• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:09 AM

lol - if you like them, keep them! It may just be me, but sleeping with mirrors creeps me out. I won't have a clown doll in the house either, they're just like too "eeek" for me. Mirrors and clowns... creepy things....

M

Lol- My husband hates clown dolls too. Actually other dolls creep him out equally well! :laugh:

Perhaps just me but I find it has to be an oval or circular shaped mirror to create gateways. You'd think square considering how they resemble windows and doors but for some reason those never click for me as gateways. Sort of like using a hand mirror to scrye with works better for me than a square one. Heck, even using a body of water I find it's better when its more oval or circular in shape than a square shape to act as a viewing surface. Not saying that will hold true for everyone but something I find for myself.

One of them (the dresser on the right) is "normal"/square. The one directly opposite and to the left, are three separate oval ones. One larger one in the middle, and two smaller oval ones on each side attached to the middle one that can swing back and forth. What's your personal experience w/them regarding gateways and/or portals? Can they (any type of entity) just come and go as they please without being called/summoned/invited?

Again, forgive me regarding my lack of knowledge in this area and thanks again for always trying to answer my questions. :smile:

What are your and any other members' thoughts/opinions regarding spirit activity- Can you attract negative/harmful ones w/o knowledge (or really I guess I mean intent). Meaning, unless I purposefully attract them- can they still enter through portals like my mirrors (just as an example, bc I know there are other ways in which they can come through)?

I realize that being a witch I can attract many things which are unseen and/or unknown to me, and I assume that certain emotions like constant anger, jealously, hatred, and even fear etc. are more likely to attract negative entities (like they feed on them), but should I have cause for concern if those aren't typical emotions I experience on a regular basis? I realize this convo has since expanded from the original question, but I figured it's still ok since the info has brought about more questions.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#22 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:32 AM

Things on other planes, above below and around, can like the energies humans put out. Food, drink, laughter, fighting, sex, etc. Anything that gives off higher energy can sometimes attract them more strongly, in my experience, so yeah.... Chances are, if the spirits are family, they respect your privacy. If they are around when you're having sex, they probably aren't watching for the same reason a living human would be watching, I imagine. You could always ask them to leave, perhaps?

I rarely see spirits on the physical plane. If happens, but is rare. I usually see them from my mind, or more likely feel them/hear them/ etc. and especially dream about them! My animals pick up on them much better than I can. Some people set up protections in their bedrooms against spirits anyway, because they are bothered by them so much at night.

And honestly, spirits are all around us all the time. We can pick up on certain energies better than others, but there are so many we cannot see... I wouldn't worry about it too much. Enjoy sex without worrying about who is watching, if they're watching sex they're watching more than that!

I'm like you w/regards to not being able to see them on a physical plane. I don't see them in my mind either, but I do hear/feel them often. I've always wanted to be able to see them and I talk to them all the time. They respond to direct conversation/questions, by either moving something right in front of me, or answering caught on EVP's (very clear ones at times)...but they never show themselves. Sometimes I believe I can see the veil on occasion, but my husband is the one who can see them. He's never seen or felt one while we are having sex- but I suspect that's the furthest thing from his mind during those times. :yes: :wink:

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#23 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:11 AM

----

How do you pay them?

I collected some spirits and assigned them to guard the entrance to my property, and it worked with great (and sometimes amusing) success. But I just realized that I kinda did a "set it and forget it" and haven't paid/fed/addressed them in a long time. How does one go about paying them? Is it similar protocol to wards, house guardians, etc.?

I'm sure Aurelian can give you more specifics regarding the form of payment, but assuming that he's referring to the Hoodoo tradition, there are typically specific types of offerings depending on what/"who" you ask/summon/petition. Since I'm not as adept regarding the spirit world and/or don't utilize them in my practice, I don't know to which ones he's referring.

