• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Barsa

Barsa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:51 PM

Seems nothing quite works for me like playing cards... but I am so rusty at it and my main reference is now gone-zo, so i have to be more intuitive. Anyone else here work with them?
"Sweet are the uses of adversity, which, like the toad, ugly and venomous, wears yet a precious jewel in his head;
And this our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in every thing."

#2 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:58 AM

I prefer them to tarot. But yeah, you need some memory for it and if I don't use them for a while it's back to some reading for me.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#3 candleflame

candleflame

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:25 AM

Hi Barsa,yes I read them. If you need a spread patten that's works well or meanings,but the meanings are mostly my own after years and years of watching what they mean. Books I found are about 40/50 percent right,I guess it's what the card means to the reader.
Like the 5 clubs to me is temper tantrums and 9 spades stress and sickness, 9 and 10 of spades together is fire or someone could get a burn.or 8 of clubs maybe a small money win etc, just let me know if I can help cheers candleflame or Greg

#4 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:25 AM

Seems nothing quite works for me like playing cards... but I am so rusty at it and my main reference is now gone-zo, so i have to be more intuitive. Anyone else here work with them?

I've used them a couple of times. I've found the best way to understand the cards is to pick one card a day (in the morning or right before bed for the next day). And write down your initial feelings about what that card is telling you about the day. And make a chart with each card on it and document the day you pulled that card. After 52 days or 53 (if you use the joker) go back and look at what you've written down for each card. Sometimes you may have pulled the 2 of diamonds two or three times, and each time you've picked up a different impression of what that card was telling you for the day. None of those interpretations are wrong.
It's a helpful exercise to get you out of a black and white form of thinking when it comes to divination.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#5 candleflame

candleflame

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:36 AM

Yes I have worked with them and have done for 40 odd yrs. I might put the layout and meanings in the divination section. I don't go by books,I have a lot of my own meanings as I have watched the cards for years to see really what they meant and happened so I could say that this card means this for sure. I have read the tarot a little,but found they have strange vibe or potency.
It's like books and web sites how many are out there to predict the future,millions of them which ones are spot on. Have not found one spot on yet with its predictions. they all vary. But that's just my opinion.
If ya want any help just yell out. I don't go much on the one card pick, as for eg,the 2d means a warning or 2 days which one do you take it to mean. That's why it's better with most of the deck out you can see what coming in 2 day etc,
Cheers

#6 Deb13b

Deb13b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

Just wondering what methods you're using. I've only recently started learning with playing cards. I'm more used to tarot. I've been using the Hedgewytch method. It's not coming along as easy as I hoped lol

#7 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

I read, although not very often these days, the traditional Neapolitan playing cards.
My understanding of them comes a bit from what I've been thaught, and a bit from my experience with them.
I find playing cards much more accurate than Tarot for answers on material, everyday things. They lack the depth of Tarot, in my opinion.

I guess by 'playing cards' you mean the French ones, the ones used for poker. I've never used those.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#8 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:43 AM

I don't use playing cards...just can't seem to relate to them, I guess because I've never liked card games. But Tarot, I can relate totally to, and get very accurate answers from the mundane world to the spiritual world. Different strokes for different folks.

#9 candleflame

candleflame

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:57 PM

How I read playing cards,I will put a little of the meanings in each week. So you need a 52 card deck take out jokers throw them away.
Shuffle,shuffle,and shuffle and think of what you want to know. Then cut the deck with( left hand only)with the cards you cut in your hand,put to the left of the heap you cut from,so you have 2 piles.then cut from 2nd pile again and put that to the left,so now you have 3 piles 3 2 1
Now with the left hand pick the first pile on the left that you first cut,put it on top of the second pile,then put the first and second piles on the 3rd pile so you have your deck as one pile now.
Off the of the top of the deck ,deal out 10 cards turning them face up,from right to left in a line then deal ( this is your ( PRESENT )
Next deal another 10 cards,off top of deck again, just under your first line this is your ( PAST )
NOTE AS YOUR DEALING THEM OFF TAKE IT SLOW AND JUST GLANCE AT EACH CARD.
Then another 10 under that line which is your (FUTURE )
Then deal off 2 more and put them to one side,this is your ( SUPRISE )
So you should have 3 rows of 10 cards plus 2.....The lay out is called past present future as far as I know,I been using it for 40 odd yrs.
You don't need no fancy packs they all do the same thing and don't make your readings any better,just a cheap pack from the supermarket is fine,but always keep in a little cardboard box or wooden box not a bag. With a new pack of cards mix and mix them well so you don't have small runs of spades etc, I put hearts and diamonds meanings tomorrow if the bloody post button works.
Remember if your reading for anyone,they must shuffle and cut in to three and that's all they do. you must pick the heaps up as you did for yourself and the rest is the same....cheers

