62 replies to this topic

#41 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:35 PM

I don't get my feathers ruffled over technical writing errors....what we need to keep in mind is that not everyone is advantaged to have had the same quality and level of education as some of us.

It has made me literally furious when members of this forum who were ESL were chased off due to simple language errors, despite the fact that their writing was technically imperfect, but entirely understandable.

I personally have terrible insomnia, to the extent that I'll be awake five days in a row, and my writing during those times is certainly imperfect, despite my education and level of intelligence.

Just sayin'!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#42 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:34 AM

My grandmother was the editor and a reporter for a newspaper for over thirty years and my other grandmother is a retired school teacher who taught primarily English and who also writes for a newspaper even though she's "retired" (and 86)!! Not only is it force of habit for me, but for some reason I'm particularly adept in that area despite not liking it at all (writing/editing).

I've made sure to be cordial and stay on point regarding all of the OP's other replies, etc. in numerous other threads. However, you cannot copyright something that's plagiarized (sources not cited) and that's not something for which I'll apologize. If you make it an effort to present your writing in that type of manner, you open yourself up for the criticism period. Just sayin'! :wink:

For some reason I tend to write best when I'm sleep deprived and/or hypomanic- I have no fucking idea why either bc it's not like my brain seems to be making a lot of sense to me during those times and you'd think I'd be more prone to errors, but it's the exact opposite. I guess my writing is more "raw" then I suppose.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#43 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:09 AM

The bitch of it is, some sources cannot be quoted...I think there is a rule regarding this, but I have no idea exactly what it is anymore. Heh.
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#44 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:08 AM

The bitch of it is, some sources cannot be quoted...I think there is a rule regarding this, but I have no idea exactly what it is anymore. Heh.

There are the ones that are considered "common knowledge" by the majority of the population, like proverbs (not Proverbs from the Bible, although some of them might actually be considered part of this "rule") or well known quotes: "an apple a day keeps the dr away" or "we have nothing to fear but fear itself" (although many people know it's FDR, however it's one you could probably get away with not citing), and so on. Or it you don't know the source you literally put "unknown" next to quote. Definitions, to which I was referring w/regards to citations, are literally taken from a dictionary of some sort and that's the heart of what I meant. Admittedly the other is just me being a grammar nazi.

And actually I came back on here to post something after I thought about what you said regarding scaring people away. While I don't apologize for issues I raised w/regards to English, etc., I really thought about what you said regarding the possibility of a new member being chased away bc of something trivial w/comparison to what TW is actually all about. I view you as a fair and reasonable person and it really made me think about how bitchy I might have appeared to the OP. For this I will apologize- @Oceanos I'm sorry if appeared that I was coming across bitchy. It isn't my intent to attempt to chase you away or sour you towards this forum. I genuinely hope you'll get to know us and stick around, even though we have a ton of different personalities and some of them w/whom you may never agree or see eye to eye.

I forget sometimes that not everyone is built the same way- For example, Monsno and I've "had at it" several times, but I genuinely don't believe he holds a grudge and actually enjoys being challenged sometimes (he rather likes to debate :wink: ), plus he contributes to many threads I start w/helpful info (in fact sometimes I look forward to it, especially when it's a subject in which he has more experience). This goes for a lot of other members as well, but I'm just using him as an example- bc I don't think he would mind. It's never my intent to come across as snobby, bitchy, etc. I hope you can see past that @Oceanos and realize I don't mean any harm. I can't speak for everyone here of course, but Aurelian's comment just made me think a bit more. :smile:

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#45 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:21 AM

Not offended at all bewitchingredhead. We have bumped heads over things and no I do not tend to hold grudges so that's a true statement as well.
We're I get picky is when you suggest a factual historical source as reference but then can't present it. While UPG can be claimed people forget that UPG has an individual aspect that is based upon experience but also an implied individual conclusion based upon analysis of established things. Sort of one can say I feel X about a goddess and a sacred site. Which really can't be used to produce reference material. Yet UPG can also be used in the aspect of speculation of a goddess and historical site based upon historical evidence. Consider Hekate at Lagina we know for certain the Procession of the Key occurred twice per year and where it went. What we don't know is what exactly happened along the way or its higher purpose. So UPG using historical fact as a basis can be challenged as to why a conclusion was drawn.

