Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogga

16th century Icelandic grimoire

In Scandinavia very few original grimoires has survived. Most has either been burned (either separately or with the witch), hidden and forgotten, or buried with their practitioners. However...The Royal Library in Stockholm (Sweden) has a few that you could get photocopies of against a fee (at least you could do that before) and The Swedish National Heritage Board has a few in its archives. One of these... an Icelandic grimoire from the late 16th century has been digitalized and can be found online (se link below). I thought some of you would be interested, even thou its in Latin (i think)

This grimoire was partly written down on Iceland during the late 16th century, it came to Denmark in the early 17th century where someone that knew the craft completed it with the help of another Icelandic grimoire. The book was bought in Copenhagen by the Swedish folklorist John Gabriel Sparfwenfeldt in 1682 for the Swedish Archive for Antiquities.

http://katalog1974.raa.se/katalog1974/ipac/BookView.jsp?BookId=14&PageNo=10&MetaView=false

Nice find! I'm going to try to peck at this one a little bit. Latin isn't terribly difficult for me, it does appear to be Latin though. I'm surprised no one has translated it to Icelandic, Swedish, or even English yet.

Keep 'em coming! :D

The first part is much more easy to read than the second part. Thats not so surprising since the style in how you write changes a lot during that period.

Well i think it has been hidden away in the archives for a long time. So that could be it. I will give it a try thought...if I have time for it.

I doubt i will be this lucky to find links like this in a while...but I always keeps an eye to for stuff like this.