#10 demetria

demetria

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:12 AM

A while back, I saw an interesting Tumblr post with regarding divination with playing cards that inspired me to try my hand at it. Seeing this thread has inspired me again. Thanks!

#11 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:37 PM

There is also a connection with Lenormand there, I guess, as Lenormand builts on playing cards.
La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#12 candleflame

candleflame

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:41 AM

HEARTS,how I read there meanings
A -the home or where you live
2-friendship or two lovers
3-enjoyment or celebrations also can mean in one week
4- the marriage bed
5-someone likes you or has a crush on you
6-this means you will have mr naughty or someone close to you will make love,more so with 4 hearts
7-can't make up your mind,juggling ideas or things
8-visitors
9-you will have a little joy out of something
10-entertainment or festivity for you
Jack-young man under 30yrs,make out his the best, watch him.star sign cancer,Scorpio,Pisces.
Queen- a nice women to know,same star sign as the jack
King- blue eyes and over 30yrs a nice man same star sign as jack
DIAMONDS
A-a phone call to you from someone
2-a warning about something or a person
3-a social activity is coming
4-a short journey to be taken
5-a meeting
6- some sort of offer
7-a gift of money or a cheque
8-meeting about money or money matters
9-fixing up the home,a Reno,building or hanging something up
10-something to do with property,buying,looking at or like to rent
Jack-a young fellow under 30yrs star sign Capricorn,Virgo,Taurus....good person
Queen-same star sign as the jack,good person
King- over 30yrs fair man may have plenty of money
,SOME CARD COMBITATIONS OF HEARTS AND DIAMONDS
9H 9D. Could win a good sum of money
8D 8H. New clothes or something you ware
10d 10H. A wedding
4D 4H. Young children
AD AH AC. Something very good coming

#13 candleflame

candleflame

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:18 AM

MY MEANINGS OF SPADES
A-large town or city
2-deceit around you
3-crying or rain
4-illness coming for you or someone around you
5-temper tantrums by you or someone else close to you
6-a young boy 0-12 yrs
7-a car,bike,rv,something that's moves along a road
8-a roadway,street,highway,
9- feeling depressed,just down in life,no feeling well due to something bothering you.
10-night time after 12pm or noon which is the start of a witches night
Jack-young man under 30yrs star sign,Gemini,libra,Aquarius
Queen-widow,can be a spiteful women. Star sign same as jack
King- this man has something to do with government or works for it. Star sign same as Jack
COMBINATIONS OF SPADE CARDS
Ace Spades any court card-photograph
6s & 7s....fall or injury
9s & 10s...fire or a burn
8s & 10s....news at night not to good
8s & 5s....jealousy
8s & 7s & 5s...car accident
3s & 7s & 9s.....a death in hospital
6s & 8s.......Delay or postponement
7s & 6s & 5s....danger of robbery
9s & 10s....very sick
Ace of spades and 7 of diamonds.....news read in newspaper
MEANING OF CLUBS
A- a letter,fax,text message.some message where you don't talk
2-new developments or can be a friend who is a little disappointing
3-friends fighting among them selfs or with you
4-strange bed you be sleeping in
5-news coming from family or someone in a country area
6-material gain,good news
7-money for work or a little reward
8-a small win with gambling,or something you took a risk with....you maybe flying in a plane too. Or drinking
9-romance on the wind or someone you like or they may like you,may make contact.
10-an appointment or a settlement. Can mean you'll be inside a big building also
Jack-young man under 30yrs,star sign Leo,Aries,Sagittarius.ok person
Queen-lively woman,a leader or boss type of person, quick tempered.star sign same as jack
King-again a boss type person,star sign same as jack

#14 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:52 AM

I think playing cards actually give me a lot more freedom. Without the images like those in tarot decks, I am free to trust my inner voice more confidently. I do like tarot, but I would say I prefer a simple cheap playing deck any day.

