• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:52 PM

New competition, open to all members! What have you created that embraces the feeling of springtime?

Any type of creative expression can be submitted to this contest. Visual art (paintings, photography), writing (poetry, essays, spells), and handicrafts are welcome! If you feel like you don't have an "artsy" bone in your body, here are some other ideas: snapshot of a garden you've designed, recipe for dandelion wine you've perfected over time, eggs you've decorated for the season. Anything goes, as long as it somehow relates to the vernal equinox. :smile:

Oh, and there's a prize for the best contribution! Up for grabs is a travel kit for on-the-go witchery: ideal as-is for the discreet witch, but also perfect for those among us who enjoy embellishing items. Included is a wooden carry case, smudging feather, pen (driftwood body with porcupine quill writing nib), as well as one bottle each of walnut ink, sea salt, and wormwood.

Posted Image

The rules:
- There must be a minimum of 3 submissions for the grand prize to be awarded.
- Judging will be performed by me. Merit is evaluated for originality, execution, and effort. Upvotes and comments made by other members will also be taken into consideration when determining the winner.
- DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS MAY 1! Winner will be announced no later than May 5.
- Depending on the level of participation, I am prepared to add 2nd and 3rd place prizes as well.

Show us how you equinox! :witchnana:

Edited by ImamSua, 20 March 2015 - 05:54 PM.

#2 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:02 AM

This is so cool! I've never actually looked inside this particular part of the forum, lol!! Looks like I should more often. I have a few ideas I might give a go! :)
I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#3 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:27 AM

Uh oh. Seems I've fallen in love with the prize :biggrin2: I'll have to enter!

AW that is so gorgeous!!!

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#4 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:43 PM

Those are badass prizes! OOoooooooh I am excited!

RSKHFMY

#5 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:52 PM

I may be convinced to do a witches ladder....do with it what you will.
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#6 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

Don't be shy, folks! Just a friendly reminder that at least three members have to make submissions for the prize to be awarded.

#7 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:14 AM

Tomorrow I will be posting my dinner and crafts from equinox. Sorry it's taken so long!

RSKHFMY

#8 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:37 PM

Ooh. I'll have to try something. Maybe a song or a painting?

#9 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

So my submission.... and sorry this is late!!!

I took pictures for an etsy shop I am hoping to get off the ground soon. These are the pictures of the ingredients for my clay masks. *see attachment*

As the Wheel turns and we reach the season of rebirth, of fresh starts, of pushing away the cold dying-away and welcoming new warmth and life, that this would be a great time to start something new. I've wanted to do an etsy shop for a while, and now I've picked up my big girl pants and have begun to set it into motion!

For the equinox, we had a lovely dinner of pea and carrot parathas, tomato curry, and long grain rice:

Parathas:

1.5 cups of flour
3 tbsp oil
Enough water to make a soft dough

Filling:
Pea
Carrots, sliced thin
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp curry
2 tsp garlic
1 tsp onion powder
salt, to taste
water

In a pan, add the filling ingredients and almost cover with water. Let it cook at a simmer until the carrots are soft (took us about 20 mins). When the carrots are soft, use a masher and mash ingredients into a chunky paste.

Take the dough, tear off golf ball sizes pieces,roll into a ball, and use a spoon or finger to make a larger indent. Add a small spoonful of filling, pinch closed, and flatten out. Fry the paratha in vegetable oil until it is crispy on both sides - feel free to spread butter or ghee on each side!

Tomato curry:

You can use fresh or canned diced tomatoes for this - if using diced, use 1 can
2 tsp curry
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp coriander seed, crushed
2-3 thai or green chiles
Salt to taste

Add all ingredients to a pot, simmer until it gets thick and sticks to a spoon. This took us about 30 minutes.

Serve over long grain rice (we put a little saffron in ours), enjoy with a nice cup of jasmine tea!

Attached Files

Edited by Ravenshaw, 29 March 2015 - 07:22 PM.

RSKHFMY

#10 HeathenWitch

HeathenWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:55 PM

Oh I'll have to get my crafty on over the next few weeks. :biggrin2:

#11 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:04 PM

Bump.

RSKHFMY

#12 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

Seems we don't have long ! I'll need to submit my idea tomorrow.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#13 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:59 PM

Indeed, now with all the new members..... POST YOUR IDEAS!!!!

RSKHFMY

#14 HeathenWitch

HeathenWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:49 PM

I've been busy with the new fubabies and human baby and haven't had time to make anything :(

I don't think I'll be able to enter since what's left of this week will be spent getting ready for Beltane Festival this weekend.

#15 Ogga

Ogga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:16 PM

I was planning to participate. But my every day life with job, kids and such got in the way :( I won't be finished in time.

