Photo
- - - - -

Solar eclipse, what does it mean to you?

Solar eclipse Eclipse Magic

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 CrowSnakeHareToad

CrowSnakeHareToad

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:41 AM

Hey everyone, Friday morning there will be a solar eclipse. The moon will be covering something like 80% of the sun where I am from in the Uk. I personally will be going to the beach to witness and honour this occasion.
What will you all be doing if anything.. If you will not witness this in your part of the world what does the eclipse mean to you anyway? Have you done any type of ritual on a solar eclipse. What do you think it meant to the traditional witch?

#2 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:46 AM

I always go outside for major (and even minor) astronomical events if weather permits. Last year was a crazy year for them too....although I didn't get to see several meteor showers bc of bad weather, BUT I did get to see Geminid meteor shower at the end of last year and it was freaking amazing!! We saw over 100 REALLY good ones within an hour's period. My husband and daughter had never seen one bc they're always asleep during peak viewing, but since this was over the weekend we all got to see them!! They were like, "NOW I KNOW WHY YOU ALWAYS GO OUTSIDE FOR THEM!!" LOL

So on the norm I'd always try to view it, but it doesn't look like it's gonna be visible here. :sad: However, I think Friday will be really special for us witches power wise bc it's a new moon, the spring equinox (here in the states), and a solar eclipse!! I'm still slightly irritated bc I haven't figured out what I want to do for it (spell and/or ritual wise) though...any ideas ladies and gentlemen? :smile:

I usually go here http://earthsky.org/...sun-on-march-20
or to NASA's website for the year's events. http://eclipse.gsfc.....gov/solar.html

Did you see/read about this since it might affect you?
http://www.bbc.com/n...siness-31951768

Edited by bewitchingredhead, 19 March 2015 - 07:47 AM.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#3 CrowSnakeHareToad

CrowSnakeHareToad

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:15 AM

Oh that's interesting, I didn't know about that, the power problems.

For spell/ritual work I'm thinking it will be a good time for most. I think hedge crossing would be a good one, seeing as it's a new moon too. Some cultures never do anything, in particular they wouldn't eat on the new moon because they thought it would make things impure, so some do a big cleanse after the eclipse.

I always go outside for major (and even minor) astronomical events if weather permits. Last year was a crazy year for them too....although I didn't get to see several meteor showers bc of bad weather, BUT I did get to see Geminid meteor shower at the end of last year and it was freaking amazing!! We saw over 100 REALLY good ones within an hour's period. My husband and daughter had never seen one bc they're always asleep during peak viewing, but since this was over the weekend we all got to see them!! They were like, "NOW I KNOW WHY YOU ALWAYS GO OUTSIDE FOR THEM!!" LOLSo on the norm I'd always try to view it, but it doesn't look like it's gonna be visible here. :sad: However, I think Friday will be really special for us witches power wise bc it's a new moon, the spring equinox (here in the states), and a solar eclipse!! I'm still slightly irritated bc I haven't figured out what I want to do for it (spell and/or ritual wise) though...any ideas ladies and gentlemen? :smile:I usually go here http://earthsky.org/...sun-on-march-20or to NASA's website for the year's events. http://eclipse.gsfc.....gov/solar.htmlDid you see/read about this since it might affect you?http://www.bbc.com/n...siness-31951768

#4 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:11 PM

Have you done any type of ritual on a solar eclipse. What do you think it meant to the traditional witch?

I usually do a working of some sort on an eclipse (solar and lunar). Granted, I usually feel it has a "sinister feel" to it (or at least very odd) when it's happening, but I don't know why. I'm getting way more comfortable with eclipses the past few years, at least. Eclipses are a powerful time for me and I learn something new from them, each time I work with one.

For some....an eclipse (solar or lunar) had to do with the union of opposites, I suppose. For me, the further I walk my path-the more this idea seems relevant to me, anyway. The energy also has that "liminal space" feel to it. The same kind of energy you can utilize at dawn/dusk, equinoxes/solstices, thresholds...ect.

I won't be able to see it over here in the states, this time around-but I'll be working with it anyway. It will be quite the addition to an already potent equinox ritual I will be doing.

I think most any type of spell crafting would be appropriate on an eclipse-I think the element of "change" would be important to think about when planning something...JMO

As an aside note; in hindu mythology/vedic astrology- during eclipses-it is the time when the demons rahu and ketu try to swallow the sun and moon

Anybody else know of any interesting eclipse lore/myth from around the world? I'd love to read about it.

