• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 ShadowKing

ShadowKing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:50 AM

I know most traditional practices on burning candles. It was something old I had left over, I am honestly just trying to find a use for it. I feel ive found one, not necessarily following the guidelines from some little booklet I will return to my own trad. to guide me in using candles even if they appear to be silly or stupid.

Edited by Hecataeus, 03 May 2015 - 04:51 AM.

"We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! " -Endora

#22 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:15 AM

I personally think a lot of the figurine candle usage derives from basic constructs such as Poppets, Dolls & Dollies, Minor constructs such as your basic golems and sympathetic symbology such as Japanese Haniwa (sp) figures or even Egyptian tomb and body figurines. For certain those type usages go well back into history.

Sort of going off track but I wonder if the Disapora or Granny type magics use a lot of food constructs. I know growing up that we boys were always warned about eating at a girls house by our female elders. Didn't know what spells or charms might have been carved into something like a potato and then added to the blend. Good or bad could come of it though I saw less and less of that as I got older and we had less to do with family or older generation was dying. I suppose the same could be created via soap creation and such as many families used to make their own soap and other house hold items.

Sorry off topic there but the response triggered it in my head.

​A lot of the root work, Hoodoo, sympathetic magic and App Granny Magic I've been taught does indeed use a lot of food constructs. A majority of spells I've learned/acquired over the years from these subsets employ the use of food- good and bad alike.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#23 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:12 PM

My teachings were similar, BWR

I was also taught never to eat at someone's house, and my brothers were doubly warned. My dad rreeaalllyy freaked out about red sauce or any roux that may be served, fearing an infusion of blood or philters.

That being said, my best method of catching a man is to make him lasagna, lol.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#24 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:17 PM

My teachings were similar, BWR

I was also taught never to eat at someone's house, and my brothers were doubly warned. My dad rreeaalllyy freaked out about red sauce or any roux that may be served, fearing an infusion of blood or philters.

That being said, my best method of catching a man is to make him lasagna, lol.

People always say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. he he he

#25 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

Ok so far I've gotten this dug out of a book on candle magic I got from the library.

Red Witch: Feminine primal powers (menstral blood), Magical Secrets, Luck

Black Witch: night magic, hexing and hex reversal

burn with a small slip of paper describing your desire the witch will help cast your spell.

Return that candle, IMO, no point in spending a lot of money on something with...entirely dubious qualities. The occult store people are...not whom I would go to for magical advice. Just my opinion.

___
My question is perhaps a tiny bit OT, but I've always wondered why a practitioner would carve on a candle and then place a paper underneath saying the same spell? Is it not a bit redundant? This is not a criticism...I'm just wondering. If the spell is more intricate than can fit on the candle, then I can see why one would use a paper spell under the candle, with the idea that the flame of the candle helps to power the spell, but if the carved candle and the paper say the same thing...?

#26 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

I know most traditional practices on burning candles. It was something old I had left over, I am honestly just trying to find a use for it. I feel ive found one, not necessarily following the guidelines from some little booklet I will return to my own trad. to guide me in using candles even if they appear to be silly or stupid.

Any particular reason why you're trying to find a use for it now since you've had it for a while? Are you moved to do so?

I usually read those little booklets for fun and giggles.

Now you've got me uber curious. What is your trad? And what silly thing do you plan on doing with it? (And I highly doubt I'll think it's silly). The energetic currents behind some of the fluffiest and most new agey sounding things are quite powerful if one can access them.

I had another thought. What if the 'looks like it wants to hex someone' is actually a different emotion than that? It would be displeased if it has a purpose and people are seriously considering using it for something else.

Anyways, the thought is that if you feel that's an accurate representation of you - you can use it that way as well.

I'm way too young to be a Crone. But I am. I have a new found LOVE for this image of the Witch.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#27 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

___
My question is perhaps a tiny bit OT, but I've always wondered why a practitioner would carve on a candle and then place a paper underneath saying the same spell? Is it not a bit redundant? This is not a criticism...I'm just wondering. If the spell is more intricate than can fit on the candle, then I can see why one would use a paper spell under the candle, with the idea that the flame of the candle helps to power the spell, but if the carved candle and the paper say the same thing...?

I've seem this when:

- people aren't sure they can actually hit their target.

- someone is hyper-focused and used to intensify.

- that's how they were taught

- don't know that the repitition isn't actually necesary

It can be very useful in early spellwork.