#16 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:37 PM

Last minute entry, sorry this took me so long.
Please forgive me for the poor quality of my phone camera, for some reason, I have trouble loading pics on here from my good camera.

Here are some of the eggs I decorated this year for ostara/ easter. I blew the yoke out so I can save them as ornaments. The two at the back with the leaves I must give thanx to Ravenshaw for the inspiration, they were coloured with natural dyes, coffee and blue berry. I wrapped them both in cheese cloth with a leaf inside, that is how I got the leaf print. Then just to make it pop a bit more, I outlined the print with marker.

The one with the apple tree was done the in traditional pysanky manner. My first time. I only did one because it proved to be ridiculously time intensive.

I'm not sure how well you can tell, but, but the other 3 pics are also of an egg I decorated, taken at different profiles. That was a dyed egg that got broken, and the inside looked so pretty, it reminded me of an under water scene, so made a little sea world inside it.

Attached Files

Edited by Solanaceae, 30 April 2015 - 09:03 PM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#17 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

Beautiful eggs Solanaceae! I really like the open decorated one as well with the shell inside.

#18 HeathenWitch

HeathenWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:57 PM

Not sure why I didn't think of this before, here is my Ostara ritual where we bless the seeds for our garden. Also, here's photo of my daughter in the garden with us planting seeds this past week, because cute baby is cute.

Ostara Ritual
1.Hallow the Compass:

(Start in the North, walk the compass 3 times)

“Compass edge by stand I do create,

A warding light flows in my wake.

Raise the powers as I do pace,

Secure within this hallowed space.”

2.Call the Land Spirits

a. Powers and spirits of the North, you to whom I turn at this direction, be with us now. Ancient spirits of the land join us in our work and empower our rite.

b. Powers and spirits of the East, you to whom I turn at this direction, be with us now. Ancient spirits of the land join us in our work and empower our rite.

c. Powers and spirits of the South, you to whom I turn at this direction, be with us now. Ancient spirits of the land join us in our work and empower our rite.

d. Powers and spirits of the West, you to whom I turn at this direction, be with us now. Ancient spirits of the land join us in our work and empower our rite.

3.Call the Ancestors:

a. Ancestors and great spirits of the otherworld, be with us now and empower our rite.

4.Statement of purpose:

a. “With the coming of spring we honor Ostara, goddess of nature, rebirth, and fertility. Ostara brings with her new beginnings and fertile land. Eggs, rabbits, and seeds are sacred to Ostara and are so sacred to us on this day.”

5.Divination:

a. “I have chosen runes as a divination source for us today. I have created each of these by hand imbuing them with the essence of our coven, our kindred bound with magic. “

b. “Take a rune and pass the bowl around. Once everyone has chosen a rune, we will help each other decipher the meaning and how it relates to our new beginnings. “

c. Study the runes that have been drawn and meditate on the meaning until it is revealed.

6.Eggshells:

a. “The giving of decorated eggs is symbolic of giving someone blessings of fertility, new life, and prosperity. Just as the hare gave Ostara decorated eggs, I give each of you these eggs today.”

b. “You may choose any colors that you would like. You can grind the shells into a powder, add herbs or oils, and use them as charm to carry with you daily or you can use them to bless your plants.”

7.Seeds:

a. “To mark the changing of the season and as a symbol of our sisterly bond, I want each of you to take some of these seeds and plant them.”

b. (Bless the seeds) “Ostara, you whose hand we sense in each new blade of grass, each budding leaf, and every flower emerging from the ground, we thank you for your many gifts and we ask that your blessing be upon these seeds that they may flourish and be as strong as our bond with each other.”

8.Offerings:

a. “Today I have prepared two meaningful offerings to Ostara and our Land Spirits, eggs and milk. We hope that these will be accepted and nourish the spirits.”

b. (Offer eggs and milk) “Hail Ostara, white-clad maiden, snow and ice melt in your gaze, flowers bloom with your every step. We have long awaited the coming of spring and welcome you at winter’s end. We praise you as you send Earth’s cold cover from here.”

9.Dismissal of Ancestors:

a. Ancestors and great spirits of the otherworld, we thank you for your aid in our right. Hail and farewell.

10.Dismissal of Land Spirits:

a. Powers and spirits of the West, you who have aided us from this direction, we give you thanks. Hail and farewell.

b. Powers and spirits of the South, you who have aided us from this direction, we give you thanks. Hail and farewell.

c. Powers and spirits of the East, you who have aided us from this direction, we give you thanks. Hail and farewell.

d. Powers and spirits of the North, you who have aided us from this direction, we give you thanks. Hail and farewell.

11.Dissolve the compass:

“Compass edge by stand I did create,

The warding light decreases in my wake.

Diminish the powers as I do pace,

No more are we within a hallowed space.”