But like I said it seems far to many modern pagans / occultist forget there are multiple forms of UPG, SPG, CPG.

#46 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:27 AM

^^^^^^^ You know that's a newer area for me w/regards to that subject (as literal personal experiences).

#47 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:12 AM

To summarise up, be it a good writing or bad; new or old it is still my writings. I respect all views and comments be it positive or negative. Whether your offspring is good or bad, clever or not etc. they are still your offspring like it or not. For me I just prefer it to be al dente when it comes to sharing. Just be yourself that is my point. As long as you are sincere and genuine other aspect don't matter. It matters because you are concerned how others view you. High self-monitoring will not get you anywhere in life. Respect is the key to all doors. As Monsnoleedra mentioned when you speak to someone elder than your age be respectful, one's life experience is an invaluable lesson or wisdom apart from other aspects. No one is good when they think they are good unless others think and feel you are good. A professional writer does not necessary produce quality work. Shallowness cannot be disguised by good writing.

Thank you all for your inputs and replies, much appreciated.

"Some People Have A Gift For Stupidity, An Almost Mystic Ability To Withstand Any Form Of Logic"

output_dLSIE3.gif

#48 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:49 AM

Evil is just not a term that I ever use. I mean, yes I have seen some bad craziness in my time. I read the news. And I will think perhaps that something was seriously fucked up. That would be the term. Neither am I one to use good, in the overarching sense. I might use it if we're discussing pasta. The protagonist of "Evolution's Darling" does not use those terms at all, but refers to "things that I look at, and things that I do not look at," Probably worded so because the writer wanted to underscore the character's inhumanity, but still providing a better dichotomy than good/evil, which has acquired too many bylaws and religious trappings. Evil is not really a useful term if decoupled from good, and good in that usage more or less requires an exterior referent. Whereas "things that I do not look at" spears the revulsion that a truly wrong circumstance evokes. It does take longer to say, and perhaps that ought to be so. Generally I do stick to adjectives that target my specific reaction, in preference over abstract terms. Specifics can be improved.
Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#49 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

Islamic Jihadists would probably not consider killing Jewish and Xtian children to be an evil act.
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#50 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:13 PM

Quite so; from what I understand, the jihadist interpretation is that the infidel embodies evil, and that the slaughter of evil is inherently good. So yes, jihad is an excellent quotidian illustration of the point I wanted to make.

#51 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:42 PM

I don't get my feathers ruffled over technical writing errors....what we need to keep in mind is that not everyone is advantaged to have had the same quality and level of education as some of us.

It has made me literally furious when members of this forum who were ESL were chased off due to simple language errors, despite the fact that their writing was technically imperfect, but entirely understandable.

I personally have terrible insomnia, to the extent that I'll be awake five days in a row, and my writing during those times is certainly imperfect, despite my education and level of intelligence.

Just sayin'!

Indeed even with education does not make anyone superior in any way moreover if you don't know the person much its best to have an open heart perspective. Knowledge can be learned but wisdom is not necessary gained. An apple tree has many apples but not all are good or sweet. A family of writer does not make all their descendant a writer, talent is a gift/previlege but not an obligation/must. No individual is the same even if they have the same education level, success is life is neither guaranteed nor achieveable even with high education. The level of intelligience is not access through just proper writing only.

Evil is just not a term that I ever use. I mean, yes I have seen some bad craziness in my time. I read the news. And I will think perhaps that something was seriously fucked up. That would be the term. Neither am I one to use good, in the overarching sense. I might use it if we're discussing pasta. The protagonist of "Evolution's Darling" does not use those terms at all, but refers to "things that I look at, and things that I do not look at," Probably worded so because the writer wanted to underscore the character's inhumanity, but still providing a better dichotomy than good/evil, which has acquired too many bylaws and religious trappings. Evil is not really a useful term if decoupled from good, and good in that usage more or less requires an exterior referent. Whereas "things that I do not look at" spears the revulsion that a truly wrong circumstance evokes. It does take longer to say, and perhaps that ought to be so. Generally I do stick to adjectives that target my specific reaction, in preference over abstract terms. Specifics can be improved.

Thank you for sharing.

Edited by OCEANOS, 09 May 2015 - 05:43 PM.

