• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:17 PM

It helps to do a cold stratification soak on it, especially with D. stramonium but it's not necessary.

If you think Daturas are hard to grow, try mandrake XD

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#22 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:49 AM

If you think Daturas are hard to grow, try mandrake XD

Ha! Mandrake! You're talking to somebody who struggles to persuade Basil to grow....!!

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#23 HeathenWitch

HeathenWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

:sad: Took me three years to get Datura to grow!

I can get just about anything to grow even in the horrible southern clay soil. I didn't plant the Datura, the seeds must have been mixed in with the mulch we bought. We had to do extensive excavation at the front of our house so I know nothing that was planted there before came back.

#24 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

Red clay is very nutritious for flowering plants, it's the drainage that becomes a problem since on a microscopic level it sits on itself like fish scales.

#25 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:22 PM

So, what do you do with it? I have red clay, too.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#26 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:03 PM

RR, you can ammend your soil with sand, or woodchips/sawdust (tilled in)to help the drainage. I've heard that adding sand can sometimes make it too cement-like but I've never tried that. My yard is a bit clay, I decided to just do raised beds and pots a couple years ago and have been doing it that way since. When I get the time/funds to do a larger scale project I will, but it works really well as is for now.

#27 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:39 PM

Lots of organic matter especially compost... Leaf litter, manure, kitchen, etc. Not hot though... That will burn plants. Sand isn't so good... Perlite is better. Most co-ops have bales of unfertilized perlite. Mulch with finely shredded hardwood 2x yearly... Wood is a main course for the soil food Web... Shredded papers work just not shiny ink like magazines. It can be alkaline too so adding sphagnum helps

#28 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:56 AM

Ha! Mandrake! You're talking to somebody who struggles to persuade Basil to grow....!!

I hear ya! I can't get basil to grow - tried so many times but I've had much better luck with Datura - currently have about 6 Datura inoxia plants, some flowering, some with lovely lovely seed pods (aren't the pods on Datura just awesome?). They were growing wild last year near where I lived so I dug up some seedlings, however I think they poisoned the original lot because I've driven past there a few times and not a Datura to be seen.

I love making ointments (it is addictive!) and lotions. Mostly I make healing ones on account of my herbal business (well soon to be, I'm quite lazy) but I have in the past sold flying ointment (a mild mugwort/wormwood/mandrake combo). I've been growing poison plants for a while now and becoming quite familiar with them. I've got single infused oils of belladonna, henbane, mandrake and datura and an infused oil of all 4, I've just not had the time to properly test them yet. The belladonna was not from my garden (it was leaf purchased elsewhere) so I'm going to try it, then harvest leaf from my plant and try that. Although, overall, I think with the belladonna I'm going to wait until my plants fruit as I'd love to include some berries in it as well. I've also got a monster wormwood - should really have a go at ointment making with that too - I planned to many a moon a go but never quite got around to it. Mostly I let it grow and think 'Ooohhh pretty' :wink:

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#29 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

We did a raised bed for the veggies. That was half garden dirt and compost. It's a beautiful rich, dark dirt. :smile:
Posted Image

As hard as it is - we really want to wait and see what grows here this year (first one in the new house) before we do too much.

Does anyone know how to get the orange stains out of jeans?

Edited by RoseRed, 28 April 2015 - 01:46 PM.

#30 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:42 AM

Oxy Clean? I dunno, I never worry about stained jeans personally :P

Depends on the stain I guess....:whistling:

You could get a few packs of nightcrawlers (or collect some wild worms) and toss them in your raised bed too

#31 NightOwl

NightOwl

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:58 AM

Caps is right about the compost. I have red clay, and that is what helps the most. I never tried the sand because I heard that can make it worse.

I just planted some datura seeds the other day. I don't think I have ever grown it before, so hopefully it will do okay.

I haven't had problems with stains on my jeans but I quit wearing white socks when I go hiking at the canyon here because they all turn orange and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Caps, I am with you on mandrake. I have grown many poisonous plants over the years, and I tried growing it from seed. I think I got one sprout that didn't make it.

"The world is full of  magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper." - W.B. Yeats

#32 NightOwl

NightOwl

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

Oh, and if you guys live where it is hot and dry, mulch everything you plant. It seems like nobody around here really does that and then we have 100 degree summers with no rain for months, so everybody waters their crap (and the streets) like crazy and complains about the water bill.

