Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If anything, just buy another cutting board and start over. All that blood could be bad news bears, like Mons suggests.

Do you believe they work first and foremost?

I think that they work... perhaps better than other fascimilies because ouija is established and old and "whomever" may be lurking... wanting to come through (and that's not always who you call unfortunately), can recognise the channel for what it is.

I've heard the "horror" stories (so to speak) about them. Do you think the Ouija board is a potentially harmful/negative way to do divination?

Fine but tricky because of the afore mentioned risk;from where does the info come?

Do you believe the spirits who communicate through them are legit (like typical ghosts I suppose is what I mean in this situation) or do you believe they're more "mischievous" and/or even malevolent entities who trick you?

Anything can be there and they can stay... and masquerade... so "focused, power and specific protection "is required.. IMO of course

Do you think special precautions are necessary when interacting with/using one? I've read the owner of this website's info regarding the use of them and was wondering if that's the general consensus on the matter (like don't use them by yourself, make sure you say goodbye to the spirit and that it says goodbye to you, candles, incense, etc)?

All good advice

If using one for divination purposes how reliable to the think the info is?

The info is not coming from you it's coming from a specific entity could have (their, its) own agenda.

​Does anyone have any personal experiences/stories they are willing to share either here or via pm?

NO way in hell would I take a cutting board that is sure to have had blood leeched into the wood and try to make it a spirit board. That falls right into that offering of blood as an enticement for something to come through the board. That not even considering what type of blood it is ie fowl, red meat, white meat, fish, etc and all the lovely little things that are called / summoned with various types of blood. Just imagine I'm willing to bet even a small sampling of human blood, potentially your very mother's blood at that. Makes a real nice venue to use in possession or riding situations Wex.

...Good point, M. Thank you for saving me what was sure to be some trouble.

So was it ever used? Because I'd be very curious to know if weird things happened to your mother using it after you tossed it!

I think I used it once but nothing came of it.

Guest monsnoleedra

Wex, hopefully this is not going into taboo territory but did you happen to use the blood board before the bobcat skull issue came about?

On another front while I myself would not use one I do know that blood boards can be used in the capacity to work with some demonic type entities as a summoning board type thing. Not my forte so don't have a lot of knowledge on that aspect so can't even say how the board is inscribed or decorated.

Wex, hopefully this is not going into taboo territory but did you happen to use the blood board before the bobcat skull issue came about?

On another front while I myself would not use one I do know that blood boards can be used in the capacity to work with some demonic type entities as a summoning board type thing. Not my forte so don't have a lot of knowledge on that aspect so can't even say how the board is inscribed or decorated.

I prefer not to speak too much on it publicly but I do not remember any sort of blood used on this board, and I created and discarded it well before that event.

Guest monsnoleedra

I prefer not to speak too much on it publicly but I do not remember any sort of blood used on this board, and I created and discarded it well before that event.

Not a problem that's why I asked about it being taboo. Included the one aspect to let you know what I was looking at it against.

I think that the danger of using mass-made spirit boards is that you will contact bored, earthzone, and often, trickster spirits.

If you are a witch, make your own, ward it, and call on spirits known to you, instead of using the ouija.

I second this. They absolutely work, but in my experience not in the way you would expect or want.

My experience with them was as a 14 year old, a friend of mine had recently passed (suicide), so I did what any baby witchling would do and went and got a ouija board. I wanted answers about why she did it, and to help her find some kind of peace after a death like that. That is NOT what happened, in fact, at first it seemed like nothing at all happened. We tried (a friend of mine and myself) on a few different occations. My deceased friend never came through, but something else did. "NO NO NO" and the planchete flying off the board was enough to scare the crap out of the unprepared 14 year old me (even though at the time we just both laughed it off and blamed each other, like it didnt really happen), but even scarier was waking up in the night to a black misty mass above my bed. I covered myself thinking I was hallucinating, but somehow I could see it through the blanket, it was just that black, like it bled through. A few nights later, I woke up to my room on fire because my lamp MELTED into the floor and my room was full of black smoke. I barely woke up and was sooooo groggy I couldnt think, and when i did i thought I was dreaming and went to get a drink because my throat hurt from breathing. When I went back, fire. My room caught fire a second time after that. I dont even know. It was not a good time. There were short chubby shadows that crept along the walls at night, shaped sort of like russian nesting dolls or peanuts or something, only bigger. THey didnt seem menacing but it still scared the shit out of me because I knew they werent supposed to be there, and the animals in the house were aware that "something" was askew. They would suddenly bolt from the hall by my room into the kitchen, where they could peek out from around the corner of the cupboards, hackles up. Eventually it stopped, but it took a long ordeal that effected me for years (The fires were blamed on me even though I was asleep the first time and not home the second time, and everyone thought I was mentally ill).