Edited by Anara, 19 March 2015 - 12:20 PM.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#5 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

This eclipse will be special, for me. While I will not be able to see it from where I am, I will be using it for my work. A solar eclipse for me is bringing dark aspects into light aspects. For the eclipse, I will be using this as a form of both power and balance twofold - balance from the equinox, and balance from the celestial bodies. My hope is that I can harness this to bring greater balance to my physical self. I have problems working for myself, it is much harder for me than working with others, so perhaps this will ease that hump?

edit- for some reason I said solstice instead of equinox? corrected now

Edited by Ravenshaw, 20 March 2015 - 01:38 PM.

RSKHFMY

#6 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

I feel with this coming Equinox a time to reflect on the early struggle life has. So many casualties. The same can be said of our own ideas and aspirations. A great deal of energy and effort can go into birthing something which either due to circumstance or neglect dies before reaching it's full potential. Spring is a fragile time. I hope awareness of this will give me an advantage when I get round to reaping.

So this Equinox I shall be 'sowing seeds' and, as I will have more time this coming weekend, I will be making the rounds with Equinox offerings and gathering useful herbs for future workings.

Edit: Had to change 'Solstice' to 'Equinox'. :rolleyes: Someone needed coffee.

Edited by Pikkusisko, 20 March 2015 - 06:31 AM.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#7 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:30 PM

I am going to start germinating some special magical seeds during this event. I will plant them on the following full moon in two weeks. But I had a message in meditation to germinate these seeds on the next new moon - turns out a whole lot is going on during the next new moon (tomorrow during the eclipse, supermoon, equinox), so I understand why I got this message now....

Also going to make some ceremonial tea. Seems like a good day to make medicine.

#8 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

Although I'm at a high enough latitude to witness the eclipse, I'm on the opposite side of the planet, so the event will be happening before midnight in my time zone. I quite enjoy the personal tradition of scrying during eclipses that I started doing last year, and plan to do the same tonight.

Usually I wait until the day of equinox to perform a thorough housecleaning (in every sense of the word), but have felt strongly compelled all week to complete that chore today instead. I will be sowing seeds tomorrow for medicinal/"witchy" herbs. Then there's the basic stuff: ritual bath, spellcrafting, perhaps a bit of divining with bones or cards.

I'm not fond of rigid plans for auspicious occasions like this, because more often than not, I receive suggestions for other activities/tasks that end up being much more pertinent and rewarding than what I had originally planned.

Edited by ImamSua, 19 March 2015 - 05:46 PM.

#9 CrowSnakeHareToad

CrowSnakeHareToad

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:40 PM

I had a a strong feeling today to work with Genius loci on the eclipse. I think I am going to go to my spot where I work out doors and see if I can connect. Not sure if this has a history of eclipse and the genius loci being "closer" in the eclipse period? Anyone know?

#10 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:55 PM

I had a a strong feeling today to work with Genius loci on the eclipse. I think I am going to go to my spot where I work out doors and see if I can connect. Not sure if this has a history of eclipse and the genius loci being "closer" in the eclipse period? Anyone know?

Sort of an aside though but the eclipse should also tie into the Fae lore that is found in the British Isles. Especially in the sense of liminal boundaries being opened and one crossing back and forth. Unfortunately it may also tie into the lore of the wild hunt and the huntsman driving down the roads. If I recall correctly the story of the Green Knight also ties into the hunt and the liminal points. Not discounting the lore of Herne the Hunter.

#11 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:04 AM

This eclipse will be special, for me. While I will not be able to see it from where I am, I will be using it for my work. A solar eclipse for me is bringing dark aspects into light aspects. For the solstice, I will be using this as a form of both power and balance twofold - balance from the equinox, and balance from the celestial bodies. My hope is that I can harness this to bring greater balance to my physical self. I have problems working for myself, it is much harder for me than working with others, so perhaps this will ease that hump?

I realized a while back that when my daughter (who's only 9) and I do spellwork together for her, like helping her sleep, nothing super serious.. it seems to flow so much easier and the energy raised and sustained is amazing compared to when I attempt to do ritual work. I'm thinking that I often "overthink" ritual work for myself, hence why it doesn't flow as well for me solo.

However, when I do simple spellwork w/o much ritual involved (often something as simple as meditation w/a bit of incense is enough for me- actually many of my more successful spells have been that way), I fare much better.

I guess I'm saying I can relate bc even though I don't practice w/anyone else for my own work, the work I've done with/for my daughter was much different. We can FEEL the energies/elements/etc. besides our own.

I am going to start germinating some special magical seeds during this event. I will plant them on the following full moon in two weeks. But I had a message in meditation to germinate these seeds on the next new moon - turns out a whole lot is going on during the next new moon (tomorrow during the eclipse, supermoon, equinox), so I understand why I got this message now....

Also going to make some ceremonial tea. Seems like a good day to make medicine.

