• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:59 AM

Over the years, my practice has developed immensely. My organization has grown proportionally to my development.

When I was younger, I had to hide my practice from my family. As a teen, the items of my craft were hidden among my environment. I would hide things like bones, incense, and protective jewelry around my room, some in plain sight, and some hidden away carefully and diligently. I once dug a hole by the oak tree I practiced near and hit my things there, wrapped in a little sachet, and would dig it out each time I needed it.

During this time of my life, staying hidden taught me many things - the power of secrecy, the power of memory, and the power that could be taken from you when you were caught. It also taught me the power of myself, and that I had potential, not through my craft things, but through myself. These things were just convenient amenities, best used for focus and as anchors of power.

Then, I got older - I obtained more freedom, I had moved away from home and finally I had a sacred space outside of my mind. It took me a while to get used to it, after so many years of hiding. A couple of people knew about my practice, but I rarely talked about it for fear of getting too comfortable. It was hard to break this habit of being purely and utterly closed off. Mirroring this, my craft things stayed hidden, albeit a little less so. Instead of digging a hole to hide my things, they stayed behind books or in my underwear drawer. From this I learned the power of making your safe place a safe place - it is important to get established in your dwellings, mark your territory, and feel secure. Being alone in a place that is designated to be your own means little if you have not claimed it.

Years went by, and I became more lax - not stupidly so, but I began pushing my walls out. I opened up to those I could trust, and began to form a small, but stable and trustworthy circle of others who practice, or at least others who respected my beliefs and let me be without antagonizing me. My craft things reflected this too - they soon got their own box, on my dresser no less - the box became part of the atmosphere of the room, a decoration to unknowing eyes, rather than the items which dwelt in the shadows. My collection grew, boldly so, and soon the box became stuffed. These items never left my room, unless being used for a working, but I was more relaxed about leaving candles or amulets out on the dresser, or leaving a bottle of herbs next to the box when they no longer fit.

Fast-forward to now, years later. I sit at my desk, typing this post, and just around my desk I see a bundle of rosemary hanging on my wall for mental sharpness while I study. I breathe in the smell of Tibetan incense ropes, dipped in saffron oil, burning as I type, and there is a braid of rock beads draping my lamp which helps to keep me from frustration while I study. If I were to look around my room, I would see countless charms, herbs, rocks, feathers, all serving a purpose. Some are guards, some help me every day, some are works in progress, some are placed beautifully until I need them again. I have lived alone for eight years, and my home is now MY home, wherever that home may be. I have set my boundaries around the perimeter of my entire dwellings, and only those who respect me may enter unless it is a very special circumstance. Complementary to this, my craft things have pushed themselves into every room of my house - every window, door, and wall has a touch of magic on it, and my main craft item storage is a large cabinet that is in need of expansion yet again. I have an entire cabinet of medicines and poisons, in carefully labelled large containers that are restocked often. I have a special container for seed storage, kept next to ideas for magical garden designs and recipes. The rest of the cabinet holds all of my rocks, my many journals and scrap notes, my inks, My jewelry, amulets, and talismans ave their own special box, next to my ritual area. I have handmade altar cloths for the big celebrations and workings, folded neatly in their own place. Bones bleach in the sun in bedroom window. If you look close enough, you can see the egg shell marks lining my house walls as a protective measure. The things that have been given to me - during special occasions or gifts from the spirits - have a more special place still, not hidden in the dark parts of my life but held in reverence and kept secure in their own special place.

As I have grown, so has my practice, and so have my things. This growth has taught me something incredible - the power of organization. It feels good to not live like a witch-mole, but to live freely in my own home, where my spirituality touches every part of my environment. If this is to be my life, then live it I shall, and living in a home drenched with magical things requires these things having their own place, respectively. With the need for organization comes many things, I find. Having designated areas for things lets particular energies saturate those places. With this energy, I can get more familiar with the energy of individual items: if I misplace an item, sometimes I can find it with my eyes closed because I can feel it is not where it's supposed to be. I can feel energy blocks, or if certain craft items are not meshing well with others; if I listen, they tell me where they would do better.

