Sign in to follow this  
CrowSnakeHareToad

The Bible, psalms and magic

LOL, definitely! I was raised atheist (I'm not atheist anymore, but I still resonate highly with atheists and identify quite a bit with them), and when I first came upon this thread, I was very resistent to the idea of using the bible. Obviously, I've gotten into it, but really, anything that helps me to feel comfortable with it, and makes it more accessible to someone with my sort of background, is very much appreciated :) 

Oh man, I had some serious oppositions to using or working with anything that had a Christian imprint on it through the entirety of my teen years, and it continued to be a reoccurring roadblock afterwards as I began to really define my path. My detour into Buddhism and a study of the more non-dual, contemplative practices of Catholic mystics helped to dismantle my hangups in the area, and I'm really glad it did.

That's a good thing! I've come to a place, where I'm secure enough in what I believe, that no other religion can shake that, so I guess once I realised that, I had no problems trying this out. The only time I feel threatened by christianity nowadays is if someone tries to convert my kids, other than that, I'm in a good place with it all :)

That's great; shaking off the cold clammy hands that dogmatic institutions like to lay on folks can be some real bummer shadow work, but its so liberating to have it in your rear-view, ain't it? It was a rocky journey on this end, growing up in a little spit of a town where practically everyone went to the same church, but there's no better place to be than one of harmony with your surroundings. I should make good on this, though, and actually USE the psalms out of this lovely new book when it arrives. Can't just stare at pretty pictures and calligraphy!

I wonder if there's a Psalm that can help set right some seriously bad feline behavior. My cat pissed on my bedsheets last night, and it's been a longtime issue of her doing her business where I'd really rather her not.

Oh, that was an interesting read! Thanks for sharing. I started out using the psalms by changing the wording, such as the names of the gods, and also changing genders that were brought up. Then, after discussion on here, started using the psalms with words unchanged, but instead directed to one male god of mine. Both have worked very well.

I will say that the difference/benefit I've noticed to using the psalms exactly as is, is that I'm starting to remember the words better now as I read them. There's more flow. But certainly, changing them does seem to procure the same results for me.

The cat peeing on the bed is a toughy! Obviously, there doesn't seem to be anything specific in the psalms :P but, when it happens, does it wake you up and upset your sleep, or do you find it in the morning? If it's disrupting your sleep, perhaps you could try psalms 4 for good sleep? I really don't know. I've been having a dabble with different ones for day to day things at the moment, and it's been good to see what happens :)

Yeah, no, it just pisses me off well after she's done the deed and I finally discover it. She's had a problem of (heavily) marking things that she finds comfortable for a while now. I'll probably take her in to make sure it isn't an actual bladder health issue and take it from there....all in all, I really don't know how big of an effect coercive or corrective magic has on animals, or if there's even much on record about folks' success in that area. Hmm, potentially a topic for another thread.

The new psalter came in yesterday! Its beautiful, and heftier than expected; feels satisfying in the hands and the pages read well despite their artsy nature. Admittedly, something in my belly doesn't quite agree with me using the words as they are in the Jewish/X-tian raw of the scripture...a tinge of inner resistance that I could either put up with until it possibly normalizes and stops signaling the alarm, or step around by adapting the wording to better fit my ways. I'll give it a go for the upcoming weeks; have some banework to do, which only feels right, and I live in the same vicinity with the target so I can measure results or a lack thereof well enough. 

LOL! Gonna say something unpopular here, but I do not like cats. I mean, we have a cat here, I'm nice enough to her, but, nope. I can't handle the spraying. My partner and I were so annoyed today, we found out she'd been spraying on the bedroom floor right next to his side of the bed! Blergh! So if you find out, let me know! :P

I like dogs just fine. I have had both. However to say they are easier to house train is an absolute fallacy, at least that has been my experience. Cats are also far less likely to trash your house when you go out as well.

For those of you that have problems with cats leaving scent or peeing in the house, these are female un-spayed cats? I have a couple of suggestions that might help.

Aside from the obvious like making sure the box is clean and all that.

1- some cats can not stand sented litter, or to use the box if it doesn't smell like them.

2-when you clean the mess, use a citrus cleaner, not an ammonia based one. Ammonia smells like urine an will encourage the cat to pee there again. They don't like citrus smells and will avoid those places.