Edit: I can't get the images to work :sad:

Attached Files

Edited by HeathenWitch, 30 April 2015 - 08:13 PM.

#19 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:00 PM

Last minute entry, sorry this took me so long.
Please forgive me for the poor quality of my phone camera, for some reason, I have trouble loading pics on here from my good camera.

Here are some of the eggs I decorated this year for ostara/ easter. I blew the yoke out so I can save them as ornaments. The two at the back with the leaves I must give thanx to Ravenshaw for the inspiration, they were coloured with natural dyes, coffee and blue berry. I wrapped them both in cheese cloth with a leaf inside, that is how I got the leaf print. Then just to make it pop a bit more, I outlined the print with marker.

The one with the apple tree was done the in traditional pysanky manner. My first time. I only did one because it proved to be ridiculously time intensive.

I'm not sure how well you tell, but, but the other 3 pics are also of an egg I decorated, taken at different profiles. That was a dyed egg that got broken, and the inside looked so pretty, it reminded me of an under water scene, so made a little sea world inside it.

Very cool!

RSKHFMY

#20 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

Not sure why I didn't think of this before, here is my Ostara ritual where we bless the seeds for our garden. Also, here's photo of my daughter in the garden with us planting seeds this past week, because cute baby is cute.

Ostara Ritual
1.Hallow the Compass:

(Start in the North, walk the compass 3 times)

“Compass edge by stand I do create,

A warding light flows in my wake.

Raise the powers as I do pace,

Secure within this hallowed space.”

2.Call the Land Spirits

a. Powers and spirits of the North, you to whom I turn at this direction, be with us now. Ancient spirits of the land join us in our work and empower our rite.

b. Powers and spirits of the East, you to whom I turn at this direction, be with us now. Ancient spirits of the land join us in our work and empower our rite.

c. Powers and spirits of the South, you to whom I turn at this direction, be with us now. Ancient spirits of the land join us in our work and empower our rite.

d. Powers and spirits of the West, you to whom I turn at this direction, be with us now. Ancient spirits of the land join us in our work and empower our rite.

3.Call the Ancestors:

a. Ancestors and great spirits of the otherworld, be with us now and empower our rite.

4.Statement of purpose:

a. “With the coming of spring we honor Ostara, goddess of nature, rebirth, and fertility. Ostara brings with her new beginnings and fertile land. Eggs, rabbits, and seeds are sacred to Ostara and are so sacred to us on this day.”

5.Divination:

a. “I have chosen runes as a divination source for us today. I have created each of these by hand imbuing them with the essence of our coven, our kindred bound with magic. “

b. “Take a rune and pass the bowl around. Once everyone has chosen a rune, we will help each other decipher the meaning and how it relates to our new beginnings. “

c. Study the runes that have been drawn and meditate on the meaning until it is revealed.

6.Eggshells:

a. “The giving of decorated eggs is symbolic of giving someone blessings of fertility, new life, and prosperity. Just as the hare gave Ostara decorated eggs, I give each of you these eggs today.”

b. “You may choose any colors that you would like. You can grind the shells into a powder, add herbs or oils, and use them as charm to carry with you daily or you can use them to bless your plants.”

7.Seeds:

a. “To mark the changing of the season and as a symbol of our sisterly bond, I want each of you to take some of these seeds and plant them.”

b. (Bless the seeds) “Ostara, you whose hand we sense in each new blade of grass, each budding leaf, and every flower emerging from the ground, we thank you for your many gifts and we ask that your blessing be upon these seeds that they may flourish and be as strong as our bond with each other.”

8.Offerings:

a. “Today I have prepared two meaningful offerings to Ostara and our Land Spirits, eggs and milk. We hope that these will be accepted and nourish the spirits.”

b. (Offer eggs and milk) “Hail Ostara, white-clad maiden, snow and ice melt in your gaze, flowers bloom with your every step. We have long awaited the coming of spring and welcome you at winter’s end. We praise you as you send Earth’s cold cover from here.”

9.Dismissal of Ancestors:

a. Ancestors and great spirits of the otherworld, we thank you for your aid in our right. Hail and farewell.

10.Dismissal of Land Spirits:

a. Powers and spirits of the West, you who have aided us from this direction, we give you thanks. Hail and farewell.

b. Powers and spirits of the South, you who have aided us from this direction, we give you thanks. Hail and farewell.

c. Powers and spirits of the East, you who have aided us from this direction, we give you thanks. Hail and farewell.

d. Powers and spirits of the North, you who have aided us from this direction, we give you thanks. Hail and farewell.

11.Dissolve the compass:

“Compass edge by stand I did create,

The warding light decreases in my wake.

Diminish the powers as I do pace,

No more are we within a hallowed space.”

Posted ImagePosted Image

Lovely ritual!

RSKHFMY