted. I also have a lip balm, condition oils, mojo bags, incense, fixed candles, perfumes, loose herbs, seeds, more tinctures, teas, and all kind of other odd and ends for spell crafting, but just don't have listed yet. Some things I probably won't be able to sell on certain platforms, but if there's anything you might be interested in email me at bewitchingenchantments@gmail.com ~

#31 KnellDragon

KnellDragon

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:22 AM

This is brilliant news! I'll be sure to check it out, especially for jellewery. Hopefully you open on etsy, that's my go to at the minute :D
Let me know!

#32 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:59 PM

Awesome. I'm going to make an Instagram account, so I can view it on both platforms.:)
From what I see so far it looks lovely. I'll try something for sure. Probably a tincture. :)

You can get money for gum balls ?! We have so many gum trees they overwhelm the woods. Woo-hoo!, I'm rich!:). I'd use them similarly to how one might use large thorns from hawthorn or blackthorn, but with more of a "and now your stuck" feel- but that's just me. It never occurred to me that these annoying little buggers could be a rarity in other locations- :). One man's trash and all that:).

Edited by Oroboros, 04 July 2016 - 04:06 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#33 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:58 AM

This is brilliant news! I'll be sure to check it out, especially for jellewery. Hopefully you open on etsy, that's my go to at the minute :D
Let me know!

I'm def going to list a few things on Etsy, bc what can it hurt? I'll post the link in a couple of days when I finally manage to list a few things. :)

Awesome. I'm going to make an Instagram account, so I can view it on both platforms. :)
From what I see so far it looks lovely. I'll try something for sure. Probably a tincture. :)

You can get money for gum balls ?! We have so many gum trees they overwhelm the woods. Woo-hoo!, I'm rich! :). I'd use them similarly to how one might use large thorns from hawthorn or blackthorn, but with more of a "and now your stuck" feel- but that's just me. It never occurred to me that these annoying little buggers could be a rarity in other locations- :). One man's trash and all that:).

Yes, exactly; they aren't available to everyone bc the trees aren't common/native to many states. They're not worth a whole bunch of money- at least if I were to sell them for example, I'd sell many of them for a couple of bucks, vs. just one or two of them. 

Thanks for having a look! You don't actually have to have an IG account to view the IG pics. You can also view them from your computer, not just your phone. I like that bc it's easier to see the larger pics on the computer. Just click the link for my IG and it will take you right to it, even if you don't have an account. :)

#34 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:38 AM

Yeah, I was just thinking the other day about the leatherized toads that are flattened as road kill everywhere after a big rain here and if that might be something people would want to buy.

My only concern would be that some states have very strict regulations on the "import/export" of plant and animal matter so even those prickly balls (which we don't have here) could be problematic as they could be carrying pests/fungus, etc which may not affect anything in your area where they originate but could wreak havoc on the ecosystem of another area where they're not native... Just something to keep in mind (since I know irradiating things to make them "sterile" kind of defeats the purpose for magick since they're not just for looking at)

Edited by IslandBruja, 05 October 2016 - 07:39 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: store, online shopping, items, witchcraft, herbs, potions, tools, online store