23 replies to this topic

#1 NightOwl

NightOwl

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:37 PM

Hey garden witches, what are you putting in the ground (or containers)?

I moved to a new house last year and didn't have time to do a whole lot of planting, so I am making up for that this year. The former owners had lots of ugly little shrubs, mondo grass, and tons of lawn. I tore the shrubs and mondo grass out and planted things will do a little better (Texas is not the easiest place to grow stuff). I am getting rid of the lawn, little by little - just doesn't make sense to have a lot of grass in a relatively semi-arid region. I am right this minute working on a butterfly/hummingbird garden and a moon garden. Oh, and replacing my annual herbs and the rosemary and lavenders that were killed by our extreme winter weather.

Off to work. :witch_bounce: :vhappywitch:

"The world is full of  magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper." - W.B. Yeats

#2 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:53 PM

My wife has been doing most of the planting - we just have a patio with a bunch of pots, so not as much as I would like to grow, but a nice start for now!

Mostly food like kale and snap peas and lots of herbs like lavender and and the usual stuff....

I did just plant some datura though - two different kinds and I am really excited about them! Started germinating them on the equinox which was a new moon, and then I planted them on the following full moon which was a blood moon - so I think these ones are gonna be good teachers!

Otherwise been foraging a little as well..... Going into the Hoh rainforest this weekend for backpacking to gather a bunch of devils club - some for tea and some for tincture!

#3 HeathenWitch

HeathenWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:55 PM

I have a ton that we plan. We have a huge garden with veggies, but my strictly magical garden includes:

Sunflowers, lavender, mugwort, wormwood, borage, rosemary, catnip, thyme, basil, lovage, feverfew, mint, lemongrass, datura, assorted wildflowers, and angel's trumpet.

These are separated between my front flower bed and my back patio/ outdoor altar. I'll have lots of pictures once everything is going strong.

#4 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:39 PM

To say that I'm excited to be gardening this year is an understatement! I've finally experienced all of the seasons at my new[ish] home, and also have the resources to design, build, and maintain a proper garden this year. I did a bit of container planting last year, and will be doing a combination of container and in-ground gardening this year.

My witchy and medicinal garden includes:
- Wormwood, comfrey, skullcap, datura

The foodstuffs for this year will be:
- Peas (2 kinds), carrots (2 varieties), collard greens, hot peppers, and possibly some potatoes

My property has a lot of wild goodies that I will be tending to as well, for witchy and culinary purposes:
- Lingonberries, wild chamomile, plantago, clover, monskhood, and mushrooms (medicinal and psychedelic)

#5 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:57 AM

I have not a garden nor much space in my flat, so I've had to go with some basil for the summer, thyme, heathen, chilly peppers.
It's warmer though,and I can go around harvesting wild herbs much more easily :)

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#6 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:16 AM

I have a balcony which limits me a bit. So far I have some meadow thyme, mountain thyme, heather, & sage. I've plans to collect wildflowers and orchids at some point... but... I wield a black thumb, as my indoor plants are finding out, so I may have to put off true gardening till I have some land and I can learn how it all works. No need to grow anything I can collect at the moment, so less pressure to try too. Would love some easy hardy things like mint and wild strawberries though.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#7 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:50 PM

Ours is only a city garden, but is chockfull of plants, with only a tiny swatch of grass lawn. Strawberry and violet lawn if I'm being honest, but there is some grass there too. Many gardeners have lived here, but I do have a little annual area where I will put in my tomatoes and peppers, and a few greens. I do have a few herbs that only specialty gardeners of our sort would be likey to plant (curate? host?) but the sheer abundance of nomal plantings overshadows that. As I mentioned elsewhere, I mean to try with mandrake again this year.
Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#8 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:27 PM

Veggies: tomatoes, jalepenos, gypsy peppers, beets, carrots, acorn squash, cucumbers, watermelon, leafy greens, pole beans
Herbs: chives, cilantro, rosemary (already an esablished patch out there), sweet mint, chamomile, feverfew, thyme, garlic, lavendar
Flowers: red sunflowers, poppies, wildflower (many are just coming in from last year, same with other varieties of sunflower since the seeds dropped everywhere), and ill probably also cheat a bit and just buy pots of flower arrangements for the polinators and hummingbirds.

My yard has gone a bit wild. Last year I got a LOT of surprise foods and flowers coming up everywhere. Corn, lavendar, and potatoes came in by the compost. The lavender died in the winter but thrived all last year. In another corner I have these amazingly bright purple flowers that look like perfect deep bowls with pointed petals on thin stems and long delicate leaves. I have no idea what they are but I have forbidden everyone from plucking a single one. Actually I just looked them up and they are Crocus flowers. I hope the little patch grows this year. I have more dandilions than grass so there is also an abundance of danilion flower, root and greens haha. Though I dont use the aerial parts of the plant so much anymore becuase I have dogs here now, and well...anything not in a garden bed has probably been pissed on.

#9 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

This is our first spring here and it's so hard waiting for everything to come up and see what we already have. We're doing a lot of moving things around - especially if they're not doing well where they are.

As far as planting - my Beloved just built a raised garden filled with green, red and yellow peppers, all different tomatoes, okra, carrots, green beans and a strawberry patch. (We have wild strawberries everywhere but the fruit is very bland).

I still have to put the seeds down for the morning glories and moonflowers, sunflowers and lavender.