I dont think that is necessarily a typical experience, Im just saying you cant always predict what you will end up talking to or dealing with. I had a hard time gettting rid of that board, which is its own story. So yeah, I would reccomend making your own and having all the precautions in place, set boundaries and limits and be ready for freaking anything. I had no idea what I was doing and paid for it. I have had absolutely no desire to use one again, or even to make my own since then and I still get goosebumps about it and the surrounding events. The reality of it was super unexpected, and the impact whatever it was, was able to have was not lost on me. Whopped me right upside the head and sent ripples through my life. I'll never be able to forget it. And Ill never be sure what/ who it was since I was 14 and so so unprepared and uneducated. I knew nothing and would just freeze in fear and denial, trying to ignore it away which I am pretty sure just fed the damn thing. All I can do is speculate on the time and circumstances, but have never come upon a satisfactory answer. Anyway, my tale of caution for anyone and everyone.

That still requires talent!! I have a good buddy who's an amazing artist. Crazy, wicked talented, IMO- and even though he paints, sketches, etc. w/a very diverse group of mediums, he's also an amazing graphic artist bc it's much easier to make a decent living with- although if he'd ever actually SELL his artwork he'd probably make a ton, lol. He has a hard time parting w/his work (despite having SO much of it) unless it's graphic art.

If you can make your own Ouija board and set of Tarot cards, I don't care if it's computer enhanced artwork or not, that's still talent! Actually I quite prefer the more modern, graphic art type of Tarot cards over the original. Granted I learned on the "original" (RWS deck), but it's not my favorite deck. I have a bad feeling I'll be a Tarot collector, lol! I connect to the images of the computer enhanced ones comparatively. I can't wait to see your finished product.

Dare I say it takes a lot of fucking patience to construct a personal deck as well?!

_________

Thanks bewitchingredhead! It has been quite the learning curve on both the Tarot Cards and the Spirit Board. About six months ago, I learned how to repair old photos and to do age regression on one of the photos to see what the person looked like at a younger age, but these two projects, I found the hardest, especially the SB...working with wood and measurements to get the image on correctly...I’m pleased with how it turned out.

I still have a few minor things to do with my Spirit Board, but thought I would post it today anyway. The Board measures 19 x 14 & 1/4 inches, and is near 3/4’s of an inch thick, and is made of solid Maple. I haven’t made the planchette yet, so what you see on the board is just a photocopy of the one I am in the process of making, but I wanted to include what it will look like...not sure if I will go with the runes on it, or a triquetra. The board (and planchette will be) is protected by special resins, runes, and is spelled. The wood I chose, along with the imagery, is I think, appropriate for a Spirit Board, ie. Maple is associated with the element of water and spirits, and is a wood that traditionally enhances communication. The Owl is able to see what is unseen and protects against deception. The Owl also represents wisdom, and is associated with departed souls, skeleton keys are able to open and to close things up, as well as having other meanings....

I’ve worked an Ouija Board in the past, and had good results with it, but I think that a board one made themself is better than a store bought one, especially the way they are made today.

That still requires talent!! I have a good buddy who's an amazing artist. Crazy, wicked talented, IMO- and even though he paints, sketches, etc. w/a very diverse group of mediums, he's also an amazing graphic artist bc it's much easier to make a decent living with- although if he'd ever actually SELL his artwork he'd probably make a ton, lol. He has a hard time parting w/his work (despite having SO much of it) unless it's graphic art.

