• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:29 PM

Great post Zombie, thank you for the info!
I do like working with the saints and their prayers as well.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#42 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:55 AM

Yea, me too. Secret Catholic Alert! :D

#43 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:31 AM

I've always liked St Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Sun for making circles. A browse through Amazon books for Psalm Magic brought up a couple familiar books: William Alexander Oribello's "Candle Burning with the Psalms" (there's a less expesive "travel" edition as well) and Anna Riva's "Magic of the Psalms.".

Ive cultivated a custom of year+a day study, devoting a year to one topic at a time as it appealed to me, & taking it at my leisure. Roughly 20 years ago I'd spent a year with Psalm magic, practice & made notes, etc., yadda yadda. Can't beat a seven day candle and a psalm for hex breaking. I figured my semi-Christian upbringing is stamped on my psyche so I may as well make it work for me.

Ive dug out my old Notebook & here's a short list of what I'd used:

Disturbing ghosts & spirits, Ps 144-145
Good fortune, Ps 65
Health, receiving healing Ps 6, 21
Help in time of need ps 18
Hex break, uncrossing Ps 7, 8
Increase understanding of situation Ps 119, verse 105-112
Increase wisdom Ps 119, verse 97-104
Mental clarity Ps 115
Psychic development Ps 78
Repel all harmful conditions Ps 100
Spiritual enlightenment Ps 25
Thanksgiving Ps 30, 116

If there is a name of the god-form in the Psalm then etch that name on a candle, or use a marker to write on the glass encased type. Traditionally you'd dress votive or taper candles with olive oil by rolling them between your oiled palms. Glass jar candles get 3 drops of olive oil on top in an upward triangle (fire symbol) and then it's spiraled around from the wick outwards. Recitations are done three times each for three days = 9. Several other methods exist bcs there's never just one way to do anything, right?

Ps 119 has some specific healing texts. It has 22 divisions, each with 8 verses. Each of the 22 divisions starts with a Hebrew letter as a power form that can be used like a rune or sigil & etched in the candle. Use the one that starts the division containing the verse you use.

Ps119:

Arms, lines 97-104 right side, lines 121-128 left side
Depression, lines 49-56
Ears, lines 153-160 right side, lines 169-176 left side
Eyesight, lines 17-24
Headache, lines 161-168
Hip, kidneys, liver lines 65-72
Left leg, lines 145-152 ( apparently I didn't record right leg) :(
Palsy, lines 1-8
Torso, lines 57-64

I love this idea :) What a great way to get in deep with some learning. I've just recently purchased 'power of the psalms from book depository, but amazon also has it. I've heard good things. 

#44 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:40 PM

Yea, that's the right title. I had it as "magic" but it's "Power of the Ps." I was also thinking of Charmaine Dey's "the Magic Candle"... which is another one of those classic books.

#45 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:02 PM

Haha! I realised later it was the same author and I did wonder 😊 thanks, I’ll check that one out, too

#46 Mikham

Mikham

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:57 AM

I use Psalms to prepare pentacles, and in ceremonial magic. There are a lot of grimoires that suggest their use for that purpose. Most prayers I use to contact spirits and during rituals are based on psams or they contain some extracts from the Bible.

#47 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:38 PM

I use Psalms to prepare pentacles, and in ceremonial magic. There are a lot of grimoires that suggest their use for that purpose. Most prayers I use to contact spirits and during rituals are based on psams or they contain some extracts from the Bible.

That sounds interesting :) do you do candle magic with your psalms, as well?

My Power of the Psalms book and my Psalms of David by Freemantle came yesterday. I'm really starting to get into these Psalms, I really enjoy them. And the Freemantle version of Psalms of David is absolutely beautiful :) it feels so old school and magical. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. It helps me to feel inspired when I'm doing my Psalms, because the beautiful calligraphy and illustrations seem to raise my vibe quite a bit.

#48 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:29 PM

Just looked up the Freemantle version. It really is beautiful! I love its homey and artistic style. I have my grandma's old Trinity Psalter from the Presbyterian church she was very active in while she was with us. The Psalms in it have been rearranged to rhyme as they were used in song, and I'm not sure how I feel about the changes. On one hand, they're easy to memorize, but on the other....eh, I'm a purist. That Freemantle version from what I could see in a preview is right up my alley.

#49 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

Phaedra, it's unbearably beautiful :) I feel like I'm peeking inside a very old, gorgeous notebook. Sigh. And it really enhances my enthusiasm for it all.