#15 candleflame

candleflame

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:47 AM

Hi witchpriest,yes I find tarot is a bit to potent for me.yes a pack of good tarot can cost ya $50+ a pack of cheap playing cards $3.
It not the money,but what ever one is happy with I guess.i think ecept for the 22 major tarot cards the rest are the same as playing cards.
playing cards were copied off the tarot or something like that they say

#16 Vivienne

Vivienne

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

I've always wanted to learn to use playing cards for divination. Literally, since I was a child, I've been stumbling across the idea repeatedly and I just never seem to get around to it. I did learn some as a kid but never finished. How strange. I have tarot cards and some oracle cards, how funny that I couldn't just use the cards that I already had and instead bought new cards. This thread reminded me and now I'm determined to learn. lol I'll pull out my playing cards tonight. ^_^

#17 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:05 PM

Bump!

I've started reading with playing cards. I'm pretty much a sucker for any form of divination with cards, though, and I enjoy the challenge. I've also misplaced my Lenormand deck (I'll have to ask for it back, lol). Here are my discoveries so far:
1) the playing cards tell the truth. No sugarcoating -- even if it's an uncomfortable truth.
2) they are spot on accurate
3) sometimes they are quite literal. For example, I asked how my husband's fishing trip would go. I got the 7 of Spades for tears. I interpreted this as a fight between fishing buddies. Nope! The river was flooded & they had to return home.

I have started reading the article on the Hedgewytchery site about the Art of Cartomancy ("For the Witch of Middling Memory" :lol ). Site is here (on the wayback machine) http://web.archive.o...cartomancy.html

It's also a great site if you're interested in English folk magic. If you're interested in the hoodoo method , I believe Charles Porterfield has a book as well--it's called "Deck of Spells". https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/097196128X
Also Robin Artisson has a book out called "Hands of Fate", which is much more geared towards the witch. https://www.amazon.c...f fate artisson

How are everyone's studies going with cartomancy?

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#18 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:53 PM

I did a really great intuitive reading with a deck of cards using only a little beer as an aid ;) My friends wanted readings and the only thing around was the deck of cards being used in the forgotten rummy game, so....

Honestly though, it was a very good reading and I was just open enough to let it flow through me. I think I'm going to play with this more.

RSKHFMY

#19 kiki

kiki

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:03 AM

Hi.

I love playing cards and work with them a lot. Way more than with the full tarot deck (though I always carry both). I read them like the standard Minor Arcana. The knights are action. I take out the doublesided ones and the jokers. Spades = Swords, Hearts = Cups, Clubs = Wands, Diamonds = Pentacles. They work great for day to day stuff which is most reads, right? Mostly it's tell me how to get through the next week, right? I still use the big deck on holidays or whatever but for most days the minors are plenty.

I think the fact that they're playing cards makes them better for daily life. They're way more down to earth than the tarot just by what they are. They're easy to get and personally I've been in love with playing cards forever. They're easier to manipulate than standard sized tarot cards, too, just because they fit your hands better.

I used to think I got better reads with them because I could cycle through more combinatorials before they told me to stop. Some of the ones sold for stage magicians and cardistry and such have a finish that makes shuffling like butter. My current understanding is more nuanced. You need to find a deck that wants to talk to you. I have lots and different ones tell me to read them at different times. They talk in different voices. My latest deck is a poet, I swear. The reads are beautiful...

My technique is really simple. I shuffle until I get a pull to pick one. Then I shuffle more and pick the next one. I just pull cards and read them in order until I feel like I got the whole message. Sometimes I get a card for the underlying theme at the end. Any that jump (or fall) get read too, often after the initial read while I'm reshuffling. I just interact with the deck and try to be sensitive to which ones to pull.

Cheers,

Kiki

#20 Birka

Birka

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:37 PM

I use them, but I use a spanish deck instead of the 52 card deck (48 vs 52). 

I use them for practical matters, and almost daily for yes/no formats. 

I have had a hard time memorizing the 52 card deck, which is why I went with spanish- for some reason they work better for me. No, losing 4 cards wasn't why, but the cards resonated with me better, with a clearer mapping for me. I use tarot for spiritual matters more now, and playing cards for practical matters. No different than just using pips in Tarot, and if you use an historical tarot deck, it's not unlike that in it's feeling and application.