If you can make your own Ouija board and set of Tarot cards, I don't care if it's computer enhanced artwork or not, that's still talent! Actually I quite prefer the more modern, graphic art type of Tarot cards over the original. Granted I learned on the "original" (RWS deck), but it's not my favorite deck. I have a bad feeling I'll be a Tarot collector, lol! I connect to the images of the computer enhanced ones comparatively. I can't wait to see your finished product.

Dare I say it takes a lot of fucking patience to construct a personal deck as well?!

_________

Thanks bewitchingredhead! It has been quite the learning curve on both the Tarot Cards and the Spirit Board. About six months ago, I learned how to repair old photos and to do age regression on one of the photos to see what the person looked like at a younger age, but these two projects, I found the hardest, especially the SB...working with wood and measurements to get the image on correctly...I’m pleased with how it turned out.

I still have a few minor things to do with my Spirit Board, but thought I would post it today anyway. The Board measures 19 x 14 & 1/4 inches, and is near 3/4’s of an inch thick, and is made of solid Maple. I haven’t made the planchette yet, so what you see on the board is just a photocopy of the one I am in the process of making, but I wanted to include what it will look like...not sure if I will go with the runes on it, or a triquetra. The board (and planchette will be) is protected by special resins, runes, and is spelled. The wood I chose, along with the imagery, is I think, appropriate for a Spirit Board, ie. Maple is associated with the element of water and spirits, and is a wood that traditionally enhances communication. The Owl is able to see what is unseen and protects against deception. The Owl also represents wisdom, and is associated with departed souls, skeleton keys are able to open and to close things up, as well as having other meanings....

I’ve worked an Ouija Board in the past, and had good results with it, but I think that a board one made themself is better than a store bought one, especially the way they are made today.

post-1114-0-69644000-1431654375_thumb.jpg

_________

attachicon.gifMY Spirit Board s1.jpg

Ohhhhh I really like that!! I love birds, especially Owls, African Greys, and Ravens.

The symbolism and/or use of symbols on that SB are lovely. I have a handmade skeleton key necklace that was made by a local witch that's meant to help/aid in divination and I have an owl charm on my charm bracelet as well as small hand carved owl figurine made of stone that's on one of my altars. My husband can help me make a functional SB that will at least be aesthetically pleasing, lol- but I'm not quite sure as pretty as that one.

Dang, double post I did. First try..it said it did not post, so I make a second try, and I get a double post. Sorry about that.

Good your Husband can help you. They are hard to make...at least for me.

My experiences with the Ouija board have been positive, and started me into mediumship when i was 17. We had an informal parapsychology group made up of 10 college girls from the dorm. We were so fresh we screamed if the phone rang. All laughter and fun, but serious too. Our only precaution was to open each sitting with a statement that only helpful spirits were welcome.

It was my board, but honestly it just didn't work if I was on it. When any 2 others would place their fingers on the planchette, hello-and-away-we-go. With me, phffft!

My grandpa came through and commented on his death...fell off a roof...to identify himself. Nobody but I knew that, and I was not on the board. One of the gals at the board fell into spontaneous trance, channeling grandpa, to explain how the accident occurred. The girl.'s face took on an overlay of his expressions and features that we all saw visibly. When he was satisfied with the information imparted, he just left. This event opened a whole new path to our group...trance speaking. We seldom used the board afterwards.

A spirit board or talking board is really only a divination tool as any tool used for communicating with Spirits; it all lies in the application and questions asked. If you want to use it for answers for divination purposes then it can be used that way; but also for general Spirit communication as well. But if it's the dead you want to talk to, my suggestion would be to go through a psychopomp to find the right spirit of the dead who can best answer your questions. Or you could use it to speak to the types of Spirits too. To make sure you are really talking to the God or Goddess or elemental, etc, I would do so from within at least a minor ritual format. Though I primarily work from a ritual format within witchcraft, so I may just be biased. But with Spirit work, I find that the results are best, at least for me, within ritual; unless it's just regular devotional work.