Now I do follow 'protocol' within the Hoodoo tradition regarding things like payment for the collection of graveyard dirt, etc. I just don't petition the saints and/or other types of entities during my workings, but I do know that they're used for many different purposes- protection and curses most prominently, but some petition them for all types of workings. I know whiskey and/or rum is a very common type of payment, especially for the dead and ancestors. I don't know specifics regarding payment for "darker" entities, demons and other entities w/the exception of the deceased.

#24 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

Certain entities like things such as black coffee, silver dimes and fresh baked pound cake. Oh, and cigarettes or tobacco.

One Saint in particular in hoodoo (St. Expidite) likes it if you "profess his name" by taking out an ad in the local paper or putting up fliers.

Rum is a given :) but those are just a few things I was taught to leave.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#25 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:27 PM

----

How do you pay them?

I collected some spirits and assigned them to guard the entrance to my property, and it worked with great (and sometimes amusing) success. But I just realized that I kinda did a "set it and forget it" and haven't paid/fed/addressed them in a long time. How does one go about paying them? Is it similar protocol to wards, house guardians, etc.?

Shot or so a rum a month, each, for payment, and military graveyards may be the best places to find these types of spirits.

Edited by Aurelian, 10 April 2015 - 02:23 AM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#26 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:32 PM

^^ and St. Expedite ftw, Rachel :)
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#27 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:28 PM

One of them (the dresser on the right) is "normal"/square. The one directly opposite and to the left, are three separate oval ones. One larger one in the middle, and two smaller oval ones on each side attached to the middle one that can swing back and forth. What's your personal experience w/them regarding gateways and/or portals? Can they (any type of entity) just come and go as they please without being called/summoned/invited?

Again, forgive me regarding my lack of knowledge in this area and thanks again for always trying to answer my questions. :smile:

What are your and any other members' thoughts/opinions regarding spirit activity- Can you attract negative/harmful ones w/o knowledge (or really I guess I mean intent). Meaning, unless I purposefully attract them- can they still enter through portals like my mirrors (just as an example, bc I know there are other ways in which they can come through)?

I realize that being a witch I can attract many things which are unseen and/or unknown to me, and I assume that certain emotions like constant anger, jealously, hatred, and even fear etc. are more likely to attract negative entities (like they feed on them), but should I have cause for concern if those aren't typical emotions I experience on a regular basis? I realize this convo has since expanded from the original question, but I figured it's still ok since the info has brought about more questions.

This may not follow your questions but it might make sense hopefully.

For me square mirrors fail because they denote a hard start and stop with firm boundaries. In many ways suggesting size limitations and restrictions that seem many spirits that are native to this plain recognize to some capacity. So it falls into the pushing a round peg through a square hole and all that it implies. Yet round or oval mirrors have no start nor finish and in truth there is no limitation in size. With no firm start or finish there is no restrictions other than what can go through the hole yet the hole is also like a birth canal in that it opens and closes but never shuts. Push the edges of a circle and it expands yet remains a circle. Push the edges of a square and unless it is equal across the entire surface the shape distorts and potentially further limits what can pass through it.

I tend to think with mirror's we fall into opposites and inversions to our own plain. As such we can see the mirror holds the reflection or doorway to a negative plain, a counter plain or true reversed plain. Yet in most instances it is still tied to our own physical plain of reality. Figure the mirror shows the inversion of our dimension yet it doesn't suggest multi-dimensions or alternate realities. So while something that is astral may pass into our plain via the mirror its still of our dimension and reality.

Yet if you want to really screw things up then place two oval or circular mirrors a few feet apart and facing each other. Then you've created a multi-dimensional doorway and countless possibilities of what can be observed or pass through. Figure you have the true infinite realities where time becomes a reflection of a reflection of a reflection going ever outward and inward. Under this scenario is the only usage of a circle and square I am aware of as the circle is reflected in the square but the limitations of the square and start and finish is reflected upon the circle. Never tried it myself but was told of a true vortex and tree creation where a square below and to one side with a circle above and to the other side. Though one could use 4 circular mirrors and have no restrictions upon any aspect of the doorway.

I tend to use gateway tree's for these type things though i'll use mirrors for scrying type activities. In that regard I do not tend to see mirrors as great gateways for anything other than the dead. In that regard mostly because the mirror reflects the inversion of life or lack of life.