"The world is full of  magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper." - W.B. Yeats

#33 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:23 PM

I've got two mandrake plants right now. Squash works good for ground cover too, keeping moisture in the soil.

#34 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

I tried growing mandrake last year, I did get about 50% germination but they did not thrive. Actually, somebody dug them up. I want to try again this year. I don't even know whether I will ever make ointment from any root that I potentially (fingers crossed) grow, but I have a deep yen to have some around, just living in my city. Like, I get the notion while I'm strolling about that some dampish plot of ground or other would be a nice place to plant mandrake. Talk about guerrilla gardening!

Anara, a better book by Rauch for you might be "Witchcraft Medicine" because flying ointments, their ingredients and historical use are specifically addressed. Also, the last volume of Pendell's "Pharmako-" trilogy has a chapter on Solanacea.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#35 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:18 PM

I tried growing mandrake last year, I did get about 50% germination but they did not thrive. Actually, somebody dug them up. I want to try again this year. I don't even know whether I will ever make ointment from any root that I potentially (fingers crossed) grow, but I have a deep yen to have some around, just living in my city. Like, I get the notion while I'm strolling about that some dampish plot of ground or other would be a nice place to plant mandrake. Talk about guerrilla gardening!

Growing mandrakes 'in captivity' is not easy, depending on where you are they might be quite difficult to grow.
The first time I did it it was with my first 'circle' of witch colleagues. It was a learning experience, and a deep one.
Re the 'stolen' mandrake: it is traditional, where I come from, that when you find a mandrake or plant one in an open field, you tie a little red ribbon on it to let other pontential seekers know that it has been 'taken'.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#36 HeathenWitch

HeathenWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

So, what do you do with it? I have red clay, too.

For our veggie garden we add a fresh layer of compost each year and till it in. It gets really expensive because we have about a 1/4 acre all garden. For my flowers I just plant directly in the clay with a layer of mulch. A lot of my witchy herbs are grown in pots around my patio/outside altar.

#37 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

Anara, a better book by Rauch for you might be "Witchcraft Medicine" because flying ointments, their ingredients and historical use are specifically addressed. Also, the last volume of Pendell's "Pharmako-" trilogy has a chapter on Solanacea.

Thanks for the recommendation, Christine! I do have Witchcraft Medicine and love that book! I do not, however, have the Pharmako trilogy but would like to at some point. I will be sure to pick up the last volume. Thanks. :)

Re: mandrake...oh, it is so hard for me to grow them. So far, I am 0 and 2. I can get them to germinate (last batch I had fresh seeds and all but 1 seed germinated), they grew their first leaves and then died. It seemed to happen right after I watered them-I think I am watering them wrong. I'll try again & hopefully the 3rd time is a charm.

Datura OTOH grows wild here too- it grows in abundance along the river and in the fields near my home.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#38 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

Cool, thanx!

#39 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, Christine! I do have Witchcraft Medicine and love that book! I do not, however, have the Pharmako trilogy but would like to at some point. I will be sure to pick up the last volume. Thanks. :)Re: mandrake...oh, it is so hard for me to grow them. So far, I am 0 and 2. I can get them to germinate (last batch I had fresh seeds and all but 1 seed germinated), they grew their first leaves and then died. It seemed to happen right after I watered them-I think I am watering them wrong. I'll try again & hopefully the 3rd time is a charm.Datura OTOH grows wild here too- it grows in abundance along the river and in the fields near my home.

Does the soil drain well?
Did you try giving them some oxblood and/or some 'blood of the 28th' ?
This deserves a post of its own, if I wasn't on a holiday and getting a break from the Internet (:rolleyes:) , I Would do it myself !

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#40 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

Does the soil drain well?
Did you try giving them some oxblood and/or some 'blood of the 28th' ?
This deserves a post of its own, if I wasn't on a holiday and getting a break from the Internet ( :rolleyes:) , I Would do it myself !

The soil was draining well as far as I could tell and no, I did not give them any blood. That is an interesting thought though. I do vaguely recall another thread somewhere here in the forums discussing feeding blood to plants. I'll have to do some searching on the topic, I suppose. Thanks for the suggestion & enjoy your holiday/break! :)

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci