• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 MysticTheories

MysticTheories

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:06 AM

I grew up in a household that practiced witchcraft... I'm not sure to the extent my mother practiced, but I know it was a huge aspect in her life... I haven't practiced in a long time and I have no idea where to start... I psych myself out and cannot find the confidence to find a starting point... Where is a good starting point for somebody who is a bit rusty?

#2 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:24 AM

Not a great piece of advise but I'd think focusing on what aspect of the tradition you are drawn to. I say aspect as "Traditional Witchcraft" covers a whole lot of area's and practices to include but not limited to Hedge Witchary, Kitchen Witchary, Potions and Poultices witchary, Mid Wife witchary and each of those further broken down many times.

It's like it took some time before I really understood why recipe's in my family were guarded so long. It wasn't just for the sake of the recipe as a cook but also the Hidden things that often were part of it as well from a kitchen witch aspect. The same could be said of basic sewing and embroidery and just what each pattern was used for, ie fertility, faithfulness, punishment, serenity, etc each had a bit of Folk and Granny magics weaved into them.

Once you know what it is you are called to or wish to explore then I find many times you already then know where to look.

#3 MysticTheories

MysticTheories

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:48 AM

Not a great piece of advise but I'd think focusing on what aspect of the tradition you are drawn to. I say aspect as "Traditional Witchcraft" covers a whole lot of area's and practices to include but not limited to Hedge Witchary, Kitchen Witchary, Potions and Poultices witchary, Mid Wife witchary and each of those further broken down many times.

It's like it took some time before I really understood why recipe's in my family were guarded so long. It wasn't just for the sake of the recipe as a cook but also the Hidden things that often were part of it as well from a kitchen witch aspect. The same could be said of basic sewing and embroidery and just what each pattern was used for, ie fertility, faithfulness, punishment, serenity, etc each had a bit of Folk and Granny magics weaved into them.

Once you know what it is you are called to or wish to explore then I find many times you already then know where to look.

You're right... I know there is a lot of tradition in my family, but we're the first ones in a long time that branched off "into the occult"... So I believe a lot of what used to be passed down was lost. I was thinking of getting into a healing aspect, as I'm opening a rescue and will be using it on the animals.

#4 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:42 AM

I would advise to remember "Occult" basically means hidden knowledge so most of traditional witchcraft falls beneath it. The problem with it as a term is it has become heavily associated to ceremonial and high magical practices so people tend to see it as something different.

It's Christian but why not look into the blessing of the animals and such ceremonies to begin with? They are all basically healing and protection practices and probably very close to the old animal husbandry practices.

#5 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

Might be of use:

http://www.tradition...teach-yourself/

http://www.tradition...-terribly-lost/

http://www.tradition...-along-the-way/

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#6 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

Is your Mother still living? Is it possible to ask her about it?

I always suggest starting with your natural gifts. Spellcraft is merely one of them. And that's a Craft - it's learned. Some people are better at it than others but, ya know - practice, practice, practice.

Psyionics is a large field as well. There's a lot of good information that can be learned regarding your natural abilities. Learning to work with and hone them into a usable tool is the goal.

What are you drawn to? What do you love? What can you get lost in? Pursue that.

Are you looking for a religion or a practical craft? A combination? Neither? What are your beliefs on Deity? Does that play into your moral considerations in the Work that you'll do?

Search your memories from your childhood. Just review them like watching a movie. If you're Mom was a dedicated practitioner - you learned way more than you realize right now. For a long time I said I wasn't trained as a child. I was wrong - I wasn't trained in Spellcraft as a child. I was trained in many other things.

Take a look around the older posts here. What interests you? What grabs your attention and you want to read/learn more?

Welcome.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#7 MysticTheories

MysticTheories

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:40 PM

I would advise to remember "Occult" basically means hidden knowledge so most of traditional witchcraft falls beneath it. The problem with it as a term is it has become heavily associated to ceremonial and high magical practices so people tend to see it as something different.

It's Christian but why not look into the blessing of the animals and such ceremonies to begin with? They are all basically healing and protection practices and probably very close to the old animal husbandry practices.

I use the term "occult" lightly, as its the most generic label that I can place that my uber religious family used to describe my family... It was their "polite" term :wink:

I was thinking of learning protection and healing for the rescues, which I feel will take some research into good books and deeper knowledge of how to do it (I don't enjoy the froo-froo aspect of Wicca)

#8 MysticTheories

MysticTheories

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:48 PM

Might be of use:

http://www.tradition...teach-yourself/

http://www.tradition...-terribly-lost/

http://www.tradition...-along-the-way/

Is your Mother still living? Is it possible to ask her about it?