To me ouija boards are a effective tool for a small group or one helluva a medium because the spirits drawn forth are utilising your aura and subconscious its best to split the task and mask a bit of the energy identifiers i think every session should be tactfully conducted with a purpose and proper protections should be placed. But all in all ouija is a chatroom without wards and barriers anyone and anything can come and speak which can be good in a sense for identifying spirits that have stalked a person in a group or to channel ancestral messages. But can be bad demons weird fae or that spirit you disturbed when u played bloody Mary that one time protection is key.

I agree that a Ouija board is just a simple tool no more effective than any other type of tool that can be used to communicate with spirits. It is the communicator from the physical world who determines how successful it is. I would not encourage an inexperienced person to attempt to use one however as there is no control mechanism on these boards for the type of spirits that can respond. There are many dimensions of spirits and although lower level spirits who are not very nice could indeed be picked up, I would hope that someone from a higher dimension would look to take control and protect the user. In my experience this would mostly be the case but as always there can be exceptions.

As for using for divination, I have found the higher the level of the spirit you can build a relationship with the better your chances as the higher level spirits seem to have more power and abilities including telling future options.

There is a recurrent statement in people's responses that is confusing to me. It keeps being brought up that a spirit board is an open door to anything and everything, that there are no controls on it, open to all types of spirits etc etc...

I'm trying to understand why that is more true for the spirit board than any other type of communication approach?

Wards and protections can be put in place while doing anything including using a spirit board. It is my understanding that when we look out they look back- regardless what kind of tool we use ? Is there something that is somehow more out of control about the board and if so what?

That is intriguing, I never looked at the board/s as an open door to anything and everything any more or less than any other object or way of spirit communication. It is but a tool imo. Any person can draw an image on a piece of paper, call it a spirit board, and would that not serve the same purpose? I wonder if the simple fact that the ouija board has so much energy surrounding it from myths, stories, legends and beliefs, that it somehow has more power then. 

Do you believe they work first and foremost?  -  I believe that they work no more or less than any other method. I believe it all comes down to the person divining, and the energies that are around at that given time. 

I've heard the "horror" stories (so to speak) about them. Do you think the Ouija board is a potentially harmful/negative way to do divination? - Absolutely. I also believe any form of divination could be harmful. I think it should not be treated lightly, and a person should go in protected, and fully aware of the potential consequences, and ways to be safe in time of said consequences. 

Do you believe the spirits who communicate through them are legit (like typical ghosts I suppose is what I mean in this situation) or do you believe they're more "mischievous" and/or even malevolent entities who trick you? -  I think that it could go either way honestly. 

Do you think special precautions are necessary when interacting with/using one? I've read the owner of this website's info regarding the use of them and was wondering if that's the general consensus on the matter (like don't use them by yourself, make sure you say goodbye to the spirit and that it says goodbye to you, candles, incense, etc)?  I absolutely think they are necessary, no matter how experienced the user is. Better safe than sorry imo. 

If using one for divination purposes how reliable to the think the info is?  As reliable as any other source of divining or communicating with otherwordly beings. Very much so, or not even a little, or perhaps somewhere in the middle. 

​Does anyone have any personal experiences/stories they are willing to share either here or via pm?   One time as a teen, my friends and I were using one in an attic. The attic was lighted by a string of multicolored christmas lights. We asked for a sign, and all of the lights blew out except the red ones. I will never forget that.  

My Aunt used a ouija board often. It was one of the old ones. My grandmother and mother told me that it told her when and how she was going to die. She did die in that way.  I actually had her board as a teen and ended up burying it in a cemetery. I guess at that time I thought it was the right thing to do. We planned on going back to get it eventually, but they turned the part where we put it into  a dig site for something else. 

