• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sedona

Sedona

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:32 PM

Hello all. I am sure other people have felt this way but it is weighing heavily on me and i am lost. As a background, i have been practicing witchcraft as far back as i can remember. When i was young of course i didnt have tools or candles and herbs because my parents would have freaked. So i improvised which worked well for me. My first experience with the Goddess was when i was young in a dream after my parents woke me up to see a rainbow around the moon that night. After that night i was hers.

When i got my own place i was able to accumulate tools and statues, herbs, etc, to aid in my working. Now that i have a husband who understands my path and children that i want to teach it to my home is open with all types of stuff so my craft is part of every minute of every day. Anyway....recently i feel that the path i have been on forever is dying. I still incorporate Goddesses into my work but i kinda fel like it isnt as powerful anymore. I know many on here do not work wth Deity but i am wondering if i have evolved to a point where i should work alone. Any thoughts would help. Thank you.

#2 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:20 PM

My opinion - if you feel you should work alone, then work alone. Personal power is just as important than other power sources, so it is worth exploring. As I have learned, if a Path wants you on it .....you will end up on it, one way or another. Go with what you feel, your gut knows better than your head does.

Also, try something new. A new way of casting or talking to something new, maybe listening to the world in a new spot. Either it'll mesh, or it wont, and knowing what doesn't work is sometimes more valuable than knowing what does.

Good luck!

RSKHFMY

#3 Ogga

Ogga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:21 PM

Try and see how it works out. Whats the worst thing that can happen?

#4 HeathenWitch

HeathenWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:51 PM

I have found that my work is more powerful without deity. I feel like they can be utilized for large rituals / spells, but they aren't really concerned with us. I feel like it takes a lot of power to contact deity and ask for assistance in spell work when you could put that extra power towards the spell yourself and make it stronger. I hope that makes sense. I think you should definitely give it a try and see how you feel about it.

Edited by HeathenWitch, 15 April 2015 - 07:51 PM.

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:33 PM

Perhaps, this is the time when you come into your own.

I finally have that in my home as well. It's a beautiful thing.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#6 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:08 PM

I have noticed that sometimes I am too concerned with actively practicing witchcraft that I forget to sit still and enjoy the mundane synchronicities and results of my work sometimes. Not all witchcraft must be actively seeking, sometimes it is passively listening. And vice versa.

I've never heard of a deity acting as anyone's slave or servant, in fact that would be quite an oxymoron. Not saying this is the case, but I hear too often from people of all types and spiritual religious backgrounds that their god will provide everything for them if they give them faith or offerings...I would see no reason why such a powerful entity would have any such obligation at all. I realized this long ago. Perhaps whatever entity you have been accustomed to revering and learning from is taking an opportunity to allow you to figure out things on your own so they can work with another person a little more closely.

Just my 2c

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#7 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:07 PM

Do you want to work alone? That, right there, is the key.

Is it no longer "powerful" ... is power what you are looking for? Spell-craft by its very nature is powerful. That doesn't go away. Working with divinity is relationship work, not power work. Power comes from the relationship and interaction between the god and the human...it's not so much a 'spell" power as a deeper, inner, power of complete confidence in what you believe in. So is it actually power that is missing? Or is it the relationship that is, for whatever reason, feeling like the connection isn't connecting. Have you asked your deity why? Have you connected to your divinity outside of spellwork... simply as devotion, or for the sake of enjoying an interaction with something you respect and trust (which is probably closer to what your child-experience originally was)?

M

#8 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:59 AM

My opinion - if you feel you should work alone, then work alone. Personal power is just as important than other power sources, so it is worth exploring. As I have learned, if a Path wants you on it .....you will end up on it, one way or another. Go with what you feel, your gut knows better than your head does.

Also, try something new. A new way of casting or talking to something new, maybe listening to the world in a new spot. Either it'll mesh, or it wont, and knowing what doesn't work is sometimes more valuable than knowing what does.

Good luck!

Perhaps, this is the time when you come into your own.

I finally have that in my home as well. It's a beautiful thing.

I have noticed that sometimes I am too concerned with actively practicing witchcraft that I forget to sit still and enjoy the mundane synchronicities and results of my work sometimes. Not all witchcraft must be actively seeking, sometimes it is passively listening. And vice versa.

I've never heard of a deity acting as anyone's slave or servant, in fact that would be quite an oxymoron. Not saying this is the case, but I hear too often from people of all types and spiritual religious backgrounds that their god will provide everything for them if they give them faith or offerings...I would see no reason why such a powerful entity would have any such obligation at all. I realized this long ago. Perhaps whatever entity you have been accustomed to revering and learning from is taking an opportunity to allow you to figure out things on your own so they can work with another person a little more closely.

Just my 2c

Do you want to work alone? That, right there, is the key.

Is it no longer "powerful" ... is power what you are looking for? Spell-craft by its very nature is powerful. That doesn't go away. Working with divinity is relationship work, not power work. Power comes from the relationship and interaction between the god and the human...it's not so much a 'spell" power as a deeper, inner, power of complete confidence in what you believe in. So is it actually power that is missing? Or is it the relationship that is, for whatever reason, feeling like the connection isn't connecting. Have you asked your deity why? Have you connected to your divinity outside of spellwork... simply as devotion, or for the sake of enjoying an interaction with something you respect and trust (which is probably closer to what your child-experience originally was)?

M

I LOVE all of this advice!! It resonates w/me as well. I hope it resonates the way for the OP. :smile:

I find the same issue w/myself Caps.
Ravenshaw's and RR advice is short but sweet/right on point- and Michele I really think that was an important distinction to note. Since I don't really work w/a deity it's not something I prob would have thought of right away, but I think it speaks volumes w/regards to the original question/concern.

I was trying to think of something else to add, but these replies are so right on point IMO. Maybe I'd ask if you can think of a reason why you've felt lost in your path recently? I think Michele's reply could very well help answer that question though. Are there any other mundane/everyday events going on in your life that are maybe causing your practice to take a back seat, or do you feel like you've just lost interest all of a sudden? Are you having doubts about your path and/or questioning your beliefs?

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#9 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

Hello all. I am sure other people have felt this way but it is weighing heavily on me and i am lost. As a background, i have been practicing witchcraft as far back as i can remember. When i was young of course i didnt have tools or candles and herbs because my parents would have freaked. So i improvised which worked well for me. My first experience with the Goddess was when i was young in a dream after my parents woke me up to see a rainbow around the moon that night. After that night i was hers.

When i got my own place i was able to accumulate tools and statues, herbs, etc, to aid in my working. Now that i have a husband who understands my path and children that i want to teach it to my home is open with all types of stuff so my craft is part of every minute of every day. Anyway....recently i feel that the path i have been on forever is dying. I still incorporate Goddesses into my work but i kinda fel like it isnt as powerful anymore. I know many on here do not work wth Deity but i am wondering if i have evolved to a point where i should work alone. Any thoughts would help. Thank you.

A path on which you never get lost hardly teaches you anything, IMHO.

Me too, I had that strange 'deity' contact when I was quite young, and for a while I thought 'deity' was essential to my workings. Then I realized it is not, and what is necessary for my witchcraft is myself and myself only. Tools will help, 'deities' too at times... but nothing is really necessary. Do not consider yourself bound or obliged to any entity unless you purposefully and explicitly whish(ed) so. Otherwise, whatever contact you may experience live it fully, but do not bend your knee.

I've never heard of a deity acting as anyone's slave or servant, in fact that would be quite an oxymoron. Not saying this is the case, but I hear too often from people of all types and spiritual religious backgrounds that their god will provide everything for them if they give them faith or offerings...

I may disagree on this. In Italian folk magic it is quite common to threaten or ritually blackmail spirits and mostly saints. Of course one may argue that saints are not 'deities', strictly speaking. However, these practices come straight from pre-christian/catholic traditions, and saints were often a clumsy replacement for pagan gods. So it is plausible to say that these practices were in fact used for gods.
However, in the Christian version of the these practices, the Christian God is never threatened or blackmailed. I think there is a different between the nature of gods in monotheistic and polytheistic religions, societies and cultures.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#10 Sedona

Sedona

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:40 AM

Wow. Such amazing advice. Thank you to all who responded. I will add more later but just wanted to say thanks all of your posts are extremely helpful.

#11 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:54 AM

This path we all are on is ever evolving, at least that is how it seems to be for most people I know. Being stuck in one place and saying this is the way you will practice forever is not conductive to development of your skills or your path. I used to work with deity, I used to feel it was essential. I hardly ever do so any more. It is called the crooked path for good reason. Always twisting and turning, sometimes you won't see what is right in front of you, or around the next corner. If we refuse to follow the path were it leads us, we run the risk of remaining stuck in one place. Listen to your inner voice, or trusted spirits, if you prefer.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#12 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:45 AM

Is it possible that your understanding of your deity has grown restrictive? As an example consider Artemis is frequently seen as the eternal virgin huntress and used to depict the unfettered woman in many feminist utilization's. Yet if that is the only persona you identify then you miss her aspect as Pontia Theron or Mistress of Animals, you miss her persona as the fertility and fecundity goddess that is so present in Anatolia, especially Ephesus. You miss her influence as the goddess of blood and transition that marked Spartan influence and Athenian influence. You miss her Arcadian persona as the spirit of the wilderness and the adult woman vice the Olympian wilderness persona though they share many similarities. In some capacities you'll miss the Hellenic struggle that occurred as the gods / goddesses of Thrace, Anatolia, etc where modified during the war with Troy and the Olympian pantheon was shuffled around. None of that really touching upon the changes and evolution that many gods and goddesses underwent as a respective pantheon witnessed the changes in social, cultural and even economic development.

Granted you also have to consider the possibility that your own pathwalk will require periods where your own will has to carry you and be the foundation upon which things are built.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: witchcraft, goddess, Diana, spellwork