I always suggest starting with your natural gifts. Spellcraft is merely one of them. And that's a Craft - it's learned. Some people are better at it than others but, ya know - practice, practice, practice.

Psyionics is a large field as well. There's a lot of good information that can be learned regarding your natural abilities. Learning to work with and hone them into a usable tool is the goal.

What are you drawn to? What do you love? What can you get lost in? Pursue that.

Are you looking for a religion or a practical craft? A combination? Neither? What are your beliefs on Deity? Does that play into your moral considerations in the Work that you'll do?

Search your memories from your childhood. Just review them like watching a movie. If you're Mom was a dedicated practitioner - you learned way more than you realize right now. For a long time I said I wasn't trained as a child. I was wrong - I wasn't trained in Spellcraft as a child. I was trained in many other things.

Take a look around the older posts here. What interests you? What grabs your attention and you want to read/learn more?

Welcome.

Thank you for the links!! Those will be amazingly helpful. I will have to look up some books (yikes, I know... However, I'm very picky so I won't just take anything since I already have an idea what to look for)

Also, I'm not sure if I want to ask my mom or not. She's been slightly disconnected from that world for a while and has a pseudo-connection which seems so... Forced? I will have to think about discussing it with her. I'm naturally able to connect with animals (on a much deeper level than most) and am very sensitive to energies and spirits, even though I pushed that part down out of fear when I was younger... I've been told that I'm a natural at witchcraft subjects but I just don't even know how to start or where to start!! Its been years! Would you suggest finding a local group of traditional witchcrafters or is that a bad idea?

#9 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:55 AM

I grew up in a household that practiced witchcraft... I'm not sure to the extent my mother practiced, but I know it was a huge aspect in her life... I haven't practiced in a long time and I have no idea where to start... I psych myself out and cannot find the confidence to find a starting point... Where is a good starting point for somebody who is a bit rusty?

Well- for a practical lesson you could pick something that you want to accomplish and then figure out how to approach it through witchcraft- particularly good for something that seems beyond your grasp via a mundane method.

Edited by Belwenda, 15 March 2015 - 12:56 AM.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#10 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:48 AM

I agree with RoseRed. I took a bit of a scattergun approach to witchcraft at first and found it hard to develop my "groove" in an area that I excelled in--mostly because I was ignoring my natural gifts. For example, I spent many years focusing my attention on spirit work (and gained some proficiency with it), however, it took me quite some time to figure out that my "niche" is with organic life and the way geomancy and hydromancy affects plants and animals. I might not be the best to do spirit work in general because I'm rude, defensive and prickly towards spirits. I wasn't focusing primarily on biology as a spiritual path (in my early twenties I'm sure I outright ignored it...probably thought it was boring) but some years down the road I realized just how connected I was to plants and animals and adjusted my studies as such, it came to me very easily. I think we all have natural gifts and the task is to hone them and find a path that allows us to tap into them effectively. There's nothing wrong with being a "Renaissance" witch...a jack of all trades...whatever you want to call it...and some people might be just that. I think upon identifying the special place where the flow of the path seems to work with us the best is of tantamount importance when asking a question such as "where to start?"

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Caps, 15 March 2015 - 02:49 AM.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#11 MysticTheories

MysticTheories

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:40 PM

I agree with RoseRed. I took a bit of a scattergun approach to witchcraft at first and found it hard to develop my "groove" in an area that I excelled in--mostly because I was ignoring my natural gifts. For example, I spent many years focusing my attention on spirit work (and gained some proficiency with it), however, it took me quite some time to figure out that my "niche" is with organic life and the way geomancy and hydromancy affects plants and animals. I might not be the best to do spirit work in general because I'm rude, defensive and prickly towards spirits. I wasn't focusing primarily on biology as a spiritual path (in my early twenties I'm sure I outright ignored it...probably thought it was boring) but some years down the road I realized just how connected I was to plants and animals and adjusted my studies as such, it came to me very easily. I think we all have natural gifts and the task is to hone them and find a path that allows us to tap into them effectively. There's nothing wrong with being a "Renaissance" witch...a jack of all trades...whatever you want to call it...and some people might be just that. I think upon identifying the special place where the flow of the path seems to work with us the best is of tantamount importance when asking a question such as "where to start?"

Just my thoughts.

I am very in tune with animals. What would your advice be on working with "animal magic"? I feel that it will be very important when I open my rescue in healing abused and injured animals as well as preparing them for a new life- one of the reasons I want to take a healing pathway, so I don't have to pump them full of drugs (if I don't have to) and teach them love and caring from a human; witchcraft is much more intimate in my opinion.... Any suggestions on tools or starting points? I will be growing an herb garden, gardening in general, as I love nature and nurture :D

Thank you, all, for being so patient with me. I'm not good at socializing! I believe I'll be a more solitary practicer, however I was considering finding a small community in my area where we can throw around ideas and find "oneness" (Texas isn't known, usually, for its acceptance of all things witch)

#12 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:39 PM

I think that would fall under energy work and herbalism moreso than magic.