By needing to be more organized, I have grown to listen to my outside world better, and I find my craft life runs just a little bit smoother than it would if my things were strung about or buried as they used to be. Also, I wear this need for organization as a point of pride. I no longer have to hide in my own home, and haven't had to for nearly a decade. Outside and around others, I live in secret, but this is much easier knowing I can home to a person who loves me, in a home that is mine physically and spiritually, to a place where I can shed my skin as soon as I enter the house and know that I am in a place where it is safe to have my bones hanging about in a place that smells like sweet smoke, that is lined with the protective layer of a long night of putting up spiritual walls, that I can continue to freely live and grow as I wish.

I look forward to having to find more places for things as I grow. I look forward to the lessons I have yet to learn, and the places I have yet to grow into.

Has organization helped you along the way, or opened the path to...well...your Path?

Edited by Ravenshaw, 01 April 2015 - 09:05 PM.

RSKHFMY

#2 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

Organization is a work in progress, but you've inspired me to keep at it :)
My things are slowly making their ways to the walls and I'm glad they are. They make the atmosphere which makes me feel more successful in my workings.

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#3 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:37 PM

Can you come to my house and help?
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#4 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:14 PM

I'd just add one though for consideration. The more physical and mundane you make your practice by physical items and physical stimulations the more we have a habit of becoming trapped by those very items. In many ways the ID, Ego and Super Ego or self doesn't grow as much as it becomes bound to the physical and the need to have it about you. From a shamanic like perspective you become more attached to the physical body and boundary of a thing vice connecting to the deeper energy and spirit of the thing which resides upon all plains of reality thus transcending time, space and concept.

Imagine it like being connected to water. If feels great when you can look at it, touch it and smell it. You become physically connected to the very physical nature of it. Yet you there in loose your ability to connect to the very energy and element of it because the end becomes greater than the parts that make it up. The smell of water in the driest place is lost as is the essence of the water's ability to connect on multiple levels.

#5 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

You have a point there that I had not considered. The ego is pretty good at latching onto things. The fact that I'm a natural psychometrist increases the chances that I'll connect with some object on a physical level first. It's just in my nature to have to touch and connect with the objects both materially and spiritually. Yes there is the point where you get so wrapped up in the object that you miss energetic signatures and such.
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#6 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

Monsno - I agree, being too attached to your material thing can be a major setback. However, I find it easier to connect with something once I have see it, smelled it, heard it, etc. I'm very much so a kinesthetic person - I learn better with my hands, and if I use my physical self to tap into something, it is easier for me to recall it later. Using many items in one's craft I do not think is a weakness... I think it is only a weakness when you can no longer practice with just yourself, and only yourself. Even for people who use items in their regular craft, it is important to practice just as much using nothing at all.

I think the physical plane is intimately connected to the energetic plane. After all, energy too can have a physical influence. I think there is strength is using the physical and energetic realms together instead of separating them from one another, when possible (some things simply never meet up).

RSKHFMY

#7 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

Organization is a work in progress, but you've inspired me to keep at it :smile:
My things are slowly making their ways to the walls and I'm glad they are. They make the atmosphere which makes me feel more successful in my workings.

I feel ya Izzie. I started working on a vision board and wound up w/like 3 different ones- and only one is finished and I'm wondering where the other ones are gonna go when done~

Can you come to my house and help?

I second that! :cheers:

Monsno - I agree, being too attached to your material thing can be a major setback. However, I find it easier to connect with something once I have see it, smelled it, heard it, etc. I'm very much so a kinesthetic person - I learn better with my hands, and if I use my physical self to tap into something, it is easier for me to recall it later. Using many items in one's craft I do not think is a weakness... I think it is only a weakness when you can no longer practice with just yourself, and only yourself. Even for people who use items in their regular craft, it is important to practice just as much using nothing at all.