Gateway tree's are tree's that form a natural V shape and the V is located at or near ground level with the arms rising upwards and outwards. Depending upon the weather, time of day and other factors the gateway opens to any number of places. The most dangerous to me being a gateway opened through the fog where its a constant shifting and you never really know where the other side is. You can't always tell what comes through the gateway though and at times may not figure out until whatever it was lets you know.

#28 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:34 PM

Spirit activity is an interesting topic in that many times it depends upon how you define "Spirit". It's almost become a collective umbrella term now days pertaining to so many things.

A projected awareness can take shape and form, perhaps even a near solid state. Yet it is not a spirit in the sense of a deceased entity or being. So consider if a person does a dream-walking or remote viewing they come across as a spirit form but are not spirits. Yet a skilled person can use mirrors, pictures, etc to step through or use as their own window to look in upon their target. Yet it goes back to the notion they are acting like spirits but are not treated like spirits in any traditional sense of the word. Not even touching upon astral projection and such where they can look in but never once cross into your time nor be completely blocked out by so called protection spells. Like a rat into a home they find all the little cracks and splits that are never protected and enter in. In that regard people I believe delude themselves into thinking they are protected from everything when reality wise their protections are only effective against things that are not really trying to enter to begin with.

Then you have "Spirits" in the sense of natural entities that are connected to places, elements, etc. Again I find protections fail on those many times simply because they are not human nor human like in their energy. Many times they also do not recognize nor adhere to human restrictions and limitations. Like a deer holds no regard to barriers placed up by humanity and will go where they desire, when they desire and for as long as they desire. They are natural entities and go with the flow of the earth's energy lines or spots where their own energy holds domain over things. Consider the bansidhe for instance, she goes where she desires and nothing will hold her back nor impede her course. The Hags will affect / effect their area of interest and again nothing is going to hold them back though lucky they do not have great area's of influence.

You do not see them a lot anymore but death roads also do not adhere to human boundaries and restrictions. Build your home where one crossed and the dead will come into your home. Most often being unaware of your presence as they travel their route. Ironically many of them also following the old death roads that were used to take bodies to the local graveyards and such and only traveled to take bodies. Sometimes a death road will also follow energy veins through an area. A death road is also a journey path such as that followed by Resurrection Mary of Chicago. She will pass through the area on her journey and may interact with you but you will do nothing to stop her journey or change her course. Even becoming violent against you if you do try to force a change in her course. While Mary is perhaps one of the most well known there are many travelling spirits that haunt areas and have no regard for how things have changed since their deaths.

I think the more active we are the brighter we shine to the other side or to other entities in our own dimension. Like the proverbial moth drawn to a flame things will be drawn to us. So to simply see what it is. Some looking to see how they can exploit it or use it for their own ends. Some taking it as a challenge to their own authority and domain and will come in answer to the challenge. Some because it's life energy we project and they long for it again and how it felt. Many of the restless dead will be drawn to it as its a power source where when they step in it they experience sort of a mini life for a few minutes. Some going so far as to try and take it over so the affect / effect continues. Sort of a possession situation though some times its more of an issue of being ridden vice possessed.

But as I stated a lot has to do with how you define "Spirit".

#29 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:28 PM

Aurelian, RachelLiz, and bewitchingredhead: thank you all for your reponses!

I do have questions that are a bit off-track from the post's overall subject, but might be helpful to others in addition to myself.

If a witch observes protocols outlined in a specific tradition for certain activities, do the spirits usually think that the witch is an ardent follower of that tradition? The reason I ask is because I do follow certain payment protocols when gathering graveyard dirt: I leave a silver coin at the entrance to the cemetery, and leave a certain number of copper coins in the hole where I dug up the dirt before I back-fill it. I'm not a Hoodoo/Vodou/Voodoo practitioner, although my actions might be construed as such by a knowledgeable onlooker.

