Photo
- - - - -

Artist Depiction of Angelina Jolie as Virgin Mary, What do you think?

ART Virgin Mary Angelina Jolie

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:30 AM

Posted Image

Kate Kretz, Angelina Jolie. © Chelsea Galleria, Kate Kretz 2006

In 2006, Kate Kretz created a painting of actress Angelina Jolie as the Virgin Mary hovering over a Wal-Mart check-out line. The Title "Blessed Art Thou”, a painting done using acrylic and oil on linen - depicts an angelic Jolie in the clouds, holding her newborn daughter Shiloh with children Maddox and Zahara at her legs. Below them is a checkout line at Wal-Mart, where women wait in line.

The painting is for sale during that time through Chelsea Galleria in Miami, which represents Kretz. This Art work has garnered a lot of attention when it was shown at Art Miami 2007.

Personally, I do not feel depicting her as Virgin Mary is appropriate moreover in reality her adoption of children; her true agenda is seriously of doubt. Expression of her disposition as high above the masses seems very inappropriate too; it is in a way kind of demeaning in my perspective. The only element in this piece which in reality befitting is the Wal-Mart scenario where most folks go to buy grocery, her interpretation of regular American folks are of plus sizes has some truth in reality but nothing wrong with that.

What do you think of this piece? What is the message behind this? Do you like it? Feel free to share your views?

Edited by OCEANOS, 13 May 2015 - 05:31 AM.

"Some People Have A Gift For Stupidity, An Almost Mystic Ability To Withstand Any Form Of Logic"

output_dLSIE3.gif

#2 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:27 AM

I'm wondering why you didn't post this in the art section, what it has to do w/witchcraft, and curious to why you judge someone who's helped a lot of people and/or why it matters?

As far as the painting itself- I'm not fond of it tbh. I googled the artists name and I don't see anything particularly special about it. I've seen much more interesting and beautiful artwork from members on this forum. JMO.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#3 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:44 AM

I'm wondering why you didn't post this in the art section, what it has to do w/witchcraft, and curious to why you judge someone who's helped a lot of people and/or why it matters?

As far as the painting itself- I'm not fond of it tbh. I googled the artists name and I don't see anything particularly special about it. I've seen much more interesting and beautiful artwork from members on this forum. JMO.

I thought this section for Chit Chat is more appropriate; Art Section is designated to share your own art. This just for general sharing and discussion which I find it interesting. It does not matter as I am just sharing my own perspective of this Art Work on the whole and my own intepretation of it. It is not meant to judge anyone but I would love to see other's perspective of it.

"Some People Have A Gift For Stupidity, An Almost Mystic Ability To Withstand Any Form Of Logic"

output_dLSIE3.gif

#4 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:12 AM

Gotcha. Just wondering what your personal perspective and/or thought process is regarding it (in a bit more detail I suppose)?
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#5 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:33 AM

Gotcha. Just wondering what your personal perspective and/or thought process is regarding it (in a bit more detail I suppose)?

The way the Artist depicts in her painting of her subject like Angelina as Virgin Mary and Wal-Mart that is how I derived my own interpretation of what she is expressing; implying through this art. Using celebrity as subject is very common in general so is her art technique which I feel I do not have the authority to comment on it technically as I am not a professional Artist. Her depiction of Angelina as Virgin Mary also led me to wonder what is her agenda in doing so? Is it to create controversy or attract attention? With her adopted children as part of the element in this art, what does it represent? If by adopting children can immortalized her, then many others can be Virgin Mary too. Floating above Wal-Mart does that mean Angelina disposition is way higher than any rightful thinking member of the society? What makes her more superior comparatively to the masses? Is it her profession, her monetary assets or what? Her expression of Wal-Mart. What is the message behind this Art? B)

output_dLSIE3.gif

#6 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:14 AM

You don't have to be an actual artist to comment on someone's technique. There are people who major in Art History that can't produce a single lick of actual artwork, ya know?

That would be like me saying I feel like I have no "authority" to comment on a singer and/or songwriter just bc I'm not a professional singer (or even a singer) or songwriter. I know music and I can tell if someone is out of tune, but even that artistic medium is highly subjective. It's the same w/this painting.What one finds beautiful another finds horrible, etc. It's the same w/any type of art really. Some is meant is elicit deep emotion and/or feeling, while others are merely for "fun" (using music here as an example). Not all of it has a deep meaning. Some is just meant to make money and/or increase fame.

#7 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:29 AM

I come from a family of artists, some with no natural born talent. It's not hard for me to recognise the 'it' factor and lack of it. So... yes, this person doesn't have a natural born talent. I don't mention this as if it's a negative thing- they've probably had to work harder than those who have it in order to get to the level you see in this piece and that's admirable- it's just one of the things I first notice. There are a few errors- most notably the clouds. They are weirdly out of place considering the style and it looks like Jolie is meant to be hovering rather than resting on the clouds but as there is no shadow this can't be the intention.

The piece isn't my cup of tea, though it's not unattractive. I think the piece is meant to have some sort of "deep" message to it. Probably something about how wealth and celebrity can help you hold on to your youth and beauty, how it's easier for you to afford to be charitable, and it's easier for you to recieve recognition for your actions. Whereas the poor people who have to line up to purchase their daily essentials can hardly be berated for not being able to rise to the same standards. Mostly, like most celebrity pieces by artists, I think it was meant to generate attention for her work. Sometimes a hungry artist needs to eat!

Edited by Pikkusisko, 13 May 2015 - 11:39 AM.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#8 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

You don't have to be an actual artist to comment on someone's technique. There are people who major in Art History that can't produce a single lick of actual artwork, ya know?