I think the physical plane is intimately connected to the energetic plane. After all, energy too can have a physical influence. I think there is strength is using the physical and energetic realms together instead of separating them from one another, when possible (some things simply never meet up).

First of all I just wanted to say how much I thoroughly enjoyed your post!! To respond to your initial post, I do think it helps me enormously. I don't thrive well when things are messy and/or chaotic in general within my home. That being said; unfortunately more often than not is seems, that my house still feels cluttered. Having a child can do that to you, as can not having enough room in your home (which is also a factor for me).

I did not start my practice until much later in my life- so I always love hearing stories from people who've been practicing since they were young. I 100% know that if I would have started young like yourself, I would have had to be very careful about where to put my things, how I went about acquiring them, and even when/how I practiced. Since I didn't start until I was already an adult and married to my husband for over 8yrs when I really started to learn more about the craft and eventually start practicing, keeping things around in plain view isn't an issue. I love being reminded on a daily basis the magic that fills my home, the potential I have to learn and grow within my practice, and that I don't have "hide" from anyone.

When certain people come to visit (like my little sister or my husband's parents, who are Christians), I do try to be somewhat discreet and not have several books pertaining to witchcraft, etc. on my coffee table, or a deck of tarot cards, etc. However, they still remain on my bookshelf in the hall, but at least they're not in plain view. Now my room on the other hand, that's a different story. My kitchen? Same thing (although that doesn't tend to freak people out as much bc many people don't automatically equate herbal craft w/witchcraft). My room is where I where my main altar is; where most of my witchy goodies reside, etc. My daughter's pretty good about not messing w/my stuff (prob cause she has her own little things as well) and my husband doesn't mess w/it. I do keep several things in a couple of the top drawers (like sage, incense, my "blow torches" aka big lighters, candles of certain shapes, and many other odds and ends).

I also keep a lot of things in decorative boxes that look like books, or cute storage boxes throughout the house bc no one ever suspects what's in them, lol. However, I don't change the way I dress for anyone. I still wear my talismans, certain jewelry that give, shall we say, distinct impressions. Maybe not EVERYTHING depending on my outfit/event, but certainly my talismans, rings, and usually bracelets. Being able to organize things in the way I wish, I do believe helps me w/regards to my practice.

Regarding the above post- I agree with you. Not everyone practices the same way. While I do agree that we can become too attached to material things, we live on a physical plane. Often the physical/material can help one connect to the non-physical plane(s). Certainly we all know that we can cast and practice w/nothing more than our minds, the elements, and the actual earth (although that too is part of the physical even though it's not a material possession), but not everyone loses the ability to connect to the elements and other things on our physical plane bc we're simply physically connected to them. I would argue that the ability to use our senses to connect w/them on a physical level is more powerful and can enable us to connect to them on a much higher level.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#8 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

My most commonly-used spell ingredients and tools are very organized. There is nothing- I do mean nothing- that will break my focus more than not being able to locate something that I suddenly [intuitively] realize I need in the middle of crafting. These items are stored in one of two places in my home, and no one but me touches them.

When I was still super duper new to my Path (ya know- last year?), I used to think that tools were a crutch. Now I realize they're just a convenience. If I need to get a gallon of milk, I'm probably going to drive to the store rather than walk. Why? Because I would rather use the time and energy that would be used for walking in other ways, for activities that are more beneficial to me at that time than hoofing it to the grocer. That same perspective applies to my Path now as well. For example: do I need kava and damiana to Travel? No. But they sure do make it easier, faster, and more convenient to do so. As long as my skills are developed enough to achieve the desired result without using tools or ingredients, I don't feel that I'm cutting corners by enlisting the aid of material objects.

#9 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

I walk a Spiral Path and as such, it's ever changing.

I went through a phase where I collected the tools and used them a lot. I went through a phase where I had down time and put the tools away and learned to access the energies I encountered through the tools without them.

Now I find myself picking some of them back up.

Sometimes, I think that using them in the beginning is kinda like training wheels. They can become a crutch if you let them - BUT - there are times when crutches are needed.