Speaking of which- would someone be willing to provide a nutshell delineation between Voodoo, Hoodoo, and Vodou? Hopefully a brief synopsis won't derail this thread too much... :crossfingers:

#30 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

I do have questions that are a bit off-track from the post's overall subject, but might be helpful to others in addition to myself.

If a witch observes protocols outlined in a specific tradition for certain activities, do the spirits usually think that the witch is an ardent follower of that tradition? The reason I ask is because I do follow certain payment protocols when gathering graveyard dirt: I leave a silver coin at the entrance to the cemetery, and leave a certain number of copper coins in the hole where I dug up the dirt before I back-fill it. I'm not a Hoodoo/Vodou/Voodoo practitioner, although my actions might be construed as such by a knowledgeable onlooker.

Speaking of which- would someone be willing to provide a nutshell delineation between Voodoo, Hoodoo, and Vodou? Hopefully a brief synopsis won't derail this thread too much... :crossfingers:

No problem at all regarding any "off track" subjects. :wink: Voodoo/Vodun/Vodou is a religion that originated from Africa and made it's way through the west via mostly the slave trade. I typically see the "original" version of the religion spelled Vodun, and the Western version spelled Vodou (like the Haitian form) or Voodoo. They believe in a god/creator, have priests/priestesses, and much of their worship is centered around ancestor veneration/worship. I will draw an analogy for the sake of simplicity- in much of the same way people who follow Wicca don't necessarily practice witchcraft, same is true for the Vodou religion with regards to what we'd prob call practicing magic.

Also, it's "evolved" with regards to the inclusion and/or merging of many things resembling Christianity. The main reason behind this is bc when the slaves were forced to places like here, The UK, France, etc., they could not practice their religion in the open and had to do it in secret. So they would do things like "pretend" to petition a Saint and would use specific saints and the like to be able to keep their worship a secret.

Hoodoo is an African-American originated type of folk magic (also known as "conjure" and the terms "root worker/doctor"). While it utilizes the Bible a great deal w/regards to it's magical applications, it's not inherently Christian (nor is it Voodoo or the "practical application" of magic within the Voodoo faith). Rather, it's a combination/co-mingling of beliefs, customs, myths, etc. of Christian, Jewish, Native American and Pagan folklore. It does not require/adhere to a belief in any religion, although certainly there are many who practice it that do believe in a God and/or have some combination of beliefs within a religious context. The initial beliefs were brought here by African slaves in the fashion I mentioned regarding Vodun, then combined with Christian, Jewish, Native American and European Pagan Folklore. The practice of Hoodoo relies heavily on botanicals (hence the name "rootworker") and "tag locks" aka, "personal concerns" (semen, blood, saliva, hair, fingernails, etcs) which are primarily used in the form of "laying tricks" (what most people would consider some type of hex/curse), candle magic, mojo bags, ritual baths, floor washes, bottle spells, foot cross/track magic, cross roads magic and divination. The most common types of spells cast are usually love spells, money drawing, gambling, protection magic, and of course, hexes.

It's also said to have started in the South as a type of Christian folk-magic. They do differentiate between Hoodoo and Vodun though. The type of Vodou and the practice of magic within that religion seen in Louisiana for example, is more akin to Haitian Vodou.

#31 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

Oh I forgot to answer your other question. Just my opinion, but I don't think that observing the protocols and/or using traditional Hoodoo spells causes the spirits (in this case spirit meaning the dead) to believe that you're an ardent follower of that tradition. I also don't necessarily think that calling upon certain pagan gods/goddesses leads them to believe you're an ardent follower of their tradition, but those are gods/goddesses as opposed to spirits. I cannot say for certain though if such is the case for Vodun, Santeria, etc., but that's bc I don't practice their religions, but more specifically bc I'm not as "in tune" w/spirits/gods/goddesses/entities, etc. in general. I'm certainly familiar w/them, but have no direct experiences to which I can relate.

And thank you for your replies Monsno.

