• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:22 PM

Ok so I have to admit Ravenshaw gave me this idea when she posted something to this effect in one of her updates. I'm opening an Etsy store (likely by the weekend's end) and already have several items lined up and wanted to get thoughts on them from fellow witches. Is there anything you'd be particularly interested in seeing/buying?

Tinctures (for either medicinal and/or magical use depending on what/how you plan to use it) :wink: so far that list includes: Mugwort, Wormwood, Lotus Leaf, Wild Lettuce, Passionflower, Hops, Skullcap, Kava, and Damiana (It will include more as I continue to add newer ones). Suggestions?

Herbal Teas- In addition to their specific herbal properties, these are "spelled" during the full moon w/the desired intent. Love Potion, One for sleep, one for dreaming, two different ones for relaxation, one for psychic enhancement/mental clarity, one for allergies and overall health, one for women prior/during their cycle, and a couple of other ones.

Condition oils: Money drawing oil, Fast luck oil, and Fast Money oil (all traditional Hoodoo formulas). Mojo bags w/everything included and instructions on how to "fix" them.

Dream pillows (They work! I had to remove mine one time bc my husband was having several dreams a night and he felt it was interrupting his sleep, lol).

Incense- Resin based and herbal based ones. Because I have a lot of herbs on hand, I can take special requests for certain mixes.

Loose herbs- For someone who wants a couple of herbs in a smaller amount, but doesn't have access to them and/or don't want to buy them in bulk.

I'm working on salves- I started one for swelling, bruising, healing and muscle pain for my husband and we'll see how it turns out.

Chakra Sprays

Wands- I have several wooden ones I made w/copper and silver wiring intertwined, runes and/or symbols burned into them and certain crystals attached to one end.

​A couple of pieces of jewelry- not a large assortment, just a few different earrings and a necklace w/specific crystals/stones attached and/or possibly herbs (for the necklace).

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#2 Barsa

Barsa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:35 PM

sounds good. i myself would be more interested in the magical supplies. I'd rather buy mugwort, wormwood, and etc from a fellow witch than through Frontier, which is where I currently get it wholesale for this store.
"Sweet are the uses of adversity, which, like the toad, ugly and venomous, wears yet a precious jewel in his head;
And this our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in every thing."

#3 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:06 PM

Do not list anything (tincture, salve, etc.) as having a medicinal use! The FDA is coming down hard on small manufacturers - several of my friends have given up rather than put up with all their BS. If you decide to do soaps, etc., don't bother with that, either. Same reason.

In addition, sell a "simple" rather than a tincture. Believe it or not, the FDA regulates that word!

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#4 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:24 PM

Wow- that's interesting and good to know, MW! Thank you

M

#5 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:25 PM

Do not list anything (tincture, salve, etc.) as having a medicinal use! The FDA is coming down hard on small manufacturers - several of my friends have given up rather than put up with all their BS. If you decide to do soaps, etc., don't bother with that, either. Same reason.

In addition, sell a "simple" rather than a tincture. Believe it or not, the FDA regulates that word!

Wow I'm so glad I decided to start this thread! Thank you MW!! I have no desire to deal w/the FDA's fuckery! So call it a "simple" instead of a tincture? Like literally "a Simple of Mugwort"? I'll list everything for magical purposes only then from what it sounds like?

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#6 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:28 PM

sounds good. i myself would be more interested in the magical supplies. I'd rather buy mugwort, wormwood, and etc from a fellow witch than through Frontier, which is where I currently get it wholesale for this store.

Like which ones? Just the herbs and/or herbal teas, incense, etc?

#7 Barsa

Barsa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:41 PM

yeah I guess teas and salves, sorry i'm being very vague lol. like... if you were to make a "helps you astral" tea, or a "spirit salve" to aid in seeing spirits, I would totally buy that.
"Sweet are the uses of adversity, which, like the toad, ugly and venomous, wears yet a precious jewel in his head;
And this our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in every thing."

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:52 PM

If you're going to list magical properties, I'd list them as "some people/cultures/whatever believe that mugwort can be used magically for..." so you're not stating "facts" that legally are not proven facts. And if you're listing medicinal properties, I'd state that you don't have a medical degree and to please check with the appropriate professional prior to beginning any herbal remedy, and to check with your doctor that any medications you are currently taking are not contraindicated, etc. So if someone on Prozac downs half a pound of St. John's Wort tea, you will at least have a disclaimer, lol..

M

#9 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:18 AM

Wow I'm so glad I decided to start this thread! Thank you MW!! I have no desire to deal w/the FDA's fuckery! So call it a "simple" instead of a tincture? Like literally "a Simple of Mugwort"? I'll list everything for magical purposes only then from what it sounds like?

Yup and yup.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#10 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:20 AM

yeah I guess teas and salves, sorry i'm being very vague lol. like... if you were to make a "helps you astral" tea, or a "spirit salve" to aid in seeing spirits, I would totally buy that.

