52 replies to this topic

#41 Levinthross

Levinthross

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:07 AM

To me ouija boards are a effective tool for a small group or one helluva a medium because the spirits drawn forth are utilising your aura and subconscious its best to split the task and mask a bit of the energy identifiers i think every session should be tactfully conducted with a purpose and proper protections should be placed. But all in all ouija is a chatroom without wards and barriers anyone and anything can come and speak which can be good in a sense for identifying spirits that have stalked a person in a group or to channel ancestral messages. But can be bad demons weird fae or that spirit you disturbed when u played bloody Mary that one time protection is key.

#42 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:15 PM

I agree that a Ouija board is just a simple tool no more effective than any other type of tool that can be used to communicate with spirits. It is the communicator from the physical world who determines how successful it is. I would not encourage an inexperienced person to attempt to use one however as there is no control mechanism on these boards for the type of spirits that can respond. There are many dimensions of spirits and although lower level spirits who are not very nice could indeed be picked up, I would hope that someone from a higher dimension would look to take control and protect the user. In my experience this would mostly be the case but as always there can be exceptions.

As for using for divination, I have found the higher the level of the spirit you can build a relationship with the better your chances as the higher level spirits seem to have more power and abilities including telling future options.

#43 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:39 PM

There is a recurrent statement in people's responses that is confusing to me. It keeps being brought up that a spirit board is an open door to anything and everything, that there are no controls on it, open to all types of spirits etc etc...
I'm trying to understand why that is more true for the spirit board than any other type of communication approach?

Wards and protections can be put in place while doing anything including using a spirit board. It is my understanding that when we look out they look back- regardless what kind of tool we use ? Is there something that is somehow more out of control about the board and if so what?

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#44 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

That is intriguing, I never looked at the board/s as an open door to anything and everything any more or less than any other object or way of spirit communication. It is but a tool imo. Any person can draw an image on a piece of paper, call it a spirit board, and would that not serve the same purpose? I wonder if the simple fact that the ouija board has so much energy surrounding it from myths, stories, legends and beliefs, that it somehow has more power then. 

Do you believe they work first and foremost?  -  I believe that they work no more or less than any other method. I believe it all comes down to the person divining, and the energies that are around at that given time. 

I've heard the "horror" stories (so to speak) about them. Do you think the Ouija board is a potentially harmful/negative way to do divination? - Absolutely. I also believe any form of divination could be harmful. I think it should not be treated lightly, and a person should go in protected, and fully aware of the potential consequences, and ways to be safe in time of said consequences. 

Do you believe the spirits who communicate through them are legit (like typical ghosts I suppose is what I mean in this situation) or do you believe they're more "mischievous" and/or even malevolent entities who trick you? -  I think that it could go either way honestly. 

Do you think special precautions are necessary when interacting with/using one? I've read the owner of this website's info regarding the use of them and was wondering if that's the general consensus on the matter (like don't use them by yourself, make sure you say goodbye to the spirit and that it says goodbye to you, candles, incense, etc)?  I absolutely think they are necessary, no matter how experienced the user is. Better safe than sorry imo. 

If using one for divination purposes how reliable to the think the info is?  As reliable as any other source of divining or communicating with otherwordly beings. Very much so, or not even a little, or perhaps somewhere in the middle. 

​Does anyone have any personal experiences/stories they are willing to share either here or via pm?   One time as a teen, my friends and I were using one in an attic. The attic was lighted by a string of multicolored christmas lights. We asked for a sign, and all of the lights blew out except the red ones. I will never forget that.  

My Aunt used a ouija board often. It was one of the old ones. My grandmother and mother told me that it told her when and how she was going to die. She did die in that way.  I actually had her board as a teen and ended up burying it in a cemetery. I guess at that time I thought it was the right thing to do. We planned on going back to get it eventually, but they turned the part where we put it into  a dig site for something else. 

#45 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:22 PM

I tend to wonder if it has this reputation because it can give so much more clear and detailed messages than say a pendulum or even tarot (in some cases.) AND while I personally rely more on messages whispered in my ear -so to speak, if we are honest it's a lot easier to doubt the message if it came as a mental impression than if it was spelled out on a board. By doubt, in this case I mean " did that just really happen." Of course we can doubt the veracity of the message but it's tough to doubt that it was said when it is spelled out like that. Overall I guess I tend to think they have a bad rap because the detail and clarity of the message terrifies people. Also because, I highly doubt I am the only person who can't get much out of it alone. When you have a group all endeavoring to channel OF COURSE your going to get more impressive results. If you get a group of teen girls- phew- multiply it by ten. I think if Parker brothers had sold pendulums in the 80s this string would likely be about them.;). But I could be wrong.

My scary Ouija story:
Myself and a couple other pre-teen girls and one older sister were using it. I don't remember what it was saying because none of us thought IT was doing it- we kept blaming each other. So then to see what was really going on we asked it to blow out the candle. It DID. But that could have been wind, right( we were inside by the way). But then the older girl re- lit the candle. The next question someone asked was "was that you that blew out the candle?" The entire box of matches spontaneously ignited. It was fucking terrifying at the time:). No one was hurt though.

Edited by Oroboros, 27 June 2016 - 05:24 PM.

#46 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:39 PM

That was a scary story Oroboros..I would have been scared because I always had a fear of material world supernatural events. I used to watch scary tv shows and I thought that would be terrifying to really see something supernatural...When I was a kid I used the ouija board all time, and even made my own but that was friendly chit-chat and nothing scary. 

I didn't know anything about 'protection'...

How I got in trouble was with the pendulum, but I was using it in a ouija board way, to spell out words. Again, I was ignorant about protection but I wasn't scared of the pendulum. I always had used it on occasion..

That was how everything started and it was terrifying at first. A big giant nightmare. I didn't know that really it was my guidance fucking with me and teaching me the hard lessons that I needed to learn. I had never had a problem before because it wasn't my time. I was summoned. I was guided to use that pendulum because it was my time. 

The ouija board can be very dangerous, especially if the person is impressionable and not well protected. I was well protected but it didn't seem that way at the time. 

Just like any spirit communication, spirits tend to lie, or mislead. Maybe they are telling a version of the truth which is like confabulation. I wouldn't consider it accurate unless you are permitted to get accurate answers, and some people are, but I would only believe the facts and not the unverifiable stories.  A lie is just as easy to spell out as a truth. 

#47 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:36 PM

There is a recurrent statement in people's responses that is confusing to me. It keeps being brought up that a spirit board is an open door to anything and everything, that there are no controls on it, open to all types of spirits etc etc...
I'm trying to understand why that is more true for the spirit board than any other type of communication approach?

Wards and protections can be put in place while doing anything including using a spirit board. It is my understanding that when we look out they look back- regardless what kind of tool we use ? Is there something that is somehow more out of control about the board and if so what?

No it isn't because a spirit board is any different than any other tool, its simply because these bits of kit have been the most fashionable. Anyone who has watched a classic spirit horror would have seen these and because they were mass manufactured many people bought them for fun and basically copied what they had seen on a film. So we are talking now about inexperienced people buying a manufactured tool with no real instructions of any use. They work, very well but unless you have the knowledge to find who or what you are looking for then these things have been more responsible for the horror stories than other tools.

So yes people who have more experience in communicating with spirits don't even need a spirit board and are well aware of the techniques required to communicate effectively and safely at every opportunity, but you know that even a couple of kids playing with these things can arouse a passing spirit who has nothing better to do than scare the shit out of them.

#48 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:40 AM

Wow, interesting experiences. I'm just curious, has anyone ever had spirits mis-spell what they were saying, or have they all been perfect in spelling? I realize that's an odd question, but the one time that I played with a spirit board, which was drawn in crayons or markers on a piece of ply board (not my creation, we found it), the "spirit" mis-spelled a few words which made me think it was my cousin doing the manipulation of the cardboard planchette that we had cut out.

#49 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:20 PM

Last time I used a Ouija with significant success was decades ago- so I do not recall the spelling.  Hopefully someone will verify this- but I have heard that they do NOT usually spell correctly and sometimes it is grossly wrong- like phonetic spelling or missing vowels.  

#50 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:48 PM

It was back in the 70's for me, and I believe everything was spelled correctly. We did have one spirit with a stutter...or so we called it, because that one contact kept repeating a letter 2-3 times before moving to the next. Like ttthhhiiisss.

#51 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:13 PM

I remember the last thing the spirit said, it was "the verdikt is in", spelled just like that. It was very odd and came from out of nowhere, it didn't match the conversation we had been having. My cousin and I were pretty creeped out by it and just stopped. 

#52 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:19 AM

@Kalinia, I bet it scared the hell out of whoever found it! lol

I don't have any scary Ouija board stories because I've only used one twice. I thought about buying one at the toy store but I use my pendulum & a letter board generally so have never had much interest in them beyond my teenage years. (Although I think it would be fun to try, properly warded, with some witchy friends!)

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#53 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:41 AM

I lived in a large housing co-op when I was 20 and moved into one of the larger rooms after living there for a few months. The previous girl moved out of the house abruptly and I always thought it was because she and her boyfriend had a bad falling out. Almost immediately after moving in there was a lot of unmistakable activity. Scratching at the walls, windows slamming shut, it even stole my weed  :D it also returned the weed a few days later. At the time I was not at all into communicating with anything and assumed anything making itself known was anything but benevolent, so it scared me pretty bad. My housemates were all divided as to what was going on, some of them had experiences in my room, too, but others thought we were nuts. One of my friends ran into the girl who used to live in that room before me and he asked her about it. She confirmed that she had lights switch on and off by themselves and the "dread" feeling, and it was a big part in her decision to leave the house. She also said that before she moved into that room, while it was vacant, some people would hang out in it and use an Ouija board, and she didn't "believe" in them until then. We found the board and burned it among other things to get it to leave. It did leave, but the room felt gross for weeks afterward so I decided to move to a different room

This experience has sort of colored my view a little bit in regards to Ouija, but I accept that this is a personal bias. At the end of the day, treat any spirit work, Ouija or otherwise, with respect and use protection. Kinda like sex lol. I have a feeling quite a bit of the negative Ouija stories come about because the people haphazardly using them do neither of those things.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ouija, ouija board, spirit board, divination, spirits, entities, talking boards