Photo
- - - - -

how to use a red witch candle ?

candle magic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#41 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:53 PM

Why? Are you volunteering? LOL

I have one and she's about to come into her own. In our Way - there are certain things you're not taught until after you've had a child.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#42 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

Why? Are you volunteering? LOL

I have one and she's about to come into her own. In our Way - there are certain things you're not taught until after you've had a child.

Well I do miss our long talks :D

I was thinking about her last night - I hope she is well.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#43 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

I do, too, sweetie. I'm only a phone call away. Just try to keep it before 9pm EDT. Mornings come quick around here LOL

And yes, she's doing much better since she's home. Thanx for asking.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#44 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:56 AM

___
My question is perhaps a tiny bit OT, but I've always wondered why a practitioner would carve on a candle and then place a paper underneath saying the same spell? Is it not a bit redundant? This is not a criticism...I'm just wondering. If the spell is more intricate than can fit on the candle, then I can see why one would use a paper spell under the candle, with the idea that the flame of the candle helps to power the spell, but if the carved candle and the paper say the same thing...?

I know that petition papers underneath candles are common practice in Hoodoo. Granted they may (or may not) have the exact same thing you may have carved into the candle, since they (the petition papers) have a specific tradition that's usually followed when composing and placing them (petition papers). It's considered "reinforcement" in simple terms.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#45 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:51 AM

When I was first taught making our own candles and such was the only way. We'd get smacked if we even considered a store purchased candle as you never knew the quality of the candle. I always figured we put the intent into writing the script and creating the scroll and then inbedding it in wax allowed us to consider our desire as well as give it that extra umph as our anger, love, hate, etc physically was applied to the creation process. You could also create composite candles and place them all in one larger mass. Then by burning all of them together you controlled the duration, the rate of discharge and even intensity of a given aspect by lighting or snuffing it out.

That is also my experience. In Italian witchcraft the candles used are either 'neutral' in color (beeswax or pork fat) or black (colored with charcoal powder). Sometimes red.
The first witches with whom I learnt would not tolerate bought candles, except extreme cases. The candles are given an orientation through dressing them with herb-infused oils, and by lightly carving them with a needle.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#46 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

I know that petition papers underneath candles are common practice in Hoodoo. Granted they may (or may not) have the exact same thing you may have carved into the candle, since they (the petition papers) have a specific tradition that's usually followed when composing and placing them (petition papers). It's considered "reinforcement" in simple terms.

____
I dunno. You carve it with your desire and then further reinforce it via a spell paper? Does this not seem to be a lack of confidence in the preparation and carving of the candle while infusing it with your desire?
Hmmm, simple terms eh - okay...in simple terms, it seems to me that there must be another reason other than "reinforcement".

#47 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:10 PM

Just pondering on my part but it suggests two elements being utilized to set the spell.

Inscribing upon the candle and transmutation via flame into energy and action is one aspect. Yet writing it upon paper suggests the usage of earth energy and how earth and fire create an overlap of two sources to actually create an inbetween condition. Physically we'd call it lava as it is both earth and fire, it consumes and transmutes it at the same time but it's never fully destroyed as it either cools to form something else or returns to its molten state and continues to react long after the initial creation has been consumed.

Figure in most instances there is ash from the paper and residue wax from the candle that can be burnt again and again until they are destroyed. Yet seldom will a single action completely destroy both so nothing remains. Even if added to a flame pit ash will remain in some capacity until another element further destroys and changes it, usually water.
Edited to add for the purist it would be Magma while in the chamber and lava once ejected from the magma chamber where the cooling will take place.

Edited by monsnoleedra, 05 May 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#48 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

Figure in most instances there is ash from the paper and residue wax from the candle that can be burnt again and again until they are destroyed. Yet seldom will a single action completely destroy both so nothing remains. Even if added to a flame pit ash will remain in some capacity until another element further destroys and changes it, usually water.
Edited to add for the purist it would be Magma while in the chamber and lava once ejected from the magma chamber where the cooling will take place.

The way I know it, never a piece of paper is set under the candle. If there is something written on paper, this is either burnt on the candle or passed over the flame, and normally fumigated and sometimes kept for talismanic purposes. When the paper is burnt, the ashes may be used in bags and such.
Always from my humble experience, which is limited to Italian witchcraft, rarely the purpose is carved on the candles.
Carvings may be names, signs, sigils or words of power but I've never seen sentences.

With regards to African Voudou, I've never seen candles used in any of these ways.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#49 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:58 PM

____
I dunno. You carve it with your desire and then further reinforce it via a spell paper? Does this not seem to be a lack of confidence in the preparation and carving of the candle while infusing it with your desire?
Hmmm, simple terms eh - okay...in simple terms, it seems to me that there must be another reason other than "reinforcement".

Here's an example of a honey jar spell used in Hoodoo that utilizes a petition paper. As you can see, the petition papers are supposed to be done in a very specific manner. It's just their tradition.
http://www.luckymojo.com/honeyjar.html#jarandcandle

Here's a thread on the Lucky Mojo Forum just about petition papers and questions regarding petition papers.
http://forum.luckymojo.com/post167383.html#p167383

That forum is filled w/great info regarding Hoodoo spells- you can search through it and you'll see lots of spells where people use petition papers under their candles (some carved, some not carved). There's not quite as much improve in Hoodoo like there is in traditional witchcraft. It's just their tradition. I hope that makes sense. I was taught within their tradition that petition papers used under carved candles act as a type of reinforcement. Then there's a specific way in which you're supposed to dispose of the remains/leftovers after the spell is done.