I think it's good to know how to use them and if a person chooses to - go for it! If a person chooses not to - go for it! It all circles back around anyway. Kinda like the original Mario Bros. for Nintendo. Once you rescue the last princess from the last castle - you start back at the beginning. The differences being - this time it's harder but the experience is there to overcome it.

#10 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:15 AM

My most commonly-used spell ingredients and tools are very organized. There is nothing- I do mean nothing- that will break my focus more than not being able to locate something that I suddenly [intuitively] realize I need in the middle of crafting. These items are stored in one of two places in my home, and no one but me touches them.

When I was still super duper new to my Path (ya know- last year?), I used to think that tools were a crutch. Now I realize they're just a convenience. If I need to get a gallon of milk, I'm probably going to drive to the store rather than walk. Why? Because I would rather use the time and energy that would be used for walking in other ways, for activities that are more beneficial to me at that time than hoofing it to the grocer. That same perspective applies to my Path now as well. For example: do I need kava and damiana to Travel? No. But they sure do make it easier, faster, and more convenient to do so. As long as my skills are developed enough to achieve the desired result without using tools or ingredients, I don't feel that I'm cutting corners by enlisting the aid of material objects.

Really like this analogy/explanation!

I walk a Spiral Path and as such, it's ever changing.

I went through a phase where I collected the tools and used them a lot. I went through a phase where I had down time and put the tools away and learned to access the energies I encountered through the tools without them.

Now I find myself picking some of them back up.

Sometimes, I think that using them in the beginning is kinda like training wheels. They can become a crutch if you let them - BUT - there are times when crutches are needed.

I think it's good to know how to use them and if a person chooses to - go for it! If a person chooses not to - go for it! It all circles back around anyway. Kinda like the original Mario Bros. for Nintendo. Once you rescue the last princess from the last castle - you start back at the beginning. The differences being - this time it's harder but the experience is there to overcome it.

This also makes a lot of sense to me. Oh and I totally lol'd at the Mario Brother's reference!! :rofl:

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#11 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:56 PM

My house is a ticking magical time bomb.......ever stepped on a blackthorn? Don't do it

I have two filing systems in my house, "Fuck it,' and....well, fuck it.

It works for me and I know where my stuff is lol

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#12 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:30 AM

:rofl: :rofl: You always make me laugh Aurelian!

Edited by bewitchingredhead, 07 April 2015 - 09:30 AM.

#13 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:45 AM

:biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

LOL Glad I could make you laugh! :smile:

Edited by Aurelian, 10 April 2015 - 05:01 AM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#14 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:25 PM

I try to be organized. I'm actually very good at getting organized. My problem is keeping it that way.

I told the guys I just want the rest of the boxes upstairs (now that we put down the attic floor). I want a blank slate to start working from in here. I have stuff from 4 houses packed into a 16something sqft house. I don't wanna look at boxes. I want to look at blank walls and then I'll organize. Clutter drives me nuts.

I'm really good at organized chaos. If anyone tries to clean up my stuff - I'm completely lost. And then there's a lot of times I completely forget I have something until I need it - and then it's usually on accident that I come across it and realize I need it.

So, did you guys set up your kitchen and then move everything around as you use it?

#15 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:01 PM

So, did you guys set up your kitchen and then move everything around as you use it?

For the first time since I moved out of my parents' place ten years ago, I'm living alone in my own flat since three weeks.
Such a liberation! While I spent the last ten years hiding what I can, I now just don't care if a few candles or books lie around. However, my tools are well stored and not there to be touched, examined or asked about by the muggles. I am very discrete with my craft, and the people who do know about it normally know bits and pieces and never the full story.