3-that behaviour can be a sign of stress. Are there changes in the household that they may not be adjusting to? Some cats will stress about something as simple as a new carpet.

4-there are synthetic cat pheromones you can buy that might help. It helps to calm the cat and let them feel at home.

5-are these indoor cats? Is there a place where they can safely be outside, supervised of course? Personally I have a cat harness for mine and when weather permits I take him out to the yard to do his business. He feels better and gets to mark his territory and get some fresh air.

Failing that, is there a space she can at least sit and look out the window at the birds or soak up sun? That alone does wonders for a cats wellbeing.

Edited by Solanaceae
  • Upvote 1

LOL! Gonna say something unpopular here, but I do not like cats. I mean, we have a cat here, I'm nice enough to her, but, nope. I can't handle the spraying. My partner and I were so annoyed today, we found out she'd been spraying on the bedroom floor right next to his side of the bed! Blergh! So if you find out, let me know! :P

Gasp! The horror! A witch that doesn't like cats!

Jk, you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong lol.

Seriously though, not all cats spray and when they do there is usually an underlying reason for it. So if that is your only reason for not liking them, it is not a good one!

LOL, Solancea! Not liking cats isn't popular anywhere, I've found :P Thank you for your suggestions, I will definitely have to look into what the cause could be. I just assumed it was because cats are arseholes. Nah, I don't just dislike cats for their spraying, it's their entire personality as well :P But this cat was a rescue, I didn't actually want it, but everyone else did, and I thought at least we did right by the cat.

Our cat does have a couple of windows she likes to watch birds in and soak up the sun. But, we also have a LOT of cats roaming our street, and as a result, our yard, spraying everywhere. Could that be causing her distress? She is an indoor cat only. Maybe we could try a small cat run, or something? I don't think any of us are skilled enough to put a harness on her!

Thanks for the tips, Solanaceae! A lot of that I have actually tried before, and I stock up on Feliway diffusers whenever a change which may be major to a cat takes place, like when we move furniture around or a lot of heavy spellwork has been happening in the house. I didn't know about cats avoiding citrus scents, though, so I may try scenting problem areas with an orange essential oil concoction. I should probably be careful about it, though, as too much of an undesirable thing might have the adverse effect of stressing her out further. Where we live right now isn't at all safe for her outside, but when I move this summer, it will hopefully be to a quieter and more scenic location. Ideally, I'd love to have a house with a sunroom that I can set a kitty tower up in; she'd go nuts with glee. 

Edit: I apologize to anyone coming to this thread for Psalms talk. We derailed into cat care, lol.

Edited by Phaedra

I realize this is an old discussion and not really on topic either, but I had a spraying issue with my cat when we moved. The neighborhood cats were marking our doors from the outside and it was driving my cat crazy. We found if we move his litter boxes. (He has 2) by the doors. He is more comfortable because he overwrites their scent. Plus we found that sprinkling cinnamon on the shrubs near the doors keeps the strays away from our doors. It's funny to watch the stray early in the morning doing his rounds and skipping our door lol. cats hate cinnamon.

Back to the topic, I do not believe that hymns, psalms or the Bible  has any business in the witch business.  Remember the Burning times!   Burn a Catholic, see how they like it.!

Edited by Onyx
  • Upvote 1

Back to the topic, I do not believe that hymns, psalms or the Bible  has any business in the witch business.  Remember the Burning times!   Burn a Catholic, see how they like it.!

And yet, IMO a cunning Witch can take up any weapon that comes their way, and, being that the English language that we are using is coded and weaved with Christianity, there is no way around using it. And, to be a "devil's advocate," I ask, besides, why not? It's just words and this may not make any sense, it doesn't even to me, but I have this deep knowing that I can use those spells in Psalms, and that they do work.  A lot of this may have to do with my Catholic grandmother who admitted to me that she was psychic, and was very surprised one time before she died when I was able to "look through her." She taught me Catholic prayers and Saint Mary has come to me specifically during times of great peril. I cannot discount that. Others who have crossed my path during perilous times have blessed me with very specific psalms, and I could tell that those people were very powerful Cunning Women, and I accepted those blessings... and I know they protected me.  I know that this seems to flout in the face of both Christians and Witches alike, but, well... I don't know, lol. Way it seems to me now is that we can't really understand, being mere humans, how this stuff really works. As a Witch I am a Priestess in my own right, but that does not mean that I have a complete understanding of the Divine. Far from it. I only know what I know, but it seems to me that there is a lot more going on than I can see. And on the other hand, we humans "invent" a lot of stuff, and then assume it's True, and sometimes even destroy each other in the names of these concepts that we either misunderstand, or, invent.