That would be like me saying I feel like I have no "authority" to comment on a singer and/or songwriter just bc I'm not a professional singer (or even a singer) or songwriter. I know music and I can tell if someone is out of tune, but even that artistic medium is highly subjective. It's the same w/this painting.What one finds beautiful another finds horrible, etc. It's the same w/any type of art really. Some is meant is elicit deep emotion and/or feeling, while others are merely for "fun" (using music here as an example). Not all of it has a deep meaning. Some is just meant to make money and/or increase fame.

Yes indeed. You are not a singer doesn't mean you don't appreciate music; not a chef doesn't mean you cannot tell what is good food. Like recent year, Pop Art seems to gain alot of popularity however I do not see them much of a worthy investment comparatively to Fine Arts because they will never appreciate in value even with time.

I come from a family of artists, some with no natural born talent. It's not hard for me to recognise the 'it' factor and lack of it. So... yes, this person doesn't have a natural born talent. I don't mention this as if it's a negative thing- they've probably had to work harder than those who have it in order to get to the level you see in this piece and that's admirable- it's just one of the things I first notice. There are a few errors- most notably the clouds. They are weirdly out of place considering the style and it looks like Jolie is meant to be hovering rather than resting on the clouds but as there is no shadow this can't be the intention.

The piece isn't my cup of tea, though it's not unattractive. I think the piece is meant to have some sort of "deep" message to it. Probably something about how wealth and celebrity can help you hold on to your youth and beauty, how it's easier for you to afford to be charitable, and it's easier for you to recieve recognition for your actions. Whereas the poor people who have to line up to purchase their daily essentials can hardly be berated for not being able to rise to the same standards. Mostly, like most celebrity pieces by artists, I think it was meant to generate attention for her work. Sometimes a hungry artist needs to eat!

Very true especially your statement "Sometimes a hungry artist needs to eat!", I love it. :biggrin:

output_dLSIE3.gif

#9 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:44 PM

I think it is commentary on how celebrities are elevated to sainthood by common people.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#10 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:40 PM

I agree with Wexler. I find it disgusting how Americans worship celebrities and sports icons. There are plenty of more important things in the world than gossiping about people who don't make any damn difference in my life.
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#11 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:50 PM

Walmart shoppers we have a blue light special on baby adoptions on isle 3, hurry while they last limited quantity available! Get them while they last!

#12 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

Walmart shoppers we have a blue light special on baby adoptions on isle 3, hurry while they last limited quantity available! Get them while they last!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#13 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:13 PM

This painting just makes me want to punch Angelina Jolie in the teeth.

I believe, like Wex stated, that it is supposed to start a commentary on how the common American elevates celebs to sainthood, while we endure the horse shit that is our everyday existence: being overweight and buying useless bullshit at WalMart.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#14 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

This painting just makes me want to punch Angelina Jolie in the teeth.

I believe, like Wex stated, that it is supposed to start a commentary on how the common American elevates celebs to sainthood, while we endure the horse shit that is our everyday existence: being overweight and buying useless bullshit at WalMart.

Personally I think it's more than that. Figure the four women in Walmart are either over weight, aged or both. Yet the fat producing drink cabinet is the most visible item in the foreground along with the candy rack and the McDonald's sign is fairly centered above it in the background. Seem's to suggest or direct your attention to that while comparing and contrasting it to the physical fitness and adoration that the upper symbol is getting.

Edited by monsnoleedra, 13 May 2015 - 09:57 PM.

#15 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

Not to mention the tabloid magazines right next to them. I'm having a hard time making out the "For Dummies" book. What does that say, "Cash Investments for Dummies"? I'm surprised Coke hasn't contested use of their logo. I noticed that "Wal-Mart" is not actually super clear. I see "Mart" easily, but there's a part (T.V. Monitor I assume) covering "Wal", and the McDonald's isn't clear enough on the golden arches, but that could just be my eyesight. I expanded the picture and it becomes blurrier, not more clear.

#16 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:03 PM

It's like you could also add the almost translucent American Flag beneath the clouds as trying to ascribe some sort of divine aspect which serves to move her away from the Virgin Mary motif and carry her more towards the Imagery of Divine America and the occasional Greek styled representation of the Statue of Liberty and Glory aspect. Loosely playing upon the old send me your tired, your weak, your poor as she embraces the child of promise and the cherubs that cling to her or hold her up. Raising Angelina to the I shall unite them all regardless of race as you have the Caucasian child in her arms, what appears to be an African Cherub to the right and a Hispanic looking cherub to the left. Which sort of ties back to the Statue of Liberty imagery and Glory aspect.

#17 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:15 PM

I think it's a great marketing piece and will get the artist a lot of attention (and there is no such thing as negative attention in the art business, controversial or otherwise).

#18 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:32 PM

It's like you could also add the almost translucent American Flag beneath the clouds as trying to ascribe some sort of divine aspect which serves to move her away from the Virgin Mary motif and carry her more towards the Imagery of Divine America and the occasional Greek styled representation of the Statue of Liberty and Glory aspect. Loosely playing upon the old send me your tired, your weak, your poor as she embraces the child of promise and the cherubs that cling to her or hold her up. Raising Angelina to the I shall unite them all regardless of race as you have the Caucasian child in her arms, what appears to be an African Cherub to the right and a Hispanic looking cherub to the left. Which sort of ties back to the Statue of Liberty imagery and Glory aspect.

The one on the right is Ethiopian and the one on the left is Cambodian.

#19 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:02 AM

We should use Michael Jackson "We Are the World" song as background music then. :tongue:

output_dLSIE3.gif

#20 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:08 AM

Do you think Spiritual Aid contributed to Angelina Jolie sudden rise to Stardom and made her outshine all that are close to her? B)

output_dLSIE3.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ART, Virgin Mary, Angelina Jolie