• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

Hope all your plants have had better weather than mine. A handful of killing frosts hit later than expected this year. We made it through with out loosing much, but it was a close thing for a lot.

We had a cold, wet and rainy April, which followed an abnormally balmy February and March. I accidentally left my lemon tree on the patio during some of the coldest nights, and it's flourishing somehow! I guess we didn't get frost like I thought we had. I'm glad you didn't lose too much!

I decided to start some morning glories and moonflowers, so far so good, but then I accidentally tipped over one of the pots and disturbed some rooting moonflowers. We'll see how they do :/ 

Also started some galangal from a store-bought rhizome, not sure what to expect from it, or how long I should give it to sprout.

Edited by Madame, 15 May 2017 - 09:21 PM.

#22 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:29 PM

Well we've had a hard frost followed by two good freezes over the past two weeks. So the less cold tolerant plants have finished up here. The cabbage family, greens, and hardier herbs are holding on. For me its time to get things redded up and plan and prepare for the next planting season.

It was a bit of a tough year, but we did well enough. It was particularly good for tomatoes and herbs. While the orchard fruit and gourds struggled. All said we got enough put up that this winter should be easy going.

I'm curious how the year has been for the rest of you?

#23 Holdasown

Holdasown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

We only did tomatoes and they just stopped producing which is really late for her but we had 80 degrees Saturday, lol. I am getting ready to put in the tulip bulbs and I want to try garlic and onions so they will go in too. I also have a pineapple to plant but it will need to be indoors. I found out they take 18 months but I refuse to not plant it. Since I am doing the pineapple I may try to start some herbs and mugwort in pots in the house 

#24 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:03 PM

Good to hear the tomatoes did well for you and the weather turned in your favor. I'm looking at getting the garlic and onions ready myself. I find having a patch of garlic particularly rewording.

I started some lemons and oranges just as the year started that are now indoor plants till spring. But, I've never tried bringing up a pineapple. It seems like it could be worth while.

Mugwort I had not grown for several years. Then messaging a friend here a while back got it in my head again. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed its company. I have it growing on the bank overlooking my personal garden where I take launch and one in a pot on my writing desk. I fond it low maintenance and just pleasant to hang around. That's one I would likely keep it around without any benefits as an herb.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gardening, plants