Yet, despite that I am willing to, and do, embrace working with some Christian concepts at this time, I am also finding more and more as I go along that it is important for me to separate myself from the cult of Christianity. They have not apologized for their acts of Genocide and I take that very seriously. In a similar but also very different vein, I work to separate myself from "whiteness" that is responsible for the genocides of native people. I actually see the Burning Times and the genocide of Native People of Turtle Island to be the exact same problem in the Indo-European line, but that is a huge can of worms indeed. Not expanding on that here but I have explored it a bit on my blog if anyone wants to read that https://bendingbackward.wordpress.com/2019/02/11/why-do-people-say-get-over-it-unaddressed-ancestral-suffering-in-the-european-lines-must-be-acknowledged-mourned/ )

There are many layers to this also because those were acts of Humans, based on a construct, rather than an act of Divinity or "God." Separating the God of Xianity from the people who follow the creed is hard enough, but even harder when we have to acknowledge Gnosticism and how Tarot originates from that tradition.

I have been struggling with this question for a long time and only seem to encounter more questions. In fact you would be a good person to ask about this, being that you have worked with Thoth Tarot and Crowley for much longer than I have: how do we reconcile that as Witches, the Christian construct are against us, and yet, when when we study the Tarot we find that the origins of that system are seeded from Sephiroth and Hebrew, which, though before Christianity, is of the same God? Thoth Tarot has a Rosy Cross on it, RWS has an Angel giving Judgment. The imagery is straight from Revelations. Seems that the overlap is unavoidable.

I also struggle with this due to being Rainbow, which has very strong ties to the Twelve Tribes of Israel and the tales of 144,000 elect. I don't know much about that, but, I've heard enough about it to not be able to write it off so easily. To be quite honest though I think that on a much higher level, most of these seemingly opposing belief systems are actually talking about the same thing, it's just that because of how our languages cannot actually show the real Truth, that we think we are in disagreement, and that's why all the fighting... thus the Tower of Babel which, here we go again, is a Christian idea that seems to be so accurate that we use it as Witches. Of course Tarot itself is not an ancient Folk art, but developed out of Medieval and therefore Christian times.

It's my opinion that the Catholics (at the high levels) know about Magic but put so much effort into trying to eliminate us because they wanted the power for themselves. Of course, it didn't work. And we remember. I shudder to think of the day when they will have to take responsibility for all of that. Would that be Judgment Day? LOL I suppose that sometimes I have to put my sense of compassion to the side though and let the natural laws do what they do.

Going even further back to the beginning of Christianity, when they killed Jesus, well, he was pretty witchy if you ask me... when he cursed the Fig Tree is a good example. Seems to me that those in "power" didn't like that, and, well, that was the beginning of the whole stream of Bullshit we have been fighting against since.

Yes my question conflates Catholicism and the "Holy Roman Empire" alongside YHWH, but of course because of the Old Testament, that is inevitable. So many witches practice traditions that work directly with energies that are derived from these traditions. Solomonic magic, Goetics, Angel workings, just for a few examples passing through my mind. All "High Magic" yes, not Traditional/Folk, but, magic nonetheless. Not a big fan of having to refer to either/or dichotomies but for the sake of simplicity, oh well. If we're taking the Old Ways in purity, unchanged by Xian influence it's easy to see the difference, but I don't think any of us have escaped the influence of the domination of the Romans. Witches who were not raised in Abrahamic culture (I would love Strigid13's opinion on this) would probably have a more objective point of view here.

Parsing out what is Ancient from what is Corrupt is very difficult, whether in one's own mind, or in words. Sorry if this question is a little all over the place. I haven't quite organized it in my own mind myself. Hopefully you get what I am saying though.

Edited by phantasmagoria
  • Upvote 2

I understand what you are saying and do agree that in order to live in plain sight, one would probably have to use the religion de jour,  part of it anyway.  worshiping "The Mother"  The Father and the Sun/Son.  I just cannot agree with the seemingly hypocritical way of doing it. Taking over Holy Wells,  and Places of Power. Calling them their own and co-opting them for their own agenda.  I guess I'm really not a fan of having to hide.  Frankly it is time to stop.