It's no problem! Thank you!! Yes, that's where the names come in! ;) I do have some specific herb combos for lucid dreaming, astral travel, etc. At least ones I can attest to personally (or through a trusted personal fellow witch, my hubby, etc. who've used it-whatever "it" may be- that can attest to its efficacy).

If you're going to list magical properties, I'd list them as "some people/cultures/whatever believe that mugwort can be used magically for..." so you're not stating "facts" that legally are not proven facts. And if you're listing medicinal properties, I'd state that you don't have a medical degree and to please check with the appropriate professional prior to beginning any herbal remedy, and to check with your doctor that any medications you are currently taking are not contraindicated, etc. So if someone on Prozac downs half a pound of St. John's Wort tea, you will at least have a disclaimer, lol..

M

Totally bc I don't want to assume liability for those types of contradictions and/or possible side effects, although I do know from an informational perspective what most of the herbs I use and/or will sell, can contradict and/or interact with medicinally. I'm just not sure to what extent I listed that info personally. Perhaps provide reputable links for further info?

#11 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:57 AM

Well you can list your Tinctures as Potions or Condensers; for Herbal Tinctures as such it is better you list them for External Use Only to avoid any complications as home made herbal tincture it is hard to control the herbal concentration so it might not be suitable for masses consumption. Can you share some Magical Tea Blend Formulas? I love Lady's Choice Brand Herbal Tea Blend like Magus Tea, Breathe Easy Tea etc. I also have a suggestion perhaps you can do some Ritual Smoking Blend too. :smile:

"Some People Have A Gift For Stupidity, An Almost Mystic Ability To Withstand Any Form Of Logic"

output_dLSIE3.gif

#12 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

And don't forget that Etsy's considered a legitimate business. To do it officially, you need to collect sales tax for your own state, register your business name with the state, sole proprietorship and all that. They're not real big on making that obvious. Anything over $400 year is no longer considered a 'hobby'. If you go the hobby route you can't deduct supplies.

Paypal reports to the IRS now. They're still trying to catch up.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#13 Ogga

Ogga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:55 PM

Many good suggestions.

i would also love to be able to by wood from trees struck by lightning, somewhere.
Sometimes just few splinters would be enough.

The things I am most keen to buy from that kid of shops is the raw material for making
your own artifacts. Like say...raw materials for wands, blackthorn spikes for witch bottles
to name two examples.

If I buy something pre-made...its often crude looking things...

#14 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:37 PM

Many good suggestions.

i would also love to be able to by wood from trees struck by lightning, somewhere.
Sometimes just few splinters would be enough.

The things I am most keen to buy from that kid of shops is the raw material for making
your own artifacts. Like say...raw materials for wands, blackthorn spikes for witch bottles
to name two examples.

If I buy something pre-made...its often crude looking things...

This is def something doable for me. I have things like dozens of iron railroad spikes, genuine horseshoes, tons of Sweet Gum Balls (aka "witch burs") Posted Image etc.

#15 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

And don't forget that Etsy's considered a legitimate business. To do it officially, you need to collect sales tax for your own state, register your business name with the state, sole proprietorship and all that. They're not real big on making that obvious. Anything over $400 year is no longer considered a 'hobby'. If you go the hobby route you can't deduct supplies.

Paypal reports to the IRS now. They're still trying to catch up.

Thank you RR! I'm going to do an inventory this weekend, makes labels and such and the hubby's going to do a spreadsheet for me, chart my expenses and profit, see which items have the most profit margins, etc. You think I should wait until it earns over $400 before I register it?

#16 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:18 PM

BWR, your state laws may be different but ...

Generally you need to "register" a business (either an "official" business as in a corporation or partnership or LLC or something) or register as a "doing business as" before you can get a sales tax number. And if Etsy requires that you collect sales tax on any in-state sales, you'll need to do that. Check out your state's department of revenue to see what they require to get a sales tax number. (This will also allow you to buy wholesale if you need to.)

~ Henri Frederic Amiel

#17 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:02 PM

Do not list anything (tincture, salve, etc.) as having a medicinal use! The FDA is coming down hard on small manufacturers - several of my friends have given up rather than put up with all their BS. If you decide to do soaps, etc., don't bother with that, either. Same reason.In addition, sell a "simple" rather than a tincture. Believe it or not, the FDA regulates that word!

Thanks, MW! That's really good to know about the "tincture" label. I knew about the "medicinal use". Oh and BW, the magical items need to have the disclaimer "for entertainment purposes only", I believe.

BW, how about hand stitched tarot bags & cloths for reading?

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#18 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:08 PM

On Etsy you need to be sure and learn their search engine as it has a different way of working than the google engine. Also, list at least 60 to 100 things if you want to get found. There's 29 pages that come up under the search "witchcraft supplies" and 231 pages of shops selling "love spells." Look at all the shops that sell the same type of stuff that you do, then find the 5 that have the most sales. Click on their sales and see what people buy from them the most.... then find your niche with something in that area but different enough so that you're the only store selling it. Also take a real good look at their product "titles" as it will tell you what their search tags are.

