• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowKing

ShadowKing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:45 PM

so I bought a red witch candle I was told it was used in love spells, when I looked at it I knew it could me used for something more than just love crafting. Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated.
"We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! " -Endora

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:55 PM

what's a red witch candle?

M

#3 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

M

I know in Wicca candle lore red / pink are associated to love spells and workings. On the surface that's what it suggests to me. But since i'm not Wiccan can't go much further than that with it. I do know lots of candle lore color correlations have been plastered on the net over the years though all i've ever been able to back track originated from Wiccan authors.

#4 ShadowKing

ShadowKing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

Posted Image

Most figure candles have their origins in Hoodoo or Voudun

M

Edited by Hecataeus, 02 May 2015 - 02:53 PM.

"We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! " -Endora

#5 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:38 PM

In my experience most white Voodoo, Voudon, Santeria type practitioners have colored candles. Those I've known who were taught by family or ethnic practitioners never used many candles, especially in gris gris bag creations, curses or general works. Then add the notion that all of the afro-caribbean so called disapora practices really didn't make the book market until later in the 90's and nearly every author is white and writing from what they saw not written by actual practitioners. In that regard it's pretty much akin to how white people observed 1st nation and aboriginal practices and "Translated" what they saw and assumed what it meant.

Have to admit though I've seen a lot of those candles that passed into hoodoo, voodoo, voudon, santeria mockups, or general pagan practices since the mid 90's etc due to Dia De Muertos or Day of the Dead celebrations.

Granted the one's i've known over the years where Louisiana breed and born practitioners and the only candle items might deal with Santeria and how it incorporated Christian perspectives to hide what was being done.

#6 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:01 PM

IMHO if you want to use a red candle for love spells I would use an Adam and Eve candle, one that corresponds to the sex of the intended and one for yourself. Some come to me oil, essence of bend over or something like some magnetic sand being fed on the altar would work as well.

Witch candles are pretty universal, but like Mons said, I don't really use candles a lot in hoodoo work. I make a lot of mojo and Grisgris bags, jar spells like honey and sour jars, doll babies, shoe papers and mojo hands and the like.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#7 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:27 PM

That candle just looks like it wants to hex someone.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#8 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:31 PM

Actually, Mons, candles have been personalized for a looooooong time, either by carving them with a knife or by shaping with a hot nail. The most common, standard figural candles, man, woman, devil, etc, became available when mass produced molded candles were retailed by mail-order spiritual supply houses in the beginning of the last century. So they've been around a lot longer than the 1970's, although they certainly became popular with the larger community at large was exposed to the various published candle-burning booklets(some good, some total shite) published at that time.

I have never seen one shaped as a witch though..no idea. If you had another witch hex you, you could carve the persons name(or if unknown, "enemy," etc) backwards on the candle, place it on top of a mirror, and burn it down...that's a traditional reversal method.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#9 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:55 PM

This mom-n-pop occult grocery in Houston by my old place in Acres Homes used to sell the shit out of them, black, red and white. It was called something like 7 Powers Family Voodoo Grocery or some such, it was off Kuykendahl and 249 in Houston, TX if anyone is ever in that part of the world, but I can't seem to find it on google. That is the only other place I have ever seen them. They had the Baphomet candles, Adam and Eve, the genitalia shaped ones, all sorts. Not to mention baths and roots, Florida water, all sorts of cool shit. That was almost 10 years ago, ah how I miss the big city....

But back to the OP even though the witch candle is not something I have used before, Aurelian is pretty spot on (as usual, just saying!). Candle carving is a common practice, not just for that particular figural candle. Names, sigils, and the like can be put on to the candle and burned on a daily basis for weeks or months on end, depending upon the need. Things can also be placed inside drilled holes and sealed with melted wax, which works quite well.

Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#10 Ogga

Ogga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:15 PM

Keep it in stock til you know what you want it for...thats probably what I would do....
even if it took 10 years or something.