• Upvote 1

That's why I don't hide anymore. Easy for me to say, yes, being from a geopolitical area where I am privileged to not be persecuted. I find the more I accept myself, and allow myself to be as I am, the more I attract others who are truly beneficial for me to have in my life. I would love to help create a world where a person's religious beliefs are not called into question, as long as they are not hurting innocent living beings in the name of that religion. If my being-in-the-world can help normalize Witches, then, great. And as much as this is not a Wiccan site, I am very grateful to Wicca, very grateful indeed, because they paved the way for us to be safer in the world. I am in my mid 30s, and by the time I was coming of age, being a Witch was not considered so horrifying anymore. Weird, yeah, but not a crime, not even a social crime where I grew up (NYC metro area). We are not done, though. Many more are awakening in these times. The Earth will speak through many more of us than we know now. We will return to the Old Ways because we will have no choice. The time of conquest has already died. Now people have to catch up. If people want to celebrate a Biblical God, or whoever, fine with me, I don't give a crap what people call their God by name or what is on their altar as long as they recognize that the Earth belongs to all of us, we share it, we are of it, and we have to treat Her with respect and live according to Her natural laws, and the natural laws of our Cosmos. "Killing in the name of ....." doesn't make the ..... the problem. The problem is the crime itself. There is no God who has any place on this planet that would have any investment in its destruction. Any and all religions should be praying and acting for protecting our Nature.

"They" are still taking over Holy Wells and Places of Power. This is happening right now in Canada and the US. But they are not doing it in the name of Religion to control the populous anymore. Instead, they are doing it for money, out of sheer greed, not even caring about their own children, not even having the decency to come up with an excuse. It is time for us to stop hiding, all of us that have the privilege to not be killed for who we are anymore.

I found this written piece recently, called "manifesto of apocalyptic witchcraft." Chills all over reading this. I would buy the book, but it is almost $100. It's only $10 on Kindle, so maybe. We'll see. For now, though, here's a pasting:

1. If the land is poisoned, the witchcraft must respond.

2. It is not our way if life, it is life itself which is under threat

3. Witchcraft is our intimate connection to the web of life.

4. We are the Witchcraft.

5. Our World has forever changed. The trodden paths no longer correspond. Witchcraft thrives in this liminal, lunar, trackless realm.

6. We are storm, fire and flood.

7. We will not be denied.

8. Witchcraft is the recourse of the dispossessed, the powerless, the hungry and the abused. It gives heart and tongue to stones and trees. It wears the rough skin of beasts. It turns on a civilization that knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

9. If you have no price you cannot be bought. If you do not want you cannot be bribed. If you are not frightened you cannot be controlled.

10. Witchcraft is folk magic, the magic of the people and for the people.

11. We call an end to the pretence of respectability.

12. We will not disarm ourselves.

13. The war is upon us.

14. Choose then to become a Mask.

15. Those with nothing left to lose will dare all.

16. There is one Witchcraft under many names. There is one Grand Sabbat on one mountain. There are many ways to fly. There is no witness present at the Sabbat.

17. Witchcraft is a force, not an order. Witchcraft is rhizomatic, not hierarchic. Witchcraft defies organisation, not meaning. We simply bear the marks.

18. Witchcraft is power and possesses this in ekstasis, sex and ordeal.
Witchcraft is unbridled sexuality.

19. In witchcraft it is the woman who initiates. We challenge man to be the equal of this woman.

20. Witchcraft is the art of inversion.

21. Witchcraft is the beauty which is terror.

22. Witchcraft is a myth, which drawing on the past, clothes itself in the symbols of (its) time.
Witchcraft does not mistake myths for history, it harnesses them to transform the future.
Witchcraft knows the ground upon which it stands.

23. Witchcraft honours the spirits. Witchcraft enchants for the lost. Witchcraft will not forget.

24. Witchcraft embodies our ancestors and saints, they carry us with them.

25. To Her is offered the blood, to use the care of the ask and bones.

26. The example we follow is our own.

27. The practice of witchcraft is one of revolution and of the power of woman.

28. The Goddess who speaks through us is known among men as Babalon.

29. Witchcraft concerns itself with mystery. Through the gates of mystery we come to knowledge. Knowledge enters us through the body. The highest form of this knowledge is Love.