I made one of those stacked clay planter for oregano, parsley (the one plant that I grow really well) and rosemary in the little one on top. I have lemon balm in a container.

The order from the nursery should be here next week. My elderberry is coming!!!!! Along with blueberries, roses (of course - this place will be a rose garden eventually LOL) and a lilac that's going outside Mom's bedroom window.

I am soooooooo excited and looking forward to the near future. It's a really nice change of pace.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#10 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:06 PM

My kitchen garden has lots of permanent herbs; mint, vervain, lavender, sages, thyme, comfrey, sorrell, rosemary, and elderberry ( yes I've moved the elderberry bushes yet again- hope they're happy there), some lucifer and a minature lilac.
Yesterday I planted sunflower, pumpkin, asters, canterberry bells and marigold around the edges- all from seed so... who knows... I'm hopeful... trying to keep the soil moist. I love this part; where the soil is perfect- before the weeds takeover and I can't tell the seedlings from the weeds- sometimes they look so much alike at the beginning!

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#11 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:11 AM

Once I have home Internet again I'll compile a list, too large to type out on my phone lol
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#12 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

I'll be getting my container garden started soon! I plan to have some columnar apple trees, tomatoes, culinary herbs and maybe a David Austin rosebush:) I think I might try my hand at growing mandrake, rue, and hyssop as well.

#13 Cameo

Cameo

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

I am struggling without having the large garden I have been used too. Even though I am in an apartment I am making the most out of my balcony space. Already planted is garlic, onion, calendula, amaranth, chamomile and lemon balm. Next is lettuces, kale, broccoli, zucchini, peas and cabbage. I have a strawberry hanging planter and a thing for growing tomatoes upside down, but I have to ask my landlord about that first. It snowed last week and I had to cover everything, so I have been hesitant about planting.

#14 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:18 PM

Broccoli, various peppers, various lettuce, cucumber, zucchini, tomatoes, bush beans, watermelon, spinach, chamomile, lavender, rosemary, chives, onions

#15 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:57 PM

I just got my little potted plant garden going last weekend. Right now, I've got: peppermint, catnip, chocolate mint, Moroccan mint (you can never have enough mints, chamomile, tea camellia, thyme, oregano, rosemary, lavender, tomatoes, dill, mustard, green sage, purple sage, cardamom, and wolfsbane.

I live on the second story of a duplex. I've got a few up on my balcony, but most are on my side of the front lawn. Which reminds me, me new neighbors are annoying, and I don't want them (nor their shrieking four-year old) touching my plants. So I need to let them know that, while most of the plants are edible, one of them will kill you! (They are not plant people, and if that doesn't get them to keep their damn kid away, I don't know what will.)

Edited by Duchess, 20 April 2017 - 12:09 AM.

#16 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:04 AM

Over this winter I was planning a relatively extensive balcony garden, taking advantage of our full sun position, only to find out come springtime that we have to move! 

Our new unit has a substantially larger patio, but we don't even know the exact unit we're getting to know what kind of lighting we'll have. I was originally going to grow cherry tomatoes, mint, basil, thyme, marjoram, summer savory, rosemary, and moonflowers as well as either keffir lime or Hardy Chicago fig in a big pot, but I'm not sure now what I'll end up with. If anyone has some great ideas for a light-to-full shade patio, I would be all ears! Galangal and/or ginger and some other tropicals are being considered already, but I'm unsure what interior lighting will be like for over wintering  -_- I have never had this challenge when gardening before, I usually had full sun everywhere.

#17 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

Keeping it simple this year mostly a lot of beans, kale, carrots, cabbage, and spinach but I do have an old datura plant, a couple of second year wormwood plants and a few pepper plants

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#18 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:13 PM

This is the first year I'm keeping any kind of garden, so this is going to be quite the learning experience. I'll have cherry tomatoes, zucchini, onions, bell peppers (haven't decided which yet), potatoes, lettuce, and maybe carrots. I'm also looking into what to plant to keep mosquitoes away and hopefully attract bees.

#19 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:11 PM

A few years work seems to be coming together this year. I have gardens at four locations in the area. These are large vegetable gardens and varying sizes of herb gardens and the orchard, along with plenty of wild to look after. The goal is in the next two years to grow enough to meet most of my folks needs, keep the wildlife fed and healthy, have enough for trade, and some back case the neighbors need a hand. Most are pretty common, so I won't run through the list, and just hit on a few that stand out to me this year.

Ginger, is new to me and is turning out a nice indoor project.

Yarrow, I'm bringing up from seed and some transplanted from wild.

Stinging Nettle, I was given a handful of seed and we will see how it dose here.

White Sage, I've had good luck with common sage. So, we'll see if it will take our winters.

Cherry tomato, I was looking through seed and realized I'd never worked with them. I was sprouting romas so thought I'd give it a shot.

St. John's Wort, This isn't common here so I thought I'd like to give it a try.

Lemongrass, I've never tried to get in before.

Roses from clippings, this is just a project to build experience.

The garlic beds are looking great this year.

And basil seems to be in high demand last year will just nearly last till this years comes in.

I think its going to be a good growing year here, if we can get past the next month's weather.

#20 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:31 PM

Hope all your plants have had better weather than mine. A handful of killing frosts hit later than expected this year. We made it through with out loosing much, but it was a close thing for a lot.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gardening, plants