#50 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

Well, I don't need any more convincing. It looks like a treasure, it's got solid practical application, and it's just one more thing to raise the eyebrows of the few confused folks that know me for my Lucifer-praising ways. 

#51 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

LOL, definitely! I was raised atheist (I'm not atheist anymore, but I still resonate highly with atheists and identify quite a bit with them), and when I first came upon this thread, I was very resistent to the idea of using the bible. Obviously, I've gotten into it, but really, anything that helps me to feel comfortable with it, and makes it more accessible to someone with my sort of background, is very much appreciated :) 

#52 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:52 PM

Oh man, I had some serious oppositions to using or working with anything that had a Christian imprint on it through the entirety of my teen years, and it continued to be a reoccurring roadblock afterwards as I began to really define my path. My detour into Buddhism and a study of the more non-dual, contemplative practices of Catholic mystics helped to dismantle my hangups in the area, and I'm really glad it did.

#53 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:01 PM

That's a good thing! I've come to a place, where I'm secure enough in what I believe, that no other religion can shake that, so I guess once I realised that, I had no problems trying this out. The only time I feel threatened by christianity nowadays is if someone tries to convert my kids, other than that, I'm in a good place with it all :)

#54 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:15 PM

That's great; shaking off the cold clammy hands that dogmatic institutions like to lay on folks can be some real bummer shadow work, but its so liberating to have it in your rear-view, ain't it? It was a rocky journey on this end, growing up in a little spit of a town where practically everyone went to the same church, but there's no better place to be than one of harmony with your surroundings. I should make good on this, though, and actually USE the psalms out of this lovely new book when it arrives. Can't just stare at pretty pictures and calligraphy!

I wonder if there's a Psalm that can help set right some seriously bad feline behavior. My cat pissed on my bedsheets last night, and it's been a longtime issue of her doing her business where I'd really rather her not.

#55 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:37 PM

Just ran into this article that tickled my fancy to say the least. Maybe changing holy words around to befit your personal paradigm doesn't affect their oomph after all? Apparently it's a practice as old as the pyramids.

http://cojs.org/scho...-_jan-feb_1985/

#56 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:33 AM

Oh, that was an interesting read! Thanks for sharing. I started out using the psalms by changing the wording, such as the names of the gods, and also changing genders that were brought up. Then, after discussion on here, started using the psalms with words unchanged, but instead directed to one male god of mine. Both have worked very well.

I will say that the difference/benefit I've noticed to using the psalms exactly as is, is that I'm starting to remember the words better now as I read them. There's more flow. But certainly, changing them does seem to procure the same results for me.

The cat peeing on the bed is a toughy! Obviously, there doesn't seem to be anything specific in the psalms :P but, when it happens, does it wake you up and upset your sleep, or do you find it in the morning? If it's disrupting your sleep, perhaps you could try psalms 4 for good sleep? I really don't know. I've been having a dabble with different ones for day to day things at the moment, and it's been good to see what happens :)

#57 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:33 PM

Yeah, no, it just pisses me off well after she's done the deed and I finally discover it. She's had a problem of (heavily) marking things that she finds comfortable for a while now. I'll probably take her in to make sure it isn't an actual bladder health issue and take it from there....all in all, I really don't know how big of an effect coercive or corrective magic has on animals, or if there's even much on record about folks' success in that area. Hmm, potentially a topic for another thread.

The new psalter came in yesterday! Its beautiful, and heftier than expected; feels satisfying in the hands and the pages read well despite their artsy nature. Admittedly, something in my belly doesn't quite agree with me using the words as they are in the Jewish/X-tian raw of the scripture...a tinge of inner resistance that I could either put up with until it possibly normalizes and stops signaling the alarm, or step around by adapting the wording to better fit my ways. I'll give it a go for the upcoming weeks; have some banework to do, which only feels right, and I live in the same vicinity with the target so I can measure results or a lack thereof well enough. 

#58 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

LOL! Gonna say something unpopular here, but I do not like cats. I mean, we have a cat here, I'm nice enough to her, but, nope. I can't handle the spraying. My partner and I were so annoyed today, we found out she'd been spraying on the bedroom floor right next to his side of the bed! Blergh! So if you find out, let me know! :P

#59 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

Dogs are waaaay easier to house train. Just sayin’. :P

#60 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts