Sign in to follow this  
CrowSnakeHareToad

The Bible, psalms and magic

That'd be one hell of a parade to watch walking into a church now-a-days.

Hahaha " i am here Lord, and I did not expect my day to go like this! ...What now?!"

"Hey Bible, what will my day hold for me?"

"The Lord answered, 'Bring me a heifer three years old, a she-goat, three years old, a ram three years old, a turtle dove and a young pigeon.'"

:kat:

OMFG!! :roflhard:

That is an interesting concept.To be honest I have never thought about using the bible for anything; craft related or not. Hmmm..Soon I will be living with my best friend.She has a bible.Could be interesting...

I grew up Catholic, which is highly mystical..I use biblical magic all the time....although, it is more part of my hoodoo practice. Want the nastiest curse you've ever seen? Psalm 109. You have no idea what I've done with that verse, some tequila, and assorted...things.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I grew up Catholic, which is highly mystical..I use biblical magic all the time....although, it is more part of my hoodoo practice. Want the nastiest curse you've ever seen? Psalm 109. You have no idea what I've done with that verse, some tequila, and assorted...things.

I'm all ears! :twisted_witch: LOL

And holy shit- remind me not to piss you off!! What's NOT included in that psalm for cursing?!! So do you use the Catholic bible then for your Hoodoo?

That's also another thing I forgot about getting over my adversion to using the bible in magic- I have so much of it fucking memorized. Never thought THAT would the benefit I got out of going to church growing up :rofl:

I just had my brand new bible arrive today, thanks to this great thread ???? I did my first ever psalm curse at the last full moon and it was a pain, researching psalms on the computer.

I’m curious; which other parts of the bible are good for spells? Does anyone have any suggestions? I’m keen to dig in with my new tool ???? also, I’d love to use some verses for cleaning, but I’m not sure what’s good for that.

The psalms are great for all kinds of working. I will post a reference for those interested in its own topic.

Specifically for cleaning,one of the best is 51:7 "purge me with hyssop".

Edited by Solanaceae
  • Upvote 1

The first that came to my mind for using the Bible were the Songs of Solomon. I’m thinking some interesting love magic could be worked; or at least a good old fashioned lust spell. 

• Upvote 2

If I didn't worship the gods I do I might. I am not comfortable using anything Christian in my practice. 

I've always liked St Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Sun for making circles. A browse through Amazon books for Psalm Magic brought up a couple familiar books: William Alexander Oribello's "Candle Burning with the Psalms" (there's a less expesive "travel" edition as well) and Anna Riva's "Magic of the Psalms.".

Ive cultivated a custom of year+a day study, devoting a year to one topic at a time as it appealed to me, & taking it at my leisure. Roughly 20 years ago I'd spent a year with Psalm magic, practice & made notes, etc., yadda yadda. Can't beat a seven day candle and a psalm for hex breaking. I figured my semi-Christian upbringing is stamped on my psyche so I may as well make it work for me.

Ive dug out my old Notebook & here's a short list of what I'd used:

Disturbing ghosts & spirits, Ps 144-145

Good fortune, Ps 65

Health, receiving healing Ps 6, 21

Help in time of need ps 18

Hex break, uncrossing Ps 7, 8

Increase understanding of situation Ps 119, verse 105-112

Increase wisdom Ps 119, verse 97-104

Mental clarity Ps 115

Psychic development Ps 78

Repel all harmful conditions Ps 100

Spiritual enlightenment Ps 25

Thanksgiving Ps 30, 116

If there is a name of the god-form in the Psalm then etch that name on a candle, or use a marker to write on the glass encased type. Traditionally you'd dress votive or taper candles with olive oil by rolling them between your oiled palms. Glass jar candles get 3 drops of olive oil on top in an upward triangle (fire symbol) and then it's spiraled around from the wick outwards. Recitations are done three times each for three days = 9. Several other methods exist bcs there's never just one way to do anything, right?

Ps 119 has some specific healing texts. It has 22 divisions, each with 8 verses. Each of the 22 divisions starts with a Hebrew letter as a power form that can be used like a rune or sigil & etched in the candle. Use the one that starts the division containing the verse you use.

Ps119:

Arms, lines 97-104 right side, lines 121-128 left side

Depression, lines 49-56

Ears, lines 153-160 right side, lines 169-176 left side

Eyesight, lines 17-24

Headache, lines 161-168

Hip, kidneys, liver lines 65-72

Left leg, lines 145-152 (edit: right leg is vs. 97-104, same as right arm)

Palsy, lines 1-8

Torso, lines 57-64

Edited by Zombee
  • Upvote 4

Great post Zombie, thank you for the info!

I do like working with the saints and their prayers as well.

I've always liked St Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Sun for making circles. A browse through Amazon books for Psalm Magic brought up a couple familiar books: William Alexander Oribello's "Candle Burning with the Psalms" (there's a less expesive "travel" edition as well) and Anna Riva's "Magic of the Psalms.".

Ive cultivated a custom of year+a day study, devoting a year to one topic at a time as it appealed to me, & taking it at my leisure. Roughly 20 years ago I'd spent a year with Psalm magic, practice & made notes, etc., yadda yadda. Can't beat a seven day candle and a psalm for hex breaking. I figured my semi-Christian upbringing is stamped on my psyche so I may as well make it work for me.

Ive dug out my old Notebook & here's a short list of what I'd used:

Disturbing ghosts & spirits, Ps 144-145

Good fortune, Ps 65

Health, receiving healing Ps 6, 21

Help in time of need ps 18

Hex break, uncrossing Ps 7, 8

Increase understanding of situation Ps 119, verse 105-112

Increase wisdom Ps 119, verse 97-104

Mental clarity Ps 115

Psychic development Ps 78

Repel all harmful conditions Ps 100

Spiritual enlightenment Ps 25

Thanksgiving Ps 30, 116

If there is a name of the god-form in the Psalm then etch that name on a candle, or use a marker to write on the glass encased type. Traditionally you'd dress votive or taper candles with olive oil by rolling them between your oiled palms. Glass jar candles get 3 drops of olive oil on top in an upward triangle (fire symbol) and then it's spiraled around from the wick outwards. Recitations are done three times each for three days = 9. Several other methods exist bcs there's never just one way to do anything, right?

Ps 119 has some specific healing texts. It has 22 divisions, each with 8 verses. Each of the 22 divisions starts with a Hebrew letter as a power form that can be used like a rune or sigil & etched in the candle. Use the one that starts the division containing the verse you use.

Ps119:

Arms, lines 97-104 right side, lines 121-128 left side

Depression, lines 49-56

Ears, lines 153-160 right side, lines 169-176 left side

Eyesight, lines 17-24

Headache, lines 161-168

Hip, kidneys, liver lines 65-72

Left leg, lines 145-152 ( apparently I didn't record right leg) :(

Palsy, lines 1-8

Torso, lines 57-64

I love this idea :) What a great way to get in deep with some learning. I've just recently purchased 'power of the psalms from book depository, but amazon also has it. I've heard good things. 

Yea, that's the right title. I had it as "magic" but it's "Power of the Ps." I was also thinking of Charmaine Dey's "the Magic Candle"... which is another one of those classic books.

• Upvote 1

Haha! I realised later it was the same author and I did wonder ???? thanks, I’ll check that one out, too

I use Psalms to prepare pentacles, and in ceremonial magic. There are a lot of grimoires that suggest their use for that purpose. Most prayers I use to contact spirits and during rituals are based on psams or they contain some extracts from the Bible.

• Upvote 1

I use Psalms to prepare pentacles, and in ceremonial magic. There are a lot of grimoires that suggest their use for that purpose. Most prayers I use to contact spirits and during rituals are based on psams or they contain some extracts from the Bible.

That sounds interesting :) do you do candle magic with your psalms, as well?

My Power of the Psalms book and my Psalms of David by Freemantle came yesterday. I'm really starting to get into these Psalms, I really enjoy them. And the Freemantle version of Psalms of David is absolutely beautiful :) it feels so old school and magical. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. It helps me to feel inspired when I'm doing my Psalms, because the beautiful calligraphy and illustrations seem to raise my vibe quite a bit.

Just looked up the Freemantle version. It really is beautiful! I love its homey and artistic style. I have my grandma's old Trinity Psalter from the Presbyterian church she was very active in while she was with us. The Psalms in it have been rearranged to rhyme as they were used in song, and I'm not sure how I feel about the changes. On one hand, they're easy to memorize, but on the other....eh, I'm a purist. That Freemantle version from what I could see in a preview is right up my alley.

• Upvote 1

Phaedra, it's unbearably beautiful :) I feel like I'm peeking inside a very old, gorgeous notebook. Sigh. And it really enhances my enthusiasm for it all.

Well, I don't need any more convincing. It looks like a treasure, it's got solid practical application, and it's just one more thing to raise the eyebrows of the few confused folks that know me for my Lucifer-praising ways. 

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this