This is a link for "Etsy sellers taxes 101" https://www.etsy.com...ers/22721885775

To keep your taxes down you can write off some things as business expenses.... the computer you had to buy to be able to open an online store, the room in your house dedicated to making your wares (that one may flag you or an audit, lol so make sure you are on the up and up about it), printer ink, wrapping, bubble-wrap envelopes, tape, etc.

M

#19 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:18 AM

BWR, your state laws may be different but ...

Generally you need to "register" a business (either an "official" business as in a corporation or partnership or LLC or something) or register as a "doing business as" before you can get a sales tax number. And if Etsy requires that you collect sales tax on any in-state sales, you'll need to do that. Check out your state's department of revenue to see what they require to get a sales tax number. (This will also allow you to buy wholesale if you need to.)

Yeah my little brother owns his own business/businesses and I believe he's done this (registered w/the state, etc.) bc he used to do Ebay back in the day and I know he's done business w/Amazon as a vender, booths at local flea markets and an assortment of other things. He's just not phenomenal at keeping great records, mostly bc he gets lazy. He's actually brilliant w/numbers and is getting his business degree, but he likes to take a lot more risks than I'm willing to and he's horrible at keeping his money bc he likes to blow it. I'm totally the opposite. He's the kind that can wake up one morning and decide to jump into a new business adventure w/o a ton of thought and/or planning. It's crazy to me bc he's actually done really well in some of his ventures, but bc tends to be a bit lazy and is a lot more willing to take risks w/money, it tends to ebb and flow from one extreme to another; whereas I'm more interested in steadily building towards one particular thing. I've been gradually making things and building an inventory, but nothing in which I'd some huge loss on if it didn't sell as well as I'd like.

Thanks, MW! That's really good to know about the "tincture" label. I knew about the "medicinal use". Oh and BW, the magical items need to have the disclaimer "for entertainment purposes only", I believe.

BW, how about hand stitched tarot bags & cloths for reading?

Oh I'm def putting a disclaimer on those; more than one most likely.
Gah, I'd love to w/the tarot bags but I'm not a phenomenal seamstress. :sad: I've made my own bags for divination and other tools (out of some really beautiful silks), but that's bc the inside stitching doesn't have to be pretty! They're mostly hand sewn bc the sewing machine I have was given to me and aside from being old, it's a bit temperamental. I made some very basic pillow cases out of muslin last year for some dream pillows that I sold at our Summer Solstice and they did very well considering it was very last minute, but they look rather crude to me comparatively. I might have a friend of mine who owns her own business making practice wear for competitive cheerleading sew a set of nicer cases for me that can allow for easy replacement for the herbal pillows I make out of muslin (or will probably use those small muslin bags that are already pre-sewn), since the herbs in dream pillows need to be replaced after a certain amount of time (and since they'd be really easy for her to sew and not very time consuming given her expertise).

On Etsy you need to be sure and learn their search engine as it has a different way of working than the google engine. Also, list at least 60 to 100 things if you want to get found. There's 29 pages that come up under the search "witchcraft supplies" and 231 pages of shops selling "love spells." Look at all the shops that sell the same type of stuff that you do, then find the 5 that have the most sales. Click on their sales and see what people buy from them the most.... then find your niche with something in that area but different enough so that you're the only store selling it. Also take a real good look at their product "titles" as it will tell you what their search tags are.

This is a link for "Etsy sellers taxes 101" https://www.etsy.com...ers/22721885775

To keep your taxes down you can write off some things as business expenses.... the computer you had to buy to be able to open an online store, the room in your house dedicated to making your wares (that one may flag you or an audit, lol so make sure you are on the up and up about it), printer ink, wrapping, bubble-wrap envelopes, tape, etc.

M

Thank you so much Michele!! I read quite a few Etsy articles from their site (about 6 months ago or more) when I first decided I'd like to open a store there. It had a lot of good info (like naming your store, etc.), but I don't remember reading one about taxes (although I still have a ton of articles of advice from there website bookmarked lol). However, I know since then they've gone public and I'm sure that's caused a change in a few areas since then.

That's a very good suggestion Michele. I'll make sure to keep track of all my expenses and save all of my receipts for not only obvious supplies, but things like packaging supplies, printer ink, printer paper for labels, etc.

You mentioned something about how their search function is different- I think it's bc can pay to promote your items (each one individually if I recall correctly) so they'll pull up first when searched? That's a decision I'll have to make that carries a bit more risk to me. I do plan on a couple of things like including free sample of certain things (like the teas/brews as an example) w/purchase and perhaps even a free item from a pre-selected set of items w/purchase, etc.

​Thank you all for all the wonderful advice, suggestions and ideas! Do keep them coming please! :smile: I appreciate them all.

#20 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:55 PM

Etsy search doesn't recognize punctuation but won't add a space... so you cant just put "spell,herb,witch,love,pink,candle" as it will come out all one long string of garbled nothingness. Also you have to have your search tags in both "tags" and in the title or it doesn't pull you up. That's one reason why so many titles on etsy make no sense... they're actually search words not item titles, lol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: store, online shopping, items, witchcraft, herbs, potions, tools, online store