• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Lazy witch

• Moderators
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

I personally do not use the Bible, but live in an area where many magic folk are actually Xtian, so I imagine they use it as a magical tool without realizing.

I do know of one woman in particular who "Bible dipped", or use the Bible as a form of divination. She would connect with God and ask for guidance, then fling the book open and put her finger on a random spot on the page with her eyes closed. When she opened them, she would take whatever paragraph her finger landed on as her answer.

RSKHFMY

#22 CrowSnakeHareToad

CrowSnakeHareToad

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:09 PM

I personally do not use the Bible, but live in an area where many magic folk are actually Xtian, so I imagine they use it as a magical tool without realizing.

I do know of one woman in particular who "Bible dipped", or use the Bible as a form of divination. She would connect with God and ask for guidance, then fling the book open and put her finger on a random spot on the page with her eyes closed. When she opened them, she would take whatever paragraph her finger landed on as her answer.

I have tried this. Is very interesting

#23 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

bible dipped - I love it! :roflhard:
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#24 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Lazy witch

• Moderators
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

"Hey Bible, what will my day hold for me?"

"The Lord answered, 'Bring me a heifer three years old, a she-goat, three years old, a ram three years old, a turtle dove and a young pigeon.'"

:kat:

RSKHFMY

#25 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:47 PM

Sounds like a fascinating/horrific breeding project. :coffee:
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#26 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:03 PM

That'd be one hell of a parade to watch walking into a church now-a-days.

#27 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Lazy witch

• Moderators
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:16 PM

Hahaha " i am here Lord, and I did not expect my day to go like this! ...What now?!"

RSKHFMY

#28 CrowSnakeHareToad

CrowSnakeHareToad

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:21 PM

haha some peoject that would be!

#29 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:15 AM

"Hey Bible, what will my day hold for me?"

"The Lord answered, 'Bring me a heifer three years old, a she-goat, three years old, a ram three years old, a turtle dove and a young pigeon.'"

:kat:

OMFG!! :roflhard:

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#30 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:08 AM

What does the day hold for me? The BOD says;

Attached Files

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#31 Faeriechilde

Faeriechilde

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:47 PM

That is an interesting concept.To be honest I have never thought about using the bible for anything; craft related or not. Hmmm..Soon I will be living with my best friend.She has a bible.Could be interesting...

#32 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:36 PM

I grew up Catholic, which is highly mystical..I use biblical magic all the time....although, it is more part of my hoodoo practice. Want the nastiest curse you've ever seen? Psalm 109. You have no idea what I've done with that verse, some tequila, and assorted...things.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#33 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:14 AM

I can only imagine. LOL

#34 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

I grew up Catholic, which is highly mystical..I use biblical magic all the time....although, it is more part of my hoodoo practice. Want the nastiest curse you've ever seen? Psalm 109. You have no idea what I've done with that verse, some tequila, and assorted...things.

I'm all ears! :twisted_witch: LOL
And holy shit- remind me not to piss you off!! What's NOT included in that psalm for cursing?!! So do you use the Catholic bible then for your Hoodoo?

That's also another thing I forgot about getting over my adversion to using the bible in magic- I have so much of it fucking memorized. Never thought THAT would the benefit I got out of going to church growing up :rofl:

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#35 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:11 AM

I just had my brand new bible arrive today, thanks to this great thread 😊 I did my first ever psalm curse at the last full moon and it was a pain, researching psalms on the computer.

I’m curious; which other parts of the bible are good for spells? Does anyone have any suggestions? I’m keen to dig in with my new tool 😛 also, I’d love to use some verses for cleaning, but I’m not sure what’s good for that.

#36 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:48 PM

The psalms are great for all kinds of working. I will post a reference for those interested in its own topic.

Specifically for cleaning,one of the best is 51:7 "purge me with hyssop".

Edited by Solanaceae, 10 April 2018 - 01:50 PM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#37 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:44 PM

You are awesome, Sol, thanks so much :)

#38 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:08 PM

The first that came to my mind for using the Bible were the Songs of Solomon. I’m thinking some interesting love magic could be worked; or at least a good old fashioned lust spell. 

#39 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:40 PM

If I didn't worship the gods I do I might. I am not comfortable using anything Christian in my practice. 

#40 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:26 PM

I've always liked St Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Sun for making circles. A browse through Amazon books for Psalm Magic brought up a couple familiar books: William Alexander Oribello's "Candle Burning with the Psalms" (there's a less expesive "travel" edition as well) and Anna Riva's "Magic of the Psalms.".

Ive cultivated a custom of year+a day study, devoting a year to one topic at a time as it appealed to me, & taking it at my leisure. Roughly 20 years ago I'd spent a year with Psalm magic, practice & made notes, etc., yadda yadda. Can't beat a seven day candle and a psalm for hex breaking. I figured my semi-Christian upbringing is stamped on my psyche so I may as well make it work for me.

Ive dug out my old Notebook & here's a short list of what I'd used:

Disturbing ghosts & spirits, Ps 144-145
Good fortune, Ps 65
Health, receiving healing Ps 6, 21
Help in time of need ps 18
Hex break, uncrossing Ps 7, 8
Increase understanding of situation Ps 119, verse 105-112
Increase wisdom Ps 119, verse 97-104
Mental clarity Ps 115
Psychic development Ps 78
Repel all harmful conditions Ps 100
Spiritual enlightenment Ps 25
Thanksgiving Ps 30, 116

If there is a name of the god-form in the Psalm then etch that name on a candle, or use a marker to write on the glass encased type. Traditionally you'd dress votive or taper candles with olive oil by rolling them between your oiled palms. Glass jar candles get 3 drops of olive oil on top in an upward triangle (fire symbol) and then it's spiraled around from the wick outwards. Recitations are done three times each for three days = 9. Several other methods exist bcs there's never just one way to do anything, right?

Ps 119 has some specific healing texts. It has 22 divisions, each with 8 verses. Each of the 22 divisions starts with a Hebrew letter as a power form that can be used like a rune or sigil & etched in the candle. Use the one that starts the division containing the verse you use.

Ps119:

Arms, lines 97-104 right side, lines 121-128 left side
Depression, lines 49-56
Ears, lines 153-160 right side, lines 169-176 left side
Eyesight, lines 17-24
Headache, lines 161-168
Hip, kidneys, liver lines 65-72
Left leg, lines 145-152 (edit: right leg is vs. 97-104, same as eight arm)
Palsy, lines 1-8
Torso, lines 57-64

Edited by Zombee, 16 April 2018 - 09:57 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bible, Psalms, Occult