• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

I tried something new today...I used the Egyptian Book of the Dead for bibliomancy . I got some really creepy accurate answers. I know the Bible is a traditional book for bibliomancy , but what other books or myths would you use? As a side note, I want to try this with Irish texts as well. Maybe the Cattle Raid of Cooley?

Attached Files

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#2 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

I would try it with any of the Sword of Truth books. That's one hell of a magical set of volumes.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#3 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:13 AM

I have done this many times in the past with a Fiction novel/libertarian manifesto called The Illuminatus! Trilogy. The authors are known Chaos Magicians and it's one hell of a ride of a "story" that twists fiction and fact together in a psychedelic train wreck. There are strangely prophetic qualities to some of the tangential rambling in there...I even found a reference to Peter Jackson and Lord of the Rings on the same page....interesting considering the book was written in the 70's.
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#4 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:11 AM

I bet Lovecraft would be a goldmine for it.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#5 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:02 AM

I haven't used the Illuminatus!, but I have used the Schroedinger's Cat trilogy. My spouse relies on Adams' Complete Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Any book of sufficient size and variety can give good results, which was why many folk of years past used the King James: it was the biggest, weirdest tome around.

Bibliomancy is an oddly satisfying form of divination-- or maybe that's just me.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#6 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:10 AM

I've used the Bible, Mists of Avalon, Rebecca by Du Maurier, the witches bible by the Frosts, Piece by Piece (Tori amos's book), etc

Really any book will do in a pinch.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#7 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

I want to try it with a dictionary. Also, I thought I'd bring up something I've been wondering about for a while. 

I was doing my family history a few months ago, then had to stop because the free trial ran out :D Anyway, I discovered that part of my ancestry is from Wiltshire. I don't have any reason to believe/know that witches are in our family or anything like that, but I was interested in what sorts of practices the witches in that area do.

I found some records of people who'd been accused of witchcraft (which, as we know, may not have been actual witches), and put to death, with a brief description of the type of magic they'd been accused of using. One thing that came up from that, was the use of putting a green bottle on a book. They didn't go into much detail, but I took it to mean that they were using it in the context of divination? I was wondering if perhaps the bottle was to help choose a place on the page, to find words or pictures, perhaps? I'm curious to know if the fact the bottle was green had any significance, also?

I would love to find a small, green bottle at a second hand shop, to see how it would go with a dictionary, and possibly other books, too.

#8 Guest_SorcererSupreme_*

Guest_SorcererSupreme_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:30 AM

I wonder if it can be done with an eBook reader, like a Kindle or a Nook.

Not just one book, but hundreds to Divine from!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bibliomancy, egyptian book of the dead, bible