If it's not too personal and/or you don't mind me asking, what type of ceremonial tea? I make a lot of herbal teas, tinctures, etc. that I make in large quantities/batches at a time, but sometimes I'll make one w/certain herbs for specific purposes (like divining for example). Do you make a ceremony out of the entire process of making the tea or just use the tea for/during the ceremony itself?

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#12 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:16 AM

Quick question- do you guys consider right now, that is, early Friday morning to do your work- or tomorrow night, or late tomorrow night/early Sat morning for doing your work pertaining to this event? For example, right now where I live it's technically 1:15am Friday morning (but since I'm a night owl I typically refer to it as "Thursday night" lol)- are you working now into the morning, during the day, early this evening, or later this evening/tomorrow morning?

#13 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:30 AM

Tomorrow, I'm doing a full on egg hunt for the Equinox with my sons, who are 6 and 8. We won't be able to see the eclipse but I'll do something tomorrow night.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#14 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:39 PM

I feel with this coming Equinox a time to reflect on the early struggle life has. So many casualties. The same can be said of our own ideas and aspirations. A great deal of energy and effort can go into birthing something which either due to circumstance or neglect dies before reaching it's full potential. Spring is a fragile time. I hope awareness of this will give me an advantage when I get round to reaping.

So this Equinox I shall be 'sowing seeds' and, as I will have more time this coming weekend, I will be making the rounds with Equinox offerings and gathering useful herbs for future workings.

Edit: Had to change 'Solstice' to 'Equinox'. :rolleyes: Someone needed coffee.

I did the same thing lol!

RSKHFMY

#15 CrowSnakeHareToad

CrowSnakeHareToad

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:05 PM

I had a lovely morning. Although it was cloudy and you couldn't realy see the eclipse it certainly went dark and the energy in the air was eerie and quite magical. Here is a picture of my offerings I left during the eclipse. The pic was taken a little after the eclipse was at its optimeum "cover" as I was in a meditation/ritual while the eclipse was at its fullest. 2 crows followed us (I went with my partner) to the site where I done the working, then came swooping down and watched only 2 metres away, a definite sign I was in the presence of the spirits, as crows mean a lot to me. Then when we left they enjoyed the part of the food we left. My partner just couldn't beleive it, we have been together 3 months and is just getting used to my craft. Hope you all enjoyed the eclipse.

Attached Files

#16 CrowSnakeHareToad

CrowSnakeHareToad

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

I had a lovely morning. Although it was cloudy and you couldn't realy see the eclipse it certainly went dark and the energy in the air was eerie and quite magical. Here is a picture of my offerings I left during the eclipse. The pic was taken a little after the eclipse was at its optimeum "cover" as I was in a meditation/ritual while the eclipse was at its fullest. 2 crows followed us (I went with my partner) to the site where I done the working, then came swooping down and watched only 2 metres away, a definite sign I was in the presence of the spirits, as crows mean a lot to me. Then when we left they enjoyed the part of the food we left. My partner just couldn't beleive it, we have been together 3 months and is just getting used to my craft. Hope you all enjoyed the eclipse.
Attached File  image.jpg   160.31KB   0 downloads

#17 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

I got drunk. I'm not pagan, and while I hold certain things dear, I don't tend to worrk about the solar cycles.
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#18 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

Just as I expected, my plans have unfolded exactly opposite of what I intended. Instead of staying in the comfort of home and doing magic during the eclipse and waking up with the sun, I spent four hours aurora hunting. I found it droll that the I was quietly witnessing a solar event at the same time the much-hyped eclipse was happening at the precise opposite of my location. Here are my favorite of the 200+ photos I shot last night:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's going to take an obscene amount of coffee for me to get through the long list of activities I have planned for today. I actually forgot about traditional equinox festivities until Westofthemoon's post- wish I had the time or energy to do something other than the Workings that are more numerous than what I've accomplished in the last month- combined! :)

#19 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:16 PM

Stunning,,,,
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#20 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:18 PM

Just as I expected, my plans have unfolded exactly opposite of what I intended. Instead of staying in the comfort of home and doing magic during the eclipse and waking up with the sun, I spent four hours aurora hunting. I found it droll that the I was quietly witnessing a solar event at the same time the much-hyped eclipse was happening at the precise opposite of my location. Here are my favorite of the 200+ photos I shot last night:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's going to take an obscene amount of coffee for me to get through the long list of activities I have planned for today. I actually forgot about traditional equinox festivities until Westofthemoon's post- wish I had the time or energy to do something other than the Workings that are more numerous than what I've accomplished in the last month- combined! :smile:

Ahhhhh gorgeous!! I freaking miss those so much!! By far my most favorite thing from my days there.
Is that a shooting star in the third pic (to the right)? My husband's gonna be so jealous!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar eclipse, Eclipse, Magic