The most marvellous thing has been to be able to have a whole cupboard for my herbs. You have no idea the feeling of freedom that I felt in just organize them as I wish, label them properly and store them in a kitchen that I share with no one else. I work a lot with beeswax, and being able to keep the wax, moulds, ointments and pots just in my kitchen and not under my bed made me go around with a ear-to-ear smile for days. Normally the only comment that un-trained people make is: 'it's so amazing that you have so many herbal infusions to chose from!' :rolleyes:

So I opt for a mixture of 'plain in sight' and carefully hidden. There are charms and little spells in my house that you have to look for, but it would take a good witch a look around to out me.
I like it that way :)

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#16 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

For the first time since I moved out of my parents' place ten years ago, I'm living alone in my own flat since three weeks.
Such a liberation! While I spent the last ten years hiding what I can, I now just don't care if a few candles or books lie around. However, my tools are well stored and not there to be touched, examined or asked about by the muggles. I am very discrete with my craft, and the people who do know about it normally know bits and pieces and never the full story.

The most marvellous thing has been to be able to have a whole cupboard for my herbs. You have no idea the feeling of freedom that I felt in just organize them as I wish, label them properly and store them in a kitchen that I share with no one else. I work a lot with beeswax, and being able to keep the wax, moulds, ointments and pots just in my kitchen and not under my bed made me go around with a ear-to-ear smile for days. Normally the only comment that un-trained people make is: 'it's so amazing that you have so many herbal infusions to chose from!' :rolleyes:

So I opt for a mixture of 'plain in sight' and carefully hidden. There are charms and little spells in my house that you have to look for, but it would take a good witch a quick look around to out me.
I like it that way :smile:

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#17 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:34 PM

Oh, yes I do. I have 4 other people and a pack of fat yappy dogs under my roof right now and I'm completely out in the open for the first time with my entire family clan. It's an amazing thing. Granted - it's a little different but it's still the freedom to be who you are in your own home. It's beautiful!

#18 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:06 AM

I try to be organized. I'm actually very good at getting organized. My problem is keeping it that way.

I told the guys I just want the rest of the boxes upstairs (now that we put down the attic floor). I want a blank slate to start working from in here. I have stuff from 4 houses packed into a 16something sqft house. I don't wanna look at boxes. I want to look at blank walls and then I'll organize. Clutter drives me nuts.

I'm really good at organized chaos. If anyone tries to clean up my stuff - I'm completely lost. And then there's a lot of times I completely forget I have something until I need it - and then it's usually on accident that I come across it and realize I need it.

OMFG RR- my father is just like this!! Do not EVER attempt to clean his office at work or even his bedroom. It may look like the most disorganized place on the face of the earth, but he knows exactly where everything is in the midst of it all!! :rofl:

#19 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:50 AM

If my rooms a mess, my lifes a mess.

An inspection of my house gives you a perfect assessment of my state of well being. When I have to run around trying collect all my tools and books right before a guest follows me into a room you know shit has hit the fan.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#20 Marrena

Marrena

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

Most of the magic I do nowadays is of the feng shui kind, which involves a lot of home organization. My ability is along the lines of HULK SMASH, so unless I'm hexing incorporated entities (or I'm really mad), I'm pretty sparing with the outright spellwork. Also even good big change can cause stress. The results with feng shui are more gentle and natural. And anything that pushes me towards a cleaner, more organized home is good! And I like the way it turns all my possessions into magical tools. It seems right and natural to have my stove and broom :witchbroom: working magic.
And of course, some outright magical tools need proper placement and storage to "charge up". My tarot cards it's like charging up a battery to put them away wrapped up in silk. I can only do so many readings at one time before they lose their charge. Even in the Old Testament, the word "holy" meant "set apart". So physical placement helps keep sacred items sacred.

My home isn't obviously witchy. I've got two teenagers--if they decide when they are older that they are witches too, of course I'd be happy, but I don't want to be too much in their faces. Also I promised their dad when I came out of the broom closet that I wouldn't proselytize (except for astrology which is right there in the bible). So we celebrate the change of seasons, I have seasonal "decor", I have a some books on my shelves that would raise some eyebrows, lots of looseleaf herbal tea, more chimes and candles and incense than average, and several decorative statues of Egyptian deities, but aside from the books, nothing too obvious.