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#50 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:36 PM

Here's an example of a honey jar spell used in Hoodoo that utilizes a petition paper. As you can see, the petition papers are supposed to be done in a very specific manner. It's just their tradition.
http://www.luckymojo.com/honeyjar.html#jarandcandle

Here's a thread on the Lucky Mojo Forum just about petition papers and questions regarding petition papers.
http://forum.luckymojo.com/post167383.html#p167383

That forum is filled w/great info regarding Hoodoo spells- you can search through it and you'll see lots of spells where people use petition papers under their candles (some carved, some not carved). There's not quite as much improve in Hoodoo like there is in traditional witchcraft. It's just their tradition. I hope that makes sense. I was taught within their tradition that petition papers used under carved candles act as a type of reinforcement. Then there's a specific way in which you're supposed to dispose of the remains/leftovers after the spell is done.

________
That is a good forum for their specific style of Hoodoo...lots of info. I use to go there often, but thanks anyway for the links :)

I have a decent knowledge of Hoodoo (not all forms of it though),and I am aware that there are different forms of paper spells, and others that incorporate a paper into the overall spell, but that is not what I was speaking of, which was...to carve a candle, and do a paper with the same wording as on the candle or at least the intent of the words, does not, imo, make or ensure any better, the results of the spell. It might even make it weaker based on demonstrating a lack of confidence in the spell that one has to write it twice, but that is just my opinion. Each to their own.

#51 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:23 AM

No problem. :smile: I posted the links bc if you waded through them (even though that can be a pain in the ass over there) you'll find people whose petition papers include something they carved on the candle.

I do have a question though- what do you mean by "their" type of Hoodoo? I'm not familiar w/more than one form of it. Granted people may do things a different way than tradition within their individual practice, but I'm not familiar with more than one type of Hoodoo. Vodou, yes- but not Hoodoo.

#52 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:54 PM

To Autumn Moon:

In the Hoodoo tradition, it is essential that a sympathetic link be established between the target of your magic and the working you do. A picture serves, and can replace, such things as name papers. Pin a picture on the candles face, carve a name into it, use hair, blood, tears, whatever..it all serves the same purpose.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#53 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:07 AM

To Autumn Moon:

In the Hoodoo tradition, it is essential that a sympathetic link be established between the target of your magic and the working you do. A picture serves, and can replace, such things as name papers. Pin a picture on the candles face, carve a name into it, use hair, blood, tears, whatever..it all serves the same purpose.

Thanks Aurelian..yes, I am aware of the like unto like, link/connection, and I am aware of the options you mention. My post, was about duplicity between carving the words on the candle, and then making a paper for the candle, with the same words on it.

#54 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:11 AM

No problem. :smile: I posted the links bc if you waded through them (even though that can be a pain in the ass over there) you'll find people whose petition papers include something they carved on the candle.

I do have a question though- what do you mean by "their" type of Hoodoo? I'm not familiar w/more than one form of it. Granted people may do things a different way than tradition within their individual practice, but I'm not familiar with more than one type of Hoodoo. Vodou, yes- but not Hoodoo.

____
I'm not an expert on Hoodoo history, but from what I understand via research, is that differences in the way of doing things exist between various geographical regions, and then there are Hoodoo Family ways of doing things. Cat has her way. From what I have read, some Hoodoo people agree with it, some do not. Perhaps, I should have been more specific than 'their'.

Aurelian, perhaps could weigh in on this, as I think Hoodoo is his path.

#55 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:18 AM

Thanks Aurelian..yes, I am aware of the like unto like, link/connection, and I am aware of the options you mention. My post, was about duplicity between carving the words on the candle, and then making a paper for the candle, with the same words on it.

I've never done that...but I am not an expert at Hoodoo, just a sideline practitioner of it....

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#56 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:41 AM

____
I'm not an expert on Hoodoo history, but from what I understand via research, is that differences in the way of doing things exist between various geographical regions, and then there are Hoodoo Family ways of doing things. Cat has her way. From what I have read, some Hoodoo people agree with it, some do not. Perhaps, I should have been more specific than 'their'.

Aurelian, perhaps could weigh in on this, as I think Hoodoo is his path.

Ohhh that's what you meant! Ok that I understand. Sure everyone has a slightly different way of doing things from a geographical perspective. What's interesting to me it that it started in the South and she's from CA and is based out of CA, lol. There are plenty of root workers who do things slightly different from one another, so perhaps the regional aspect you mentioned accounts for some of those discrepancies.

I go to my mentor anyway, not Cat when I have a question.

#57 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:43 AM

@AM- I'm not one of those "us or them" when it comes to Hoodoo regarding her and her way of doing things. I respect and even utilize plenty of sources outside of her site/forum, etc. :)

#58 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:47 AM

Hoodoo is ahh....one of my paths. I have magical ADHD.

Cat is protestant, and thus does not speak for the entire hoodoo community, no matter how strong her opinions.

#59 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:49 AM

Hoodoo is ahh....one of my paths. I have magical ADHD.

Cat is protestant, and thus does not speak for the entire hoodoo community, no matter how strong her opinions.

Exactly!! That's what I meant when I said I'm not an "us or them" kind of person. I've seen them. They are kinda crazy. I actually got banned from that forum even though I wasn't a regular poster. :twisted_witch:

#60 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:56 AM

@AM- I'm not one of those "us or them" when it comes to Hoodoo regarding her and her way of doing things. I respect and even utilize plenty of sources outside of her site/forum, etc. :smile:

--------
Yes, me too...as with everything I do. A manager once said to me 'you don't fly with the rest of the crows', and his assessment was bang on.