But I guess you want to use it now...so...
I am much into symbolism...so I would first check out color-symbolism and
color-psychology (how different colors effect the mind) then I would find the
purpose of the candle.

So lets se... A red candle...
Red (symbolism): Red is one of the most basic colors since its the color of blod. Some lingvists think
that red is one of the first colors that got a name. Red in the western world can mean blood, danger,
stop, life/death, love, lust, passion, anger, fire, war, violence, hate, warning. Its also the color for royality
(probably because of the roman caesar wore purpur) To mention some.

Red (psychology): Red is energizing and influence us to take action. A room painted entirely in red feels
a couple of degrees warmer than one pained blue, even thou the temperature is the same. Red could
make you feel hungrier and stressful especially together with yellow (I guess McDonalds chose their colors
wisely). To much red in our surroundings can make us irritated, stressed and sometimes angry. People that
chose between two equal leaders tend to chose the one dressed partly in red. To mention some.

From this and the shape of the candle, Aurelians idea is quite good. If thats not what you want o use the candle
for i sugests you carve your own name in it and burn it as an pre-ritual to another work of yours to get more
energy. Or maybe as a curse...then I would carve it with the name of my target (mayby crossed with my intention),
sigils of my intention, put pins in it and dress it in war water and burn it outside the targets door.

Just my 2 c...from the symbolism/psychology examples I wrote you probably can find something better to use it
for. God luck.

(Edit=spelling)

Edited by Ogga, 02 May 2015 - 06:22 PM.

#11 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

Actually, Mons, candles have been personalized for a looooooong time, either by carving them with a knife or by shaping with a hot nail. The most common, standard figural candles, man, woman, devil, etc, became available when mass produced molded candles were retailed by mail-order spiritual supply houses in the beginning of the last century. So they've been around a lot longer than the 1970's, although they certainly became popular with the larger community at large was exposed to the various published candle-burning booklets(some good, some total shite) published at that time.

I have never seen one shaped as a witch though..no idea. If you had another witch hex you, you could carve the persons name(or if unknown, "enemy," etc) backwards on the candle, place it on top of a mirror, and burn it down...that's a traditional reversal method.

I'll take your word for it as that's way more your balliwick than mine. I just know a couple of the places I visited while I was in Florida and such and those I knew in the military who hailed from New Orleans families all swore they did not use candles. One store owner actually said they carried candles for the tourist not for actual people living or practicing in the area. Sort of how many Native American stores carry things simply for the tourist and not something that would actually be used by the people themselves.

I know when I used candles color nor shape mattered it was all about what we inscribed or symbols we carved into them. In that capacity its all about flame and transmutation / transformation vice color usage. But admit for us it would be more derived from Native Practices and root workings, etc that we used.

But as I said I defer to your greater experience in this arena.

#12 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:05 PM

Hoodoo, Conjure and Rootwork practices are regional, just like in witchcraft. I cannot speak for floridian rootworkers, as I've never been to that state, but Anjelwolf, a Floridian, and one of the old contributors to the site, posted some beastly candle workings in the spells section, and some of her practices were most certainly recognizable as conjure.

I have great doubt that in the old timey times practitioners used colored candles, and it's arguable that in trad craft only white, black, and red are traditional, and that color magic is new age....each person will have to make their own determination on that. I think synthetic candle dyes are pretty modern, but a colored candle doesn't cost anything more than a plain one these days. To me it makes no difference at all, I'm happy with plain white.

Anyways, people are burning up candles like mad all over the place now.

As a note, one doesn't need to actually burn figural candles, they can be used simply for image magic, like poppets...wax dollies, anyone? So this is not simply a hoodoo practice, it goes waaaay back before modern hoodoo. My personal favorites though are devil and skull candles, I know some beastly things to do with those :)

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#13 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:59 PM

Oh, please do share. Even if it's in pm. You can be deliciously twisted. :)

Yeah, Wex - I think so, too.