I tend to wonder if it has this reputation because it can give so much more clear and detailed messages than say a pendulum or even tarot (in some cases.) AND while I personally rely more on messages whispered in my ear -so to speak, if we are honest it's a lot easier to doubt the message if it came as a mental impression than if it was spelled out on a board. By doubt, in this case I mean " did that just really happen." Of course we can doubt the veracity of the message but it's tough to doubt that it was said when it is spelled out like that. Overall I guess I tend to think they have a bad rap because the detail and clarity of the message terrifies people. Also because, I highly doubt I am the only person who can't get much out of it alone. When you have a group all endeavoring to channel OF COURSE your going to get more impressive results. If you get a group of teen girls- phew- multiply it by ten. I think if Parker brothers had sold pendulums in the 80s this string would likely be about them.;). But I could be wrong.

My scary Ouija story:

Myself and a couple other pre-teen girls and one older sister were using it. I don't remember what it was saying because none of us thought IT was doing it- we kept blaming each other. So then to see what was really going on we asked it to blow out the candle. It DID. But that could have been wind, right( we were inside by the way). But then the older girl re- lit the candle. The next question someone asked was "was that you that blew out the candle?" The entire box of matches spontaneously ignited. It was fucking terrifying at the time:). No one was hurt though.

That was a scary story Oroboros..I would have been scared because I always had a fear of material world supernatural events. I used to watch scary tv shows and I thought that would be terrifying to really see something supernatural...When I was a kid I used the ouija board all time, and even made my own but that was friendly chit-chat and nothing scary. 

I didn't know anything about 'protection'...

How I got in trouble was with the pendulum, but I was using it in a ouija board way, to spell out words. Again, I was ignorant about protection but I wasn't scared of the pendulum. I always had used it on occasion..

That was how everything started and it was terrifying at first. A big giant nightmare. I didn't know that really it was my guidance fucking with me and teaching me the hard lessons that I needed to learn. I had never had a problem before because it wasn't my time. I was summoned. I was guided to use that pendulum because it was my time. 

The ouija board can be very dangerous, especially if the person is impressionable and not well protected. I was well protected but it didn't seem that way at the time. 

Just like any spirit communication, spirits tend to lie, or mislead. Maybe they are telling a version of the truth which is like confabulation. I wouldn't consider it accurate unless you are permitted to get accurate answers, and some people are, but I would only believe the facts and not the unverifiable stories.  A lie is just as easy to spell out as a truth. 

There is a recurrent statement in people's responses that is confusing to me. It keeps being brought up that a spirit board is an open door to anything and everything, that there are no controls on it, open to all types of spirits etc etc...

I'm trying to understand why that is more true for the spirit board than any other type of communication approach?

Wards and protections can be put in place while doing anything including using a spirit board. It is my understanding that when we look out they look back- regardless what kind of tool we use ? Is there something that is somehow more out of control about the board and if so what?

No it isn't because a spirit board is any different than any other tool, its simply because these bits of kit have been the most fashionable. Anyone who has watched a classic spirit horror would have seen these and because they were mass manufactured many people bought them for fun and basically copied what they had seen on a film. So we are talking now about inexperienced people buying a manufactured tool with no real instructions of any use. They work, very well but unless you have the knowledge to find who or what you are looking for then these things have been more responsible for the horror stories than other tools.

So yes people who have more experience in communicating with spirits don't even need a spirit board and are well aware of the techniques required to communicate effectively and safely at every opportunity, but you know that even a couple of kids playing with these things can arouse a passing spirit who has nothing better to do than scare the shit out of them.

Wow, interesting experiences. I'm just curious, has anyone ever had spirits mis-spell what they were saying, or have they all been perfect in spelling? I realize that's an odd question, but the one time that I played with a spirit board, which was drawn in crayons or markers on a piece of ply board (not my creation, we found it), the "spirit" mis-spelled a few words which made me think it was my cousin doing the manipulation of the cardboard planchette that we had cut out.

Last time I used a Ouija with significant success was decades ago- so I do not recall the spelling.  Hopefully someone will verify this- but I have heard that they do NOT usually spell correctly and sometimes it is grossly wrong- like phonetic spelling or missing vowels.  

It was back in the 70's for me, and I believe everything was spelled correctly. We did have one spirit with a stutter...or so we called it, because that one contact kept repeating a letter 2-3 times before moving to the next. Like ttthhhiiisss.