In more involved spell work they have very different purposes and are different parts of the whole.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#28 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

Of course one also has to consider the older practice of writing things out and rolling the scroll and creating the candle about the scroll. Makes for a long process at times unless you do a taper type candle with multiple dippings to form it. You can also use hand heat and rolling to make the perafin (sp) pliable and work it about the scroll but that can take some time. Though you can also heat it in water and pour it onto the rolled scroll that was placed in a used candle jar or sand mold.

Of course that assumes one is using the scroll as the wick or actually rolling a wick inside the scroll so the candle will burn.

Edited by monsnoleedra, 03 May 2015 - 02:52 PM.

#29 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:40 PM

I've seem this when:

- people aren't sure they can actually hit their target.

- someone is hyper-focused and used to intensify.

- that's how they were taught

- don't know that the repitition isn't actually necesary

It can be very useful in early spellwork.

In more involved spell work they have very different purposes and are different parts of the whole.

____
I've tried both, but I use another method, where the only thing that gets inscribed on the candle is the name and birth date of whom the spell is to affect. Personal concerns are added to the candle. I would use a picture of the person under the candle or beside the candle for certain kinds of spells. If I don't have any of those, then I go with what I do have.

I guess what you mentioned about repetition would explain it. Repetition is good, but I use another method other than inscribing and writing out on paper, to infuse the candle with my desire.

When you say more involved spell work...that is what I mean't by a more intricate spell.

#30 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:41 PM

Of course one also has to consider the older practice of writing things out and rolling the scroll and creating the candle about the scroll. Makes for a long process at times unless you do a taper type candle with multiple dippings to form it. You can also use hand heat and rolling to make the perafin (sp) pliable and work it about the scroll but that can take some time. Though you can also heat it in water and pour it onto the rolled scroll that was placed in a used candle jar or sand mold.

Of course that assumes one is using the scroll as the wick or actually rolling a wick inside the scroll so the candle will burn.

____
Interesting take on a paper/candle spell.

#31 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

____
Interesting take on a paper/candle spell.

When I was first taught making our own candles and such was the only way. We'd get smacked if we even considered a store purchased candle as you never knew the quality of the candle. I always figured we put the intent into writing the script and creating the scroll and then inbedding it in wax allowed us to consider our desire as well as give it that extra umph as our anger, love, hate, etc physically was applied to the creation process. You could also create composite candles and place them all in one larger mass. Then by burning all of them together you controlled the duration, the rate of discharge and even intensity of a given aspect by lighting or snuffing it out.

#32 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:16 PM

When I was first taught making our own candles and such was the only way. We'd get smacked if we even considered a store purchased candle as you never knew the quality of the candle. I always figured we put the intent into writing the script and creating the scroll and then inbedding it in wax allowed us to consider our desire as well as give it that extra umph as our anger, love, hate, etc physically was applied to the creation process. You could also create composite candles and place them all in one larger mass. Then by burning all of them together you controlled the duration, the rate of discharge and even intensity of a given aspect by lighting or snuffing it out.

____
Makes sense. There certainly are some junk candles out there. I find that coloured ones are the worst...at least the ones I've come across. I found one brand of white candles that is excellent quality and burn and my closet is stocked full of them, lol.

I think the paper chosen to write on and then burn as a wick, would have to be a certain type and done a certain way, for it to burn well, and the wax would have to be good quality. Sounds like a project needing a lot of skill at candle making (and a lot of work and time).

#33 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:54 PM

so I bought a red witch candle I was told it was used in love spells, when I looked at it I knew it could me used for something more than just love crafting. Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated.

Yes Red Witch Candle can be use more than just Love Crafting, you can also use it for any workings that require Strength or Growth in any aspect. It is really a versatile candle although they work very well with Love, Lust and Attraction Workings.

"Some People Have A Gift For Stupidity, An Almost Mystic Ability To Withstand Any Form Of Logic"

output_dLSIE3.gif

#34 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

____
Makes sense. There certainly are some junk candles out there. I find that coloured ones are the worst...at least the ones I've come across. I found one brand of white candles that is excellent quality and burn and my closet is stocked full of them, lol.

I think the paper chosen to write on and then burn as a wick, would have to be a certain type and done a certain way, for it to burn well, and the wax would have to be good quality. Sounds like a project needing a lot of skill at candle making (and a lot of work and time).