My first thought was that would make a hell of a candle to throw your own hex at a witch. My second was offensive defense against someone who attacked you. It'll be destroyed as it melts down. Ouch.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#14 ShadowKing

ShadowKing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

Ok so far I've gotten this dug out of a book on candle magic I got from the library.

Red Witch: Feminine primal powers (menstral blood), Magical Secrets, Luck

Black Witch: night magic, hexing and hex reversal

burn with a small slip of paper describing your desire the witch will help cast your spell.

#15 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:39 PM

Rose, as soon as our few new hoodoo practitioners are upgraded, I will be more than happy to discuss there darker sides of hoodoo with you, and I'm quite sure these ladies will have a lot to offer. We can Resurrect the Hoodoo subforum!

What I could share with you would be somewhat limited, but not at all uneducational....

I thoght you were clinging to the light with your last breath, though! :vhappywitch:

#16 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:43 PM

Ok so far I've gotten this dug out of a book on candle magic I got from the library.

Red Witch: Feminine primal powers (menstral blood), Magical Secrets, Luck

Black Witch: night magic, hexing and hex reversal

burn with a small slip of paper describing your desire the witch will help cast your spell.

Return that candle, IMO, no point in spending a lot of money on something with...entirely dubious qualities. The occult store people are...not whom I would go to for magical advice. Just my opinion.

#17 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:50 PM

Yeah, well, life's finally leveling out. I'm finding my balance again so - no need for clinging at the moment. It's a nice feeling. Besides, I have some justice to exact now that I've had a chance to calm down. :)

Waiting is an awesome idea. I know very little about hoodoo and less about voodoo and atr's. It's fascinating.

H - as a biological male - I would recommend avoiding fucking with women's mysteries. That usually doesn't turn out too well.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#18 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:19 AM

Posted Image

Most figure candles have their origins in Hoodoo or Voudun

Oh cool - it's a LITERAL red witch candle!!!!! (What's a red witch candle, ummm.... its a red witch candle, lol)

M

Edited by Michele, 03 May 2015 - 01:24 AM.

#19 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:59 AM

I will be happy to give you some info about hoodoo if you like, RR

Feel free to PM me some questions

#20 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:25 AM

Hoodoo, Conjure and Rootwork practices are regional, just like in witchcraft. I cannot speak for floridian rootworkers, as I've never been to that state, but Anjelwolf, a Floridian, and one of the old contributors to the site, posted some beastly candle workings in the spells section, and some of her practices were most certainly recognizable as conjure.

I have great doubt that in the old timey times practitioners used colored candles, and it's arguable that in trad craft only white, black, and red are traditional, and that color magic is new age....each person will have to make their own determination on that. I think synthetic candle dyes are pretty modern, but a colored candle doesn't cost anything more than a plain one these days. To me it makes no difference at all, I'm happy with plain white.

Anyways, people are burning up candles like mad all over the place now.

As a note, one doesn't need to actually burn figural candles, they can be used simply for image magic, like poppets...wax dollies, anyone? So this is not simply a hoodoo practice, it goes waaaay back before modern hoodoo. My personal favorites though are devil and skull candles, I know some beastly things to do with those :smile:

I personally think a lot of the figurine candle usage derives from basic constructs such as Poppets, Dolls & Dollies, Minor constructs such as your basic golems and sympathetic symbology such as Japanese Haniwa (sp) figures or even Egyptian tomb and body figurines. For certain those type usages go well back into history.

Sort of going off track but I wonder if the Disapora or Granny type magics use a lot of food constructs. I know growing up that we boys were always warned about eating at a girls house by our female elders. Didn't know what spells or charms might have been carved into something like a potato and then added to the blend. Good or bad could come of it though I saw less and less of that as I got older and we had less to do with family or older generation was dying. I suppose the same could be created via soap creation and such as many families used to make their own soap and other house hold items.

Sorry off topic there but the response triggered it in my head.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: candle, magic