• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:17 AM

I've been following the renowned witch Sarah Anne Lawless for some time now and she makes really great flying ointment salves. Here is a link to what she has to say about them.
I would also check out her blog and her art too. Very informative and beautiful.

http://sarahannelawl...-ointment-faqs/

#2 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:29 AM

We have talked about Sarah's ointments on here before. They are good, and they really do work. Have you tried any of them? I have used her wormwood ointment (special edition) with good results. I would definitely try another.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#3 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:25 AM

I tried her Saturn ointment.... would not recommend. I want to try other ointments though.

RSKHFMY

#4 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:14 AM

I tried her Saturn ointment.... would not recommend. I want to try other ointments though.

What didn't you like about it if you don't my asking?

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#5 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

It made my heart beat way too shallow and it made me sick, actually. Probably some sort of reaction to one of the ingredients.

RSKHFMY

#6 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:49 AM

I have her Aves ointment. I talked about it in the flying ointments thread. I had a reaction to the belladonna (itching), and that was only with a tiny smear. Really disappointing, because I have this whole tin I can't use :(
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#7 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:32 AM

I have tried her Saturn Flying ointment. It was pretty intense . It did make my vision blurry for a while but that is pretty normal from what I hear. I haven't tried any of the other ones yet though.

#8 HeathenWitch

HeathenWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:17 PM

I've been following her as well, but I wish to make my own flying ointments. I'm pregnant right now so I can't test any and I can't find an accurate recipe.

#9 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:25 PM

I just made my first batch last week. Have yet to try it out.

I'm pregnant right now so I can't test any and I can't find an accurate recipe.

I haven't found any viable recipe yet, or at least no recipes with herbs that I could easily gather or find.
So I made it up. I'm no new to ointments, so I did some reading about the plants and dosages, made a couple of calls, and went on as I do any other ointment (with a ritualized bit in the preparation).

It smells freaking good :)

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#10 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:46 PM

Yeah haha, people with good recipes tend to keep them gaurded. There are a lot of good reasons for that. And the herbs typical of flying ointments (and other entheogens) have no reliable dosage as it varies so much from person to person. So the best thing to really do is a LOT of research, and make simple ointments with smaller amounts of what you are comfortable working with, and then as time goes on and you gain experience, etc, incorporate more or less of whatever ingredient, adding others or not, to acheive what you need to. I have working recipes now that get better with every batch just through reading and trial/error and figuring out how each ingredient affects me and interacts with the others. I like that Aria just made hers up, I think my first one was a tweaked version of a recipe that seemed legit but had superflous ingredients I ommitted. Either one is a good start, methinks.

Its fun, I feel like a mad scientist.

#11 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:47 AM

I wasn't going to say anything in this thread because I rarely talk about entheogens and their dosages, not even in the private section but I can say this: Some of the stuff I make that affects me for a few hours would probably have another person drooling on themselves and staring into a brick wall for days. It really does vary from person to person and alkaloid tolerance is extremely tricky.

Not to be too tangential from the topic, but consider that over half of all heroin overdoses are from people who have detoxed from it and go back to using the same amount weeks/months/years later that they were when they stopped. They no longer have the adaptation/tolerance to the high amount that they were using before and it kills them. This also happens with binge drinkers on occasion.

My point being that potentially you are tampering with your life if you aren't careful, that's why recipes aren't shared...normally they are personal and relate to a single individual's tolerance for it.

What made Ravenshaw's heart beat shallow could kill another person and might not do anything at all to someone who uses tropanes regularly.
I'd never buy a tropane concoction that someone else made for myself, and it's extremely unlikely that I'd make a concoction for another person without having spent a lot of time with them and knowing what they can handle.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#12 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:17 AM

Caps, this is an excellent point. Much like many other drugs or entheogens, ointments and their users too indeed fluctuate in dosage.... Also, allergies come into play, for those rare few.

RSKHFMY

#13 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:36 AM

I wasn't going to say anything in this thread because I rarely talk about entheogens and their dosages, not even in the private section but I can say this: Some of the stuff I make that affects me for a few hours would probably have another person drooling on themselves and staring into a brick wall for days. It really does vary from person to person and alkaloid tolerance is extremely tricky.

Not to be too tangential from the topic, but consider that over half of all heroin overdoses are from people who have detoxed from it and go back to using the same amount weeks/months/years later that they were when they stopped. They no longer have the adaptation/tolerance to the high amount that they were using before and it kills them. This also happens with binge drinkers on occasion.

My point being that potentially you are tampering with your life if you aren't careful, that's why recipes aren't shared...normally they are personal and relate to a single individual's tolerance for it.

What made Ravenshaw's heart beat shallow could kill another person and might not do anything at all to someone who uses tropanes regularly.
I'd never buy a tropane concoction that someone else made for myself, and it's extremely unlikely that I'd make a concoction for another person without having spent a lot of time with them and knowing what they can handle.