I can assure you there where lots of misfires in my youth. he he he Twinkle candles made from honey bee combs actually worked really well but was expensive and hard to come by. I think part of the issue with candles though is almost all of them are petroleum based so give off a black sooty smoke and residue. I know when the scroll was made into a wick it was also coated in wax and wound as tight as we could make it and I vaguely recall sort of a flash paper that burnt slow because of the wax but relatively hot and fast because of it being flash type paper. Another type of paper that worked fairly well was carbon paper where you etched the spell into it and potentially upon the wax to be used. that stuff used to burn pretty easily and quickly itself but made one heck of a mess.

Sad part, to me anyway, is its a skill set that if you don't use it you do loose it except for surface knowledge.

I tend to dislike the aroma candles and that seems to be mainly what you find with colored ones when I've gone searching. Have to admit though the deep forest green and it's smell worked really well.

#35 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,039 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:37 PM

___

Re putting a spell under a candle, I'm of the opinion that it makes more sense to burn the paper on which the wording is written in the candle flame to transform it and send it on its way. That said, I did once place a spell under a candle and the whole thing sat in a bowl of melted chocolate, cinnamon, and honey for a week (don't ask,lol - ), but the candle was burned by itself after the week (sans the written paper) and what the ants and dog had not eaten of the bowl contents was chucked in the garbage. Interestingly enough, the spell did work, although I cant say I'd do it that way again (without a can of Raid anyway, lol)...

M

#36 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:07 AM

I can assure you there where lots of misfires in my youth. he he he Twinkle candles made from honey bee combs actually worked really well but was expensive and hard to come by. I think part of the issue with candles though is almost all of them are petroleum based so give off a black sooty smoke and residue. I know when the scroll was made into a wick it was also coated in wax and wound as tight as we could make it and I vaguely recall sort of a flash paper that burnt slow because of the wax but relatively hot and fast because of it being flash type paper. Another type of paper that worked fairly well was carbon paper where you etched the spell into it and potentially upon the wax to be used. that stuff used to burn pretty easily and quickly itself but made one heck of a mess.

Sad part, to me anyway, is its a skill set that if you don't use it you do loose it except for surface knowledge.

I tend to dislike the aroma candles and that seems to be mainly what you find with colored ones when I've gone searching. Have to admit though the deep forest green and it's smell worked really well.

I like my candles to be scent free too...allergies and whatnot. I find that coloured ones burn weird, ie. so much of the wax just doesn't burn, and leaves a huge mess of wax at the end.

#37 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:13 AM

Re putting a spell under a candle, I'm of the opinion that it makes more sense to burn the paper on which the wording is written in the candle flame to transform it and send it on its way. That said, I did once place a spell under a candle and the whole thing sat in a bowl of melted chocolate, cinnamon, and honey for a week (don't ask,lol - ), but the candle was burned by itself after the week (sans the written paper) and what the ants and dog had not eaten of the bowl contents was chucked in the garbage. Interestingly enough, the spell did work, although I cant say I'd do it that way again (without a can of Raid anyway, lol)...

M

#38 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,039 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:16 AM

:teehee:

#39 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:00 AM

M

That must be a Sweet Trick working on your Mojo...

I like my candles to be scent free too...allergies and whatnot. I find that coloured ones burn weird, ie. so much of the wax just doesn't burn, and leaves a huge mess of wax at the end.

Some candles are really of dubious quality these days using synthetic materials, I bought a box of unheard brand scented votives, instead of smelling good during burning, it give out sooty smoke, i realised their wick is wrapped in a layer of rubber or plastic material perhaps to prolong their burning duration as their wax might not be so lasting. Even my Airpurifier indicate the air quality is affected when i burn them it almost like smoking pollution in the air with the indicator light turning red alert. In the end i just use them for outdoor burning.

Beewax candles are simply too costly, Tallow candles are hard to procure, soy candles seems to be the better alternative choice.

:teehee:

As long as things goes your way that's all we need to know. :vhappywitch:

"Some People Have A Gift For Stupidity, An Almost Mystic Ability To Withstand Any Form Of Logic"

output_dLSIE3.gif

#40 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

I'm way too young to be a Crone. But I am. I have a new found LOVE for this image of the Witch.

Well you know as long as you're young I'd bet this is the perfect time to pick up an apprentice :whistling:

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: candle, magic