30. Every drop of blood is sacrificed to the grail. Love cannot be bought with any other coin.

31. We seek and drink this wine together.

32. Will is finite, passion infinitely renewed.

33. Witchcraft is present, its is ensanguined and vivified. Witchcraft is prescient, it gazes on the future. Witchcraft is oracular, it will not hold its tongue. Our time has come

from Apocalyptic Witchcraft by Peter Grey, published by Scarlet Imprint

Edited by phantasmagoria

This is an insightful discussion on Psalmic Magick. In fact I really like this guy he's got a lot of good videos.

@phantasmagoria, I think you may find it interesting. I think I'll be looking into this channel to get insight into the old traditions.

QUOTE: "Do the Psalms really have a legitimate place in the Craft? Absolutely! It is one of the oldest magical traditions still in practice today. It’s normal for many contemporary magical practitioners to have a resistance to using anything biblical as a magical tool, and it definitely is not for everyone! However, the historical use of the Psalms by practitioners of magic is vast. If anyone is interested in the “Old Craft,” the Psalms are one of the oldest magical practices still in existence. If you can get past any resistance to the Biblical language and can understand the inner meanings that hide in the Psalms, it becomes clear that these pieces of magic may actually be based on something much more ancient than the Bible itself. The Psalms constitue a legitimate historical and contemporary place in the corpus of magical practice in the Western Occult Traditions, and in Traditional Witchcraft specifically.

In practice, you may work the Psalms with or without any added ritual, but do so prayerfully and meditatively. One verse at a time. Digesting each line; reverently asking to be shown the inner meaning of each line; conversing with the Psalm. This is how we plant the sacred seeds which are hidden within each verse of every Psalm. These seeds take root deep within our subconscious minds and burn out all the destructive, malignant beliefs we have picked up throughout our lives, and which have been bringing us so many troubles. Any type of magic or prayer that gets results does so by replacing these destructive thoughtforms with new, healthy thought-forms which in turn bring about every good thing in your life. You deserve all the blessings of life right here and right now. Work your chosen Psalm sincerely and reverently, and then simply let the Psalm do the work for you. Let go and trust that the situation is working out in the most marvelous way possible and that you are eager to watch it get solved! Then simply do what is in front of you to do. Claim Divine Guidance, and check in with your inner guide before taking action. Take things one little step at a time. Claim and know that every step you take is being guided by your Inner Guide. Remind yourself courageously that all is well and you are FABULOUS, regardless of any evidence to the contrary. Psalms belong to YOU! No one owns the Psalms. They are God's gift to YOU! You don't need to identify as a follower of any faith to pray the Psalms. Likewise, you are not EXEMPT from praying the Psalms if you DO identify as a follower of any faith. Atheist, Catholic, Satanist, Jew, Protestant, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Wiccan, "spiritual but not religious..." All are welcome to the Psalms. They are a gift to all, from Infinite Spirit.

The Psalms work. In Psalm magic, "God," or "The Lord," means the Source of all life, however it reveals itself to you. We are not praying to a God of any particular religion; rather we are acknowledging a power higher than ourselves and respect that many cultures and religions have used the Psalms as part of their practice. God, in this respect, is the Life Principle, not a specific deity. It is that which causes your heart to beat right now, this very second. We think of God is all our good. God is perfect Love. God is pure Principle. God is present everywhere. God is the source of all Power. God is all that can be known. God is wisdom. God is intelligence. God is Mother. God is Father. God is Spirit. God cares for each of us, personally. Each beat of our heart, each breath, each time we heal a cut or scrape, we can be reminded of the amazing force that is available to us for our own use, for very specific and definite purposes. YOU are made by God, OUT of God. You are literally the stuff OF God. Magically working the Psalms brings you back from your own “vain imaginings” and into the "House of the Lord," which simply means the Presence of peace, the state of being where all your good is available for you to claim. You can go there right now, you don't have to wait. Heaven is not a place, it is an awareness of our connection to all power. Those who work the Psalms every day claim that their happiness, peace, and well-being is assured."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Ar0NC29qo&list=PLDi9K2RECQTYrsiE_lx5jz5fT9gT9J9oX

Edited by WitchVillage
  • Upvote 2

Sign in to follow this