#32 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:29 PM

If a witch observes protocols outlined in a specific tradition for certain activities, do the spirits usually think that the witch is an ardent follower of that tradition? I do not think so. I'm pretty sure they can tell the difference between a Devotee and a Contractualist (that's what I call it - I don't know what anyone else does.) The reason I ask is because I do follow certain payment protocols when gathering graveyard dirt: I leave a silver coin at the entrance to the cemetery, and leave a certain number of copper coins in the hole where I dug up the dirt before I back-fill it. I'm not a Hoodoo/Vodou/Voodoo practitioner, although my actions might be construed as such by a knowledgeable onlooker.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#33 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:30 PM

I am so looking forward to readings MS's posts when I can devote enough time to a good conversation.

#34 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

I cannot say about the American / Caribbean forms, but I know a bit about Vodon. Vodon is the traditional religion of the Gold Coast of Africa, which you may identify nowadays with Benin, Togo and Ghana. These are the main hotspots of the religion, although due to migration and cultural melting pot, it is nowadays also practiced in the South-Western Nigeria, the South of Niger and Burkina Faso.

It is thought that the cradle of the religion is to be found in Benin, which also recognizes Vodon as one of the official religions of the country together with Christianity and Islam (although people down there do say that christians and muslims are such by day and voodoo by night. I lived for one year in Benin in 2010 (if my memory doesn't fail me), and had the chance to participate in few ceremonies and to talk to different people. So take this with caution, as this is my own experience of it.

Vodon is an animistic/ spiritist religion, meaning that the cult is devoted mainly to spirits of nature, places and to the ancestors. Both women and men are allowed to hold Vodon priesthood, although in my experience priestesses are held in higher consideration - may have to do with the fact that the main, originating Vodon deity is a goddess.
It is a very hierarchical religion, both spirits and practitioners seem to adhere to a rigid structure that determines their power and their role. Often the priesthood is passed within a family, and things can get quite violent when the son or daughter of a priest/ess does not wish to take up the role. Often one may loose his or her land, for example, as often much of the property of the priest/ess is considered property of the church.

There are public and private rituals. Public rituals can consist in seasonal celebrations, celebrations for special occasions in life as well as re-enactment of Vodon mythology (similar to what takes place in the Wiccan seasonal festivals). Many villages keep a little hut where the local spirits dwell, and on particular celebrations a few bunch of people is let sleep and stay in the hut, just to come out possessed on the day of the celebration. Their possession may then be used to obtain information, to lead the practitioners to places where other spirits dwell, or to find treasure. The possession is then exhausted by its public performance, and normally all the participants have to give a little offer to the spirit/person who is being possessed. In one of the rites I took part in,at the end of the ritual the possessed women were shaking and having convulsions in the middle of a circle of people, and every participant had to go and place a small coin on the forehead in order to placate them. The coins were gladly kept by the possessed after the spirits released them. I have never been allowed to a private ritual (and if you are, in Benin, it is normally a scam performed to nick you some money unless you are part of a church).

Ouidah, in Benin, is considered the 'Holy See' of Vodon. There are temples, and sacred spots dating back centuries, as well as a temple with sacred snakes that makes the tourists happy. In Ouidah there is also the slave route, the road that was walked by slaves being brought to the Americas. It is marked with statues of Vodon spirits. It is an impressive sight.
Vodon has churches, that are communities of followers. These are recognizable by the white flags waving over them. Once a year, in January I think, there is a national celebration of Vodon, on the beaches of Ouidah. It is quite an impressive sight, as all the churches from the country come down to the coast (as well as the President and all the government officials and a number of turists), and there is a lot of music, drinks and dancing. It is real fun!

Aria

PS. Sorry I just realized this is tremendously OT !

Edited by Aria, 07 April 2015 - 03:45 PM.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#35 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:33 PM

My understanding is that anything which reflects ('mirrors') is a mirror. The earlier versions being polished metal, water etc. I'm not going to say creepy shit doesn't happen around mirrors, I've had a couple of unpleasant experiences and it led me to avoiding them for years, but I believe they mostly just happen to heighten spirit activity (or at least make it easier for spirits to communicate) rather than act purely as a portal.

If you've lived happy enough thus fair with ordinary mirrors then I'm sure you can safely live with them as long as you take precautions. Maybe sun them every now and again, place protective herbs or sigils behind them, wash them with salt water or possibly cover them at night- anything which lowers the chances of something dwelling there without you knowing about it.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#36 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:33 PM

That post on Vodon should be it's own thread in a library section. That was great!

#37 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:44 PM

BWR and Aria: +1 from me for your excellent respective synopses of Vodou/Vodoo/Hoodoo. Many thanks!

#38 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:49 AM

BWR and Aria: +1 from me for your excellent respective synopses of Vodou/Vodoo/Hoodoo. Many thanks!

Thank you and you're very welcome. A good acquaintance of mine who works at the local occult shop owned by mentor is Vodou and I've learned quite a bit more about the religion than my prior knowledge. She's discussed so many interesting experiences w/us, like being "ridden" (what Aria is referring to as possession) as they call it, and some different rituals that sound very intriguing. Like a "head washing" ceremony/ritual (which I believe might be part of an initiation ritual if I'm not mistaken; I'd have to ask her) for example.

I know that being ridden is usually considered a privilege, bc when you're ridden it's by a "Loa", who are considered demigods to my understanding- they've been explained to me as a type of entity you to go to intercede between you and spirit (which reminds me a lot of a Catholic priest in theory; of course a priest is an actual person opposed to an entity). It's also my understanding that you can ask to be ridden, but ultimately it's up to you.

Bondye is considered as the name of "God". A Manbo is a female high priest and a Houngan is the name of a male high priest. Each Loa has their own likes and/or preferences for sacrifices. Boko is There is also another woman I know through the shop who is a reader and also a Manbo. I've not spoken with her in as much detail as I have my other acquaintance regarding the religion. My acquaintance and I have taken several classes together at the shop in the past. I do know Manbo is a good reader though, lol.

I've been told that Vodou is not something you "dabble" in (I believe that was more in reference to the practice of magic within their religious context). Bokors are the name for the witches/sorcerers within the religion. They take it (dabbling) as a sign of enormous disrespect. I remember my friend got rather upset of the portrayal of Papa Legba on American Horror Story Coven.

#39 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:58 AM

Oh and it's quite alright Aria! I said I didn't mind the additional topic at all. :smile: You were answering a question she asked and I totally don't mind.

Oh regarding the practical application of Hoodoo- I've been taught that there's not much flexibility w/regards to their system, quite opposite from witchcraft in general. Especially w/regards to specific spells, botanicals, and so on. Even though I don't solely practice Hoodoo, many of their spells are quite efficient, quick, reliable and not terrible expensive. Doesn't really matter if the moon is full, waxing, or waning, what day of the week it is, and so on. If I cast a traditional Hoodoo spell, I don't cast a circle (although I'm sure you could if it makes you feel more comfortable), call the elements, or anything else associated w/any ritual aspects of more "traditional" forms of witchcraft.

#40 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:03 AM

My understanding is that anything which reflects ('mirrors') is a mirror. The earlier versions being polished metal, water etc. I'm not going to say creepy shit doesn't happen around mirrors, I've had a couple of unpleasant experiences and it led me to avoiding them for years, but I believe they mostly just happen to heighten spirit activity (or at least make it easier for spirits to communicate) rather than act purely as a portal.

If you've lived happy enough thus fair with ordinary mirrors then I'm sure you can safely live with them as long as you take precautions. Maybe sun them every now and again, place protective herbs or sigils behind them, wash them with salt water or possibly cover them at night- anything which lowers the chances of something dwelling there without you knowing about it.

I know my mentor is highly superstitious of mirrors, so you're not the only one who thinks that way/has similar feelings. I know that anything reflective, even tinfoil can be utilized in certain spells as a mirror. Specifically sticking a person in a "mirror box". If you don't have the money or desire to put actual mirrors in them you can line the box w/tinfoil.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ghosts, spirits, supernatural, entities, sex