Not to mention that the alkaloid content can vary widely from even one plant to another (sometimes within the same "batch") and there's no way to actually know the true content. Same w/things like heroin OD's. I remember about 6 months back in a city next to mine but within the same county, there were several heroin OD's that resulted in death within a two week period- which appears to have all come from the same batch. So even these people who had a high tolerance and/or were accustomed to its side effects were not immune and paid a heavy price for it. It was sad.

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#14 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

Not to mention that the alkaloid content can vary widely from even one plant to another (sometimes within the same "batch") and there's no way to actually know the true content. Same w/things like heroin OD's. I remember about 6 months back in a city next to mine but within the same county, there were several heroin OD's that resulted in death within a two week period- which appears to have all come from the same batch. So even these people who had a high tolerance and/or were accustomed to its side effects were not immune and paid a heavy price for it. It was sad.

====

Cases like that are usually because the batch was cut with something it shouldn't have been, some has even tested as having the crust from car battery acid in it. There was some in this area several years ago that killed about a dozen people that was cut with reduced fentanyl gel.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#15 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:33 PM

As previously mentioned, her Sabbat ointment worked really well for me as far as its intended purpose, but it did affect my breathing. I only used 1/2 the recommended pea size amount and I am glad I did (and before that I did a tiny smear for an allergy test). Although I won't go as far as to say I don't recommend it, I will say be very careful with that one if you do try it. It is potent stuff IMO.

On the other hand, I am personally really liking her mandrake ointment (although I know it does not seem to be a good one for everyone..it's more of a "beginner ointment", I guess...less potent). I have used it a few times now, and each time I use it, I seem to have a closer bond with mandrake as it is showing me new things and deepening my bond with that particular plant. When I feel comfortable enough, I may try to make my own mandrake ointment.

I am thinking about trying her Witches' Flying ointment. Has anybody tried that one?

Also, there are recipes out there on the internet...I have collected a bunch of them already-you just have to search a bit. At some point, I'll do my own experimentation, but I need to know a hell of a lot more about them before I go making them.

If you wish to have a book with really good, reliable information about psychoactive plants and even dosages, I know "The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants" by Christian Ratsch is supposed to be a great one (I think Sarah even recommended that one, if I recall correctly). The book is certainly pricey, but apparently well worth it. It's on my wish list currently :)

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#16 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

Yeah I definitely would recommend being careful and doing an "allergy test/test patch" before going all in. Everyone's body reacts so differently and everyone has different thresholds and tolerances. I've learned this from my job even though it is quite different.

As far as making my own ointment goes I think I would be 5x more afraid of doing that just considering my skills in the kitchen and following any kind of recipe. I suppose everyone starts somewhere though.

Anara that sounds like a really informative book. I would love to give it a try. You'll have to let us know when you've read it.

#17 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:39 AM

====

Cases like that are usually because the batch was cut with something it shouldn't have been, some has even tested as having the crust from car battery acid in it. There was some in this area several years ago that killed about a dozen people that was cut with reduced fentanyl gel.

I double checked sources here and indeed that's the drug with which the heroin was cut that caused so many overdoses. There were 7 OD's within a 24hr period and within just a couple of week's 5 died and there were approx 21 or more OD's within that same time period. Of course it got worse as time went by and it's really sad bc the addicts actually want that heroin bc of the fentanyl (a high grade painkiller and/or anesthesia depending on the dose and mode of consumption).

#18 HeathenWitch

HeathenWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:54 PM

I want to use my Datura inoxia to make an ointment. I'm not sure if I'm really good at growing them or if they are just super easy to grow, but I had a ton come up in my front flower bed all on their own.

I have found a few recipes online, but I am very cautious and don't really trust most of what I see on the internet. One day I will get brave enough to give it a try. I've been pregnant 2 summers in a row now and haven't been able to give any of the ointments a try.

#19 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

I want to use my Datura inoxia to make an ointment. I'm not sure if I'm really good at growing them or if they are just super easy to grow, but I had a ton come up in my front flower bed all on their own.

I have found a few recipes online, but I am very cautious and don't really trust most of what I see on the internet. One day I will get brave enough to give it a try. I've been pregnant 2 summers in a row now and haven't been able to give any of the ointments a try.

Some varieties of Datura are in fact infesting plants.

As far as making my own ointment goes I think I would be 5x more afraid of doing that just considering my skills in the kitchen and following any kind of recipe. I suppose everyone starts somewhere though.

Preparing ointment is really not that difficult. However, before getting to work with poisonous plants, get familiar with infused-oil and ointment making.
Making ointments can be fun and slightly addictive, and teaches you a lot about working with oils and herbs.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#20 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:58 AM

:( Took me three years to get Datura to grow!

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.