You need to realize that spellcraft is only one small part of the skillsets we utilize.

What type of healing are you thinking of doing? Energy work, Reiki, physical, crystal, acupuncture, herbal, etc? There are many different ways and areas in which you can help. Magic can most def be used in healing. I usually leave that to others that are far more Talented in those areas than I am.

Do you talk to trees and plants and streams and rocks and stuff? Have you ever tried?

I apologize that my post came across as a scattergun approach. I was kinda hoping that something in that list would catch her eye and perhaps help with a place to start.

Another good thing to do is hang out here. Read the old threads. Participate in the conversations. Use the quote function is something from an older thread speaks to you. We love resurrected posts around here (aka necroposting). There are some conversations that have gone on for years.

There ain't nothing wrong with being a Solitary. It's only in recent years that I've been working with others.

#13 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

To piggyback on the previous mentions of scatter-gunning and focusing your pursuits...

You may experiment with various traditions and find that, well, you have some degree of Talent in many of them! One possible approach is- as the others have mentioned- to stick with what resonates with you the most, what really "clicks" with your desires and natural gifts. However, one addendum to that approach I've personally learned is to frequently self-evaluate with "Just because I can, doesn't necessarily mean I should". It can be insidiously easy to over-extend yourself when starting out: I know I certainly did!

#14 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:24 PM

Look for Wexler's thread 'what i'd tell my newbie self'. There's some really good reading in there.

#15 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:16 AM

This one here:
http://www.tradition...your-newb-self/

In gaining experience with animals, most people are already familiar with dogs and cats, I expanded this to include all the animals in my immediate vicinity, including insects, bats, deer, snakes, etc. Simply exploring natural areas is a good way to connect with the flora and fauna that live there. If I go on a walk through the forest and find a bird I'm unfamiliar with, I will make note of it and look it up accordingly when I return, same with flowers, shrubs, trees, insects, whatever. Learn the living and growing habits of the life forms, what they represent, what their roles are...what kinds of soils do the plants grow within? What paths do the deer take? Why do they take them? Where does the water pool and where does it stay dry? What plants do the rabbits hide within? To connect with animals I think easily being able to put myself in their place is the most important, it goes far beyond empathy for them if they are abused/neglected pets. It means actually understanding their minds. I've spent many a night sleeping in the woods, following trails in the dusk and dawn, listening to the howls of the night predators and the cries of the nighthawks.

I dunno if that is helpful.

RoseRed, I wasn't implying that your post was scattergun at all since most of it was focused on "what are you already familiar with?" in a way.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#16 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:48 PM

-------------------------------------

I can totally identify with this.

Edited by JuniperBaby, 18 March 2015 - 11:14 PM.

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#17 Sandfire

Sandfire

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

At an early age my quest was a search for myself and the magick within. I saw what relatives and others were doing but no matter what I copied or tried I was always second to the finish line and I felt that I was always missing pieces. Point is for me I had to find the secrets within myself before I could experience any moments of nirvana or gnosis. When the time came for my eyes to open “it” found me I just needed to be ready for it. I believe this is partly what you’re asking and this is how it worked for me when I was young. I use meditation and reflection to search my inner self and to this day I continue to turn over the inexperienced pieces of my craft. I don’t believe the question, “where do I start” will ever be truly answered because everyday I’m starting something new…… I think it’s a journey with no end point. This is how it is for me and everything I just said is arguable of course. : )

#18 Coyote

Coyote

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

@MysticTheories - I think that everyone is unique and so too then, are the practices of those who wend the Old Ways.

When I was a young fella I remember asking an elder I respected about how I could "get started" on the same road he was walking. He replied that to get out into the woods was the first step and learning to be silent - on the inside as well as the outside - was the second step. From those two things, he told me, everything else would follow.

Thirty something years later, I can tell you that for me at least, he was right.

#19 TemperanceMoon

TemperanceMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:13 PM

Completely agree with much of what has been said, in particular learning to be patient and trust yourself and your interests.   I would add cooking/preparing food to the mix (if you like to cook/eat).  Through the growing, prep and consumption of it, you can explore many aspects of magic. Wishing you well on this ongoing journey <3 :cauldron:

#20 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:08 AM

A bit of advice is to pick one thing you really really enjoy and want to learn more about and practice it or learn more about it every single day. Don't slack off. Once you do that you can continue and add in something else or move on for a bit.