"Some People Have A Gift For Stupidity, An Almost Mystic Ability To Withstand Any Form Of Logic"

output_dLSIE3.gif

#52 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:41 AM

I feel like the concept of the duality of ultimate good and ultimate evil is kind of bullshit. I can't think of anything in nature that exists that way.

#53 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:43 AM

I feel like the concept of the duality of ultimate good and ultimate evil is kind of bullshit. I can't think of anything in nature that exists that way.

Yes in a certain sense however Light and Shadow are only separated by a thin veil; cross-over are inevitable in comparison to extreme duality.

output_dLSIE3.gif

#54 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

Like I always say, or really like Will Shakespeare said;
"There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so"

:soapbox:

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#55 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:19 PM

Plenty of room on that soapbox, I hope!

#56 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:25 AM

To me this is a thread with no purpose.
It is posted in the stories & poems section, not a forum generally used for discussion.
The OP has stated it is writing from 11 years ago. That's fine, but don't be surprised when members question aspects of it.
In answering these questions the excuse "oh but I wrote it 11 years ago" seems to me to be a cop out and a way to hedge your bets on nailing your colours to the mast where your views are concerned.
In other words when challenged or questioned, it seems to me the excuses are a default option.
I am bored of this thread, but have decided not to close it yet. That would be autocratic, wouldn't it!

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#57 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:33 AM

It is posted in the stories & poems section, not a forum generally used for discussion.
The OP has stated it is writing from 11 years ago. That's fine, but don't be surprised when members question aspects of it.
In answering these questions the excuse "oh but I wrote it 11 years ago" seems to me to be a cop out and a way to hedge your bets on nailing your colours to the mast where your views are concerned.
In other words when challenged or questioned, it seems to me the excuses are a default option.
I am bored of this thread, but have decided not to close it yet. That would be autocratic, wouldn't it!

I always forget that you can't +1 moderators posts, lol.
I thought I was doing the right thing by apologizing if it seemed like I was being negative/picking, bitchy, etc. (since my comments were about the actual writing) bc it's not my intention to run anyone off and/sour them from this forum; but it seems like the OP would rather be passive aggressive. Which is fine, but at least I'm direct and own my words, even if I have to "eat them" sometimes.

I feel like it's ironic since she recently posted something about being sincere, yet it seems like she says one thing that's meant to be perceived as sincere and in the very next sentence says something that's a bit chastising, condescending and/or passive aggressive.

It's ok if you don't like my post(s) and/or disagree w/them Oceanos. You can tell me directly like Aurelian did and I express how you really feel instead of being passive aggressive. Especially since we joked about it chat the other night. It's rather like Monsno's reference regarding you addressing him as "dear"; now I'm not particularly sure if you are being sincere when you post in general.

*Sorry Tana for using your post as a jumping point, especially if was major cause and/or contributed to your boredom!
:tongue:

#58 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:32 AM

As a relatively new member of this community, I thought this is the correct section generally for sharing and discussion; if it is not then it's my bad. By sharing this writing, I am not surprised if anyone has question towards the aspects of it however not to such an extent not related to the context of this subject. As stated I welcome all views and inputs, you are free to have your individual perspective however it does not represent mine likewise I am neither seeking anyone to agree with me nor against me. I am happy to share and participate in a healthy discussion but it is not my duty to please everyone or ensure they see it in the way I want. Excuses can be many but it is subjective not necessarily mine, I stated it is an old writing which I shared before 11 years ago but I wrote this much earlier is just for your information that's all, it was never meant to be any excuses in any way. In reality, how you perceive, think or assume; your individual cognition is not within my control.

Thank you for your input and reading regardless it is out of boredom or in capacity of your duty as a Moderator of this community. I respect your decision not to close this thread. In my opinion, closing this thread or not lies in your decision and power as a Moderator; it is more of your duty than being autocratic if it is for the greater good of this community.

A side note, it is lovely to meet you here and thank you for your time.

output_dLSIE3.gif

#59 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:00 PM

I just think it's hysterical that in a thread about 'true evil' we have a long drawn out discussion on grammar and writing styles.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#60 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

I just think it's hysterical that in a thread about 'true evil' we have a long drawn out discussion on grammar and writing styles.

Which is funny, because I'm pretty sure I've had talks about grammar that devolved in to accusing others of being evil. People have very strong opinions about the Oxford comma.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]